• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

merchant quest and VvV *sigh*

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Right but I'm perma orange everywhere right now, not just in vvv cities which is not great.
Make the guild, join VvV, resign and if needed, resign from the guild too. Three dayz = all better and say thank you VvV

BluDjinn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Say you are a crafter on Siege in Heartwood with a beetle loaded down with supplies doing the quest to get the talismans and recipes you need to progress in your lifestyle as a crafter.

Two VvV Pks enter Yew.

Think a new player has a chance to escape?

How often does this person die before giving up.

Basically Heartwood is now a deathtrap.

Two PK one with tracking/reveal enter town and a crafter has zero chance of survival.

Towns are now the most dangerous place to be on Siege.

It is NOT a well thought out Idea to make towns into battle zones at PK's wishes.

There are plenty of other spots to let the players who want to fight, fight each other.

Forcing players who do not wish to PvP, to become victims is counterproductive.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not to defend the devs on this, but they had to make a way to prevent Blue players from interfering in VvV, I just think their testers failed to give good feedback, if any was even given.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Siege is a triple threat place and Heartwood is now seemingly gone on that shard if you make the mistake of turning orange

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Long time board lurker and long time UO player here.

I have a many dozen houses in Fel and all of the characters on my many many accounts all live in Fel as well. This VvV stuff is very frustrating and totally changes the way I play and enjoy the game. All of my characters have something to do with crafting and gathering resources and none have anything to do with PvP.

I don't understand why they made this big of a change in the game that changes so many people's play styles.

I'm not in any guilds and I don't care to be at this point in my playing of UO and I shouldn't have to be in one to know which towns are screwed up at the moment.

I have stuck with the game thru many changes but I don't know if I'll stick it thru this one.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never wanted any of the Slim the Fence rares. I mean the mempo? But this means if you are blue and want the smuggler title or Slim's rares, your only option to not get VvV whacked is to do Fel New Mag offers and float to Occlo? Wow, that's really restricted!
Why do you have to go to Occlo after going to New Magincia if you want to deal with Slim? Also, Occlo is a VvV city....

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Make the guild, join VvV, resign and if needed, resign from the guild too. Three dayz = all better and say thank you VvV
I have a guild I am the GM of, I don't want to dissolve the guild to go blue again... :/

Anyway, I really don't feel like I should have to find someone in VvV to kill me or drop out of my guild simply because I got stuck in the VERY first town I went to on the publish day.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Siege is a triple threat place and Heartwood is now seemingly gone on that shard if you make the mistake of turning orange
To solve the Heartwood problem on Siege, copy the Heartwood NPC's to shops in non VvV towns, that could be Umbra, Zento, New Magincia, Vesper? Also keep West Britain out of Battle zone, just use East Britain. I could live without Heartwood, it's not really fit UO very well but I love the quests.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a guild I am the GM of, I don't want to dissolve the guild to go blue again... :/

Anyway, I really don't feel like I should have to find someone in VvV to kill me or drop out of my guild simply because I got stuck in the VERY first town I went to on the publish day.
I believe you can just opt into VvV then immediately opt out and wait 3 days.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To solve the Heartwood problem on Siege, copy the Heartwood NPC's to shops in non VvV towns, that could be Umbra, Zento, New Magincia, Vesper? Also keep West Britain out of Battle zone, just use East Britain. I could live without Heartwood, it's not really fit UO very well but I love the quests.
Well clearly any of that would require a lot of work, so it wont happen. Whether it fits or not, heartwood is the only source of runics for carpentry or fletchery.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok, it definitely works as a solution to accidentally turning orange.
If you are guilded, there is no need to dissolve your guild.
On the guild menu, opt into VvV as an individual. You are not adding the whole guild, just yourself.
Then immediately opt out of VvV. After 3 days the problem is solved.

If you are not in a guild.
Create a guild of one for yourself.
Again, on the guild menu opt into VvV.
Thenj opt out of VvV, and if you wish opt out of the guild.
Wait three days and the issue is gone.

Until they do something better about blue interference in VvV battle towns <and they NEED to> this works.
Just don't go into Fel on that char for 3 days.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to defend the devs on this, but they had to make a way to prevent Blue players from interfering in VvV, I just think their testers failed to give good feedback, if any was even given.
There has to be better ways to prevent blue interference.
Until they do something better about blue interference in VvV battle towns <and they NEED to> this works.
I would as well imagine that there could be better ways to prevent non-VvV players interference into VvV battles then just have everyone turn orange....

