• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

mapmaker lenses?

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Are they useful? And can they be changed to gargoyle use? Tyvm in advance.
My experience is that their usefulness is debatable (I have +5 carto glasses).

The higher your carto; the better chance at a higher quality chest (ie gold or metal vs rusty). That said, I personally was not able to tell the difference between 100 carto vs 105 carto back when they made all the changes to treasure maps. I'm completely making these numbers up but if my chances at 100 carto was 10% of getting a gold chest; with carto at 105 it felt like my chances at getting a gold chest was 12%.

Not to go down a rabbit hole, but I even wonder if there is really that much of a difference with gold vs metal T-chests from a loot quality standpoint. There are definitely a few more items in a gold chest but in my experience the intensity of items wasn't different. Heck I've even gotten a few "keepers" from a rusty chest vs tossing every single item in a gold chest.

So technically yes they will improve your chances but I wouldn't go crazy trying to fit them into your suit.

Last edited:

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
hmmmmmm...... im pretty sure that there is a hard cap on cart of 100 and it does not matter if you go to 105 it wont change your loot.
I seem to recall that was asked of the Dev's at some point and that was their reply.
so once you are at 100 cart it's just a pure luck suit to change your chances of a better chest and loot.

THAT SAID, I run the +5 glasses too on my GM cartographer.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there a way to change them to Gargoyle?
If it is possible, it will be done by "alter" in the tinkering menu. i have a pair and will see if i can alter. I'll edit the post either way

*Edit* yes, it is possible

1713137644838.png

Last edited:

Destiny<3

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Also when you have glasses that push you over the cap the radius increases for when you are digging up the chest.

shootgun

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also when you have glasses that push you over the cap the radius increases for when you are digging up the chest.
Hmmmm, is this true? I remember reading that the +5 from glasses does not push it beyond the max. I wonder if something changed.

FishinFool

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
The only skill I am aware of that doesn't have a power scroll and has any functionality over 100 is mining and only in regards to smelting.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

firec

Visitor
If you are running EC, you can hit Ctrl+shift to immediately be able to target the chest, determine quality, and restart digging if needed.

In my experience, each chest above supply has ~1/20 chance to spawn outside of its "normal" range.

For example, default quality is metal. So 19/20 times I dig, it'll be metal. I'll wait until I see either gold or rusty. If I see gold, I finish that dig. If I see rusty, I switch back to default.

Each chest only seems to have one alternate quality.

mihali

Sage
Interesting. So you can see the quality of the chest before the chest pops out with a bunch of guardians by Ctrl+Shift? While it is still in the ground? Will try with CC and EC see if there is difference in quality detection
Also I was able to alter the legendary mapmakers glasses to garage, but then you have to sacrifice the Yukio's large luck bump and stat benefit. Not a very good move.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
uoguide says it is taking you over the cap:

" The glasses have +1 to +5 Cartography skill and will go over the skill cap. (Functionality similar to Mining Gloves.)"

I also think I remember Kronix posting something on the official forum along the lines of the glasses working like the mining gloves because they use the same code or so, which might be the source of the claim on uoguide.
UOguide is written by anyone who wants to add stuff to it and historically has misinformation or wrong data.
even if you go in and fix it, someone comes along and changes it to their reality.
so take anything you read on a wiki-type place with a grain of salt.

see, and i remember Kronix posting the exact opposite of what you just said and that the mining gloves and the glasses do NOT push you past the cap so its wasted.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Both the mining gloves and the carto glasses take me over the cap (in the "modified skill" view in the EC). Also Petra Fyde already showed us a screenshot confirming this regarding the glasses.

And Kyronix posted this in the thread: Legendary Mapmaker's Glasses - Ultima Online Forums (uo.com)

1713365849779.png

So if the mining gloves give the bonus, and the carto glasses work like the mining gloves as confirmed per Kyronix, let alone that the "modified skill" view states that you're at 105 (carto and mining) skill with the respective items equipped, we can reasonably conclude that you can exceed the cap.

Scott1234

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Luck plays a role in treasure chest loot.
that means:
1. Don’t use a gargoyle, since their potential/max luck is heavily nerfed.
2. The map glasses can be imbued with 100 luck, but can’t be enhanced To 140 luck.

the new fortune visage helm, can be enhanced from 250 to 290 luck. That could well be a better choice than map maker glasses. (?)

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Luck plays a role in treasure chest loot.
that means:
1. Don’t use a gargoyle, since their potential/max luck is heavily nerfed.
2. The map glasses can be imbued with 100 luck, but can’t be enhanced To 140 luck.

the new fortune visage helm, can be enhanced from 250 to 290 luck. That could well be a better choice than map maker glasses. (?)
I couldn't find the blurb from Kyronix (it might be on the official forums) but luck for chest loot isn't checked until you pick the lock so technically you could go around with your +5 carto glasses to dig up chests with improved chance at getting better quality chest (ie gold) and then once you kill all the monsters; swap over to your luck head piece (Visage if you wanted to use that) and you would be getting the best of both worlds.

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
The chest and it's content is created at the first succeful digging attempt according to Kyronix. He also says that you can't change that chest after the first succeful digging attempt besides if you let the timer reset the map after 30 days.