• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Minions

G

Okay, maybe I don't have the heart of a Warlock. Maybe I should stick with Warriors and Paladins and just bang on things with whatever's handy. But I'm trying to push the envelope.

So I have this Warlock. Level 30-something. With minions. Is it my imagination, or are all these minions kind of lame? Or am I not playing them correctly?

To whit:

1. Midgit Gargoyle Dude (okay, I can't remember what he's called)--A) you have the critter attack first, the baddie comes, steps on him, then begins banging on you, which hurts because you're only wearing cloth, or B)you attack baddie with ranged spells, he comes up and begins banging on you, critter helps, and eventually you end up slightly better than in A) because the critter is still alive. You, on the other hand, look like Beetle Bailey after the Sarge is done with him.

Evaluation: Gargoyle Dude sucks.

2. Blueberry--A) you have the critter attack first and tank for you. As a tank, my hunter's bear and tiger are a lot better. You stay back, nail with ranged spells, and draw aggro, getting pounded on. B) You attack baddie first, and you end up like Beetle Bailey again.

Evaluation: Blueberry doesn't suck as bad as Gargoyle Dude.

3. Beeyotch with Wings--A) you have the critter attack first, the baddie steps on her, then starts banging on you. B) You attack first, baddie starts banging on you straightaway, and the Beeyotch makes funny sounds with her whip, not doing much damage. End result: Beetle Bailey Syndrome.

Evalutaion: Worse than Gargoyle Dude because it's a waste of a soul stone.

So what am I doing wrong?

G

The Imp does suck till you start training it.

Which would be my first question....are you buying the grimoires at each level and teaching your minions to become better and better? If not, there might be part of your problem.

Bloo (my nickname for the VW) is by far the best. Though once trained, the succubus can pull off alot of agro and is good for crowd control.

The benefit to Bloo is that he can generally hold aggro. Your job, as a lock, is to do Damage over time, not to wipe out the creature. Your job is to back up your minion. My advice, Immolate, Corruption, Curse of Agony (or weakness) and then using either a wand or shadow bolt if you wannamake it a quick kill. Warlocks are slower kills. They do damage over time instead of right up front.

I play a Hunter, a Druid and a Lock...a Lock is awesome when you get higher levels. One thing I will advise is using the icons for your pet once their trained to get them to do specific things. Example, sacrifice on Bloo can save your ass at times. I know that one for sure. Having Bloo out when you're running around and travelling, he will pull aggro off of you and you can safelly run away.

If I can be of any help, the hubby is a 60 lock on Bronzebeard and I'm in my upper 20s-30s on Whisperwind/Bronzebeard....so I can offer some advice

G

Thanks.

Yes, I'm using all the Grimoires. They don't seem all that effect.

Damage over time is a good attitude to take. I'll have to work on changing to that mind-set.

I use the Blueberry almost exclusively. One of my complaints is how big it is. Frequently a second baddie targets the critter, and once baddie #1 is toast, I cannot target #2 because the critter is too big and fat. I guess there's a keyboard way to do that I'll have to figure out.

G

Actually there is a trick I can tell you about....

Click on big Bloo. Beneath his life bar to the right in a smaller version is the life bar of the second creature attacking him after the first creature is dead. You dont even have to target the creature, just tap blue then start firing. It should change to the creature your minion is targeting.

On the Minions, something I've notice,d having two warlocks on two different servers, and having had an undead lock before just to play with it.....It seems to be a roll of dice as to how weak or strong they are. My lock on Bronzebeard and the undead lock seemed to have much stronger abilities than my Lock that is higher level on Whisperwind. My Imp and Bloo would die in situations on WW that they did fine in on Bronzebeard.

DoT is a Lock's best friend. Use your area effects or high threat spells when you have a warrior/paladin/someone who can draw the aggro off of you. Otherwise, hang back and use DoT.

Also use fear. If you have too many creatures ganging up on you and Bloo, stack them with DoT spells then Fear one of them away. Works nicely.

Good luck!

