• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mentor please

T

Trinsie

Hello all,

I sorta played this game a few years ago. What I mean by sorta is I never got very far and was pretty bad at it.

I am going to reactivate my account because I want to give it another shot and have some fun. I was hoping I could get a mentor. What I mean by that is someone that won't get annoyed answering endless questions, because I will have lot of them. I need someone that I can ask things to in game because I will be learning how to play all over again.

Thanks in advance if someone is willing to mentor me a little to get me on my feet in game.

Also I have a question for this post already. I am about to start and was wondering what an simple class is. What I mean by that is a simple but at least slightly effective class type to play that would be easy and help me learn the game. I can create a character I like better later, but would like to play the first week or so on something not super complicated so that I can get things down and learn.

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd start with a warrior. Maybe a fencer or swordsman since the weapons seem to be plenty and you won't have to buy ammunition.

I'm happy to answer questions via ICQ (PM me for the number) or via PM here. I'm in game usually in the evening. If you'd like to meet up for Q and A sessions I'll look for you! Typically when I am on, I'm stocking my shop or hunting for things to stock it with. If you'd like to accompany me on a hunt I'll spot ya with heals.

T

Trinsie

k I gotta get ICQ then. I had it years ago but not anymore.

Ok well I was thinking that most games a melee is generally the most simple to grasp but in this game I been reading these forums and it seems super complicated.

From what I read I need to be pally, necro, sammy with minimum +60 necro skill in gear, super slayer weapons, macros created for my 50 something abilities or I will get killed by even a wild rabbit. Or so it seems from what I been reading. It get kind of confusing. I was hoping there was something more simple. Couldn't I be just a plain warrior or pally or sammy or necro without mixing it all and confusing myself to start? Is that a recipe for disaster and will I not be able to kill anything trying to make something simple? I just wanted something that I could use on the learning curve but most of the posts on here are way over my head :(

Edit: Oh I have another question now I have a rather nice large HD monitor. When I just got in the game an hour ago I set it to 800x600 which is the largest I can get it to go and it is so tiny in the corner of my monitor. The only way I can find to make it larger is to hit full screen but then it is way to big and stretches across the whole screen making the mouse cursor the size of my fit and is annoying. I tried to change it in the registry editor but cannot find the right files. Does anyone know how to make it bigger than 800x600 without hitting the annoying full screen option? There has to be a way I just cant figure it out.

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
On template question, the simpliest is to go the following route

Fighting skill of choice (Fencing, swords, macing, archery)
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Chivalry (I suggest chivalry because its the easiest of the fighting modifiers to learn and fight with and relatively easy to level)
Parry (You don't need this with Archery however)

This gives you 6 skills. You could go 7 with something else, or leave it at six and go from there. Focus is a nice skill to have as it regenerates stamina.

Welcome to the server.

I

Intrepida

if your not looking to be a fighter tailor is a easy gold maker. I just restarted and made a tailor and was gm in 14 days with 240K in the bank. You can hunt animals around New haven till you can get to delucia once there you can kill cows and goats like mad use a skinning knife its faster and it cuts the hides up auto as you kill them. THen sew the stuff up and sell it to tailor and prov and blacksmith.

F

Flora Green

A basic warrior with chivalry or a tailor are the two templates I always start on a new shard. Easy to train and decent gold. If you do tailor as Intrepida suggests, get a blue beetle instead of a packy to haul your hides and wool. Welcome to Origin. :)

T

Trinsie

Ok I have what I am making don now.

So can anyone answer the game play window question?

How to increase it beyond 800x600 Without going to the massive full screen?

S

Shot

On template question, the simpliest is to go the following route

Fighting skill of choice (Fencing, swords, macing, archery)
Tactics
Anatomy
Healing
Chivalry (I suggest chivalry because its the easiest of the fighting modifiers to learn and fight with and relatively easy to level)
Parry (You don't need this with Archery however)

This gives you 6 skills. You could go 7 with something else, or leave it at six and go from there. Focus is a nice skill to have as it regenerates stamina.

Welcome to the server.
I'd suggest getting resist spells rather than parry. Mage monsters rock now and just a couple lichs or imps can mess you up if you don't have it.

L

Lady Tiger

Under options you go to display and click full screen resolution 1024x768 and game play window size 800x 600 or if you want you can click Use full screen display and that will make your whole monitor the game window. Hope this helps

T

Trinsie

Under options you go to display and click full screen resolution 1024x768 and game play window size 800x 600 or if you want you can click Use full screen display and that will make your whole monitor the game window. Hope this helps
My delima is (if I made it unclear in my previous pot). I have a rather large HD monitor. When it is set to 800x600 the game window is a tiny little block in the top left corner of the monitor. If I hit fullscreen it stretches to the full monitor making it huge with a cursor the size of my fist and almost unplayable. I need to increase it but not nearly to the fullscreen mode option.

