• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Minimum System requirements ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I checked out Star Wars: The Old Republic but could not find anywhere whatever the minimum system requirements will be to play the game.

Anyone got a link ?

Is anyone playing the beta using DSL ? What connection speed and is it good enough to play a smooth game ?

Also, what about the costs to purchase the game and play it ?

It is my understanding that there will be separate PvP and PvE servers. Will it be possible or not to transfer characters back and forth between them ?

Also, I was looking at the smugglers class but other than read that it will be to smuggle goods I could find not much more info. Anyone knows more about them and why should a player want to play a smuggler ?

Thanks.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Show More
SYSTEM REQ

System Requirements

Processor • AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
• Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
Operating System Windows XP / Vista / 7RAM•Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
• Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
• Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.
Video CardStar Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better.
• ATI X1800 or better
• nVidia 7800 or better
• Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
DVD-ROM8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Show More
SYSTEM REQ

System Requirements

Processor • AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
• Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
Operating System Windows XP / Vista / 7RAM•Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
• Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
• Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.
Video CardStar Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better.
• ATI X1800 or better
• nVidia 7800 or better
• Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
DVD-ROM8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only

Thanks, I must have overlooked the section in the FAQ where it mentions it.

Since the above is about the minimum requirements, has anyone playing the beta experienced significative better performance with a better system than the minimum one ?
In such a case, what would be a system which would have the best price/performance ratio as in regards to playing this particular game ? Is it more crucial a better CPU ? Or perhaps just adding more system memory would do it ? Or using 1 or 2 tiers up video cards with 512 video memory rather than the minimum one with 256 video memory ?

Or is the minimum requirements system really all one needs to play SWTOR fully enjoyably ?

As in regards to the internet connection, any DSL and above will do it or DSL will need to exceed a certain speed for the game to be fully enjoyable and playable competitively ? The reason I am asking, is that DSL can have much varied speeds for download like 2 MB, 6 or 7, 10, sometimes 20 and more......... Of course, the more the better but in several cases a higher speed is either not available or comes at a higher monthly fee. So, knowing before hand which DSL speed is ok to play SWTOR fully enjoyably, might help some perspective players to make up their mind.

It is my understanding that the moving back and forth PvE and PvP areas will be through gates called flashpoints.

Now, is there anything on the landing PvP side (like a randomized landing location unpredictable for players, for example...) which prevents players from farming the PvP side flashpoint and gank whomever shows up ??

Also, from reading infos about SWTOR, a plus which is highlighted is that this particular multiplayer game will have a storyline to follow. Now, this is great news but I am trying to figure out how the separation between PvE and PvP areas will fit in with the actual storyline......

In order to get the storyline going, will players have to, sooner or later, get into the PvP areas to get things done which can only get done there and are needed to get the storyline going ?

Bottom line is, if there is a storyline which is the backbone of the game (and I guess, needs actions to be taken and done within the storyline boundaries to get it going...), and there is PvE areas and PvP areas, how will players know when it is time to get things done in PvE areas and when in PvP areas in order to get their Faction advance within the storyline frames ?

As in regards to playing a smuggler, how does it really work ?

I read the brief description on the web site but other than having special skills for running away and hide better I could not understand well where this particular class fits in the global picture of the Star Wars Old Republic Scenario......

Will they be really needed as vital resources gatherers and smugglers for the faction to strengthen and prosper and thus acquire power over the opposing faction ?

I am looking for informations about the actual playability of the role and how well it fits in the general picture.

Thanks.

P

Penti

I can only give you an insight into what I've found through several weeks of testing, so I'll try and cover your questions as best I can.......

1. Systems Specs

I have a pretty low-end system tbh and I have found very few problems. My gaming perspective is to have stuff run as smooth as I can and am not that fussy about "looks". On my rig it runs well and looks good still, however seeing it on a friends i7 rig it did look GORGEOUS in comparrison. I guess if you are looking at upgrading specifically for this game then it depends how deep your pockets are and how "future-proof" you want to go? If you're looking short to medium term then you shouldnt need an uber-rig to get serious enjoyment from SWTOR.

2. Connection

Again i have a pretty crappy connection to my flat....... I have experienced a bit of lag and the loading times into some flashpoints and convo's has been a little longer than I'd like, but it wasnt unbearable and didnt seem to inconvenience anyone I was grouped with at the time. My only gripe with a slow connection was the actually d/l of the game when they put a new beta build out! Of course this shouldnt be a problem once the game is live, as it should just be periodic patching rather than a full download from scratch.

2. PvP

I havent actually progressed far enough for open-world PvP, and thats having reached the early 20's in terms of my character level. Arena type PvP is available from Level 10 and is a lot of fun (aside from Huttball which I havent enjoyed that much yet). So basically if you roll on a PvP server you dont HAVE to participate right from the get go. Also I dont think you are forced to PvP as part of your Class storyline, as that would require forced PvP on the PvE servers and they arent about to have different storylines for the different server types!! Unfortunately thats about all I can say on PvP...... Sorry

4. Smuggler

No idea really as I've only played Smuggler to about Level 6. Although it was fun I dont intend to play ANY of the fluffy-side classes. Sith Empire 4tw !!!

The faction side of things doesnt work the same way as other games (or so I have found). There isnt a contribution level or anything like that, yet..... The class you choose is more about your "role" in the game ie tank, healer, dps etc and how you fit into a group mechanic. Of course I may be wrong, not having got to end game level yet....

As regards a classes particular role you can spec into several roles for each class using your Advanced Class selection and how you allocate your skill points from there. Smuggler can spec into Ranged DPS, Burst Melee DPS, Healer or, of course dabble in a bit of several. Friends who played Smuggler over the last beta weekend really enjoyed into and seemed to like its versatility.

Hope that answers some of your questions?