• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Making lots of gold - legally

Frodo Baggins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I always seem to be out of gold and I am going to concentrate all my efforts to enhance my bank account over the next while.
Any suggestions on the best ways to make lots of gold? I have a variety of characters just need some ideas
thanks in advance!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Kissing booth? I've always had luck with that.

If that doesn't work, I recommend the SA mini-champs. With the right template, it is very easy to solo every mini-champ without coming up for air. My favorite is the necro/mage/tamer with cu, but sampire, bard, and a several other templates work, too. The higher end creatures, especially, drop a considerable amount of gold, so bring a bag of sending with you. Your real money maker, however, will be the resources: essences, demon claws, goblin blood, etc. Lastly, you will occasionally get artifact drops. I've received two breastplates of the berserker, which sell for millions.

The only other thing you'll need is a vendor to sell the essences. That's how I make money, anyway.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Are you one of the game billionaires, Syrus? Just wondering if your solution is good enough for that. I already see hundreds of players selling imbuing ingredients. And I see lots and lots of billionaires in game.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Only billionaires are allowed to comment? I didn't recall reading this in the OP's post.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I always seem to be out of gold and I am going to concentrate all my efforts to enhance my bank account over the next while.
Any suggestions on the best ways to make lots of gold? I have a variety of characters just need some ideas
thanks in advance!
I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I have worked a few of the mini-champs. First I looked at the stalls in Magincia and found whether any were buying essence, and if yes, for how much. One was buying essence of order at 50k per, so I went and worked that spawn. Best one I got made me just over 42k off the spawn, just over 10k from handing in the ancient tome I got off a lava elemental to Axem the Curator in the Ter Mur museum and 550k for the 11 essence I got from the spawn when I sold them to the Magincia stall.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Only billionaires are allowed to comment? I didn't recall reading this in the OP's post.
mh Mr. Syrus, I am not a native speaker, what sounded rude to you, was not meant in that way. I didn't mean any offense. Just wanted to know how to categorize you. Frodo Baggins asked for "lots of gold", so that sounded like "billions of gold" to me, not "millions" or "dozens of millions". In UO today nowadays. But still no offense meant, just wanted to know if you are one of them - because: I have yet to meet one of the billionaires who share their knowledge - their 'real' knowledge, not what is already commonly known (how to make 200k per hour or so). You shared your knowledge, this showed compassion and love for your people. I am still waiting for the billionaires to tell the people how to make 'real' money. But I somehow think they won't share their knowledge, will they.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mh Mr. Syrus, I am not a native speaker, what sounded rude to you, was not meant in that way. I didn't mean any offense. Just wanted to know how to categorize you. Frodo Baggins asked for "lots of gold", so that sounded like "billions of gold" to me, not "millions" or "dozens of millions". In UO today nowadays. But still no offense meant, just wanted to know if you are one of them - because: I have yet to meet one of the billionaires who share their knowledge - their 'real' knowledge, not what is already commonly known (how to make 200k per hour or so). You shared your knowledge, this showed compassion and love for your people. I am still waiting for the billionaires to tell the people how to make 'real' money. But I somehow think they won't share their knowledge, will they.
You are talking about the people who attend all the EM events and then sell the EM items for 100's of millions to suckers with more money than sense.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You are talking about the people who attend all the EM events and then sell the EM items for 100's of millions to suckers with more money than sense.
Somehow I was thinking more about people that I happen to know who seem to dish out 100-500 millions each time they don't get EM items because they were too slow or were not there. So they have to buy from the other attendees. They shell out the x00 millions like it was nothing. I know one player who happens to be a very nice person. Very community oriented, a valueable and highly appreciated member of the shard's community. Sometimes the billionaires name theirselves 'traders' - and to some extent I guess they are right, that being a trader can mean dealing with hundreds of millions or even billions of gold coins. As for some of them... I have yet to see them sell anything to other players, though... :-D They don't spam General Chat, their Luna properties have no vendors... they already got everything and do nothing but buy more and more, filling castles with rares and EM items. Admittedly, they might be a distinct minority, even among the billionaires. But then again, many billionaires are playing in a way which is high above my abilities and beyond my knowledge. And I wonder if it has *anything* to do with what commoners like me would call 'normal game play' as depicted by Syrus.

Frodo Baggins

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i guess i was asking for a way to make a dozen million - didn't realize there were people with billions. Maybe I should just ask for a loan :)
So which is the easiest mini-champ spawn to start off with?

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
i guess i was asking for a way to make a dozen million - didn't realize there were people with billions. Maybe I should just ask for a loan :)
So which is the easiest mini-champ spawn to start off with?
Goblins IMHO. Couldn't find a proper link on Stratics, completely impossible, so I hope this link won't get deleted:
Mini-Champs - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia
All Stratics links found on google are transferred to a page saying "outdated, new page here, follow the link" - and then you are at the Stratics UO front page or the forums' front page, which both don't help at all. Very strange.

