• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Memorial's to people that died in our game (Warning: could turn into a hot subject)

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can we have a clarification on how these work? Could there be a cemetery or dedicated area to all those that we have lost in the game? At present they're spread out from places they used to bank at to near the house they lived at or at a fel spawn entrance. Some shards haven't gotten any memorial's for people they lost even know they have asked. Can the EM place it? if so how do we go about doing it? What are the criteria?

This game has gone on for so long some of our friends are not coming back. But they loved this game and I know it would mean lot to those that are still here.

It would make a lot of sense to create some guidelines.

Thank you

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There are such markers in the game, usually on the player's home shard.

And there are larger tributes, such a Goodman's library on Atlantic.

But you're quite right, Ox, we need to know how these happen, in policy. There indeed should be a universal manner of how they're administered .​

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Having had a Memorial built for a dear friend we had to chose where to put it... and we chose where our Armory used to be near all the houses in Yew that we go but where we used to gather to go fight seemed appropriate somehow.

And you contact the EM on your shard to get it done. They don't say much at the Memorial Service they leave that up to you... but they do place pretty much whatever you'd like along with a gravestone you can pick. This site is pretty helpful: Memorials « Great Lakes

JDs

Adventurer
Don't people just fake their deaths to get a monument and then keep playing using a new acct or name change?

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you contact the EM on your shard to get it done.
I wish it was that easy.

There are two people that I would like to do this for on Napa. I haven't asked yet. I'm a afraid to after what took place on Oceana the other night.

On Oceana it's beyond the point of being irritating. I'm not going to get into details on that.
It was simply wrong though it did make it crystal clear we need some guidelines.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Player Memorials

Memorials

There are two ways to create a memorial for a player who has passed away.
Private Memorial
The Primeval Lich Champion gives six different styles of headstones. These can be engraved with the statuette engraving tool, which is available from NPC tinkers. You can then lock them down in your house for a private memorial.
Public Memorial
You may request that an EM place a memorial in a public place. Please your EM – with the information below to help create a fitting memorial.
Please keep in mind that the EM must send the memorial request to Mesanna for final approval before placing the headstone.
Please include:
  1. The name of the player who has passed away.
  2. Requested date for placement of the memorial.
  3. Preferred Location. It must not block housing, cannot be in an NPC town, and should be near the house of a friend or guildmate.
  4. The text you’d like engraved on the memorial. The memorial may have up to five lines of text, each approximately seventy-seven characters long, including punctuation and spaces.
  5. We can lock down flowers and plants by the headstone. Any other decoration will be subject to approval.
  6. The headstone you’d like. Please choose from the picture below and specify whether you’d like it to face East (as pictured) or South.
  7. Whether you would like the headstone in its natural hue or shaded an appropriate color.

Please be courteous and respectful with your requests. Any offensive or demeaning messages on the memorial will be denied.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I wish they would of put the head stone in one of the cemetaries where people can visit. not in front one someone's house. i know I wouldn't want one there. seen some that do block housing, even though they aren't supposed. just my opinion. some of us vets are getting old.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wish they would of put the head stone in one of the cemetaries where people can visit. not in front one someone's house. i know I wouldn't want one there. seen some that do block housing, even though they aren't supposed. just my opinion. some of us vets are getting old.
I always thought something like that. Or make a new cemetery near many of the towns and such... There is plenty of room to be doing something similar. One could seriously be created in front of the East side of Yew Abbey. Would be neat too if they could add some sort of vase or urn or something where when you clicked it then it would have flowers in the vase or the urn would have a fire... which would last for 1 day. This way you could feel like you "left" something each visit and you could see if someone else had visited. Could also have a book folk could write in.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I have mixed feelings about player memorials. Over the 17 years I have played off and on I have lost a lot of close friends in the game to death irl. Some of them weren't known or popular enough to have a group of players request a memorial on their behalf. Some of them passed during a period of time when memorials weren't offered. Those people were very very close to me, and part of me wished that they had a memorial I could visit. But on the flip side to that, I find memorials to be extremely depressing. I'll be running about playing the game and stumble upon a memorial with heart wrenching text. It just really kills my mood for the rest of the day, (Yes I can be rather soppy like that).

I understand the importance and value to player memorials, but I wish there was a more uniform, yet still personal way of doing it. Having dozens of memorials scattered about UO just kills me when I run into them. Maybe they could add a small zone dedicated to remembering our parted friends and loved ones? I dunno. Just talking to myself at this point.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
See like I said they could be put by towns that folk live near, Tokuno, Britain, Yew, Minoc, Trinsic, Vesper, Cove, etc... people get attached to a town... least they did in the day... and I actually requested that my friends memorial be near the Abbey but they wouldn't allow it and said it had to be near somewhere we go.... which I didn't much care for. He really belonged near the Abbey.

I kinda agree about how you run across one and just get sad...

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I always thought something like that. Or make a new cemetery near many of the towns and such... There is plenty of room to be doing something similar. One could seriously be created in front of the East side of Yew Abbey. Would be neat too if they could add some sort of vase or urn or something where when you clicked it then it would have flowers in the vase or the urn would have a fire... which would last for 1 day. This way you could feel like you "left" something each visit and you could see if someone else had visited. Could also have a book folk could write in.
I was thinking a plant that can be changed out and / or a fire that can be clicked on.
With everyone we knew in that area.

Thank you

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I find memorials to be extremely depressing. I'll be running about playing the game and stumble upon a memorial with heart wrenching text. It just really kills my mood for the rest of the day, (Yes I can be rather soppy like that).
Exactly. They should be easy access (clicky object to teleport you) to a location or physically close to one of the old towns. This could be done for everyone. Even a wall of names would be nice.

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And there are larger tributes, such a Goodman's library on Atlantic.

But you're quite right, Ox, we need to know how these happen, in policy. There indeed should be a universal manner of how they're administered .​
Goodman's Library on Atlantic are player-held houses. Despite repeated attempts no submission for a marker has been given approval for a permanent memorial for him. The last submission was in August 2015 to which there was no reply.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Goodman's Library on Atlantic are player-held houses. Despite repeated attempts no submission for a marker has been given approval for a permanent memorial for him. The last submission was in August 2015 to which there was no reply.
I'm lost. Are you talking about a memorial for Goodman?

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
full recreation memorial garden.jpg

Well this is what we built with our EM only to be told once it was finalized and completely built that it couldn't be there and had to pull it all down. One tiny 7x9 house could be placed in one spot, although in 18 yrs noone has ever put one there and within two screens or so you can place a castle if you want, not to mention the 100's of empty 18 x 18 spots and other lesser plots. You can walk around Luna and place multilple max houses just outside the wall, the spot is even vacant on Atlantic, but yeah, our memorial gardens were 'illegal' as someone might wanna place and if we had it there everyone else on other shards would want it, and not sure what the other 'objections' were.

Suffice it to say there is a lot of bad feeling re the whole thing atm. The EM placed all the 'official' memorial stones and we decorated them into a 'wall' and solo plots, an area to have a service if people required it and areas for people to 'sit' and remember etc. All the decorations were supplied by players. We had 5 of the memorials taken up already, with relatives of one (passed away sept 2015), and real life friends of another who (passed away Jan 2016) in attendance when it was completed, both of whom were overwhelmed and so pleased with the area. It was designed so that it was 'future' proofed, which unfortunately is something that is likely to happen given the age of the game and the age of players now. So while 5 of the spots had their engravings there were another 10 that could be used and the area allowed for the hedge to be moved back if in future you needed any more room. The concept was that when someone required a 'memorial' they could select the 'stone' (as per the post above), get it engraved (5 lines), if they used a 'wall spot' they also had an additional 3 lines on the sign, and they could also select what 'deco' they wanted if they chose a pedestal type stone and select a banner for the wall as a further way of 'customizing'. While the stones were place for current visual appearance it allowed future players the ability to then 'customize' it with the help of the EM in the future. The ones not in use just say 'memorial stone' while those in use had detail of the player main char, the time they passed and small memorial script.

Anways, we can't use that whole space and so now we have to try and find somewhere else, and put up 'single' stones or something, the info is pretty unclear. This area was ideal as it was on a point by itself out of town, not in the way of anything and not in everyones 'face' so you really had to be 'going' there rather than stumble over it.

Either way the concept of a Memorial Garden shouldn't be discounted, there are a LOT of players now in their late 50's, 60's or older and this is gonna be happening more and more. One of the above players. had played consistently with 3 accounts for the past 16+ yrs and passed away very suddenly, her husband still plays. It has been a traumatic experience for a lot of us, and a dedicated area should be nominated so that this grief and hassle with requests is eliminated. Surely something coordinated and planned is much better than a bunch of ad hoc stones springing up all over the place with some people getting attended to and others being ignored depending on shard, EM etc etc etc.

Anyways, I guess we will have to try again. Although I must admit it is pretty disheartening to go to so much effort for nil result.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
View attachment 43045

Well this is what we built with our EM only to be told once it was finalized and completely built that it couldn't be there and had to pull it all down. One tiny 7x9 house could be placed in one spot, although in 18 yrs noone has ever put one there and within two screens or so you can place a castle if you want, not to mention the 100's of empty 18 x 18 spots and other lesser plots. You can walk around Luna and place multilple max houses just outside the wall, the spot is even vacant on Atlantic, but yeah, our memorial gardens were 'illegal' as someone might wanna place and if we had it there everyone else on other shards would want it, and not sure what the other 'objections' were.