I think this part should really be tought-up again..........

Ellistan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Dusts off user ID*

One of my favorite characters, and the only one who frequents Fel, is a peaceful lumberjack who lives in Occlo. I appreciate the hard work of the Devs, but my character should not be turned semi-permanent orange for something he chooses not to be involved in. Nor should he have to die or use some elaborate three day workaround. He's never been to Tram, or even used a recall spell/scroll. He's one of the things that still keeps me logging in and justifying expenses. This will make me shelve him. Not trying to be hostile or negative and I want the PVPers to have fun too... just wanted to share how I was negatively impacted by this mechanic.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think part of the problem is that many of us had been very quietly using the Fel cities for years and not making a big enough deal about it. To the point that the devs just forgot anyone was still doing all that stuff in Fel. That is my most charitable reason for letting this flagging system in the game. That they forgot about us and didn't realise anyone was in Fel and not PvPing. Unfortunately now this is pointed out, it still sounds like the system is going to stay. Which makes it feel like we weren't forgotten, we're just not the sort of players they want in Fel any more ;)

Wenchy

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*Dusts off user ID*

One of my favorite characters, and the only one who frequents Fel, is a peaceful lumberjack who lives in Occlo. I appreciate the hard work of the Devs, but my character should not be turned semi-permanent orange for something he chooses not to be involved in. Nor should he have to die or use some elaborate three day workaround. He's never been to Tram, or even used a recall spell/scroll. He's one of the things that still keeps me logging in and justifying expenses. This will make me shelve him. Not trying to be hostile or negative and I want the PVPers to have fun too... just wanted to share how I was negatively impacted by this mechanic.
Really, Really well stated! And sorry. Me 2 that why I kept posting and posting and posting.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think part of the problem is that many of us had been very quietly using the Fel cities for years and not making a big enough deal about it. To the point that the devs just forgot anyone was still doing all that stuff in Fel. That is my most charitable reason for letting this flagging system in the game. That they forgot about us and didn't realise anyone was in Fel and not PvPing. Unfortunately now this is pointed out, it still sounds like the system is going to stay. Which makes it feel like we weren't forgotten, we're just not the sort of players they want in Fel any more ;)

Wenchy
1999 / 1998. Just doing my thing.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Wenchy
It did really hit me what my objection has been all along. Since October 98 Minoc has been my home. I gather wood there, I gather ingots there. Since 98. It was comfortable to use the benefits of Minoc Fel. All my characters use the bank there. Just now I don't have everything in a magic locked chest. @Wenchkin , thank you for putting it in words and make me understand what was really bothering me. RTB has made me think of all those who left, for whatever reasons. I for one hold onto those times by keeping those places alive. Not now and all the lack of respect for public places in general chat now.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
it seems that the only valid argument for the orange timer crap is blue character pushthrough

why not just make it so that blue characters don't stam block orange chars in VvV cities and get rid of the whole orange timer altogether - I realize it's a little more work but it's worth it

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so i was running a couple quests today.
10 to be exact.
3 times the town i was running to went under siege either while i was running to it or IN IT!
the 2 of those times i was IN the town when they became active, both times the gump came up in the middle of the screen telling me i had to leave, both times i had to turn around and flat out run to get out of the towns.
both times i had to go home and check with my other account to make sure i wasnt Orange because it took me what felt like forever to get out of the town.

this is seriously not a fun aspect of the game.

would it not be simple enough to just code into the game that if your on a merchant quest that your immune to the call of war?

i still dont know why they didnt just use the existing faction bases for the VvV thing.
like really, they are just sitting there empty anyways.
make THOSE places so if your in them for more then 30 seconds your auto orange.

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Wenchy
This.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
would it not be simple enough to just code into the game that if your on a merchant quest that your immune to the call of war?

i still dont know why they didnt just use the existing faction bases for the VvV thing.
like really, they are just sitting there empty anyways.
make THOSE places so if your in them for more then 30 seconds your auto orange.
But the Devs wanted to breathe new life into Fel cities, remember?

I still say that non-VvV characters should be telestormed to a random non-VvV city when the battle begins, perhaps even 15 seconds before. Upon entering the city, the gump will warn that the battle is about to start and the city will temporarily stop being a guard zone. This could be pretty tough on Siege when you find yourself whisked from Skara to Vesper, but we need something so non-fighting characters don't become easy targets.

Mandrake of DF

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really dont see the problems here - all the hassle is about doing quests in felluca and you hit VvV towns thats active fights.

