• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Missed Mark...

• Thread starter Fingers of Cats
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
F

Fingers of Cats

Well I must say I had my first mark yesterday and missed it! Of course it didn't help that my hiding/stealth/snooping are still all in the 30s and stealing is at GM!

The Target had on Pendant of the Magi and the Gloves of the Pugilist all uninsured as he was near the bank in Skara Fel.

I tried to strike up a conversation to start the "trade phase" of a good way to get the items into his backpack. Then I realized he was getting gold out to put in his packy and saw the "So-and-so just stole 350 gold from a pack horse!" and realized he was a training thief.

*sigh*

Gotta keep to the code!

C

Cruxshadow

heres the real question, does the code apply to dungeon only thieves as well? seems like there should be an amendment for consideration of these 'part-timers'

F

Fingers of Cats

I think they should put some sort of an extra line in The Code about that... that The Code only applies to PvP Thieves!

C

Cruxshadow

I think they should put some sort of an extra line in The Code about that... that The Code only applies to PvP Thieves!
i second this motion! lol.

The thief population is so low these days that i think alot of people know who the other pvp thieves are on thier shards, and if you see a new name, they are probably either a dungeon scrounger or a new pvp thief in training. it would be easy to find out who is what by a simple conversation (which would also give ample time to snoop their pack and last target an item to be ready once you get an answer). and if it does turn out to be a new pvp thief in training, you can invite them into the fold.

M

Mairut

Rule #10.

I think...not that I'd know exactly, being new(ish)...thats covered. What UO players call "pvm thieves" simply steal things from dungeons.

They aren't covered under the code, if you read the above numbered rule in a certain way.

Then again, neither should pvp-thieves-in-training be considered "thieves" if you read it that way...not that I'm suggesting we start stealing from them too...

I say just ask them if they're training for pvp or dungeon, and doing like Cruxshadow said, accepting them into the fold if its pvp.

Just my $.02

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I thought the code mentioned something to the effect of, "Thou shalt not call thyself a thief unless thou hast stolen from thy fellow player." This would exclude so-called "part-timers."

F

Fingers of Cats

so you're saying if they are in training, it's more than likely that they haven't stolen from a player and they are free to be taken advantage of even if they are a PvP thief in training :)

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Have you opened one of Chad's boxes? Thieves in training on Siege often do. :)

M

Mairut

I thought the code mentioned something to the effect of, "Thou shalt not call thyself a thief unless thou hast stolen from thy fellow player." This would exclude so-called "part-timers."
I'm glad you agree with me...it's rule#10 btw, from the thieves' den list. :)

M

Mairut

so you're saying if they are in training, it's more than likely that they haven't stolen from a player and they are free to be taken advantage of even if they are a PvP thief in training :)
I covered my arse on that one, sorry :p:
...not that I'm suggesting we start stealing from them too...
"Them" being the new pvp thieves. I wasn't being sarcastic...

Something to keep in mind though, is that anyone can make a character, dress it up in shadow dancer legs and a burg's bandana; and then claim to be training it as a pvp thief (and keep telling you that they're doing this for weeks) just to keep you from stealing from them.

F

Fingers of Cats

So they're fair game til you see them at Yew gate stealing aides?!?!?! :p The good PvP thieves you never see :p

M

Mairut

/headdesk...lol :p jk

Here's how I see it:

If someone in your guild hasn't finished training a thief in a reasonable amount of time, you kick them. Since they aren't part of your group, and haven't stolen anything, then yes they are fair game.

If they finish training thieving after that, then either recruit them again or know that under the code they are off limits.

If they are training a pvp thief and aren't in your guild, recruit them.

And as far as "thou shalt not steal..." etc....We don't follow that to the letter in the guild I'm in, and often use the opportunity of having other thieves around to practice (on each other). It's fun figuring out who actually has fencing and will pwn you if you give them a reason ;)
Of course, I couldn't imagine a fellow stealing a 120 I just stole...then again, I'm not walking into a thief GH with a 120 either.

The "do not loot"...I don't think I would have made off with half the things I did, when I was first training, if another thief hadn't been there to loot the item (and give it back to me) even though I didn't ask.

Soooo.....I'd say just use common sense.

As far as pvm thieves...they aren't covered under the code imo.

A

Arch Magus

I dont care who's out there..
if they have something you want then just take it.....

why do you think you need to follow some code put into place like, a decade ago
:lol:

T

The Green Thief

Honor among thieves, you simpleton. We take care of our own.

DaveSP!

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont care who's out there..
if they have something you want then just take it.....

why do you think you need to follow some code put into place like, a decade ago
:lol:

*shrugs*

communities were important back then - Like any other, the Thief community needed a set of rules to function properly, with the decline of the game it's probably not as important these days though

Chad Sexington

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*shrugs*

communities were important back then - Like any other, the Thief community needed a set of rules to function properly, with the decline of the game it's probably not as important these days though
Well, he's right, kinda. On non-siege shards, you don't really "need" anyone else. They can't touch you anyway. There's at least 1 or 2 thieves that steal from others on Siege, but I've never seen then out of stealth for more than a second.

If you either go to Trammel to talk to your friends or on Siege, play forever in stealth... you don't really need anyone and you can do whatever you want, I s'pose.

Just doesn't sound fun to me.

F

Fingers of Cats

Great support there Chad! Classic Chad with Sexington appeal!