• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mining yields

N

Nenime

Everyone's making good suggestions here. I wonder a bit why rarely someone is mentioning Mining. Only to fill the few bods I get I have to mine at least one evening (occasional player here). Not that this is boring (errr... it is!) but how can some players offer thousands of ore deeds additionally to their other goods? Doesn't this require to be online all the time? I don't suspect anybody for scripting but I don't want to buy from one either.

Compared to gathering leather it seems to be a bit unfair. I can collect leather in the Anti-Virtue Dungeons while getting a lot of gold and an Arti on top of that.

Poor miners :bored:

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Arrr, miners can get gems and blackrock! And with the blackrock, ye tricks yer fighter inta carrying it when he goes ta the bottom o' Despise, then ye can get a chuckle when he runs for his life with a infected Titan on his heels!! ;)

E

Eslake

Leather stays in a general balance to mining because, while you can get other loot and gold while getting leather, you can only carry 1/10th as much.

But mining Is long overdue for some changes.

Mining in Felucca with a fire beetle to eliminate smelt-time, in the cave systems outside GZs where ore tends to 16 deep rather than 8-10, a GM miner can reasonably get 3000-3500 ingots / hour.

Lumberjacking Anywhere with 2 bonded packies and a beetle can get about 15k boards / hour.

Hunting leather is slower, but leather items use far fewer leather to produce than the corresponding metal item (leather cap = 2 leather, metal helms = 15+ ingots) and as mentioned by the OP, also come with gold and potential other loots.

And with more than 60% of BODs being iron, and BODs accounting for at least 9/10 of all ingots used in a day on a shard, consider the feasability of mining for it.
Someone killing Miasma -even after considering the time to load bags of junk metal loots onto a blue beetle and haul it home- can get more than 2x as much by smelting that than by actually mining for it.

Non-miners don't see the problem. Some because they just buy the ingots from Script miner vendors, others because they don't use the ingots at all.

To make it easier to understand for them.. imagine if shepherds could get more doom artifacts / day than you could by spending all day in doom.
Or more CCs/week by fishing than you get by hunting peerless.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mining is covered in the UO Craftsman Forum. That's probably why you don't hear it mentioned in UHall much.

Scripters still rule when it comes to over-mining (i.e. mining more than you need). EA/Mythic was doing a good job for awhile catching them, but I believe they are starting to make a comeback.

To collect Barbed and Horned Leather, you need to be able to fight dragons and such. To collect ore, you just need a pick or a shovel. It all balances out.

U

UOKaiser

Indeed you usually have to spend all day or all week. Look at me for example Im one of the lucky ones or unlucky if you call it I work with and on computers so while I work i can play UO usually am mining cause its a very boring task but dont need to do much. Hopefully you have uoassit or using kr macros though I still dont like KR bugs.

Anyway this is what you do so you can mine enough to sell if need to. First Lots of time and able to multitask. Second make a mining macro and recall macro i believe uo assist you can make 16 macros the mining macro will mine the spot dry and once you hit the recall macro you recall to the next spot and mine that spot dry and then recall to next and next. Also make a macro to recall home or to a bank to drop of ore and press that when youre full and if you use a packy or fire beattle even better. Assign everything to hot keys.

You can be creative and put a long pause on recall macro so that when the time counts down you will automaticaly recall to the next spot so everything looks scripted but its not its all legit using ea approved program. Also stick tape on youre hot keys takes a little working out the kinks but like this you can watch a movie while you mine and can dont need too much interaction on your part ,of course attended cause you will be at the computer anyway."Caution this leads to crazy people who dont know any better and are bored to hell calling GMs on you and you having to pause youre mining streak to tell them your here If the GM appears anyway". Hell I have people run around circles around me and I pause and start running circles around them lol or others trying to block me in and i have to go step over them :). If you have more than 1 account and computers plus uoassit in each well then consider all the ingots you be mining.

Psss also you can mark spots where theres more than 1 vein so you can switch targets and mine all the veins from 1 recall :) Remmeber its all about spending the least time for the most gain.

Now kr I havent really use but as I've seing the types of macros there well I believe this can all be done even better with those. Good luck Future miner.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Arrr, miners can get gems and blackrock! And with the blackrock, ye tricks yer fighter inta carrying it when he goes ta the bottom o' Despise, then ye can get a chuckle when he runs for his life with a infected Titan on his heels!! ;)
Ooh you just gave me an idea. I wonder how much fun a blackrock cyclops would be.

C

Connor_Graham

You can be creative..........tape on youre hot keys.
That's not being creative. That's cheating. Just because a GM can't see that there's tape on your keyboard doesn't make any less wrong.