If you got a boat there, you cannot recal in...if you enter there - get out when you got the message...Build up the trader reputation from trammel side for the time it takes...or just take a break.

The changes are for to make blue healers attackable, sneakers and outstanders to be wiped - and alligned to a fight.

I sure got pissed at it, but - the changes is better than its worce...i wouldn't have it other way.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really dont see the problems here - all the hassle is about doing quests in felluca and you hit VvV towns thats active fights.
No the hassle is any non-VvV player being affected if they are using a city's facilities when one of the VvV battles arrives. The trade quests are just one aspect of the game which has been affected by these changes.
If you got a boat there, you cannot recal in...if you enter there - get out when you got the message...Build up the trader reputation from trammel side for the time it takes...or just take a break.
Non-VvV players should not have to disrupt their game to suit those who participate in VvV battles. There is also a consequence if you have players using Tram cities instead of Fel ones: Nobody uses Fel unless they want a VvV fight. Even the VvV players themselves don't have to live in Fel and use the cities if they aren't fighting. So if there isn't a fight to go to, you'll be lucky to ever see anyone in Fel.
The changes are for to make blue healers attackable, sneakers and outstanders to be wiped - and alligned to a fight.
And this can be achieve in other ways. This is taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. I love PvPers, but they are not entitled to empty cities to have a fight. I've been an active PvPer and I would never have wanted my fun to interfere with those who didn't fight. I certainly wouldn't want them to flag orange so I could kill them and discourage them from returning to Fel. It's not like Fel suffers from overcrowding :D
I sure got pissed at it, but - the changes is better than its worce...i wouldn't have it other way.
Some players are less enthusiastic about this disruption, some are going to be affected by it every time they play UO. If you tell those people to move on often enough, eventually they just up and quit the game.

Wenchy

Lonliness

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Its a shame that to develop a new thing in UO it upsets some players..Unfortunately the games balance has been disturbed again..I can see people getting bored of VvV soon,so hang on in there guys..Things will even out soon.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
But the Devs wanted to breathe new life into Fel cities, remember?

I still say that non-VvV characters should be telestormed to a random non-VvV city when the battle begins, perhaps even 15 seconds before. Upon entering the city, the gump will warn that the battle is about to start and the city will temporarily stop being a guard zone. This could be pretty tough on Siege when you find yourself whisked from Skara to Vesper, but we need something so non-fighting characters don't become easy targets.
Why should non-VvV chars be telestormed around and get interrupt just because someone decided to make Towns to battle zone. Faction could fight fine without having to kick non faction out of the town.
I'm sure I would get mat if I jumped of my boat at moonglow to turn-in a Traders Quest and then get teleported to Britain a sec before I turn in the quest.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why should non-VvV chars be telestormed around and get interrupt just because someone decided to make Towns to battle zone. Faction could fight fine without having to kick non faction out of the town.
I'm sure I would get mat if I jumped of my boat at moonglow to turn-in a Traders Quest and then get teleported to Britain a sec before I turn in the quest.
I know, and you have a point about someone getting telestormed just before turning something in. But I'm talking within the constraint of towns becoming VvV zones, no matter what. It's very frustrating because the problems that arose can be fixed only with solutions that are even more complex.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The Fix on TC is fine, 2 hours are ok

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Fix on TC is fine, 2 hours are ok
Agreed!
Not perma 'orangie' and the button to get out. That and the one time reprieve, the devs really listened and did a great job on this one!

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do find it funny to hear how quickly the developers came to the rescue of non-PvP players when they had their poor little playstyle "adjusted". Welcome to the world of the Ultima Online Thief profession.

The major difference being...the developers actually did something to fix your issue. The thief profession in UO has never been the same since publish 16...and the only time the devs provided a "so-called" bone was with the creation of Doom artifacts. *golf claps*...la

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do find it funny to hear how quickly the developers came to the rescue of non-PvP players when they had their poor little playstyle "adjusted". Welcome to the world of the Ultima Online Thief profession.

The major difference being...the developers actually did something to fix your issue. The thief profession in UO has never been the same since publish 16...and the only time the devs provided a "so-called" bone was with the creation of Doom artifacts. *golf claps*...la
People who play trammies > people who play thieves. As in, there are far, far more of them(trammies vs. thieves), take care of the masses. Or, as Spoc would say, "the needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few."

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure that makes sense, but at the same time, it's nice to give those complaining about this change a little taste of what an entire UO profession had to deal with and are still dealing with...la