• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Minimalist Xenforo Style?

• Thread starter Old Man of UO
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
O

Old Man of UO

I'm sort of a minimalist when it comes to forums, rather see the messages than fancy avatars... but that's just me. Anyway, I wanted to see if what could be done with CSS, and after a few minutes with Firebug I got a minimalist style for Xenforo. It certainly needs to be cleaned up, need to get rid of the default message box size, put the posters name in front again, etc. But you can get a general idea of what can easily be done.

So, I'm asking for a minimalist style of some sort that we can choose to see more messages and less padding around the messages. What do you think?

Standard Xenforo:

Minimalist Xenforo:

S

Sevin0oo0

too minimum for most users i think. Avatars is part of the fun, plus many can relate to an image faster than just a name

O

Old Man of UO

You're probably right, and the image size can be easily changed. My real complaint is there is just too much wasted space with the current style.

S

Sevin0oo0

It's like there's an extra BR at the top if each reply, above the avatar and message, maybe 2 of them underneath.
Line spacing changes from the post/sig, the spacing in a text sig looks normal, actual post, too big, to me. or maybe font is changing

O

Old Man of UO

It's like there's an extra BR at the top if each reply, above the avatar and message, maybe 2 of them underneath.
Line spacing changes from the post/sig, the spacing in a text sig looks normal, actual post, too big, to me. or maybe font is changing
Yeah, it's extra padding, not a break. There is a minimum size somewhere outside of the CSS code that I can't seem to find to collapse that.

Just to clarify, I'm only suggesting alternate styles that you can chose for your preference, NOT suggesting that it is a default for everyone. Right now, each message just takes up too much vertical spacing.

Putting the Avatar back in, but at half size (again, can be adjusted) and darkening some elements to make it easier to see the changes:

S

Sevin0oo0

ok, yeah, i get ya, *i has coffee now*, just like you can optionally Turn Off viewing sigs, could be made a Style selection, I suspect they'll offer more, from min to robust, after they sleep some. Tweaking will take days, maybe several weeks, always does. Still many issues, post counts, graphics up top... still has a pretty good wow factor

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Minimalist-type themes seem to be all the rage with XF designers. I will definitely be on the lookout for something suitable. Thank you for this suggestion!

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I do most of my forum reading using my Blackberry. I would love an option for a minimalist theme I could select on my phone. So far the old forums were easier to read using Opera on my Blackberry, but I'll keep adjusting the settings until I get something that works well.

-OBSIDIAN-

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
ok, yeah, i get ya, *i has coffee now*, just like you can optionally Turn Off viewing sigs, could be made a Style selection, I suspect they'll offer more, from min to robust, after they sleep some. Tweaking will take days, maybe several weeks, always does. Still many issues, post counts, graphics up top... still has a pretty good wow factor
You can turn of viewing sigs. Perferences > uncheck show other folks' signatures.

Apetul

Rares Fest Host | LS April 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh i would like a minimalist theme for sure.

Right now im using a local "userContent.css" file that firefox apply to stratics forums on every page just to remove the logo and to lower the height of the header to the minimun.

@-moz-document domain(stratics.com) {
#XenForo #headerMover #headerProxy { height: 40px !important; }
#XenForo #header #logoBlock { display: none !important; }
}

I'll play with that file a bit more later, but anyway i would like to see a minimalist style.. thanks.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
This is still on the to-do. Thanks for the reminder. :)