G

<font color=blue>&gt;&gt; . . . when you have a warrior/paladin/someone who can draw the aggro off of you.</font color=blue>

Umm . . . I rarely do the "G-word" with others. Grouping is a bit of a time-sink and I really don't have all that much time. Perhaps someday when I grow up.

<font color=blue>&gt;&gt;Also use fear.</font color=blue>

Here's what happens when I use fear. The baddie runs off to his biggest, meanest, buddies, and says "that man over there in the funny dress just scared me. Let's gank him."

Good hints, though. I'll have to try them.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<font color=blue>&gt;&gt; . . . when you have a warrior/paladin/someone who can draw the aggro off of you.</font color=blue>

Umm . . . I rarely do the "G-word" with others. Grouping is a bit of a time-sink and I really don't have all that much time. Perhaps someday when I grow up.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Well deary, you can't do instances like Stockades or BFD or DM solo. You have to group. And when you group for those you get a group XP bonus stacked on top of the normal XP you're getting. Yes, grouping will divide the XP more but at the same time, the quests, like for stocks, will give you 2650XP per quest...there were 3-4 quests for it. A lot more of your XP should come from completing quests rather than killing creatures (or so everyone keeps telling me and I have just started learning that).

<blockquote><hr>

<font color=blue>&gt;&gt;Also use fear.</font color=blue>

Here's what happens when I use fear. The baddie runs off to his biggest, meanest, buddies, and says "that man over there in the funny dress just scared me. Let's gank him."

Good hints, though. I'll have to try them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I normally fear the highest level one there. If your pet is doing his job right, he should be able to hold the aggro of most of them.

Just dont make the mistake I made.....area effect when I had no tank with me.....OUCH

B

Bo Riddler

<blockquote><hr>

One of my complaints is how big it is. Frequently a second baddie targets the critter, and once baddie #1 is toast, I cannot target #2 because the critter is too big and fat. I guess there's a keyboard way to do that I'll have to figure out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "Tab" Button is your friend. I do not use my keyboard, with very few exceptions. One is the Tab key to get around my VW.

Great discussion by the way.

On using fear to avoid aggro, that is a difficult skill that takes a while to master. One of the new how-to guides written for the recent contest used the example of "fear kiting" to stay alive. But I have not found that luck yet.

But, my 42nd Warlock does not go it alone. My wife is also a player and my lock's partner is a warrior of his same level. But I find it curious while my VW and my wifes Warrior are pounding on some meanie, and my DoT's are stacking up, I hit with the occasional Shadow Bolt and win all the aggro.

When that mob comes at my little Gnome after eating a bolt, I know I'm hitting, at least occasionally, harder than the angered Warrior that is slicing it up.

That is why I dig Warclocks!

Bo

G

<font color=blue>&gt;&gt;That is why I dig Warclocks!</font color=blue>

Oh yeah? Then how do you explain that Pally you hide in the closet?

Heheh.

B

Bo Riddler

<font color=green> I haven't laughed that hard in a while! Thanks! You make a valid point.</font color=green>

Bo

G

<font color=blue>&gt;&gt;LOL Well deary, you can't do instances like Stockades or BFD or DM solo.</font color=blue>

Well . . . maybe. I've been in DM, BFD, and SFK solo. Granted, I get no XP from any kills. Granted, I can't finish them. I attribute that to the fact that Blizzard hates solo players. I did manage to collect the mats I needed for the mace. Now that I have a fistful of characters at 40, I can try them again to see if I can get further without dying.

G

Okay let me rephrase that....

You can't do those at the levels you are -supposed- to do them in. Though You could solo DM at 45ish if you watch the aggro pull

As my husband put it "You can solo in WoW Up to 30...sometimes 40, but after that, you can't. You have to play with others."

G

If you do do it, let me know how it goes.

I do have to ask, do you nto plan on doing the big raids and such like Onyxia and Rag?

G

Not till the character's at 60. I have nine characters I'm bringing up in parallel whom I plan to get to 60 without grouping.

