• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

mercy boots/courtesy kicks

T

trevor57

i can't really go into a lot of details about this... lol

i'm a roomie at a skill house, and we have a number of sims that override the timeout feature and sometimes ask me or the other roomies to boot them out if they stop skilling and start acting up. i generally jsut do it, but i kinda feel like i shouldn't. not becasue i think they should stay and watch their sims, (i do believe skilling is boring, but it's a large aspect of them game, so i think maxis should make it more interesting)

but why should i mercy boot them? we need the house hours, we're competing for #1 on skills list, and hours are crucial. we don't have a full house 24/7.. skill houses aren't like they used to be, mostly b/c game populatoin is way down from what it use dto be.

what is your position on mercy boots/courtesy kicks? do you give them to your guests? do you expect them from roomies/owners?

M

MandiK

I wouldnt expect one from anyone, it's my responsibility if I want to leave my sim running without timing out, but when running a house, I do give them to those who leave theirs. It's just nice. I'm never too worried about visitor time & all that anyway, I would rather just make things nice & easier for everyone

I know rl gets busy, and getting those skills up takes time as well.

I love the mercy boot

Y

youradhere4222

Yes, I live at a skill lot in BF . We're not as much focused on hours, as we are customer satisfaction. I could care less about four more minutes of hours, than giving the customer what they want.

I don't expect them from houses, but it's nice for them to do it. Usually when I AFK, I log back on to find that i'm going to time out in one to two minutes, but it's nice to know that I didn't lose green by standing doing nothing.

S

SimoleanMan

I think they ask you to out of respect to you and other visitors at the house. Some people become very upset at those afk skillers who forget the sims then take a 6 month vacation while it is skilling up, lol.

I think their reasoning is because the sims may wet theirselves and make a mess or just be a general nuisance and bother other sims when ther sims start screaming about greening needs.

Eh i say leave it to the owner if they worry about it or not and boot them. It never really affected me but i wouldnt let the sim stand there foever then die, some would for a laugh.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Most people place it on their house bios whether or not they are 'afk-mercy boot' friendly.

First, you should ask your houseowner what they want since it's their house. And if left up to you and you don't want to boot afk sims, then you should place it in your bio so that folks can be aware that you will let them die if they leave their sim.

However, I've seen roomies/homeowners that have refused to boot sims even when other guests have begged for relief for the afk'rs. Seems kind of silly that a house would either need guest hours that bad or that someone wants to teach that sim a 'lesson' for being afk.

I generally will leave and never go back to a lot if a roomie hatefully leaves a sim to die just because they are running up house hours.

G

Do you have lure? How about a cannon?

Once they've stopped skilling, you can have loads of fun luring them around the lot and shooting them - in fact if you'd like them to stop skilling to free up whichever space they're taking (piano breaking for instance) then the cannon is great for making them stop before luring them away !

As for mercy boots, I'm kind of easy - I've given them as a lot owner but rarely requested one as a skiller - if I've greened properly, then auto time out should kick in before my sim goes red and I shouldn't need a mercy boot at all.

Polly

L

Lucky Hawk

<blockquote><hr>

Do you have lure? How about a cannon?

Once they've stopped skilling, you can have loads of fun luring them around the lot and shooting them - in fact if you'd like them to stop skilling to free up whichever space they're taking (piano breaking for instance) then the cannon is great for making them stop before luring them away !

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my, that brings back memories.

G

Oh Polly how you make me laugh! I dont do mercy boots, if you leave your sim at my house expect to come back to a ghost. But I promise you that we will have hours of entertainment tormenting your sim. I thank you in advance for the opportunity to make skilling a bit more entertaining!

Hey Hawk remember the time you went afk in TT in the factory with me? *giggle*

K

krazykara

Personally, I only mercy boot if asked. Otherwise I feel I am not there to babysit their sim and I won't mercy boot.
I would never ask someone to mercy boot my sim. Yes, sometimes I do go afk and may take longer than expected while skilling. But, I do check on my sim and don't forget them. I don't mind the time out feature, kind of glad they have it. Skilling is only boring when the rest of the house is afk. If people stuck around and talked to other sims in the room it would be great. We did that when the game first came out and it was nice. Skilling didn't seem bad because you were doing something else besides just sitting there looking at your sim skill. You were visiting.
However, I do understand the need to be number one and wanting to keep the neglected sims there. Just keep the ones who didn't ask for mercy boot. This way the ones who asked will be happy you did it and it is a good bet they will be back.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I definitely understand why some people would 'park' their sims and go run the vacuum cleaner rather than just sit there and watch their sim talk into the mirror.

If EA wouldn't make it so difficult to get out skills up and keep them up, then players wouldn't feel the need to 'park' their sims.

