• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] Man is this frustrating!

• Thread starter a gargish zombie
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
A

a gargish zombie

Man is this frustrating! I am trying to craft regular leather armor pieces with the following resist:

3/4/10/9/9 or 2/5/10/9/9

Both are theoretically possible. I have 100 Armslore and 106.1 Tailor skill. I can get the minimum resist to show up anywhere but on fire multiple times. But out of 1200 or so attempts I got fire at 4% maybe 5 times so far. Why is this so hard? Is the RNG that messed up?

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Zombie,

I looked through my last chest of leather trimmings and didn't keep any pieces like you want. I now have changed my ways a bit since originally posting what I look for and its probably harder. I look for two lows and two highs and I don't care about the fifth resist. The low has to be 3 or 4 and the high has to be >=11 and >=9. Any pieces like you wanted I have recycled. Sorry. I do have a piece close to what you want. Is there a specific piece your looking for?

As for the RNG I went through about 3000 leather on the last luck suit I made. I had some awesome pieces after the first 500 leather, but those all broke.

My recommendation is to just farm leather on Hiryus in one batch of 3000 leather before you start. Breaking when you have leather won't be so frustrating.

-Lorax

A

a gargish zombie

I am trying to build a suit for my Sampire using only the Mace and Shield Glasses. The problem is the remaining resist after the glasses need to be:
45/85/60/60/65 That would mean each piece will need to be:
9/17/12/12/13

So, what I was attempting to do was create all 5 remaining armor pieces to:
x/x/12/12/13 so I would only have to imbue fire resist on all 5 pieces and physical only on 1 or 2, thus freeing up 3 or 4 other mods per piece.

Since I'll have to imbue fire resist no matter what I was hoping to get it to 4% so that I could get cold, poison and energy to max without having to imbue them.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am enhancing with barbed after I create the pieces. So I need to make 5 to 10 of each with the right resist to overcome the breakage.

A

a gargish zombie

If you are looking for any piece with the resist you want let me know and I will put them away for you. mostly I am doing Skirts, Female Leather Armor, Leather Gorget, Sleeves and Gloves.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*Caution: Math Ahead* :redx:

The random number generator is not messed up. The reason this is so hard to accomplish is because of probability. You desire each (of the +20) random resists to fall in a specific place, to result in a specific piece of armor. Each random resist point has an equal chance of being one of the following: Phys/Fire/Cold/Poison/Energy. That means the probability of the any one specific resist is 0.2. Here is where the "hard" starts. You have to do that 20 (GM Exceptional Bonus +15, GM Armslore +5) times. That ends up being 0.2 multiplied by itself twenty times over: (0.2)^20. That calculates out to being 0.00000000000001048576, which is the probability that the armor comes out to the specific set of resists you want. This is really tiny. Your 1200 attempts are not close to a significant sample size to put any blame on the RNG.

You may want to rethink your approach. What exactly did you intend to do with these specific resists? My guess is further Imbuing.

Stayin Alive,

BG

A

a gargish zombie

I am going to have to disagree with you math on this one. Reason being, I have crafted over 10K items now and I have no trouble getting base resist on 2 of the 5 about 5% of the time. It just has yet to fall on Physical and Fire. According to your math I would get what I desire 1 out of every 200k to 300k attempts.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh so you don't need regular regular leather you could use horned or barbed? I have a few chests of those I could look through. The only reason I thought you chose regular leather is to enhance with spined otherwise I use the special material to get improved resistances without the enhance part. OR, are you planning on imbuing fire up to max and then enhancing with horned/barbed? I think on the last necro suit I made from horned to get the bonus to fire and didn't imbue any on fire resist.

-Lorax

A

a gargish zombie

I am trying to conserve my barbed leather. Thus only enhancing the pieces that end up close to what I need.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am trying to conserve my barbed leather. Thus only enhancing the pieces that end up close to what I need.
Then you are going to find the perfect piece after lots of work and it will break. Unless you are trying to make fire resist pieces at 21 I would reconsider.

-Lorax

A

a gargish zombie

LOL! True, I have broken most all of the items that I have tried to enhance. But when you want something exact then you have to keep working at it. When I am done the suit will be worth a ton of gold just for the time put into it!

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL! True, I have broken most all of the items that I have tried to enhance. But when you want something exact then you have to keep working at it. When I am done the suit will be worth a ton of gold just for the time put into it!
No non-crafter buyer knows about time. The only ones that know about time into a suit are the crafters and they make their own. You could easily get all 5 pieces with 16 or more fire resist using horned and not have to imbue at all and you would have possibly in the 90's for fire resist with no imbues.

-Lorax

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I am trying to build a suit for my Sampire using only the Mace and Shield Glasses. The problem is the remaining resist after the glasses need to be:
45/85/60/60/65 That would mean each piece will need to be:
9/17/12/12/13

So, what I was attempting to do was create all 5 remaining armor pieces to:
x/x/12/12/13 so I would only have to imbue fire resist on all 5 pieces and physical only on 1 or 2, thus freeing up 3 or 4 other mods per piece.

