• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mesanna's Blank Check Thread

MollyAtlantic

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have spoken to Mesanna to clear up a few things and to Halister and a few others. We have come up with a proposal to be considered. I will include the link below for you to read the entire proposal. Please post and let us know what you think.
Proposal

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, Molly, that is outstanding! I'm so glad that Mesanna has decided to allow both projects to go forward! It seems everyone will get what they want :)

B

Beleth of Atlantic

I hate to shift focus when we've now come so far but honestly, if the tower memorial can be created and a community center formed then I would have to agree that the tram tower may not be the best idea/use of resources.

If the projects are being seperated into a Felucca AMT memorial and a Trammel community Center then perhaps we should maintain the ideas proposed for the functions of the community center but change the design/concept?

With the upcoming booster pack a large focus is going to be placed upon the waterways/boating in UO. What if we were to create the community center based out of/near Vesper. An additional bridge could be added to connect it to the already functional city and a Hunter's Lodge feel could be used? Then room for the new ship sizes could be left to allow them to dock in this area and we go from there?

Oh as a side comment in regards to the gates/locations linked to the community center, perhaps we should add in all those unused areas of old, such as the Britain Fair Grounds, the Skara Brae Community Center, etc. so that they can at the very least be viewed by players and at best be used at times?

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I updated our list of features, removing those related to the AMT, since it will now be a stand alone project, and adding what we've discussed so far.

1. Core Features:
a. Deep water docks for community net tosses and fishing events (the ones Mesanna originally placed were great!). **Even more important with the new booster coming up.
b. Ankh for tithing/resurrection
c. EM Town Crier
d. Inn Keeper so people can log out safely and quickly.
e. Moongate – to Luna (the four corners and one central as suggested on Stratics), to New Haven, and to WBB with return moongates at those locations as well.
***An EM event Moongate, and Moongates to Fair Grounds and Skara Center
f. Teleporation Hub – To Player Bannered Towns,
**The teleportation hub could really fall under both categories b/c new
locations could be added by event
**Crystal Portal (different graphic if possible) to all towns
**Crystal Portal to dungeons if possible
g. NPC Vendors
h. Hitching post
i. Banker
j. Tavern – might put as a stipulation for design contest…
k. Return rune creation bag/box
L. A chest or set of chests that spawn daily “rares” would be fun for rares/semi-rares collectors.
N. Magic Themed garden w/ wedding chapel. Themed after fairy tales. Magic herbs and regeants, perhaps imbuing ingredients?
*** Add rare harvestable resources to the garden through events (If we have EM support otherwise, from the Start).
O. Community Crafting Centers that offer special bonuses – Soul forge (with loyalty), forge, arcance circle (LVL 6), carpentry, loom, and tinkering workbenches etc. - Each crafting center item (for example forge) should grant a +5 Bonus for 1 player, +10 for 2 or more? (did we miss any crafting categories?)

2. Features revealed by quest or event:
a. Name contest
b. Deco contest
c. Lore contest
d. Dueling Pit – when dueling goes live, have event to open pit at tower.
e. Hall of Fame/Hall of Heroes
i. (If we get EM support) create group similar to baja town guards, name the group after the tower or something similar to keep it themed. (some roleplay for Em Bennu to work with?)

2. New Haven
3. Vesper

Possible Themes:
1. Hunter's Lodge
2. Nautical
3. Arcane Arts (Nestor's suggestion from the June Town Hall)
4. What else?

B

Beleth of Atlantic

To promote crafting what about a copy of the Queens Forge - with the skill bonus. It could maintain the loyalty requirement for use to make things fair.

Additional addons could also be added like a the new +5 Carpentry Bench.

An arcane circle with the ability to get a level 6 focus would also be nice.

The benefit of a specific theme is the decorations available. I think an Arcane Arts center is very similar to a mage tower. A nautical theme sounds nice but may burn out once the thrill of the expansion hits.

Mixing the nautical theme with the hunters lodge theme allows for any new monsters and such added to the game to be used as display pieces and fit in well. It also adds a social atmosphere for roleplaying as adventurers can meet and discuss new kills and group up for dungeon encounters (before using the dungeon teleporters). Perhaps it could pay homage to the old Adventurer's Guild (seer based) that was run out of Minoc for a short period?