As an example with other games.. lets say Diablo for instance. If I want to solve the problem since there is no resolution option beyond 800x600 I can go to the registry editor via regedit in the run prompt and set the games hexadecimals to increase the resolution manually. I can do this with almost anything, but with Ultima when I go.. there is no files to change the hexidecimals of unles the folder is hidden somewhere.

----
| Ultima with 800x600 example on my monitor (not the real size but what it seems like
----

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
|
|
|
Fullscreen Mode |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
O |
-|- <--- Me |
M |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

I would like to set it to something much smaller than my monitor resolution but much larger than 800x600... something like 1280x1024 or something around there.

G

Ghost_Writer

That's a limitation to the 2d client. The only thing you can do is decrease your monitor's resolution when you play. For instance, if you set your monitor to 1024x768 the UO play window would take up most but not all of your monitor, 1280x1024 would probably be better if you have over a 21" monitor. Then you can set it back after you're done playing. Play with different resolutions to see what looks best to play with.

You can download and install the KR client (Kingdom Reborn) and see if you like or can play it. Entirely different look but the same game. It has a re-sizable game window you can basically fit to your monitor.

Hope that helps,
Ghost

wanderer1origin

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i run 2 22 inch monitors

need a few minutes set up to maximize

if play options dependant options on build a very good fix
else laggy

My delima is (if I made it unclear in my previous pot). I have a rather large HD monitor. When it is set to 800x600 the game window is a tiny little block in the top left corner of the monitor. If I hit fullscreen it stretches to the full monitor making it huge with a cursor the size of my fist and almost unplayable. I need to increase it but not nearly to the fullscreen mode option.

As an example with other games.. lets say Diablo for instance. If I want to solve the problem since there is no resolution option beyond 800x600 I can go to the registry editor via regedit in the run prompt and set the games hexadecimals to increase the resolution manually. I can do this with almost anything, but with Ultima when I go.. there is no files to change the hexidecimals of unles the folder is hidden somewhere.

----
| Ultima with 800x600 example on my monitor (not the real size but what it seems like
----

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|
|
|
|
Fullscreen Mode |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
O |
-|- <--- Me |
M |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

I would like to set it to something much smaller than my monitor resolution but much larger than 800x600... something like 1280x1024 or something around there.

T

Trinsie

Ok I installed KR version and it fixed all my viewing issues and works great.

My new problem is on the 2d version I went to macros picked a key and set it to "bandage self" so that I could just hit the button and I will start to apply a bandage to myself.

On the KR version I am trying to do this and I cant figure it out. I can make a macro to use a bandage but I am forced to click on myself then hit this button so that it bandages me. Is there a way to make a macro on KR that I can just hit it and I start to bandage myself without having to physically click on my character first?

G

Ghost_Writer

Well I tested KR but haven't played it since it went live. If I remember correctly, right click on the macro button you created and a menu will pop up, hover your mouse over target and hit target self, i think you have choices of target cursor (creates a target cursor for you to pick your target), target self (self), target selected (whatever is currently the shown in the top center of your screen, targeted monster, targeted enemy or ally, or the container you have open, etc.).

T

Trinsie

Well I will give an update since it has been a week and 2 days since I started playing again and I have made a lot of progress but have a few questions.

I didn't make a tailor like some said I should but I made a miner/smith instead. I have done a lot of mining and been using him to make armors and weapons to train with. For cash I have been picking up gold off the monsters I kill and selling extra ingots to NPCs (not sure if there is a market for the normal ingots, been saving the colored ones though)

I have been following guides on skill training that are on this forum. My plan is like this:

120 Mace
120 Bushido
120 parry
110 Tactics
100 Spirit Speak
40 Necromancy - no fail with curse weapon
70 Chivalry

It will be a wraith form warrior. Now obviously I can't get those skills to 120 yet so they will stay at 100 until later whenever I can upgrade them. Currently my skills are as follows:

72.8 Mace
97.6 Bushido
81.0 parry
89.8 Tactics
96.3 Spirit Speak
40 Necromancy
70 Chivalry

I got a bag with a 100% LRC suit from a vendor at one of the houses in Luna for 25k gold and used it a bit. Mainly I just been burning through chainmail suits til they break for parry and weapon gains. I do those trainings in Horrific Beast form so that I don't have to cure myself.