"Caution this leads to crazy people who dont know any better and are bored to hell calling GMs on you and you having to pause youre mining streak to tell them your here If the GM appears anyway".
Actually, they do know better, since you are in fact cheating.

U

UOKaiser

I think not. hold your finger down on the hot key then if you feel dirty. Hell you dont even have to do that when the script finishes just press the hot key again

L

Locker

In what crazy universe is tape on the keyboard cheating? Is pushing a key with a pencil eraser cheating?

In fact, maybe you are right, I think using keys at all is cheating you should have to manually enter binary code with a telegraph to complete any action. Damn key using cheaters!

Unreal...

U

UOKaiser

Think what you want, but taping a button down so you can watch a movie instead of actually performing the function yourself is cheating.
Of course like i said you can just press the hot key when you see the script finish.Then tilt youre head toward the tv and when you hear the script stop again press the key again there nice and simple. Unless you think UO Assist or Kr macros are cheating then well I guess when mining you click pick axe or shovel select spot repeat for many hours,days,weeks years on end lol I think in that case there will never be ingots for sale or even miners or bods being done etc except for those who like to be tortured,wiped in rl.

C

Connor_Graham

Of course like i said you can just press the hot key when you see the script finish.Then tilt youre head toward the tv and when you hear the script stop again press the key again there nice and simple. Unless you think UO Assist or Kr macros are cheating then well I guess when mining you click pick axe or shovel select spot repeat for many hours,days,weeks years on end lol I think in that case there will never be ingots for sale or even miners or bods being done etc except for those who like to be tortured,wiped in rl.
It has nothing to do with using the macro, and everything to do with taping a button down, but then I think you already know that, and are being intentionally thick about the matter because you know that's it cheating to do so.

Taping a button down to cause a macro to repeat is creating an artificial looped macro, which is against the rules. Plain and simple.

U

UOKaiser

It has nothing to do with using the macro, and everything to do with taping a button down, but then I think you already know that, and are being intentionally thick about the matter because you know that's it cheating to do so.

Taping a button down to cause a macro to repeat is creating an artificial looped macro, which is against the rules. Plain and simple.
Wouldnt be holding the button down to create a artificial loop hole be the same thing? Why was this feature included in Uoassist? Actually when Uoassist first came out it had the loop feature. Unattended macroing is against the rules but attended macro is allowed as are macros. As long as your by your computer while doing a action either if youre looping it whith youre finger ,tape, eraser or your key is jam that is consider attending macroing.
Macroing in definition is a series of actions accomplished automaticaly.

By all means Im not condoning leaving youre pc when your macroing but if your macroing at your pc and wish to turn your head from the screen i see nothing wrong. hell even I dont want to wish illness to anybody.

I respect your opinion though there are alot of misconceptions in uo it's not youre fault or anybody fault its just how peoples ideas are made over the years in UO. For one non of us enjoy repetative task in uo thats no secret but the uo system was always like that even worst in the earlie days oh man those days where rough able to finally reach gm in 1 year or so.

C

Connor_Graham

Why was this feature included in Uoassist?
Show me where in UOA it says to tape a button down.

There's a big difference between a player using their own finger to hold a button down and going and taping a button down.

U

UOKaiser

Oh either way what Im trying to point out to people who dont already know resource gathering is a tedious full time profession. PVP is fun PVM is fun House designing, Role playing, etc are fun. Though resource gathering must be one of the least fun things in the whole game if even the word fun is to be included though there are benefits in giving your all to it and sacrifice pleasure for some work.

U

UOKaiser

Show me where in UOA it says to tape a button down.

There's a big difference between a player using their own finger to hold a button down and going and taping a button down.
Doesnt say not to either though its being in conception since they removed loop from the options menu. its even being mention in these forum as a valid situation and way to remove cramps from fingers. Its up there with windows xp user switching and using dual monitors running ua assit on second monitor while primarity monitor runs UO,speakers or headphones, different types of keyboards, arm guards, ICQ, vent team coordination etc. Its a method which doesnt change the way uo assist works as if it was a issue the abilitie could of easily being removed from program. Matter of fact can anybody confirm KR macros for me if you can hold down keys or loop Kr in anyway as part of the client?

E

Eslake

Actually when Uoassist first came out it had the loop feature. Unattended macroing is against the rules but attended macro is allowed as are macros. As long as your by your computer while doing a action either if youre looping it whith youre finger ,tape, eraser or your key is jam that is consider attending macroing.
And UOAssist doesn't have a loop feature any longer because.....
*drumroll*
EA told them to yank it or lose Approved status.

I wonder if you knew that, or if you are actually trolling.
Because what you are describing is not possible.

You Can record a macro to mine a spot 16 times and recall to another location.
But if you tape down the key to run it, it stops/starts/stops/starts.. and ends up doing nothing.