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Beleth, I like the idea of a nautical/hunter's lodge mix. I also like the idea of trophies of exotic and new monsters on display.

Item O. in my post - Community Crafting Centers that offer special bonuses – - is designed to cover what you mentioned about crafting. I want to make sure that we do not miss any of the crafting skills, and I really want to push the idea of bonuses for use, and possibly large bonuses for joint use.

Did we miss any crafting skills? I'll update the list to reflect lvl 6 arcane circle, and loyalty to queen on soulforge.

T

Tazar

A teleporter to the EM hall in Brit and the EM reward hall might be good too - or is the EM-Event moongate that was mentioned covering these?

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good idea Tazar... that could go in with the EM Event gates, at least I think so.

I like the Hunter's Lodge/Adventurer's Guild idea a lot. With the booster coming it fits perfectly.

How about this spot in Vesper?:

The docks could be extended down and it could be connected to both the docks and to the island where I am standing in the picture. The building I'm standing next to is the inn. It could have decorations added and a name change to incorporate it in with the community center (It is currently named "Vesper Youth Hostel". Blah.)

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, good idea, Tazar :) I'll add it to the list.

Dryzzid, great bit of leg work. I was just about to do that :)

That's a very nice spot. One thing to note is that when Mesanna placed the defunct tower a few months ago I wanted to use the original docks in Moonglow and she told me she wouldn't place in a spot that interfered or modified the original NPC docks.

Since the the spot you picked doesn't seem to interfere with the docks she may go for it. I would think an extension of those docks or a bridge to them would be a very slight mod. Hopefully she'll go for it. I really like the spot.

Any objections to the spot Dryzzid posted? I'm all for it.

Also, I was thinking, rather than a tower, maybe Mesanna could place a customizable 18x18. We could hold a design contest, and allow the great custom house designers on our shard to design the structure to conform to the theme. Anyone like that thought?

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm all for the design contest idea. A tower would look WAY out of place.. no matter really where we place it. I think we should go for something that fits the look and feel of whatever city we use. For an example, if we went ahead with the Vesper/Hunter's Lodge site and theme, we should look for a building and site design to fit that. Not something extravagantly colored and whatnot.

Anyways, I vote for a design contest.

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question...does this suggested spot in Vesper put it in deep water for net tossing?

B

Beleth of Atlantic

Yes, you can see if you look closely that the color of water is different just off the shore. That means deep water.

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In my opinion, this all sounds great. :)

I think we have a framework for a proposal. Why don't we let it sit over the long weekend, and if there aren't any additions or changes that need to be commented on by Tuesday I'll submit it to Mesanna (I'm happy to cc anyone in that email if they want a copy, just pm your email address).

T

Tazar

How about we pass it around and let everyone sign like a petition to show that we are unified on it? Or maybe a post here of the "Draft Proposal" and a poll for voting?

That might show Mesanna that we are all behind it.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How about we pass it around and let everyone sign like a petition to show that we are unified on it? Or maybe a post here of the "Draft Proposal" and a poll for voting?

That might show Mesanna that we are all behind it.
Agreed. Maybe a poll posted with the final draft proposal from this thread in the main Atlantic Shard forum, as well as a post under the Atlantic News section of the Stratics home page? We can also cross post on other major shard sites to gather support.

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yeah that sounds good, too. I'd like to have it posted in this forum, I wonder if Nestor or Bennu would post the poll here.

B

Beleth of Atlantic

So I updated our list of features, removing those related to the AMT, since it will now be a stand alone project, and adding what we've discussed so far.

