• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Memories

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sometimes I'm lucky enough to bump into someone in game and it brings back memories of certain things that happened in my UO life. Here are a few of my fondest memories - what are yours? (trying to keep it short which isn't easy for me).

1) Early on the devs of UO's inception nobody knew what the game was about and a lot of people had theories that there was all kinds of hidden content to be figured out (e.g. Relvinian's maze). One was wisp speak. So for awhile I used to write down all the things wisps used to say. One day I met a very talkative wisp and repeated back one of the expressions I had written down. The wisp spoke back, so I typed out another wisp phrase, and so it went back and forth for a few minutes. Very soon I had a small but amazed crowd that thought I could actually converse with wisps. I don't think the wisps do that anymore - too bad.

2) Much like the first memory, I decided to use the expectation that there was more to the game than there really was to play a prank on a newbie. I used to live on Jhelom island on Great Lakes. One day while hiding out I watched as some newbie thief practiced their art on the local NPCs. I finally burst out of hiding and yelled at him to "leave my island and never return - that it's citizens were under my protection." and proceeded to chase him all over the island till he finally jumped on the teleporters. And now that I think of it, I don't think he ever did come back to my island.

and it's killing me but I'll stop there for now and let some others toss out their fond memories...

Setanta

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember hiding in the big trees in Yew trying to convince passers by that I was the wood god and they should bring me offerings.

I wish I had made a rune to the caverns near the prison before they broke the box trick.

I did make a rune to the room in the Brit wall by the gate. I would go there and try to talk someone into finding the nearest guard and tell him I was ready to confess.

I really miss the days when NPC's were more talkative. And when the orcs would respond when you called them stupid.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I miss the days of being ganked and having to run back to Vesper and getting my spare armor while hiding on my warrior getting dressed for battle again. :)

I miss the days of just meeting up with freinds in the game and deciding which dungeon to do and hope we made it out alive.

I really missed my favorite vendors and my favorite weapon of choice. Poison katanas.

The most missed memory that all the cities were alive and busy with players. It was fun just having interaction with many of the players.

Last edited:
G

Glowember

Like you, I have MANY memories. This is going to be hard...

I played as Theros Ironfeld and I lived in the Village of Edinburgh. I fondly remember the battles between the guild Death Corps [DC] and their leader Elmdor and our tiny village. We occupied the area just south of the dungeon Wrong. There was a wooded area that separated the village from the mountain pass into Wrong. I used to patrol that area on my other character Tanis. There was this one time that the Seers came in and staged an event there, with a golden elemental, the murder of Smithson, and the pirates attacking the bay. The Whispering Pines tavern still stands, I believe, and I plan to head back there this weekend.

I remember in my early days of UO, I'd mine the pass leading out of Britain. I'd have to leap frog my ore all of the way back to the forge and HOPE that it didn't get stolen. One time, a bunch of people came running through screaming PK!! I had no idea was PK was... so I decided to have a look. Silly me. Chain lightning rained down all over the place. This was back before the shard was split between Trammel and Felucca. I miss those times.

My last good memory (for now) is when I became the guild master for the United Blacksmiths of Britannia.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah I see you are a fan of the Dragonlance series. :)

G

Glowember

Hey Zosimus, yes... I am a huge fan of Dragonlance. When I played UO, my creativity was fairly lacking. :)

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Zosimus, yes... I am a huge fan of Dragonlance. When I played UO, my creativity was fairly lacking. :)
hehe no worries mate. I am a huge fan of the series. I still read many of the books as I can.

I had a character named Brightblade and I was totally razzed because some other guy that was well respected had it first :p

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Theros, I have some of your old holiday grams and I think perhaps a suit of armor made by you.