Since I'll have to imbue fire resist no matter what I was hoping to get it to 4% so that I could get cold, poison and energy to max without having to imbue them.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am enhancing with barbed after I create the pieces. So I need to make 5 to 10 of each with the right resist to overcome the breakage.

You'd be far better off trying to craft the pieces with barb leather to start.

They don't need to be perfectly x/x/12/12/13 Some might be x/x/10/14/12 and some x/x/13/10/10 as long as they all add up to the same.

Craft ones that look close and then put it together to add up correctly.

And don't get your panties in a bunch if you are at 69 or 70 resist - its close enought to not make a difference.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am going to have to disagree with you math on this one. Reason being, I have crafted over 10K items now and I have no trouble getting base resist on 2 of the 5 about 5% of the time. It just has yet to fall on Physical and Fire. According to your math I would get what I desire 1 out of every 200k to 300k attempts.
That calculation is for getting any one piece of armor with all five resists at specific values. It is by far the least probable result for crafting any armor piece. If you are only concerned with 2 resists, then that drastically changes the probability of success. You will be more successful crafting pieces with ANY two resists remaining at their base value (notice the difference between ANY and Specific, that is any two randomly determined resists not necessarily the ones you desire). The Probability of getting any two resists to remain at their base value = (0.6)^20 = 0.0000365. This is much more favorable than if you are going for a specific result.

It looks as if Lorax_Pacific is helping you out with alternative approaches, which is good you found some advice on Imbuing. I have not dived too deep into imbuing a whole suit, since it is time consuming and expensive. Are you just crafting and recycling the armor pieces? I have tried a similar thing to what you are doing with tricorne hats (tried to get one without physical resist). I did this while filling BODs, as to not let the material go to waste.

Stayin Alive,

BG

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was trying this and i ended up having a better chance at every resist being 7s. 7/7/7/7/7 lol

i think armor crafting has some code in it to try to balance the resists.
while it is possible to make a piece that has alot of your armslore bonus on a certain resist, its not common.

ive gotten a few that had 14 on one resist.. i think that is as high as it goes.

D

Diggity

I agree with the suggestion to reconsider your approach. I also wanted to make a 5 piece suit to go with the Mace and Shield glasses. Also for a sampire.

The approach I took was that I would imbue all 5 pieces with fire resists to get the min 95 total needed for vamp form. So I made barb leather pieces looking for 5 fire resist. This also maximizes applying the arms lore and except bonus to the other resists, minimizing the number of imbues needed for those. Since I was only looking for pieces with 5 fire resist, this was not too difficult to do. It may also be more efficient use of barb leather as you won't lose any trying to enhance. The big advantage for me was that I can powder up to 255 without risking losing any powder charges to enhance breakage.

I was able to make a 70/103/70/72/75 suit using 7 imbues for resists, leaving 18 imbues for other mods.

A

a gargish zombie

Diggity,
I am using the same approach I am just making them with regular leather and enhancing with barbed thus using only about 10% barbed leather. Yes, things break a lot but I have made 3 pieces so far and only used 500 barbed leather.

D

Diggity

Diggity,
I am using the same approach I am just making them with regular leather and enhancing with barbed thus using only about 10% barbed leather. Yes, things break a lot but I have made 3 pieces so far and only used 500 barbed leather.
Ok, I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

Even so, I just used 700 barb leather, recycling anything where fire wasn't 5 or 6. Ended up with 16 pieces.

Selecting the 5 that combine best as a set with Mace and shields:

M/S 25/10/10/10/10
gorg 10/5/8/11/13
tunic 10/6/10/9/12
sleeves 8/6/9/12/12
legs 8/6/7/10/16
gloves 10/5/16/7/9

Need 7 resist imbues:
5 fire resist imbues (to 17 or 19) gives 95-105 fire
1 cold resist on legs or gorg - need to add 10 for 70 cold
1 poison resist on gloves - need to add 11 for 70 poison

gives 71-105-70-70-72 with 18 imbue slots open.

I think the key to this method is that you end up with several pieces that have 5 or 6 fire at each armor slot. Once you have all pieces made, you can mix and match to get to the resists you want. Plus you will have leftover pieces you can use for your next suit build.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Man is this frustrating! I am trying to craft regular leather armor pieces with the following resist:

3/4/10/9/9 or 2/5/10/9/9

Both are theoretically possible. I have 100 Armslore and 106.1 Tailor skill. I can get the minimum resist to show up anywhere but on fire multiple times. But out of 1200 or so attempts I got fire at 4% maybe 5 times so far. Why is this so hard? Is the RNG that messed up?
Trying to get all 5 resists at exact numbers you want is really difficult. I understand you want to reduce the wasted point in phys/fire to 1 or less. But you might want to settle for something with a bit more waste.

I would suggest crafting a batch of 100 of each part, then keeping those with 3/5/x/x/x. Ignore the other 3 resists first, much easier. Then when you are done, mix and match 5 pieces by compensating for the weaker ones.

eg If you have 2 pieces with 7 energy, you compensate with 3 other pieces with an average of 11 energy resist.