But, I have other characters on other realms. Some of them may join guilds and group up and do all kinds of stuff. Raids too, I suppose.

B

Bo Riddler

<blockquote><hr>

Not till the character's at 60. I have nine characters I'm bringing up in parallel whom I plan to get to 60 without grouping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hrmmm, with as outgoing as you are here, I find it odd that your play style is as a soloist. Why? Better drops?

Bo

G

Good questions.

I find it fun because it's what I do. If I found it un-fun I would do things differently. It's how I play in UO and it's how I play here.

Why, when I'm so "outgoing?" Several reasons.

1. First and foremost, I like to explore things. If I'm with a group, I can't go running off to look at something that piques my interest. With no group, I'm free to go and do whatever I wish, whenever I want. I climb every hill and mountain I come to just to see how high I can get. I follow every valley just to see if it dead ends or leads somewhere. It's what I do.

2. Second, my GF also plays, and her computer is next to mine. She joins guilds and goes on dungeon runs. To do that, and not be rude, you have to have a block of several hours set aside to do that. When you're with a group, assuming you're not a flake, people depend on you and you have to be there for them and see things through to the end. At least, that's what *I* believe. I do not have that kind of time. I play in quick spurts and don't have long periods to spend.

3. Finally, I'm choosing this way because of the popular myth that solo players cannot get to level 60. That makes it a challenge. That means it's going to take discipline and focus. In a way, it's a valley I plan to explore, to see if it leads somewhere, or dead-ends.

Considering drops, one might add yet another reason. Though the drops aren't better, they are all MINE. My internal scrooge tells me that's a good thing.

NeroRathe

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you absolutely CAN solo your way to lvl 60, but from my point of view, I'd find that not very enjoyable. I'd end up spending my time grinding and missing large amounts of content because I would not be seeing many of the instanced dungeons. Those are an ABSOLUTE blast to explore. One of the more enjoyable things to do/see/experience in game as far as I'm concerned. I'd trade loots for the chance to see those things.

I do 100% agree though with the time sink idea. I've been in a raiding guild, lol, actually, I've been the GM of a raiding guild for 7 months and we'd raided 4 nights a week, and to be honest, I'm pretty much done. I dont have the time, the effort, or the energy to spend doing that anymore. Or...maybe it's the desire.

The instanced 5 mans though are a different story, if I can block off an hour or so, I can usually make my way thru the 5-mans, and I still get a kick out of 'em.

Doing things differently is always an attraction to me, but I really cant tell ya how much you are really missing that is enjoyable in the game, by not running some of the 5 man instances. If time is the issue, then so be it, but from a drop perspective, ouch, and from a fun perspective...wow...some of the best times I had since I started playing were running those 5 mans.

G

<font color=blue>&gt;&gt;Those are an ABSOLUTE blast to explore. </font color=blue>

I'm sure they are. Since there are 50 characters possible per account, and since I don't plan to solo all 50 slots to 60, it's entirely possible I may have one or two left-over to play differently.

<font color=blue>&gt;&gt;. . . but I really cant tell ya how much you are really missing that is enjoyable in the game . . . </font color=blue>

And there's no need to worry about telling me what I'm missing. I'm primarily an explorer. Trust me when I say that I'll eventually have every instance thorougly explored as well. I'm merely in no rush to do so. I have no desire to rush through and sit at 60 griping about lack of end-game content as so many appear to do (though not on these forums).

Now, to play Devil's Advocate, are you suggesting that if there were solo instances available, you wouldn't try them out because you couldn't take four others with you? I didn't think so. My point is, that I'd like to see some more interesting SOLO activities to complement the raids, instances, and PvP.

I

imported_Dellamorte

<blockquote><hr>

Okay, maybe I don't have the heart of a Warlock. Maybe I should stick with Warriors and Paladins and just bang on things with whatever's handy. But I'm trying to push the envelope.

So I have this Warlock. Level 30-something. With minions. Is it my imagination, or are all these minions kind of lame? Or am I not playing them correctly?