I generally 'look out' for skillers when I'm living in a skill house. I feel like I'm the hostess and as the hostess I have an obligation to take care of my guests. So if someone stops skilling and is just standing there, I make an attempt to IM them to let them know and then I boot them with another message telling them that I'm giving them a boot and they are welcome to come back when they are ready.

If people are worried about guest time, then they should really make an effort to give that guest a reason to want to be at your house. If they know you will help them, they will come back to your house time and time again.

And come on, let's get real....how long does it take to scan the lot periodically for sims that are on 'strike'. Does it really take that much effort to boot the sim out?

As far as tormenting afk sims? I always look at who the sim is. Do they have locks in place where they won't lose skill? Are they the kind of sim that would take offense at being tortured? Are they new? I would NEVER torment a new sim. I don't want a newbies' first experience in the game to be unpleasant.

L

Lucky Hawk

<blockquote><hr>

Hey Hawk remember the time you went afk in TT in the factory with me? *giggle*

[/ QUOTE ]

To stay on topic...I love giving mercy boots, that button is so fun to click. See them go poof. Then I have to clean up the pee they left behind!

I

imported_SimTripps

There's nothing wrong with a mercy kick, unless you want your guests peeing on your floor and another tombstone on your front lawn lol... Think prop owners and roomies have a responsibility to watch out for their customers - just like if you host a party and make sure those who party to hearty don't drink and drive. A mercy boot is like calling a taxi lol....

G

Maybe I should mention that I clearly state in my house bio that I am not afk friendly unless its for a short time.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Sadly, I do not have the power to mercy boot that poor miserable afk sim that gets carnapped and shows up at my factory for work. I do however, help put them out of their misery by luring them on to the tracks to be killed by an exploding robot
Does that count?

G

Well, I do have a skill house, but I rarely host. And when I have, I haven't exactly attracted the AFK crowd. Still, I've always despised the "how dare you AFK on my lot" attitude that was prevelant a few years ago, and sparked some debates about what to do to folks who dare to play the game differently than the hosts. So AFK is A.O.K. on my lot.

That said, I do draw a distinction between AFK and the timeout cheat. AFK is within the ToS. The cheat is not. And while I feel TSO should be changed in such a way that unattended lot hosting is capable without a cheat (such as what can be done in Second Life), I'm not so sure I support the idea of folks cheating their skills. And even if I felt that should result in a change to the game, too, the bottom line is that the ToS is still the ToS. I'm not a cheater, nor do I wish to be an enabler for those that choose to cheat.

Would I report them? No. I only report for excessive beligerant behavior and scamming.

Would I throw a fit and boot/ban them straight out? No. Forcing them to leave prevents me from discussing with them the "is it ok to cheat" debate, and attempting to get them to change their behavior.

But I still would not cooperate with them. I'd tell 'em there are no garuntees. You wanna get up and do other stuff, and come back before you timeout, fine. AFK is A.O.K. But should you choose to cheat, it's your responsibilty to prevent your sims' death. Hypothetically speaking, if the game were busy enough to have folks sending me pm's to boot someone so they can come on the lot? Hmm, I think I'd periodically pm my visitors, especially the one's that admitted they cheat, and if they didn't respond back in enough time, yeah, I'd boot 'em then. I guess I'd let the AFK folks know that there might be a chance they'll get booted to make way for others, but that I'm not so stringent that I'm gonna scream at folks or shoot cannons at them if they dare to go AFK. But for sure the admitted cheaters, they'd have to understand that if the lot fills up and I need to clear it, they're gonna be the first to go.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Sadly, I do not have the power to mercy boot that poor miserable afk sim that gets carnapped and shows up at my factory for work. I do however, help put them out of their misery by luring them on to the tracks to be killed by an exploding robot
Does that count?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG LMAO!!!

That happened to my friend in Mount Fuji. I had just gotten my last promotion and then here was my friend spending the 'entire day' at the cafe trying to get that ellusive promotion.

So I decide to drop by for a little 'pep squad' thing and I was never so shocked then to find a dead sim wearing a waiter's outfit standing on the curb.

I would like to add.....it's the first sim I've ever ever known to die while working the waiter job!!

E

Elizabeth Z

Hmm no problem with doing it if people ask . But I guess if your hosting its really up to you.. BTW I'm back in game for the moment I saw you online Trevor was gonna pop into your house to say hello but it was FULL! Good sign

Umm Plus I'm working on creativity for that serenade and Its going so slow Lol
I've slacked my way to level 6 in two days :p Anyway maybe I'll see ya sometime this week : )

Liz.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Hmm no problem with doing it if people ask . But I guess if your hosting its really up to you.. BTW I'm back in game for the moment I saw you online Trevor was gonna pop into your house to say hello but it was FULL! Good sign

Umm Plus I'm working on creativity for that serenade and Its going so slow Lol
I've slacked my way to level 6 in two days :p Anyway maybe I'll see ya sometime this week : )

Liz.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Welcome back Liz....Wonder if they were all afk needing mercy boots? hehe

G

well, i believe that i need to satisfy my customer, if he/she asks for a mercy boot, then i would do it. But if you want the sim minutes, then you might wait a little bit before your boot him.