1. Core Features:
a. Deep water docks for community net tosses and fishing events (the ones Mesanna originally placed were great!). **Even more important with the new booster coming up.
b. Ankh for tithing/resurrection
c. EM Town Crier
d. Inn Keeper so people can log out safely and quickly.
e. Moongate – to Luna (the four corners and one central as suggested on Stratics), to New Haven, and to WBB with return moongates at those locations as well.
***An EM event Moongate, and Moongates to Fair Grounds and Skara Center
f. Teleporation Hub – To Player Bannered Towns,
**The teleportation hub could really fall under both categories b/c new
locations could be added by event
**Crystal Portal (different graphic if possible) to all towns
**Crystal Portal to dungeons if possible
g. NPC Vendors
h. Hitching post
i. Banker
j. Tavern – might put as a stipulation for design contest…
k. Return rune creation bag/box
L. A chest or set of chests that spawn daily “rares” would be fun for rares/semi-rares collectors.
N. Magic Themed garden w/ wedding chapel. Themed after fairy tales. Magic herbs and regeants, perhaps imbuing ingredients?
*** Add rare harvestable resources to the garden through events (If we have EM support otherwise, from the Start).
O. Community Crafting Centers that offer special bonuses – Soul forge (with loyalty), forge, arcance circle (LVL 6), carpentry, loom, and tinkering workbenches etc. - Each crafting center item (for example forge) should grant a +5 Bonus for 1 player, +10 for 2 or more? (did we miss any crafting categories?)

a. Name contest
b. Deco contest
c. Lore contest
i. (If we get EM support) create group similar to baja town guards, name the group after the tower or something similar to keep it themed. (some roleplay for Em Bennu to work with?)

2. New Haven
3. Vesper

Possible Themes:
1. Hunter's Lodge
2. Nautical
3. Arcane Arts (Nestor's suggestion from the June Town Hall)
4. What else?

This sounds good and will look nice but I cannot picture it on a water based area unless a small island is added. If it occurs perhaps add a gate inside to the Felucca seer Wedding area?

a. Name contest
b. Deco contest
c. Lore contest

These all sound great, only thing I am worried about is... are we still planning on using a Tower as base or different classic house or custom design? I would think a large brick classic house would work best now as it maintains the feel of Vesper. My worry about using say, an 18x18, is if we open the design to a contest it could look hideous. The last thing we need is a floating marble/sandstone based monstrosity that got votes because it "looks pwn". Call me elitist but I prefer the classic feel.

If a large brick is too small, the exterior design around it could be used to encompass a lot of the proposed suggestions.

Oh, if this receives EM support/usage in the long run what do you guys think would work best? I am picturing either an EM that plays the role of the leader of the Hunter's Lodge and assigns tasks based around that (which are pretty simple hehe). "Go hunt this and bring me it's ugly claw please", etc.

Or, a guild similar to RBG but based out of Vesper. The Vesper Marines? Allows for a more direct team feel but also varies a bit too far from the Hunter's Lodge theme.

Jandruz

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

This sounds good and will look nice but I cannot picture it on a water based area unless a small island is added. If it occurs perhaps add a gate inside to the Felucca seer Wedding area?

a. Name contest
b. Deco contest
c. Lore contest

These all sound great, only thing I am worried about is... are we still planning on using a Tower as base or different classic house or custom design? I would think a large brick classic house would work best now as it maintains the feel of Vesper. My worry about using say, an 18x18, is if we open the design to a contest it could look hideous. The last thing we need is a floating marble/sandstone based monstrosity that got votes because it "looks pwn". Call me elitist but I prefer the classic feel.

If a large brick is too small, the exterior design around it could be used to encompass a lot of the proposed suggestions.

Oh, if this receives EM support/usage in the long run what do you guys think would work best? I am picturing either an EM that plays the role of the leader of the Hunter's Lodge and assigns tasks based around that (which are pretty simple hehe). "Go hunt this and bring me it's ugly claw please", etc.

Or, a guild similar to RBG but based out of Vesper. The Vesper Marines? Allows for a more direct team feel but also varies a bit too far from the Hunter's Lodge theme.
Some good points. Now that we have settled on a theme, I might modify the garden/chapel to fit with the Hunter's lodge concept (more wood and stone vs. marble, maybe more of an enchanted forest vs. enchanted garden). I like the idea of placing it on a small island connected by a bridge to the main center.

As for the guild/EM support, I'd like to see a combo. With a guild of players who take responsibility for the center and keep it active by using it and hosting events, and the EMs joining in to command the guild and other players through events, etc.

I suppose I could go for a large brick. It's not my favorite structure, but you are right that much of this could be moved to the outdoor areas of the center.