• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Missing Armour Inherent Bonuses in description

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Platemail, ringmail, chainmail, and dragon armour (non mage armour)should display:
Lower Mana Cost 1% / +1% Max
and some sort of info on heavy bonus to stamina loss reduction

Studded leather, hide armour, stone armour and bone armour (non mage armour)should display:
Lower Mana Cost 3% / +3% Max
and some sort of info on light bonus to stamina loss reduction.

Please add these to all armour, why should the elite old guard only know this information? It should be available to new players also.

Last edited:

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not that easy.
I.e. only five pieces count for the LMC bonus and the stam loss reduction. So the new player you're speaking of, would then ask:
"I'm wearing six pieces of bone armor, all say Lower Mana Cost 3% / +3% Max. Why do I still only have only 55% LMC?"

Of course you could write a novel into the tooltip explaining everything. Which would kind of suck as well.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah there are complications, but other armour shows lower mana cost, you wouldn't omit the lower mana cost or hit point regeneration as they're capped at 40% and 18 respectively. Or not dispilay energy resists as elves are capped at 75 and humans 70...

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But yes in typical uo style they over complicated it to only work for 5 out of 6 pieces...

Reactions: Lug

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I didn't know about this bonus. Does it apply to Tiger pelt or leaf? And, does it say mage armor if it is?

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone who joined post April 2013, will never have any way of knowing about these hidden mods.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any new player has almost no way to know about anything in this game.
But that's usually where the community comes into play.
Let's be honest, anything a new player knows, he most probably got told by someone else, who is playing this game a little bit longer...
And new players are the least of our problems as long as this game isn't on steam (which probably won't ever happen) or it is F2P (hopefully Endless Journey is our 20th anniv birthday present).

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So... this is what all in game items should now look like?

Please delete your account.
Can this thread get even more sillier?

So let's recap:

First, it is about a hidden stamina loss reduction, which most people don't even care about, since the whole stamina loss is negligible, because people have more than enough tools at their disposal to get that stamina back.
The stamina loss base line has never been increased, because they were afraid that people would have to rework all their suits. Yes, if they would have dramatically increased the loss for light armor, made medium armor loosing a little bit more stamina than pre-patch and heavy armor like it is now, then yes, it would be more impactful and most probably worth mentioning in the tooltip.

Second, it is about the inherent LMC, which isn't affected by the 40% cap. This is as well no big game changer. The really expensive spells, which actually benefit from those extra 15% are top tier spells from magic schools. So if you're such a caster you would be wearing light armor for MR anyways. (And yes, mage armor negates the inherent bonus).

Bottom line, it is a nice to know for people, who like to min-max their suit to the tiniest bit. Who does that? Definitely not the majority. And those who do, were able to solo bosses pre-patch 81 as well without those changes. So how important is it to know? If you're long enough playing the game, you'll probably stumble over it or a guild mate will tell you. But it is in no way essential.
Seriously, so what exactly is your point?

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think WE all agree that the knowledge Base of uo.com cant maybe compare with stratics or even uogide. Obviousely it would make Sense to get some Agreement between them and JC (the uoguide dude if iam Not wrong)
So that uo Guide can be listed a official Info Place.

Yes we know the new Player experience is basically Not existing.

But why the hell do everyone need that everything is nowadays made for the (no offene here) biggest donkey?!

I play this game now a while with a 10 year Break. I stopped 2004 and when I Cam back I had nothing except my Accounts with some poor Tones and skills. So I was like completely fresh too with no clue at all...

I did the Same I did 2001 I asked people who then explain me stuff and told me where I find information.

And guess what? I found what I need... I think I know quite some stuff now which allowed me to be Not poor anymore so I can buy stuff like a Big House in ATL and some rares.

Why all kiddos today need the Warning on a Cup of coffee that coffee is very Hot and pouring it over your got damn Body (random Body Parts) is Not the brightest idea.

You Guys Play a MMORPG Not a singleplayer Version of Sim city.
Interact with people. Find friends. Maybe a guild. Be Open to the world you Play in and you will get help.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While I can agree that certainly players must take responsibility for learning the game... truth of the matter is the game does a seriously poor job of helping... infact it's downright horrible. Having met new players who didn't even know they could bank items as they had no clue that there was a "bank" for storing stuff... I can say the game has a horrid learning curve and all.