M

Meggers

I definitely understand why some people would 'park' their sims and go run the vacuum cleaner rather than just sit there and watch their sim talk into the mirror
---------------------------------------------------------------------

It takes 4 hours to skill 1 point. If I had to sit there watching my sim all that time you would find my rl pic in every post office in the country.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

I definitely understand why some people would 'park' their sims and go run the vacuum cleaner rather than just sit there and watch their sim talk into the mirror

It takes 4 hours to skill 1 point. If I had to sit there watching my sim all that time you would find my rl pic in every post office in the country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your picture wouldn't be lonesome....I'm sure you'd have lots of company...including my picture.

E

Elizabeth Z

Well Hmm heres the thing though. Although I just came back and I try and limit the time I spend online nowadays I have to say I've met some of my best and most fun friends through conversations held at skill houses. AND best of all you don't pay attention to the little blue bar. Problem being its "hard" to find alot of Non -afkers. BUT if you see me around I'm usually talking and laughing and being a loud mouth. But I'm getting old I tend to burn out fast and then sometimes I just love watching the conversations going on and just being an observer or adding my 2 cents now and then...

LOL I must say though the majority of the time the conversation I DO See involves the following:

Roomie or Owner: Hi Welcome to SkillYourButt Off !
ME: HEY All thanks!
Roomie or owner : Serenades everyone in the house..
guest 1 : ty
roomie: yw
guest 2 : ty
roomie : yw
and so on and so on and so on ..... LOL UGH
I've noticed alot of times if my friends aren't there and sometimes even when they are *giggles* I tend to talk to myself until someone finally notices my insane ramblings and responds at some point lol .
Anyway did I just derail? SOrry !! Again I think its up to the roomie /owner and if they feel comfortable with it then I say go for it don't make a big deal outta so many things were here to enjoy

M

~Mishka~

I have absolutely no problem with people wanting to skill their sims while afk and am happy to give a mercy boot when their sim starts screaming. I myself have tried to skill afk while cleaning house, but find myself returning to my computer every few minutes to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Well Hmm heres the thing though. Although I just came back and I try and limit the time I spend online nowadays I have to say I've met some of my best and most fun friends through conversations held at skill houses. AND best of all you don't pay attention to the little blue bar. Problem being its "hard" to find alot of Non -afkers. BUT if you see me around I'm usually talking and laughing and being a loud mouth. But I'm getting old I tend to burn out fast and then sometimes I just love watching the conversations going on and just being an observer or adding my 2 cents now and then...

LOL I must say though the majority of the time the conversation I DO See involves the following:

I've noticed alot of times if my friends aren't there and sometimes even when they are *giggles* I tend to talk to myself until someone finally notices my insane ramblings and responds at some point lol .
Anyway did I just derail? SOrry !! Again I think its up to the roomie /owner and if they feel comfortable with it then I say go for it don't make a big deal outta so many things were here to enjoy

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to play a lot and talk a lot.

But there would be times when I was just talked out...*gasps..did I say that?*
So I just skill and play brain dead while I also watch House or Survivor or such.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I was once booted out of a skill house for talking too much. I guess they didn't like my complete sentences interfering with their.....

HC
Ty
AFK
WB
Ty
Where's the food?
HC
TY
YVW
BRB

Converstions.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

I was once booted out of a skill house for talking too much. I guess they didn't like my complete sentences interfering with their.....

HC
Ty
AFK
WB
Ty
Where's the food?
HC
TY
YVW
BRB

Converstions.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot LOL and OMG

M

Meggers

Looks like you have been to my house, ya'll forgot WTF!!!!!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

Looks like you have been to my house, ya'll forgot WTF!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! After all those years of playing Toontown...I'm just happy I rarely if ever hear the phrase "You Stink!"

D

Driven Rain

Whats the purpose for a mercy boot again? Is it to prevent an afk sim from skill decay once they stand up, fall down, pee on themselves, whatever? As a business owner I wouldnt care if they stood in a pool of pee as long as I got their visitor hours. I guess theoretically, if you had a full house, you would be preventing a non afk-er from landing and skilling by having the afk person loitering around.

W

wishywashygirl

I give mercy boots when needed because its the polite thing to do and because I don't want a house full of tombstones and urns LOL

But sometimes it is just soooooooo tempting to let them die... especially if they haven't warned me in advance that they may need a mercy boot. With a house full of 35 sims and being the only roomie on the property it can be even more tempting. With a full house, one or two roomies just don't have time to keep an eye on all the afk sims.