The same with Game-made macros, if you hold down the key it will never get past the first action in the macro due to the server's "Wait to perform" responce stalling it. - and game-macros cannot be made to mine a spot out and recall.

Also UOA macros are limited to 200 lines and 16 total macros, none of which cause other macros to trigger.

So the only possible way for you to be mining more than ~4 spots while watching television is by using illegal 3rd party scripting software.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
UOKaiser - you're the one with the misconceptions.

I've been using UOAssist for almost 6 years, and it has not had a looping option in all that time.

It may have had one a few years before then, but there were numerous features of the original, unapproved, UOAssist that were removed with it became a UOPro application - looping being one of them.

It has also been stated repeatedly that artificially causing a loop is still illegal, be it done with weighting/wedging down a key (which only works with single-action macros) or some bit of software.

On the other hand, holding down a key with your finger 1. requires your presence and 2. isn't infinite, because holding it down is a deliberate action.

U

UOKaiser

UOKaiser - you're the one with the misconceptions.

I've been using UOAssist for almost 6 years, and it has not had a looping option in all that time.

It may have had one a few years before then, but there were numerous features of the original, unapproved, UOAssist that were removed with it became a UOPro application - looping being one of them.

It has also been stated repeatedly that artificially causing a loop is still illegal, be it done with weighting/wedging down a key (which only works with single-action macros) or some bit of software.

On the other hand, holding down a key with your finger 1. requires your presence and 2. isn't infinite, because holding it down is a deliberate action.

Agreed the loop feuture was removed long long ago but am not fighting that. And I didnt say infinite Actually what i was stating had to do whith hotkeys pressing hot keys to recall and mine really. When i mention looping uo assit should of being in a different topic not whith the macro one it just got mixed up in the post. Whne holding a key down will only allow you to do 1 macro untill you get tired but thats seperate from the mining strategy that i posted thats my mistake . The holding down key is skill training really so just seperate those 2 things.

U

UOKaiser

And UOAssist doesn't have a loop feature any longer because.....
*drumroll*
EA told them to yank it or lose Approved status.

I wonder if you knew that, or if you are actually trolling.
Because what you are describing is not possible.

You Can record a macro to mine a spot 16 times and recall to another location.
But if you tape down the key to run it, it stops/starts/stops/starts.. and ends up doing nothing.

The same with Game-made macros, if you hold down the key it will never get past the first action in the macro due to the server's "Wait to perform" responce stalling it. - and game-macros cannot be made to mine a spot out and recall.

Also UOA macros are limited to 200 lines and 16 total macros, none of which cause other macros to trigger.

So the only possible way for you to be mining more than ~4 spots while watching television is by using illegal 3rd party scripting software.
Youre right on it thats why you need to make seperate macros and tie them into hot keys. Like i said the loop shouldnt have being mixed up whith the mining topic. And if keyboard holding has being deamed illegal then my mistake. Game made macros are limited am not sure about the Kr client but maybe someone who dealt whith KR macros can clear that up.

Its possible to mine more than 4 spots just turn youre head well as my system is set up at home i can turn my eyes to the right and watch tv then turn my eyes to the left to watch my miner hell if i look straight i can see both.

And in no way im condoning any other apps other than Uoassit Im sure you can do alot more whith whatever but Uaassit is crucial to playing uo. Yes some people play without it and really I have no idea how they can stand it they are brave people in my eyes. But after you played this game so long I cant see anybody not using Uoassist and I never troll I just try to be objective and walk the middle path. And I accept all those who do not agree whith my ideas as just like all people am not always right.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Indeed you usually have to spend all day or all week. Look at me for example Im one of the lucky ones or unlucky if you call it I work with and on computers so while I work i can play UO usually am mining cause its a very boring task but dont need to do much.
Claims like these never cease to make me flat out laugh out loud. Do you script users even see how incredibly obvious you are, when you go over the top with your "claims" of how you do things legally? Geez it's hilarious to read....more!!! gimme more!!!

U

UOKaiser

Claims like these never cease to make me flat out laugh out loud. Do you script users even see how incredibly obvious you are, when you go over the top with your "claims" of how you do things legally? Geez it's hilarious to read....more!!! gimme more!!!
Youre assuming wronly am here on the forums at 5:59pm and im still working and playing Uo. If youre claims where true wouldnt I not be in Uo at the moment?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Without seeing your desktop over your shoulder, or a video, I have no clue what you're doing. But only the guilty get overly defensive, or go out of their way to convince others that they do things completely on the up and up.