Note: From experience, the higher 1 type of base resist is, (fire for leather armour), the higher chance that it'll get a boost.

A

a gargish zombie

O.K. I get what all of you are saying. Maybe I am just crazy but I am trying to create the perfect suit for my Sampire. I am not trying to create the almost nearly perfect suit. I would LOVE to make it so that I have 20 imbuable slots after imbuing the poison resist. I would be happy just to get 9/5/x/x/x on enough pieces to mix and match them to get what I need. However, it seems that getting 9/5/x/x/x or even 8/5/x/x/x is HIGHLY unlikely. After the 30k or so pieces (using both reg leather and enhancing or using barbed leather) I have 3 items that are 9/5/x/x/x and 2 pieces that are 8/5/x/x/x I guess I shall keep at it until I get what I want.

D

Diggity

Pretty sure you won’t be able to get by with only 5 resist imbues if you are shooting for perfect 70-95-70-70-70 resists (375 total). Even 19 imbues besides resists is a stretch. 18 is fairly easy to do.

Enhanced exceptional barb has 47 resists. 5 pieces that is 235. Plus 60 for glasses brings theoretical max total to 295. So to get to the 375 resist total, you need to add 80 resists. Even if you can get max 15 increase resist imbues and your resists fall in exactly the right places, you will still need 6 imbues for resists. And even only 6 imbues is very unlikely if you enhance before imbuing. You will for sure lose min 5 resists to exceptional bonus and likely lose additional resists to material bonuses. Enhancing after imbuing will avoid those types of losses, but the costs due to breakage in this case are orders of magnitude above what you are experiencing now.

One other thing you can try is to make the remaining 2 pieces with total of 18 physical and 28 fire resists (or 14/26 if you use leather and will enhance with barb). With the 3 pieces you have, you will only have to imbue 3 fire resists to get to 70-95-x-x-x.

The other thing to keep in mind is that many of the other mods you will want to add – MR, stat increase, LMC – are weighted 1.1. So in order to max these, you will have to “borrow” some intensity from some other imbues. That is partly why I go with the 7 imbues on resists. It lets me use more 100% intensity MR/Stat increase/LMC imbues.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The sampire your making this suit for is human right? And you have meditation and need the medable leather? There are some further improvements over what your doing if you are an elf or don't need to meditate.

-Lorax

A

a gargish zombie

O.K. I gave up on perfection and decided to go ahead and use Earrings of Protection and Snake Skin Boots to make up a little bit on it. Here is what I came up with:

25/10/10/10/10 Mace and Shield
9/17/9/14/10 Barbed Leather Gorget (1 imbue fire to 17)
11/17/16/9/13 Barbed Leather Bustier (2 imbue fire to 17 cold to 16)
9/17/8/12/13 Barbed Leather Sleeves (1 imbue fire to 17)
8/17/17/9/17 Barbed Leather Gloves (2 imbue fire and cold to 17)
8/17/10/12/12 Barbed Leather Skirt (1 imbue fire to 17)
0/0/0/2/0 Earrings of protection Poison
0/0/0/2/0 Snake Skin Boots

70/70/70/70/75 Total Resist with 18 Imbue slots left. None of the resist imbues were 100% intensity so I should be able to get close to 100% intensity on all of the additional imbue slots. Now to decide what all I want on my suit. BTW- I got lucky on the gloves and got 17 Energy resist that did not count toward intensity or imbue!

Thanks for all the suggestions! This suit just cleared up 4 slots on my jewels too so that will be most helpful!

A

a gargish zombie

The sampire your making this suit for is human right? And you have meditation and need the medable leather? There are some further improvements over what your doing if you are an elf or don't need to meditate.

-Lorax
Female Elf Sampire with no med. I know I could have used non-medable pieces but I wanted to be stylish!

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice suit. Let us know how it ends up when you are done.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Zombie,

I do a quick run down to white wyrms and collect about 500 barbed hides. That seems to always be enough to craft some perfect imbuable pieces. I build my whole suit in Excel first so I can see what resists I need to imbue and which ones I need to depend on the originally crafted resist. Like previously mentioned, I look for pieces where two resists (not fire) equal 28-30. Those are the pieces I keep. I usually imbue 3 resists on a piece, and then for the other two mods I add Stamina Increase and Hit Point Increase. Once my full suit maxes out Hit Point Increase at 25, I start adding Mana Increase.

Anyways, that is how I built my first few Sampire suits. I recently switched to 3 carpentered armor pieces using Heartwood. I keep the ones with 10 DI each. This allows me to use exceptional weapons with very low DI thus saving intensity to max out leech mods and still fit in a slayer. It also gives me the option of getting 100 DI without any DI on the weapon. This means I can actually use some of the nice looted weapons you find (like the 100% fire, cold, energy, etc.) and can then put five mods on them not including DI. For my sampire, this is SSI, HML, HSL, Slayer, and then a free slot. I usually use HLA but for some situations Hit Spell Area or Hit Spell work well.

-OBSIDIAN-