Going to the website is confusing and well.... frustrating... however anyone who's got half a brain and ability can "google" just about anything on the web and googling UO will get you at least here if not to UOGuide... either of which are great wealths of information "if" you know what your looking for... sometimes looking for answers on either site can prove overwhelming...

And when it comes to deciding things like character building, templates, what is good gear for what build etc... that can just be so complicated that people just want to throw their hands in the air and say )&*#)$&#@ it... I know I have on more than one occasion... the other thing is just because something "works" for someone doesn't mean it works for everyone... not everyone has the same skill level or dexterity to do certain tasks... or even physical capability...

I know my own limitations... and they pretty much tell me that certain things are out of the question...

So I don't blame anyone for losing a house or getting scammed or falling victim to many other things... certainly yes in a perfect world we would all be totally aware of everything... but in a perfect world there wouldn't be people out to scam folk either...

The game is woefully inadequate to support new and/or returning players when it comes to how to play the game. Not to mention the main character creation menu is woefully outdated... the old standbys for making Mage's, warriors and such is just well... bad. No one builds characters like that anymore and sadly when new people start and use one of those premade templates it just sets them up for disappointment...

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I met a new player who was making a warrior. I told him to use studded armour and not leather because of the extra lmc. He was really greatful and said he would look into it after he had found old haven.

I told him he was just a couple of screens away and was very greatful as he had no idea where it was after the quest he picked up told him to go there.

There is way more important stuff to fix for new players. I mean that joke of a tutorial doesn't even show what a moongate is.

Last edited:

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Dont get me wrong. I See it like you.
But a Little efford should be made by everyone even if its only seeking for help

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm confused once again

I believe back in the renaissance if you had all plate on you would take less damage but lost stamina
And mages would only wear robes so they could regain mana faster

So now I get a bounce not a penalty for wearing all plate ?
And a mage gets a bonus for wearing studded leather ?

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So now I get a bounce not a penalty for wearing all plate ?
And a mage gets a bonus for wearing studded leather ?

Leather, Cloth & items with "Mage Armor" allow meditation but offer no stamina damage protection or additional lower mana cost bonuses.
Studded, Bone, Stone & Hide Armor provide a +3 lower mana cost bonus per piece up to 5 pieces (+15 lower mana cost up to 55%) & a low stamina damage protection. (prevents meditation)
Plate Armor & equivalents are +1 lower mana cost, up to 5 pieces (+5 lower mana cost up to 45%) & a high stamina damage protection. (prevents meditation)

Quite a few mage templates run with studded armor due to item mana regeneration being sufficient enough for most activities, in addition to having up to 55% lower mana cost.

It's also worth noting that only non-medible armor is able to be Refined to increase resistance caps & lower defense chance caps Or increase defense caps and lower resistance caps.

Most of this stuff you have little to no way to find out in-game without someone explaining it or looking it up on a website. even some of the item properties could use some clarification in-game with soft/hard caps & a detailed description of how said property works, some are self explanitory (for the most part) but not all of them.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The online resources for the stuff above should all be on the refine page. I have wondered why some armor can get certain choices when refining. The way it is now, a new player wouldn't even know what they need to look up.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really do appreciate all of your help

I quit playing right when they changed the dungeons I believe it was shame and deceit? with all the new loot and ways to craft / enhance it.

I don't even know what "refine" is ?

All I remember is it was a lot of new resources needed and even more complex.

None of my characters can go in 90% of the dungeons they are very out dated and weak.

I love this game but it's far to complex for me. Maybe I should just stick to the free shards pre pub 16 or at most renaissance.

Thank you again for your help

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really do appreciate all of your help

I quit playing right when they changed the dungeons I believe it was shame and deceit? with all the new loot and ways to craft / enhance it.

I don't even know what "refine" is ?

All I remember is it was a lot of new resources needed and even more complex.

None of my characters can go in 90% of the dungeons they are very out dated and weak.

I love this game but it's far to complex for me. Maybe I should just stick to the free shards pre pub 16 or at most renaissance.

Thank you again for your help
I will be campaigning to make the game mechanics more transparent, one step at a time with each patch. I think even the elite old guard are sick of playing with the same old enemies and we want new people to play. I managed to get the devs to include buffs and debuffs for pretty much every spell and special so they do listen, because it's in their interest to get new players to continue to subscribe to the game.