• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Mining and Hiding

S

SyKo of GL

I have been curious why people hide when mining, because when i hide, then mine it unhides me, and i have to wait 8-10 seconds before i can rehide... so it seems pointless if i hide then mine one ore, just to wait 10 secs to hide and repeat.

if i have higher hiding will it keep my character hidden?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
no - if you see people hiding, it's either to train hiding, or they are too lazy to change their macros from when you could mine while hiding (something not possible for at least a couple years).

Hiding on a miner is mostly meant to hide in Fel from PKs.

K

Kallie Pigeon

A while back, I used to have a stealth miner but gve it up and decided just to stick to Trammel.

E

eolsunder

Stealth mining was old school when you could mine and stay hidden. That doesn't work anymore.

A better miner these days has the ability to resist attacks and recall away instead of trying to hide from an attacker.

A basic good fel resource gatherer has..

120 swords
120 resist
100 bushido
100 parry
100 mining
100 lumberjack
60+ chivalry

some items might boost you up a bit more. This character can mine, cut wood, gather leather, and journey back and forth to his home/bank.

He also has the defense to survive initial assaults from a pker long enough to get out of the situation. His swords, parry and bushido can help defend against physical attacks, and his resist can help stop any paralysis/mana drains that might be used.

there isn't any use fighting back, the best thing to do is get the hell out of dodge, and this template with some tweaking and items is the easiest to use to do everything, plus get out of a tight spot.

You see a red.. you hit evade, and then journey away. If you have on a few fast cast items your chivalry journey can be faster than a recall spell with magery.

S

Sharantyr

I've always thought hidden mining is wrong for the game. I've mined in felucca and been PK'd several times. Most Pk's I've come across will res you and then have a chat, if not there's usually a healer 30 seconds away. They're not interested in taking you're ore or your items so there's no real problem.

Here's a couple of experiences I've had with PK's/reds.

Most recent time I was PK'd was maybe 4-5 weeks ago, stealth archer. He appeared and killed me. I ran to the healer less than 10 seconds away. Ran back got my things from my corpse and carried on mining. He was gone or hidden, don't know, but didn't see him again and he took nothing. 30 seconds max.

A week before a red appeared while I was mining. He just said stop and we started chatting about things ingame and how they've changed. He was telling me about how PvP had changed and gated us to Yew to show how deserted it is now. Told me in days past we'd both have been dead before we'd even taken a step. He'd been on his way to a friends house to pick up some recall scrolls. I went and got him some from my stock to save him some time. He then asked if there's anything I need, powerscrolls or anything, which I didn't. He then told me if ever I need anything to go to Yew and ask around for him.

Last one and this was a few years ago. Well A PK (his name was actually PK) turned up and killed me then resurrected and healed me and we started chatting. In recalled another miner and hid. He was revealed and was killed while I watched. This ghost stood there while we were chatting for a very long time. Then PK gated us somewhere to show me something. Along came another red. They went into battle together, round and round, casting and casting while I stood there watching. Well I bumped into PK several times after that first encounter. He never killed me again and we always stopped for a chat.

Been PK'd by blues before too.

Its good to chat with people you wouldn't otherwise encounter.

Anyway I'm glad it was changed so you cant hide and mine at the same time. What I still don' understand is why some players recall into a cave, get off their bug, dig a few times, get back on their bug, recall 3 tiles across the cave, get off their bug again and dig some more or why some recall around with dead pets.

R

Ravahan

Stealth mining was old school when you could mine and stay hidden. That doesn't work anymore.

A better miner these days has the ability to resist attacks and recall away instead of trying to hide from an attacker.

A basic good fel resource gatherer has..

120 swords
120 resist
100 bushido
100 parry
100 mining
100 lumberjack
60+ chivalry

some items might boost you up a bit more. This character can mine, cut wood, gather leather, and journey back and forth to his home/bank.

He also has the defense to survive initial assaults from a pker long enough to get out of the situation. His swords, parry and bushido can help defend against physical attacks, and his resist can help stop any paralysis/mana drains that might be used.

there isn't any use fighting back, the best thing to do is get the hell out of dodge, and this template with some tweaking and items is the easiest to use to do everything, plus get out of a tight spot.

You see a red.. you hit evade, and then journey away. If you have on a few fast cast items your chivalry journey can be faster than a recall spell with magery.
That's just plain silly. The only reason to make your miner combat oriented is to kill the ore elementals, and that's not even really necessary. You need enough magery to recall, mine with protection on. Its stupidly hard to kill someone (I've tried, script miner) before they can recall when you can't interrupt them.

What I do for ore ele's is I take my stealth mage out to where my miner is and hide him, then log out. When I dig up an ore ele, miner recalls out, I log onto (on a seperate account) my stealth mage, go kill the ore ele and take the ore off the corpse, hide, log out, and recall back in on the miner. It sounds more time consuming than it actually is, and I can keep my mining on a crafter where its useful.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What I still don' understand is why some players recall into a cave, get off their bug, dig a few times, get back on their bug, recall 3 tiles across the cave, get off their bug again and dig some more or why some recall around with dead pets.
Here's some answers.

