• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[General] Mechanics of Enhancing

G

Grash

I am working my way up tp GM tailor (presently 95) and I did not try anything fancy other than just grinding up. Since I was gaining on some gargish items I thought I would try to outfit my garg character. I have a few exceptional pieces that i would like to make a bit better, so exactly how do I use the enhance function. It does not seem intuative to me and I am obviously missing a step.

Please step me through it with small words.

Thanks!

S

Sir Kenga

Have in your pack item u want to enhance.
Have in your pack enough material u will enhance with (let's say 50 horned leather).
Equip your best tailor talisman. I'm not sure if it helps, but i always equip anyway =)
Use sewing kit (non runic).
Select Horned leather in gump.
Click Enhance button, target your item.
That's it.
Possible results:
1. Item destroyed.
2. Attempt failed but item is not destroyed. Some material is spent.
3. Item enhanced.

G

Grash

Thanks for the reply, but it just wont let me do it. I have horned leather in main top lervel of my pack (50 per the example above). I have the item to be enhanced and a regular sewing kit. I double click the sewing kit, get the tailor menu, select barbed hide, select enhance, then get a targeting cursor asking which item to enhance, then I click on the plain leather item and the menu defaults out and says I must select a special material in order to enhance an item with its special properties (or words like that).

I just noticed a small message that says I have no idea how to work this leather, so 95! must not be high enough.

Grrr! thanks for the info though. I'm sure it will be helpful at some point.

G

Grash

Re: Mechanics of Enhancing - New Question

So I was goofing around and understand the mechanics of enhancing now.

So for leather armour, is it better to make an exceptional plain armor item and try to enhance it or just make the item from the various special leathers in the first place?

S

Sir Kenga

Re: Mechanics of Enhancing - New Question

Sure it's better to make from start with color leather. It give same result, but unlike enhancing, it won't break your item.

G

gjohnson5

Have in your pack item u want to enhance.
Have in your pack enough material u will enhance with (let's say 50 horned leather).
Equip your best tailor talisman. I'm not sure if it helps, but i always equip anyway =)
Use sewing kit (non runic).
Select Horned leather in gump.
Click Enhance button, target your item.
That's it.
Possible results:
1. Item destroyed.
2. Attempt failed but item is not destroyed. Some material is spent.
3. Item enhanced.
I'm fairly sure talismans have no effect on enhancing. I changed all my crafters to gargoyles because AFAIK that is the only real enhancement bonus aside from higher skill (such as an ancient hammer). I do hold my ancient hammer when I want to enhance something really really badly. No ancint sewing kits for tailoring however

G

Grash

So, essentially enhancing is really only useful to make loot items (as opposed to GM made items of a particular type of leather or ingot) a little better - with the risk of loosing the item..

You wouldn't for example, take exceptional leather arms and enhance them with spiked leather, a GM tailor would just craft the arms from spiked leather in the first place...right?

So why enhance again?

K

Kallie Pigeon

So, essentially enhancing is really only useful to make loot items (as opposed to GM made items of a particular type of leather or ingot) a little better - with the risk of loosing the item..

You wouldn't for example, take exceptional leather arms and enhance them with spiked leather, a GM tailor would just craft the arms from spiked leather in the first place...right?

So why enhance again?
Yeah. I think the enhancing thing is good for looted items that aren't quite good enough or for slayer weapons to get a better damage distribution or to make a 100% single damage type from weapons close enough to do so, but where it REALLY EXCELLS is in reducing your item count. :) For armor just make it from horned or barbed hides. I use it for luck items and reducing item count although unraveling has taken up that a bit now.

S

Sir Kenga

Enhancing is really good for imbuing too. Although it can increase costs of new armor several times, because it breaks on attempts.

G

gjohnson5

So why enhance again?
I enhance blacksmith weapons because that will make the damage go a certain way. This can make the weapon more effective in PVM. For armor , enhancing will increase the resists if you succeed. It will make the armor better. For the most part, loot on monsters wont be anywhere near as good as legendary tailor or blacksmith armor anyway. You could imbue and then enhance and will wont get something as good as crafted armor. So basically you can craft with regular leather or ingots and a runic tool. Imbue with what you want and enhance. That's the general rule on weapons or armor.

K

Kallie Pigeon

I enhance blacksmith weapons because that will make the damage go a certain way. This can make the weapon more effective in PVM. For armor , enhancing will increase the resists if you succeed. It will make the armor better. For the most part, loot on monsters wont be anywhere near as good as legendary tailor or blacksmith armor anyway. You could imbue and then enhance and will wont get something as good as crafted armor. So basically you can craft with regular leather or ingots and a runic tool. Imbue with what you want and enhance. That's the general rule on weapons or armor.
I have the imbuing to look forward to now it should really help me lower my item count once I get good enough.