• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mod Request: Submit Skill Gain Logs using SE/ML/SA items

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What is a Skill Gain Log?

A Skill Gain Log is a record of the time and materials spent training a skill up to its maximum, and the methods used to do so. In the case of Smith training, one would also need (for purposes of smelting) to also indicate what mining skill the character is also at. You will also want to note if and when you've used powerscrolls, for Smith & Tailor logs, and if you are crafting weapons & armor, gains in Arms Lore that might result.

Sections to include

Conditions: The first section should include the Parameters for the skill training session.
Things like -
  • the tools being used
  • how items are recycled or disposed of (such as via quests or library donations, and any rewards/points gained). Recycling smith items with a salvage bag makes a considerable difference in ingot return (as does Mining, which determines the base ingot return before the bag bonus). Tailor returns are based on the Tailoring skill.
  • If one of my recommended skill training guides is used (I especially want these tested)
  • If a talisman is used (recommended that talismans not be used).
  • Other factors (total skill points, whether the sessions contain gains from the Guaranteed Gain System, etc.) Also, Siege Perilous has its own skill gain system to consider.
Training Data:

Reply contains the actual data for the tests. If you start from 0 skill, buying the skill, or creating a character with 30 or 50 base skill, include this information, as well if you are training a skill that has uses a New Haven Accelerated Training Quest.

Data should also include:
  • Material Consumption; Gross (without recycling) and Net (if items recycled, material returned is subracted from the gross). Net Consumption most important if items recycled, Gross is more important if items are disposed of by other methods.
  • Amount of items the training session produced (optional, but recommended - it's a good yardstick of the effort required)
  • (Optional) differentiation between amount of material lost in successes, as opposed to lost in failures. Fairly easy to calculate for any crafting, other than Tailors.
  • Amount of tools needed for the job (optional)
  • Time spent doing the job
  • Starting and finishing skill level for the training session.
For Example, a Smith skill gain log might start out -

Start: Bought Blacksmithy, Arms Lore and Mining up to 40 at Hesphaestus in New Haven. Accepted Hesphaestus' skill quest there, and Jacob's mining quest. No Smith Powerscroll used as yet.

a. Trained mining to 90 skill (40 to 50 skill in Jacob's accelerated gain area)before beginning smith training, accumulated roughly 12000 ingots. Bought Salvage bag from Provisioner. Total time: 6 hours

b. Returned to Hesphaestus' shop. Crafted daggers to 48 skill, maces from 48-50 skill, in accelerated skill gain area, recycling the made items (wielding Jacob's pickaxe to have 100 mining, and wearing +3 studded mining gloves picked up off the floor in Luna, for 103 Mining skill).

c. 0 net loss of ingots from daggers from salvage, from use of salvage bag with 103 mining. -1 ingot per salvage from maces. These losses, plus losses from failures, totaled 204 ingots. Total time: 20 minutes. Arms Lore increased to 43.2 skill

session 2:

a. crafted Maces to 55 skill; Time Spent: XXX; ingots lost through use (after recycling & failures) XXX.
b. Switched to Cutlasses at 55 skill; gained to 66 skill: Time Spent: XXX; Ingots lost: XXX.
Arms Lore: increased from 43.2 to 55.3 over length of session.

Session 3: Acquired a 110 PS before this session.
c. Trained on Krysses from 66.1 to 80.5....

See the Skill gain log for Blacksmith 100-120, in the Craftsman Data File subforum, as an example of a highly detailed skill gain log.

The following charts will prove useful to someone designing their own training session for Blacksmith or Tailor. They show the maximum skill one can gain to with most simple items, based on the Powerscroll one has used, and are an expanded version of the charts essential to the old Skill Gain Logs and training recommendations. Note these are the points where skill STOPS gaining; the "sweet spot" for gains, according to the devs as well as all previous FAQs, lie where an item is 60% to 80% chance of success (possibly expanded with powerscrolls much like the maximum skill, to 50% to 90% if one has used a 120 PS - this was a debate topic in the old days as well)

Smith Chart
Tailor Chart

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Skill Gain Log For Blacksmith Skill 100 to 120 now in the Craftsman Data File subforum...

S

Stupid Miner

Didn't follow the guidelines, but wanted to note: 30-100 Fletching took ~60,000 wood.
Followed the Bowyers's guide for what to craft:
# Bow
30-59.9

# Crossbow
60-69.9

# Composite Bow
70-79.9

# Heavy Crossbow
80-89.9

# Repeating Crossbow
90-100

P

Pandaros

Hi, this is not exactly a skill gain log but maybe it should still go under this thread.

I followed your guide on Carpentry with just one modification in the last step. After 94 skill gnarled staves were too easy to make so I switched to tetsubos. They require more wood (10 instead of 7) but their success chance was much lower so when I switched I immediately started to gain faster.

94-GM took about 15k boards using this method (I did it over a long period and did not keep log so this can be a bit off). My switching point was definitely not optimal and maybe one should consider switching to tesubos around 90 skill but I don't know how the improved gain chance compensates for the extra wood needed...