1. There's a superstition that there is a "magic number" of digs that if you dig less than that number, the resource randomization won't kick in. Draconi, however, has said that ANY dig (even if just one) trips the flag to have the vein check for an ore randomization when the vein refills.

2. The ones you see digging a few times, then recalling distances they could walk, are script miners who believe the superstition (and probably blame normal miners for screwing with their locations by "mining the locations out" when they get changes).

3. Those recalling with dead pets, in the past, were probably guys with fire beetles. From the introduction of SE, until last fall, one could still SMELT on the ghost of a bonded dead fire beetle. The strategy was popular with both legit and script miners, both in Fel, and those that mined dangerous places like Tram dungeons, Tokuno & Ilshenar, as a beetle ghost didn't lose morale, wouldn't chase spawn, etc. and would still recall with the owner. The original reason it was possible was that, when coded, they couldn't figure out how to code the beetle to NOT act like a forge while a ghost. Apparently, last year, someone finally figured out how to code it, and it was instituted as a means to make it harder on scripters. (of course, it also made it harder for those of us whose pets legitimately died while in the field, but I can live with it).

E

eolsunder

That's just plain silly. The only reason to make your miner combat oriented is to kill the ore elementals, and that's not even really necessary. You need enough magery to recall, mine with protection on. Its stupidly hard to kill someone (I've tried, script miner) before they can recall when you can't interrupt them.

What I do for ore ele's is I take my stealth mage out to where my miner is and hide him, then log out. When I dig up an ore ele, miner recalls out, I log onto (on a seperate account) my stealth mage, go kill the ore ele and take the ore off the corpse, hide, log out, and recall back in on the miner. It sounds more time consuming than it actually is, and I can keep my mining on a crafter where its useful.

First off, this template isn't combat oriented, its defense oriented. It can still perform the functions of resource gathering in all 3 areas (mining, lumberjack, leather), plus survive most attacks from a pker. It can also handle itself against basic monsters and elementals.

A good pker who hunts miners a lot can easily kill some miner with protection on throwing a recall spell, especially if the pker is a mage.

Mining on a craftsman is only useful when training blacksmith, so you can smelt the items as you create them, to use less ingots for training. Mining on a craftsman after you max out your blacksmith ISN'T useful because you won't be using your smelt ability that much. Best to have mining on a resource gatherer instead.

Exactly how does having 100 mining on your craftsman help you crafting stuff? Last i heard, mining facters in NO WHERE when crafting items. Its used to dig up ore, and smelt.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Of course, with the right equipment to bolster your combat skills, there's nothing to stop you from having 120 blacksmith & 100 mining both ON a combat character (my 800+ skill point extreme miner/smith, with 120 real macing, GM tactics, GM anatomy, GM parry, 81 healing and the rest in chivalry - and can soulstone on GM Arms lore as needed in place of macing). If you have multiple crafters, there's no need to worry about keeping all the crafting skills together (my carpenter only has enough to get colored BODs, and make the large forge)

Nothing says "I love you" like going into Luna in front of a miner-killer's guildmates (smith marked up for your paperdoll to make it the 120 display skill) and proudly proclaiming "I killed (insert name here) with a LEGENDARY SMITH!"....

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meh, I mark runes to mine so I will have more than one rune that will take me back to the same cave. I don't script, haven't ever. I just don't want to have to remember each location (especially as they randomly change) of the type of ore I'm trying to dig up. I can barely remember what rune I recalled to last, much less what is in each and every cave I'm digging in.

Also, you dig once with a shovel, dig once with a prospectors tool. That tells you what kind of ore you get. If you do that and it has changed to something you don't want, you recall to the next spot and try that one. (Again) it doesn't mean you are scripting.

S

Sharantyr

When did hidden mining start?

When I started my miner/smith I started in Minoc. Mined the mountains just across the bridge. That often got too busy so I moved to Spirituality, short run to the gate and you're there. Once I got Donner and Blitzen (my 2 pack horses) bonded, so I could recall with them, I started mining the mountains outside wrong, since I was using a friends house near there (didn't have my own house yet). That was a great place to mine. Often a tamer would come around and ask if I could dig up elementals for them to train their pets on. I got the ore, they got the training. Didn't see many other miners. Then AoS came along and suddenly it became a hotspot for hidden miners. Is this when it started or was it always possible? I always thought it was wrong as mining is one of the noisiest professions in the game, just after blacksmith or carpenter, or should be.

Well all these experiences I'm sharing with you, fond memories.

As for mining/crafting and superstition try this.
Ash hammers adding to +35 in backpack.....check
2 half used prospect tools in backpack....check
Odd socks on.....check
Underwear on back to front....check
Left eye closed....check
Mouse in your opposite hand ...check
You'll always get what you want when you want this way.
No seriously don't try that, was joking. Just do the underwear thing and let us know your results.