To whit:

1. Midgit Gargoyle Dude (okay, I can't remember what he's called)--A) you have the critter attack first, the baddie comes, steps on him, then begins banging on you, which hurts because you're only wearing cloth, or B)you attack baddie with ranged spells, he comes up and begins banging on you, critter helps, and eventually you end up slightly better than in A) because the critter is still alive. You, on the other hand, look like Beetle Bailey after the Sarge is done with him.

Evaluation: Gargoyle Dude sucks.

2. Blueberry--A) you have the critter attack first and tank for you. As a tank, my hunter's bear and tiger are a lot better. You stay back, nail with ranged spells, and draw aggro, getting pounded on. B) You attack baddie first, and you end up like Beetle Bailey again.

Evaluation: Blueberry doesn't suck as bad as Gargoyle Dude.

3. Beeyotch with Wings--A) you have the critter attack first, the baddie steps on her, then starts banging on you. B) You attack first, baddie starts banging on you straightaway, and the Beeyotch makes funny sounds with her whip, not doing much damage. End result: Beetle Bailey Syndrome.

Evalutaion: Worse than Gargoyle Dude because it's a waste of a soul stone.

So what am I doing wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Warlock pets are far more utilitarian than hunter pets. A lot of warlocks don't even use their pets, favoring to sacrifice them (demonology specs).
Okay.... my take on all warlock summonable pets. And we'll assume they are all max'd out on their grimoires.

Imp.
Pro's:
He doesn't require a soulshard to summon.
Blood Pact is an immensely useful buff.
He is safe from harm as long as he is phased.
Good sized mana pool with a fast mana regen rate.

Cons:
He has no melee attacks.
He has a tiny HP pool.
The recent imp nerf has made him fairly useless as an offensive pet.

Thoughts: A lot of instance parties and raids will often want the imp for teh Stam buff he provides. Firelock/demonologists will sac him for the +15% to fire damage. Dark Pact 'locks will use him as a mana battery. His uses are specialized, since his days as a fireball hurling machinegun are long over since the recent nerf.

Voidwalker.
Pros:
He has the best armor and HP ratings of any summonable demon.
He has a decent array of taunts for tanking.
He can self heal.
He can be sacrificed for a limited Invulnerablity shield.

Cons:
He hits like a girl.

Thoughts: The blueberry is your best pure tanking demon, rivaling the felguard in that department. Due to the nature of his taunts, its important to let him fire them off first before attacking. This insures that he'll hold aggro. You will be doing the bulk of the hurting as he lacks any damage abilities. The shield is a life saver in both pvp and pve. A lot of groups opt to use him as an offtank.

Succubus.
Pros:
She has good melee DPS.
She has good crowd control against humanoids via seduction.
She provides an excellent damage buff for demonologists
She doesn't blow her mana fast.

Cons:
She is a lot more fragile than the blueberry.
She doesn't hold aggro as good as the blueberry.

Thoughts: Do not expect her to tank for you, as you will find she both dies fast and lose aggro fast. Her DPS can make a difference, however. Seduction can be extremely useful in PVP and PVE, whether it be saving your ass from a rogue or using the tried and tested mez-n-nuke method. It also is a form of crowd control in instances, though not as good as sheep, imo. As she is less reliant on her mana, she is a fav for Dark Pact 'locks, as well as demonic Sacrifice builds for her excellent damage bonus.

Felhunter.
Pros.
Absolutely killer against any and all casters.
The Paranoia buff is very effective against stealth targets.
His demonology buffs are handy against all schools of magic.

Cons.
His armor, HP, and attacks are all pretty average. Not bad, just not great either.

Thoughts: The feldog is the quintessential anti-caster pet. Spelllock will stop a caster in his tracks while Devour Magic will strip harmful debuffs off you and helpful ones off your opponent, while healing the demon. Paranoia will help you get the jump on rogues, Tainted Blood will help sap them of their strength. He excels in pvp and pve fights against caster mobs.

I didn't include the felguard as he is a talent purchased pet, nor did I mention the doomguard or Infernal as they are nearly useless as practical pets.

Enjoy!