U

UOKaiser

Without seeing your desktop over your shoulder, or a video, I have no clue what you're doing. But only the guilty get overly defensive, or go out of their way to convince others that they do things completely on the up and up.
And honest people stay silent? I already stated what I and others do if we used other programs I would of stated that or tried to, also nothing to hide not trying to convince you about me you have your opinion. Mining is boring right now and is almost time for me to leave work so why not talk a bit in the forums maybe defend myself a bit though am sure I wouldnt try to to convince people to get uoassit when there are well you know. Though I should try it one day not on regular uo no need to get myself in trouble but somewhere where its permited see how it works.

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can be creative..........tape on youre hot keys.
That's not being creative. That's cheating. Just because a GM can't see that there's tape on your keyboard doesn't make any less wrong.
lol!!!!

That is not cheating and it never has been! That is what people would call... MACROING!!

The thing that is illegal... is doing that when you are not sitting at the computer.

:scholar:

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But only the guilty get overly defensive, or go out of their way to convince others that they do things completely on the up and up.
Yeah... ok.

[/sarcasm

It's the internet, you don't and will never know **** about the people you claim you do.

Silly Seadog

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In fact, maybe you are right, I think using keys at all is cheating you should have to manually enter binary code with a telegraph to complete any action. Damn key using cheaters!
Arrrr, voice commands!

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regarding KR - it is a dream. You can make it strip mine the spot you walk up to with one keystroke (no swing delay, either), then smelt on the beetle with one keystroke, recall home or the bank with one keystroke. It is all legal KR game mechanics ...

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dig up ore eles with my miner and kill them. I got tons of gargoyle pickaxes.:)

It realy can give alot of ingots in a short time.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Garg Picks + Prospector's Tools + knowing where to go in Fel to use them = lots of ingots of every color.

Lumberjacks have a legit issue with the current spawn system. If you can't get enough ingots mining, you're doing it wrong.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You too, Frarc?

I can average about the same amount of ingots with gargoyle pick mining in Ilshenar, Malas & Trammel as I would in Fel - and have a LOT more control over the color of ingots I get. Something that those that don't use garg picks, and prefer GZ mining in Fel forget, is that the ability to bump once with a PT, then adjust further by choosing whether or not to use a garg pick, will get you much greater percentages of Shadow-Valorite, and on top of it, any ore from the elementals. If someone actually would use my strategy IN Fel, they'd get even more ingots, but run the risk of PKs, or people just being jerks and calling guards on the elemental you want to kill (the latter is the real reason I don't Fel mine - I WANT to kill the eles for the ore).

Any sufficiently competent warrior capable of killing a Valorite ele without having to stop to heal, should also be able to defend themselves against most people that target miners (especially if they are using a Mace or other Disarm weapon).

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

In Fel, if I want to mine normally I hit Cove. For Elems, I hit West Britain... never seem to have a problem in either location.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mine solely in Fel ... and I dont even know where the nearest GZ to my area is. I do know Despise is nearby ...

As for PK's ... I just bring my own ...

And for LJ'ing ... again I do it in Fel ... Skara, to be exact. I do it on a red PvP char who happens to have the skill for dmg increase :sword:

N

Nenime

Great! Many thanks, Frarc, Dermott, Basara, Ailish and all who gave good advices. I have to admit that I never 'learned' mining, I just do it because I have to. Now I see light coming up the horizon :) I think I will check the Mining Stickies ... *gets an extra strong coffeine-containing product* :p

Er... just one thing... what is GZ again? :dunce:

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Great! Many thanks, Frarc, Dermott, Basara, Ailish and all who gave good advices. I have to admit that I never 'learned' mining, I just do it because I have to. Now I see light coming up the horizon :) I think I will check the Mining Stickies ... *gets an extra strong coffeine-containing product* :p

Er... just one thing... what is GZ again? :dunce:
GZ = Guard Zone Used by people mining in Fel so that they can call guards if a PK comes along ... something that actually only happens frequently IN the GZ ....

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I gather all my recources in Felucca, its worth the risk. Going to the right place and at a good time can make a big difference.

I have 2 different miners. One classic smith miner tinkerer. He is most often just mining in Delucia/Felucca. And then my other miner is made to dig up eles and kill them. I purely made him to do that and it saved me alot of time to get alot and high ore with killing eles. Like Dermott mentioned nicely, Prospectors tools and Gargoyle pickaxes and the right place with fire beetle is just :thumbup:

For dull copper just got to shame level 2 , over the bridge there is a dull copper ele spawn. Just take a fire beetle there with you and kill away and gather those precious ore ! ;)

C

Connor_Graham

lol!!!!

That is not cheating and it never has been! That is what people would call... MACROING!!

The thing that is illegal... is doing that when you are not sitting at the computer.

:dunce:

Taping a key down to create an artificially looped macro is against the rules. Looping macros is plainly against the rules, attended or not, and is considered cheating.

It's not that hard a concept to understand.

:scholar: