• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Memorials for UO

• Thread starter UODevTracker
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

Cal_Mythic

Hey all,
I just wanted to let you know this is still on the radar. We're still discussing how to implement this.

We can find the area, and we can find a good method for making certain players are sincere about their intent ... the question remains:

How do we handle those from Felucca who wish to honor their friends and family?

I should not have to say this, but please be respectful of this post, and the opinions of others.

C

Cal_Mythic

If you want to pit a war memorial type area into UO, go right ahead... Place one in Trammel and one in Felucca, have the same names on each. Problem solved. Everyone's loved ones get the same respect regardless of the viewing player's status.

However: Cal - I think you radically misinterpreted what the playerbase was asking for. While a 'memorial' is an interesting idea, the only thing people have asked for is to be able to use a statue engraving tool on the tombstones we get as loot - not to engrave the tombstones in a graveyard.

Honestly, a shard-wide memorial for deceased players, or the real-life loved ones of players, will be a nightmare to administrate on your end. Will you require a death certificate? An obituary? If not, what’s to stop someone from scamming the system?

Also, not to seem insensitive, but if you do go ahead with the memorial idea you should really limit it to deceased players only...

The optimal solution is to allow US the ability to engrave looted tombstones and display them in our homes as our own memorial. Sure, someone could engrave something abhorrent on a stone - but it would require that we mouse over it to see it. Apply the same rules as obscenities in books and names and punish the offenders as appropriate. This solution cuts down on Mythic’s workload and leaves any memorials in the player’s hands
Hmmm okay ... so I'm clear. If we allow players the ability to scribe on looted tombstones this "answers the mail .."?

I'd really like to get more inputs on that. As I understand it that would be only 1/2 of the solution. Of course it would reduce the amount/potential for griefing and of course it would give those individuals the right amount of closure.

In addition, I could see it would also allows players to have "Dedication Ceremonies" with the tombstones.

Am I understanding correctly then?