• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

May I be Cynical? A new client?

• Thread starter RavenWinterHawk
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
R

RavenWinterHawk

Come on. I love UO as much as the next person.
But youre telling me the big news is SA on a new client/game engine that is scheduled for release SOMETIME next year.

Thats it?
So is KR scrapped?

Isnt this just more of the same?

Am I missing something?

Sure pub 55 and 56 will be fun. But whats the big news?

Let me suggest...

Okay you say SA will be a new client. GREAT (if you pull it off). Sounds good. A spectacular new client with SA content, land, crafts, etc. etc. Well if youre going to do it. DO IT RIGHT. Make it a game unto itself. Sounds like it might be. Housing is there. Make it so one can go a buy the game OFF shelf. Load it. Learn it and just play there. Now Malas, Tram, Fel, Ilsh, and Tok should be converted to the new client I take it...

Introduce those lands again once SA is out. Have a coming out party for ILSH on the new client. And each land should follow with some spectacular events.

EA needs to win here. Your marketing is lame. Time to build a strategy to burst back into the eye.

So what is the big deal of this new client? Why the change?

Will it be a fiasco (though KR got better) like KR's release. Are you going to combine the interfaces of 2D, KR and create a third type?

What are the lessons learned DEVS? What is going to make SA so spectular that I would continue to play another 5 years?

I for one dont think we need more land for houses. I for one dont want 20 new items to craft that flood the market in a day. Or new boss monsters that become flavor of the day in a month or so. Come on. What is in this that adds to the depth of the game. I didnt hear anything about random spawnings. Random events. All the content we have asked for around exploring the world in a dynamic fashion.

What am I missing?

OH imbuing... Outstanding. That is something I am looking forward too. Could we get some more light shed on what we can do with old magic items and how do we lay gems on weapons? I think that might be a homerun.

M

Masuo Kenji

The SA client is basically an upgraded and patched up KR client. It's not entirely a whole new client.

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There will still be 2 clients, 2D & SA/KR. Check out the SA Q&A thread for more info.

R

RavenWinterHawk

There will still be 2 clients, 2D & SA/KR. Check out the SA Q&A thread for more info.
Read the thread. Thanks.

So SA is going to be KR reborn. Well not that bad. I like KR. SO they are fixing it up.

How about some more answers? Whats be added that doesnt get used up in a month of play?

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Read the thread. Thanks.

So SA is going to be KR reborn. Well not that bad. I like KR. SO they are fixing it up.

How about some more answers? Whats be added that doesnt get used up in a month of play?
Although I know the answer to this, which is all about money and their inability to fix them.

But here goes anyway...Why are they adding content when thare are countelss bugs that have been around for years?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My take from the SA thread was that they were going to do a bunch of bug fixes and add a few new features. It came off a little vague to me. I'll just wait and see. I recently tried the KR client again, but I just can't get used to it. It's not easy to relearn something you've been doing for 8 years. Things that are just second nature to me in the 2D client are totally different in the KR client.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is not a new client, it is a Kingdom Reborn 2.0 version called Stygian Abyss. Other MMOs such as EVE online rename their client after each major version.

They are probably re-branding KR to try and leave some of the negative feelings behind. If they just say they fixed KR people might be put off. But if they hear there is a "new client" called Stygian Abyss, they will be more likely to give it a chance.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My take from the SA thread was that they were going to do a bunch of bug fixes and add a few new features. It came off a little vague to me. I'll just wait and see. I recently tried the KR client again, but I just can't get used to it. It's not easy to relearn something you've been doing for 8 years. Things that are just second nature to me in the 2D client are totally different in the KR client.
I can relate to your KR comment, I gave up trying it.

In regards to bug fixes, I bet you that not one PvP based imbalance will be addressed. It may be cynical on my part, but something tells me that the Devs don't even PvP and that most of the client base plays in Tram anyway so why would they want to sink any resources into fixing PvP bugs.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*chuckles*

After all the people did to get rid of the 2d or want it removed, it looks like their cute little KR client needs tweaking.

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*chuckles*

After all the people did to get rid of the 2d or want it removed, it looks like their cute little KR client needs tweaking.
Who ever said the KR client didn't need tweaking? Anyone with half a brain knew it wasn't finished. I hope the SA client will be what the KR client should have been... the future of UO.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is not a new client, it is a Kingdom Reborn 2.0 version called Stygian Abyss. Other MMOs such as EVE online rename their client after each major version.

They are probably re-branding KR to try and leave some of the negative feelings behind. If they just say they fixed KR people might be put off. But if they hear there is a "new client" called Stygian Abyss, they will be more likely to give it a chance.
Oh you don't think the skeptics will be that easily fooled do ye?

This is UHall! Teeth will be gnashed, doom foretold, toys thrown and eventually prams emptied. Well, till the devs restock said prams with neon teddies... I mean stuffies...

I'm looking forward to the upgrades though, KR runs much happier on Mandriva and I'm looking forward to the new polished version.

Wenchy

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh you don't think the skeptics will be that easily fooled do ye?
What people think about a name may not be the same as what the product provides. This has been evidenced most recently with people and Windows Vista. People say how they hate Vista, then they are given a "new" test Windows OS to try. They say they love it then they are told it is Vista.

Draconi

Most explosive UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What people think about a name may not be the same as what the product provides. This has been evidenced most recently with people and Windows Vista. People say how they hate Vista, then they are given a "new" test Windows OS to try. They say they love it then they are told it is Vista.
Ultima Online: Mojave!

What, no? Ah shucks...

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is all true... but again, this is UHall :D We have a whole new level of skepticism here.

Wenchy

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What, no? Ah shucks...
LOL! Hey, it could do better than Vista :D

Good to see you escaped the dungeon, Draconi, though I'm guessing the door isn't in such great shape post-explosion...

Wenchy

L

lucksi

I recently tried the KR client again, but I just can't get used to it. It's not easy to relearn something you've been doing for 8 years. Things that are just second nature to me in the 2D client are totally different in the KR client.
Yes, that is also one of the many reasons why I don´t use KR. Why change the most basic things?

People who are still playing UO are not in it for fancy gfx, so just scrap that. Enhance the 2D client with the functionality that KR has in crafting, let us see in 2D where the healers are on the map.

Maybe incorporate Automap and -even better- uoassist.

And lot´s of new content.

I, personally, couldn´t care less about how it looks. I´m old, I´m used to not having fancy graphics.

R

RavenWinterHawk

What, no? Ah shucks...
Drac Drac Drac,

What about some dynamic or random or is it dynamic random spawn and events?
What about wrestling... PR department vs DEVs? If you guys win, you get shelf presence.

Any chance of wandering and finding an orc war party or brigand ship? Any work being done that gives reason to wander north of Vesper or through Despise and find chance encounters?

Whats wrong with bringing back stealing and doing it this fashion... Create a few hundred new items that have a tag that says STOLEN GOODS. Any item with this tag can be stolen or looted on any land.

STOLEN tagged goods can be found on NPC fences, Monsters, random dungeons spots, brigands you wander across (unique event) might have them, or even fished up.

In fact you can have several 1000 STOLEN GOOD items. Any piece of monster loot could have a STOLEN TAG attached to it.

Anyway. My question is... what about creating more reasons to wander and explore every crack and crevice of UO? Well not every crack and crevice that might be a bit unsettling.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya but in most coperate environments I have worked with say their #1 reason not to upgrade to Vista is because they would have to upgrade too much hardware just to maintain the same productivity they have with XP PRO. They just don't want the additional expense with little or no net gain.

Vista also has a dark DRM cloud hanging over it's head. They have implemented the technolgy to shut of nearly any 3rd party component that has been compromised via a compatability checklist updated through monthly patches. Further more said 3rd party hardware manufacturers must pay their periodic dues to the entity (namely key hollywood studios in bed with Microsoft) for the right to keep their hardware on that compatibility checklist. So if you hardware is dated and you as a hardware manufacturer no longer wish to pay the fee for this dated hardware, Microsoft can shut that piece of hardware down. If your 3rd party company goes out of buisines, again Microsoft can shut it down.

The new Blue Ray encrypton requires that each and every piece of hardware that Blue Ray data passes through performs this transmission of data in an encrypted format. This includes but is not limited to sound cards, video cards, internal mainboard bus and monitor... all can be shut down if the right conditions are not met. The long read: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

This technology is not currently active bit it is there waiting for you to buy "Mojave".... spooky stuff.

As for the SA client all I can say is it better be free. The Q&A thread does not even cover the two show stoppers for me using KR. Also, I will not pay for a once free(KR) client that looks horrible... even if they stamp over more of the art with 2D. I will not pay for a "Legacy" targeting interface. I have already paid for these things once when the sold me 2D. I'm not buying them again. I'm not paying for bug fixes or performance enhancements outside of the monthly fee. (admited to be half their budgeted resource for SA.) The other additions do not appeal to me. I really feel the other shoe is dropping here.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A bunch of words about Vista
I am not saying that Vista is a good operating system, I am saying that the general person's perspective about a product can be skewed by negative reactions of other people. Changing the name of your product can help greatly in giving it a second chance.

This is also not to say the new Stygian Abyss client is going to turn out great. It just gives it a fighting chance where as continuing to call it Kingdom Reborn is an uphill battle.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe... sorry man. Vista strikes a nerve with me. We have been knee deep in it and all it's slpendor with the handful of clients that just had to have it as soon as it hit the shelves. They didn't even wait for SP1.

I really thought this new client was going to be more of a "from the ground up" build... not just another coat of polish on the same old t*rd. This thread has the word "cynical" in it so I thought I was in the right place to let it out!

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, that is also one of the many reasons why I don´t use KR. Why change the most basic things?

People who are still playing UO are not in it for fancy gfx, so just scrap that. Enhance the 2D client with the functionality that KR has in crafting, let us see in 2D where the healers are on the map.

Maybe incorporate Automap and -even better- uoassist.

And lot´s of new content.

I, personally, couldn´t care less about how it looks. I´m old, I´m used to not having fancy graphics.
I totally agree with you about the improvements to 2D, but on the other hand I realize that for UO to survive it needs new subscribers. And unfortunately those new players want the pretty graphics. I can't say as I blame them, but for those of us who grew up playing Atari and the original Nintendo even the 2D client is good compared to some of the stuff we used to play.

Suddenly I feel old.

C

Connor_Graham

for those of us who grew up playing Atari and the original Nintendo even the 2D client is good compared to some of the stuff we used to play.

Suddenly I feel old.
Uh....I was the first one on my block to own Pong. Don't tell me about feeling old.... :lick:

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really wish they would expand the 2D resolution so we can see the full 18x18 update range. Even if it results in gray corners it would be worth it. Please please please.

T

Thrand Graywolf

People say how they hate Vista, then they are given a "new" test Windows OS to try. They say they love it then they are told it is Vista.
Uh...sorry, no. I wouldn't be one of those people. It took me about ten seconds to realize I hated Vista, and I could care less what they call it. It's still too irritating to live.

M

Mayadevi

Draconi lives !

Good to see you back !

Just got KR running on my machine. YEEECHIE !

I'm thinking I'll send in lots of really specific feedback, so maybe SA won't be soo bad.

I'm also thinking UO roleplay would be much improved if Draconi's Flush toilets made it into SA :D and if my cooks got Wield-able frying pans and rolling pins of course :blushing:

Mayadevi

N

NewThunder

The SA client is basically an upgraded and patched up KR client. It's not entirely a whole new client.
This is soo sad, Why did they even claim that it would be a new client. EA should have learned from failure and set the bar very very low. Does EA really think the player base is soo stupid that we will accept KR if they simply call it a new name.

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is soo sad, Why did they even claim that it would be a new client. EA should have learned from failure and set the bar very very low. Does EA really think the player base is soo stupid that we will accept KR if they simply call it a new name.
It's going to be new, because they are apparently gutting the KR client, and then rebuilding it while keeping the lessons learned from the previous release. The only thing that was wrong with the KR client is simply the fact that it was not finished. Looks like they now have the time to finish it right... only time will tell. There are still a great number of people out there waiting for a new client to be done right. If the new client is successful I seriously doubt there will be many that will not try it just because it used to be called "KR".

R

RavenWinterHawk

It's going to be new, because they are apparently gutting the KR client, and then rebuilding it while keeping the lessons learned from the previous release. The only thing that was wrong with the KR client is simply the fact that it was not finished. Looks like they now have the time to finish it right... only time will tell. There are still a great number of people out there waiting for a new client to be done right. If the new client is successful I seriously doubt there will be many that will not try it just because it used to be called "KR".

I hope your right.

LESSON LEARNED.

1. Change only the graphic experience (1st) everything else the same.
2. Options to change over to NEW interface (2nd)
3. Options to change ove to NEW WHATEVER NEXT (3rd)
4. Introduce new options as you have to turn the on (so on)

The DEVS have to get you cant flood the plate with food. The good taste gets lost.

Slow and steady and complete. Every change that is. Slow, Steady, Complete. Move on.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're not being cynical, just complaining.....look, I love UO too, but not to the extent where I'll quit over anything. If I was that much a putz, I woulda quit when age of shadows came out.

About housing, thats your opinion......about KR, face it bub, when adult players start shedding enough crocodile tears to refloat noahs ark, that's when KR was doomed. Players didn't want change, more like a buncha seniorssettled in their ways.

Crafting: needs a boot, one can't compete with the arties, and the scripters selling runics.....

EA's marketing:, LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS. Put that artwork on a shelf, please, it's a joke. I wouldn't market that 2D crap either. And yes, to another majority art makes a difference.

Man, I don't need events for me to play UO....if a guy needs events and live content just to enjoy the game, thats fairly sad. Shows no imagination. Why even log on??

If there's nothing for one to do when they log on, shut the pc off and go outside, read a book (phhht yeah right, not with this crowd)

One last thing, stop and take into consideration what's been availible to the devs, resources, time, hell, even a dev team.....if a team, (hate that word, corporate gimpism)....if a team, is reshuffled, and almost diminished, and I believe it has been, one will get crap as a result.

I can't compare UO to other games, I just don't have time, I have a life with outside activities.....So, UO is what I go by....tried WoW, that sucked, and haven't given any others a passing thought.

just a game dude, anything more, then help is needed.

later

R

RavenWinterHawk

You're not being cynical, just complaining.....look, I love UO too, but not to the extent where I'll quit over anything. If I was that much a putz, I woulda quit when age of shadows came out.

About housing, thats your opinion......about KR, face it bub, when adult players start shedding enough crocodile tears to refloat noahs ark, that's when KR was doomed. Players didn't want change, more like a buncha seniorssettled in their ways.

Crafting: needs a boot, one can't compete with the arties, and the scripters selling runics.....

EA's marketing:, LOOK AT THE GRAPHICS. Put that artwork on a shelf, please, it's a joke. I wouldn't market that 2D crap either. And yes, to another majority art makes a difference.

Man, I don't need events for me to play UO....if a guy needs events and live content just to enjoy the game, thats fairly sad. Shows no imagination. Why even log on??

If there's nothing for one to do when they log on, shut the pc off and go outside, read a book (phhht yeah right, not with this crowd)

One last thing, stop and take into consideration what's been availible to the devs, resources, time, hell, even a dev team.....if a team, (hate that word, corporate gimpism)....if a team, is reshuffled, and almost diminished, and I believe it has been, one will get crap as a result.

I can't compare UO to other games, I just don't have time, I have a life with outside activities.....So, UO is what I go by....tried WoW, that sucked, and haven't given any others a passing thought.

just a game dude, anything more, then help is needed.

later
Nah the cynical part is the promise and lack of delivery man.
Im not quitting.
And your right my opinion is mine.

Its the lack of delivery.

If they said 2d gone KR on. Id live with it.
They couldnt deliver KR.

Now they are saying SA modified KR. GREAT. Love the intention but what is going to be delivered?

Why be so ambitious. Upgrade the SA client with great graphics. Then add in the new interfaces and what have you in steps. Meanwhile, continue with event content at a nice pace. Patch and fix fast. etc etc.

Im hopeful. But I wonder.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Draconi, sorry to sound redundant but noone at EA ever replys be it thru these forums, E mails or gm paging. Im talking about the continued tolerance of cheats and speedhacks in this game. Why is it not being addressed after what has now amounted to a couple years?