• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mining yields, mythbusting and few questions

• Thread starter slasherofveils
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

slasherofveils

Ok well first off, have they turned up gem rates or something? because I have gotten about twice as many as I usually do the past few days of mining.

Anyway to start an intro, I always mine the same area; trinsic passage and delucia in Fel. First I stripmine the mountain around the passage, then inside the passage, and then delucia. After a full cover I simply run around to veins that I need every 10-15 mins to finish up.
Always go with 1 prospector and 7 200 use sturdy shovels. Takes usually an hour and 15 mins or so to go through them.

Anyway today's yield:
3591 Iron
360 DC
274 Shadow
70 Copper
317 Bronze
688 Gold
52 agapite
22 verite
64 valorite
2 fire rubies
3 dark sapphire
1 eccru
4 blue diamond
2 turquoise
1 perfect emerald
1 blackrock

Anyway I was mostly wanting gold as my supply is low, but back to my topic of mythbusting...

1) Human vs Elf
Elves definately get more gems, but I have noticed absolutely NO difference with colored ore vs iron. Colored ore spots seem to be either strong veins or weak veins, for example there is one spot in the trinsic passage, where I have managed to mine agapite for the past 2 months. It hasn't changed, and its always a weak vein. I'll get about 30% agapite vs iron all the time. But strong veins are different. If you put a grid over the resources, say

XXXXXAAA
XXxXXAAA
X

X is a gold mining area, A is normal iron next to it if mine anywhere in the X area I can get gold, but if I mine where I put the lowercase X, I'll mine up about 90% gold vs 50% anywhere else in the gold mining area. I always notice this with strong color veins and try to remember exactly where to click as I mine every time.

also its usually not worth prospecting weak veins. Every time I do, I usually get 1-2 whacks up upgraded ore and rest is iron, where if I prospect a strong vein itll give me proper yields.

anyone else notice this?

Also, what is with failing bronze at GM mining? It happens very rarely but its quite annoying.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
About the only reason to prospect a weak vein is to follow up the PT with a gargoyle Pickaxe and try for elementals.