• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mic/Headset help?

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Okay, I just bought a new headset to use Ventrilo. Now, this is an HP Digital Premium Stereo Headset, which should work using the USB it came with, despite having another set of Mic/Headphone ports. The drivers and such installed fine, but there's two issues I'm having.
1) The sound isn't going through the headphones, but is acting like they're not even there and playing through the speakers.
2) The mic itself will pick up pretty much any noise, except my voice, no matter how loud I speak.

As for trying to fix the problem. I've tried:
a) using the original Mic/Headphone ports, which allows me to get the sound through the headphones, but my mic still won't register my voice.
b) tried going to the HP website to find a solution (completely useless...)
c) tried reconfiguring the mic, where it gave me directions on how to change the Sound Input Level (Click Start, point to Programs, then Accessories, then Entertainment, and then select Volume Control) Thing is, for some reason, my Entertainment folder is empty, I don't have the Volume Control, so I can't go any further.
d) I have tried using other USB ports thinking that maybe the one I was using has an issue, but they all have the same result.

I haven't made any recent changes to my system or configuration

Operating system: Windows Vista (Home Basic I think) And I'm pretty sure my OS is 32-bit

My system is a Toshiba Satellite laptop (model A200 -AH5)

Please help if you can. I'm no technical genius, and the more I try to fix this myself the more frustrated I'm becoming... I can try to supply more info if needed...

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've tried that and just about everything else I can think of. I'm pretty sure I need to change the sound input/output, but as I'm apparently missing the Volume Control, I don't know how to do that...

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does this only happen in Ventrilo or with all applications?

If just with Ventrilo, make sure you have the headset plugged in before you launch the program, (I find if I don't do that, then no amount of fiddling will work on it)

then go to the "setup" tab and choose your headset from the drop down list for the output and the input.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I have had this happen with USB head sets. I finally gave up and just plugged in to the speaker jack with an older head set. One I have not thrown against the wall...

I will add on to this question.

Is it possible to have nice speakers and have them over ridden by plugging in a usb head set?

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it is possible. When you plug in a USB headset, it is just like installing a new sound device. You are no longer using the internal sound hardware. When windows sees this, it says "hey, new sound hardware, he must want to use this instead, so lets make all sound go out this hole now!"

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes it is possible. When you plug in a USB headset, it is just like installing a new sound device. You are no longer using the internal sound hardware. When windows sees this, it says "hey, new sound hardware, he must want to use this instead, so lets make all sound go out this hole now!"
Yeah, this is a USB headset, but the thing is... it's not going telling the sound to go through the USB, and I can't figure out how to make it do that.

I may have fixed the mic, but I need someone to talk to before I know for sure :)

N

NewYears1978

Yeah, this is a USB headset, but the thing is... it's not going telling the sound to go through the USB, and I can't figure out how to make it do that.

I may have fixed the mic, but I need someone to talk to before I know for sure :)
I just did the same thing ( hooked up USB Headset/Mic)

Just go into Control panel> Sound By default your speakers or other device is probably still being selected..rightclick headphones and set as default (in playback and recording for microphone)

Should work?

This assumes you use Vista

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just did the same thing ( hooked up USB Headset/Mic)

Just go into Control panel> Sound By default your speakers or other device is probably still being selected..rightclick headphones and set as default (in playback and recording for microphone)

Should work?

This assumes you use Vista
Awesome, thank you so much! Finally have the sound working the way it should, but still have no one to talk to to see if the mic works right :D

I'll find an alliance member sooner or later though, so I'll deal with that whenever. I was mostly just wanting the sound to work right now :)

N

NewYears1978

Awesome, thank you so much! Finally have the sound working the way it should, but still have no one to talk to to see if the mic works right :D

I'll find an alliance member sooner or later though, so I'll deal with that whenever. I was mostly just wanting the sound to work right now :)
Glad that worked for ya :)