Suffice it to say there is a lot of bad feeling re the whole thing atm. The EM placed all the 'official' memorial stones and we decorated them into a 'wall' and solo plots, an area to have a service if people required it and areas for people to 'sit' and remember etc. All the decorations were supplied by players. We had 5 of the memorials taken up already, with relatives of one (passed away sept 2015), and real life friends of another who (passed away Jan 2016) in attendance when it was completed, both of whom were overwhelmed and so pleased with the area. It was designed so that it was 'future' proofed, which unfortunately is something that is likely to happen given the age of the game and the age of players now. So while 5 of the spots had their engravings there were another 10 that could be used and the area allowed for the hedge to be moved back if in future you needed any more room. The concept was that when someone required a 'memorial' they could select the 'stone' (as per the post above), get it engraved (5 lines), if they used a 'wall spot' they also had an additional 3 lines on the sign, and they could also select what 'deco' they wanted if they chose a pedestal type stone and select a banner for the wall as a further way of 'customizing'. While the stones were place for current visual appearance it allowed future players the ability to then 'customize' it with the help of the EM in the future. The ones not in use just say 'memorial stone' while those in use had detail of the player main char, the time they passed and small memorial script.

Anways, we can't use that whole space and so now we have to try and find somewhere else, and put up 'single' stones or something, the info is pretty unclear. This area was ideal as it was on a point by itself out of town, not in the way of anything and not in everyones 'face' so you really had to be 'going' there rather than stumble over it.

Either way the concept of a Memorial Garden shouldn't be discounted, there are a LOT of players now in their late 50's, 60's or older and this is gonna be happening more and more. One of the above players. had played consistently with 3 accounts for the past 16+ yrs and passed away very suddenly, her husband still plays. It has been a traumatic experience for a lot of us, and a dedicated area should be nominated so that this grief and hassle with requests is eliminated. Surely something coordinated and planned is much better than a bunch of ad hoc stones springing up all over the place with some people getting attended to and others being ignored depending on shard, EM etc etc etc.

Anyways, I guess we will have to try again. Although I must admit it is pretty disheartening to go to so much effort for nil result.
That's some of the stupidity that comes with the game. Someone got butt hurt over the Memorial and opted to be a total anti-social jerk-off and complain... shame on them. I think it's awful you have to lose that.

Ox AO

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's some of the stupidity that comes with the game. Someone got butt hurt over the Memorial and opted to be a total anti-social jerk-off and complain... shame on them. I think it's awful you have to lose that.
Not in this case it came down the next day after it was built. That is why I made this post. The primary difference between this one and the others is that it has a grave yard vs a gave site.

I like the idea of an out of the way grave yard or wall and that is why I'm getting other peoples feed back on it.
Something you don't run into every time you go do something.

It's funny how this game evolves. We have to relearn what early civilization did. IE: Grave yard vs a site.

Thank you

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm lost. Are you talking about a memorial for Goodman?
Yes I was just making clear that the Tribute to Goodman on Atlantic was not placed or "blessed" by EM's and no such tribute has ever been approved.

The Memorial Garden above is very nice. So very sorry & sad to hear it was taken down.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes I was just making clear that the Tribute to Goodman on Atlantic was not placed or "blessed" by EM's and no such tribute has ever been approved.
I'm confused. This isn't a player built memorial.

goodman.png

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That is the Town Stone for The Blue Crane Society of Zento. You will see a Blue Crane Statue on the steps of the houses that are part of the town. There were no memorials other than the Christine & Flint memorial and the Eternal Flame in Felucca on Atlantic for many years. There were no guidelines or official ways to get one.

Players (not me) had asked for a Memorial for Goodman in the Fall of his passing. They were told no. I applied for one after the destruction of New Magincia and was told no. I had asked for too much not knowing what if anything would be acceptable. People would say it was favoritism.

Probably about 6 years ago the Player Town Program was started and our town was one of the first to apply. Since there was no Official way to get a memorial and there were no guidelines, I asked for those words to be attached to the Town Stone. Many of the people in my town are friends or knew Goodman & Doc of Jhelom. It seemed fitting and I figured it was the only chance I would ever get.

Awhile after that the Guidelines for Memorials were posted by the EM's and we began to see them appear in the lands. Last August before the 10th Anniversary, his son submitted what will be the last try for one and received no answer back. We've always maintained the Magincia Beach house as his memorial and that will continue.

There are some lovely tributes on Atlantic because of the program. I would be sad to see them taken down. Whether it's unique locations, memorials or decorations, I love to see the different ones on each shard. I don't like the cookie cutter mentality. I believe that we love this game more because our shards have unique places and personalities. When they take them away, the world becomes less original and we care less about it.

christineflint.jpg eternalflame.jpg

Last edited: