• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Maximizing Damage Output

A

Aldredge

So i haven't played uo in a long while now but i keep seeing posts on tamers not being able to do enough damage to get there shinies.

Since i am not able to get on and test this personally i thought i would go ahead and post a quick idea build for guaranteeing you get your shiny in the next big fight.

Pet of choice Hell hounds or Frenzied ostards.
Skill set up - 110 taming, 110 lore, 100 vet, 100 magery, 120 discord, 120 music, 120 provoke.

That is the base skills your hoping to get i didn't really think on it to hard so obviously you can adjust it to suit you as needed.

You are aiming to use discord + inspire with a pack animal of your choice, this should be more then enough to out damage your most hated of rivals :)

The pack animals are fragile but with the amount of tanky sampires and such in the world now it shouldn't be an issue. I ran a similar build without provoke back during the shadow lord event and never at any point failed to get a shiny even if i came into when the lords were at half health. With just discord my hell hounds would tend to hit in the 70-80 damage per hound range, with inspire this should be even greater.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Honestly it depends on the tamer and playstyle. I run a mage/weaver/tamer and use a GD unless I know there will be lots of moving around - then I take my Cu. I have not had a problem with getting decent drops.

A

Aldredge

True it is mostly about the style but i think there are enough people that are apparently having issues that it was worth posting this. Truthfully you don't need near the skill points listed and there is alot of room for improvement on the build. You could probably get by with 90 taming/lore 90 vet and just using frenzies truth be told.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So i haven't played uo in a long while now but i keep seeing posts on tamers not being able to do enough damage to get there shinies.

Since i am not able to get on and test this personally i thought i would go ahead and post a quick idea build for guaranteeing you get your shiny in the next big fight.

Pet of choice Hell hounds or Frenzied ostards.
Skill set up - 110 taming, 110 lore, 100 vet, 100 magery, 120 discord, 120 music, 120 provoke.

That is the base skills your hoping to get i didn't really think on it to hard so obviously you can adjust it to suit you as needed.

You are aiming to use discord + inspire with a pack animal of your choice, this should be more then enough to out damage your most hated of rivals :)

The pack animals are fragile but with the amount of tanky sampires and such in the world now it shouldn't be an issue. I ran a similar build without provoke back during the shadow lord event and never at any point failed to get a shiny even if i came into when the lords were at half health. With just discord my hell hounds would tend to hit in the 70-80 damage per hound range, with inspire this should be even greater.
Yeah if you could find a target with no area effect and get a GD or sampire to tank, that could be a really effective idea. Sadly I feel like your pets are gonna die a lot no matter what hunting big stuff, and thier skills will just degrade. Also sad that pets cant eat power scrolls.

A

Aldredge

Well in general going up against anything with a aoe damage ability is a bad idea. As for finding a sampire or something to tank this post was only to help the players who are having difficulties dealing enough damage on special enemies in events/champs etc a tank should not be to big of a issue in these cases. The things you can hunt solo with pack animals can be more easily hunted with a GD or equivalent big pet.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

To be honest with you, this is no longer true. Tamers are actually the ones getting all the drops right now due to the looting rights to take healing into final calculation. The dps build for tamer that works best is actually the standard waver tamer mage. This template allows you to deal burst heal\damage with a level 6 focus and you can pretty much deal with just about any situation.

The pack instinct tamer bard idea is fun but in reality, it is very limiting on what you can actually handle with regard to high end bosses. To be honest with you, you will probably be ressing more than you are actually doing damage.

If you heal your GD and deal damage to your target at the same time while the GD tanks, you pretty much have better chance than other general templates (caster\dexxers).

Last edited:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ideally you want to have skills (on soulstones if necessary) so you can take all different pets out depending what you're doing. Look at what you're fighting - lore it! See what its weak points are, what damage it's doing and watch it in action against other players and pets *before* you take yours in there. When there's an event spawn I always observe before I risk a pet on spawn. Then match it with a pet combo that will do most damage and take less damage from that beastie. There isn't a single pet that will be best for everything.

I've run a cat pack on my main mage/stealth/herd tamer, but I prefer them with a disco/voke tamer. She can pull down the main target monster with disco and use voke to keep any other spawn out the way of her pack. Also, she can provoke the main target onto something else rather than her pets, then send the pets in to chew it up :D But as a pack tamer, deaths of your pack members will happen. You don't want them all the time or your pack will lose skill and be ineffective. You need to be quick at resurrecting any fallen ones as you fight, or you'll have the domino effect as they all fall over dead. But the secret is to rotate the first pet in so the skill losses are shared among the pack members. And train a pack up fully before you take it into dangerous spawns.

I went round one invasion with a dread and normal mare. Got quite a few weird looks ;) But I teamed up with someone who had a GD and they really messed those monsters up lol. The handy thing with that combo was that I could mount the dread if it got in trouble and retreat quickly. I'd scout while mounted and pull a mob back to the guy with the GD, hide so the GD took the tank role and send in my pets. Then we both supported the GD/each other and watched the monsters fall over.

Wenchy

A

Aldredge

Well again having not played in a while my ignorance is showing, including healing in to the equation is awesome. Is it standard for all the big event monsters to have aoe attacks now? The last event i attended something in Luna i believe, consisted of monsters who apparently instantly killed every player and pet on screen that wasn't invisible every 7 seconds or some crap. I left that event after about a minute of wondering what kept killing me....

Last edited by a moderator:

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty much, event bosses and newer dungeon bosses all have some sort of area attacks.

That is why spellweaving is really decent when it comes to healing your pet because with Arcane Empowerment on a level 6 focus, you can either use Gift of Renewal or Greater Heal to boost your ranged pet healing ability. New monsters in game are given abilities of area \ aura \ re-targeting as well and I find myself using more and more ranged healing spells just to keep monsters from switching their focus from the pet to my tamer.