I am currently skilling off lizard men in despise for my weapon.

The questions I have now are this:

I killed a monster and it put an Ankh Pendant into my bag. What is this item for?

I have been skilling Spirit Speak by having the skill bound to my space bar key so that I use it a lot while traveling without even thinking about it. Is there a better way to gain skill in it? Because it is going really really slow now.

Also my Bushido skill I gave up on after over a day with 0 gains. What do I do at this point to get the last bit finished?

Everything else is going fine right now just need to keep working on them for the next few days.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Edit: P.S. I also gave up on using the KR version of the game because I could never figure out the bandage thing. Til then I am just gonna stay with 2D.

L

Lady Tiger

you're doing really well for doing that for 2 weeks. have you tried killing the black ants near the wind entrance on the tram side? If you see me around luna bank on my mule just say hi and i'll get you some mace weapons...i've been playing with the bronze hammers making different weapons..you can have them for free. my mule is Lady Tiger. I could probably get you a couple of the scrolls you need...well the 15's at no charge.

T

Trinsie

Nope haven't been to wind or fought any ants. What skill would I be working on them, macing?

I will definitely say Hi if I see you. I have been playing about 7 hours a day and almost never see anyone. Feels like a console game cause of lack of human interaction so far. I am sure when I am not spending all day skilling and start spending more time in town I will meet some people.

Edit: Oh and I thought of another question. So on the left side of my paper doll there are 5 slots. One for helmet, bracelet, ring, gorget... but what is that 5th slot between gorget and helmet for?

T

Trinsie

ooooh. Makes sense.. cept I didn't even know there were earrings :D

Haven't found any yet I guess.

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think earrings drop like they used to, on occassion on low end spawn methinks. Congrats on your progress so far! Great to meet you in game tonight. =) There are people around, the world is just so large that we're all spread about.

T

Trinsie

Update to my progress.

So I found out how horribly bad I am at this game tonight.

The Halloween quest started tonight. I was excited to start it because I have not done a quest yet nor an event.

I went to Yew and ran around for 15 minutes and couldn't find the court house with Jasper.

I went to town and ran into one of the 2 people I have met in game so far and they opened a portal for me that was close to it.

After finding Jasper I was thrilled. I read the book next to him to figure out what I needed to do for the quest.

I don't want to ruin the quest for anyone that doesn't want to know where to go so I will be vague from now on.

So it says to go to a certain dungeon to do a certain something. I looked around but could not find anyone interested in doing the quest with me so I set out to find it on my own.

I searched the internet to find out where this certain dungeon was but finding information was harder than I expected.

I finally found a house outside of Luna with a book labeled with the dungeon and I used Sacred Journey off of it.

I appeared somewhere that turned out to not be very close to the dungeon and it took me another half an hour to stumble across the entrance.

I went in and there was a monster near the front door. I buffed up and attacked it. I managed to live approximately 3 seconds.

So I ran what seems like forever to find a healer to rez me. I came back to get my body and was 1 shotted by the monster again before I could retrieve it.

Third time is a charm right? Nope! Got back, ran around the mob, and got my body. Left the dungeon and healed up. I buffed again and set some closer together macros. I went in and was attacked by the first monster of the dungeon again.

This time I knew what he was doing and had previously fought him. He was shocked and didn't know what to expect. Thus I managed to live a whole 7 seconds this time.

Took 4 attempts to claim my body this time. After that I went to town and gave up for now.

That is your update :)

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lol.. yikes! Sounds like a rough night. When I get home from work today and get what chores I need to do, done I'll help you if you're interested and still need a hand.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trinsie,

I'd be happy to help if I knew when and where to meet you later this evening. In the meantime there is a fairly thorough walk through available at www.uoguide.com

T

Trinsie

Ok new update sorta.

First off lessons learned. So last week I got my first house. It is not very big but it is in a nice location and I have been working on it putting up a more walls and stuff each day with whatever I earn.

The lesson I learned is make sure at all times you relock or secure your chests. I got stuff out of a chest the other day and forgot to lock it down. When I logged back in the next day my chest was gone with all the stuff in it.

Next subject is the change!

So I decided to put my warrior on hold for a while and play something I would like more, since I have a much better grasp on the game than I did.

Originally I was going to make a mage but that somehow turned into a mage/tamer.

I have been working really hard on it all week long, but taming is going slow.

I found a house north-center of Luna with bags full of 110 scrolls for 3-5k gold each. There was no magery in there but I picked up one for taming, eval, vet, and animal lore.

I am currently:

104.1 Animal Lore
96.6 Animal Taming
93.8 Evaluate Intelligence
100 Magery
100 Meditation
104.3 Veterinary

That is without any +skill items because I don't have any.

I tried to tame a drake at destard today to upgrade to a better pet. I died several times from dragons and greater dragons that would spot me. So for now I am sticking with my nonagressive pets.

I have a pair of Gaman that I tamed and have been training. They are 90+ in all their skills but not GM in any yet. They are not the strongest beasts but seem sturdy enough and have been working nicely so far.

My main thing is that I must make sure they are the brunt of the assault and I don't get hurt, because that cheap lrc suit I got has almost no resists :D

That is about it for now. I will give another update on my progress in another week or so.

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awesome, you're doing well with the tamer! ICQ me today if you want to tame a drake, I'll peace the surrounding critters so you can lure one out. And I feel you on the secure chest thing. Been there done that. :(

T

Trinsie

Yeah that sounds great, we can do that tomorrow maybe. I spent today training my taming skill. I had good and bad luck.

I managed to get only 0.2 skill in 5 hours then suddenly I got 1.3 in like 15 minutes.

All in all I got 7.2 skill today which puts me at 103.9

Latobian

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that sounds great, we can do that tomorrow maybe. I spent today training my taming skill. I had good and bad luck.

I managed to get only 0.2 skill in 5 hours then suddenly I got 1.3 in like 15 minutes.

All in all I got 7.2 skill today which puts me at 103.9
Great, congrats again. :) I still need to finish getting 120 on my tamer - and she's around 8 years old, hehe.

I should be home today, I'm hoping, around 5pm EST or so. Last patient should have come and gone by then.

T

Trinsie

Thanks for the help with taming better pets today!

After that I finished up my taming at 110.

I am now 110 with 5 of my 6 skills (all except magery it is 100), just saving up for scrolls now :)

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I'll look around, but I might have a 110 magery somewhere you can have. No promises, but I gotta look to see.

Holler if you need anything. I'd be glad to help

T

Trinsie

My first good pet should be bonded by tomorrow.

Edit: The rest was a rant that I am removing after time to think about it.

T

Trinsie

I have a serious question.

I know that there is a control chance calculator for taming.

Is there any type of tame chance calculator or guesstimator?

I am wondering because of this.

I have 110 taming, I cannot afford 120 any kind of scroll and it is rough.

I have tamed 1 Cu ever and it was with help. Stratics says they are 101 min skill to tame.

That doent give me any clue on my chance to tame.

You see tonight I took my cu out to the weald and was killing other Cu' to see if I could pop anything good. Eventually I popped a pure white.

I was beyond excited.

My suit is bad.. really really bad. I die instantly in 1 hit from any Cu.

So about once every 20 minutes I would get hit and die and have to rez and run back.

This went on just over 2 hours with probably 50+ tame tries and over a thousand you anger the beasts.

Eventually someone else showed up and saw my prize Cu there, and several minutes later saw me get hit and die. I got a rez and they tamed it.

I thought I had lost it at that point, but they gave the Cu to me :)

Anyways... so my question is what are the chances to tame a Cu at 110 skill? less than 1%?

T

Trinsie

This is a control chance calc from UOCraft, it should closely approximate chance to tame if you do not factor in the incredibly high chance of angering on attempt.

http://www.uocraft.com/taming/pet-control-chance-calculator/
I don't want to say you are wrong. But with 110 taming and 110 lore that calculator gives me a 99% (max chance) to control a Cu.

If that is closely the same as taming chance then it is waaaay off cause I am not in the ballpark of 99% taming chance on a Cu.

I would be shocked if I were at 5%.

A

Anon McDougle

Trinsie i play a lot every day whats your in game char names ??

T

Trinsie

I am currently having a heart attack and the worst time in game ever so far.

I was standing at the moongate and looked at felucia.

I was like "hmmm never been to magincia before.

Popped in there and was murdered by all the NPCs swarming the moongate.

I discovered that I cant go back through the gate. I also did not have an important item insured. I tried so many times to get my body back that I emptied my life savings from the bank on insurance costs.

Now right as I am typing this I am constantly running in and grabbing my body and dying instantly, in a desperate attempt to retrieve my wares.

Doesn't look good though, probably will have to abandon my body.
Edit: I can't move now lol. I died so many times that my backpack has so many grey robes in it I am over burdened.

Also question.

If you have 50+ of your bodies all piled on each other and you are frantically spamming trying to find the one with your gear on it.

How can you find the right one?