RazicGL

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
once you have done the gobbo mini spawn ( the 2 renowned spawn at the same time which is nice) a few dozen times you may want to progress to the cavern of the discarded... while the pesky rats there hit harder than the little grey men they drop good loot, a wide pread of imbue ingreds and although it takes a few mins to kill the champ the overall spawns will net you a tidy proffit... if you are a sampire and want to be looting so much gold you dont know what to do then get suited up, if you use swords use a double axe, if you use fencing use Kama, macing use a black staff.... head to the painted caves... Trog's spawn fast, really fast and there are tons of them, just stand there and whirlwind them to bits. I have heard people say that they make like 500k per hour doing this but best I have done is 350k in an hour.

between the 2 I would say trogs are easier but when you consider the ingreds ect you get doing the mini spawns you will make the most gold doing the mini champs.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
buy from origin store, sell for gold in game....on a good day you make 700 Mil...thats enough for never ever loot gold anymore from any critters...
on the other hand, you pay real $$$ to get gold....well...

J

Joey Porter

buy from origin store, sell for gold in game....on a good day you make 700 Mil...thats enough for never ever loot gold anymore from any critters...
on the other hand, you pay real $$$ to get gold....well...
Killing dragon fairies in SA is also very good for this.

Lots of spawn, they are not super agressive so you can take them out 1 by 1 and they drop 1400-1600 gold.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can make a fair bit of gold selling seeds of Renewal. All you need is an alchemist and an hour or less a day. I'm fairly old & slow. :)

I have eighteen 20 plant grass strips set up and harvest one strip a day for 160 seeds of which 1 to 5 percent will be Seeds of Renewal and sell them in batches of 10. I typically get 10 seeds every two days and the 10 seeds are currently selling for 750,000 on Chessie.

It means making potions with an alchemist and tending 360 plants each and every day but if the Seeds are selling, it adds up quickly.

Figure 15 sets of 10 Seeds of Renewal each month sold at 500,000 gold per set, will make you 7 1/2 million gold once sold. Selling at 500,000 each may well have higher priced vendors buying your stock to sell themselves and get gold into your bankbox even faster.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've made a good bit of cash the last few days buying boards and leather at the new mag stalls, walking about 6 steps then selling back to another stall and making double my money :)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've made a good bit of cash the last few days buying boards and leather at the new mag stalls, walking about 6 steps then selling back to another stall and making double my money :)
I did something similar one time. Somebody had driven the price on the Luna bottle venders through the roof. I took my strongest character with his beetle and began buying 2000 bottles for 5 -8 gold each in other towns and sold them to the Luna bottle vendors until the price they would pay came down close to what the other towns were charging for the bottles. It took an afternoon but I cleared something like 1.2 million profit. :)

I had just stopped in to buy some regeants for gardening potions... <g>

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Best advise I can give you at this time is.. grind, grind, and grind. Hit those graverobbers until you get a full set of those statues, then do it again. Then grind away at the ingreds needed to cure the gargs (upcoming) and snag the sleeves. If the statues don't sell right away they will a year after the arc stops. Sleeves should sell nicely off the bat tho.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take a stealther and go around to champ spawns, all the gold that drops on the ground at the end, bring a bag of sending.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Nusair's the winner in this discussion - Not only can you do this at fel champs, if you can solo any of the champs (sampires and bard/tamers are good for this) the Ilshenar champs are good targets as well, and relatively close to rez spots if things go downhill.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something to ponder:

How much gold can you farm in an hour vs how much money you take home for an hour at work and just buying gold with it.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Something to ponder:

How much gold can you farm in an hour vs how much money you take home for an hour at work and just buying gold with it.
I can farm ~600k or more an hour, not including artifact drops, pinks and/or scrolls.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Nusair's the winner in this discussion - Not only can you do this at fel champs, if you can solo any of the champs (sampires and bard/tamers are good for this) the Ilshenar champs are good targets as well, and relatively close to rez spots if things go downhill.
You should note that picking gold from the floor requires a shard where someone is doing the champion dance :) Aside from that, I guess it is a nice idea.

As for champions I personally have been unable to convince my sampire to do solo a champion. I only tried the easiest, Baracoon: The slimes seem to smelt my weapons and the ratman mages killed me. I can conclude that with a little more concentrated work it could be well survivable, yet not so desirable for some people who are rather 'casual players' who don't want to concentrate fully on a game for 15-60 minutes.

I did the spawn and champion all solo once with my disco tamer - and I hated it. Lacking area damage it took me well over an hour... that was not fun at all. I tried again with my mystic mage (with or without discordance, I don't remember) - but I didn't like both area damage spells of mysticism because of their small radius of effect.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You should note that picking gold from the floor requires a shard where someone is doing the champion dance :) Aside from that, I guess it is a nice idea.

As for champions I personally have been unable to convince my sampire to do solo a champion. I only tried the easiest, Baracoon: The slimes seem to smelt my weapons and the ratman mages killed me. I can conclude that with a little more concentrated work it could be well survivable, yet not so desirable for some people who are rather 'casual players' who don't want to concentrate fully on a game for 15-60 minutes.

I did the spawn and champion all solo once with my disco tamer - and I hated it. Lacking area damage it took me well over an hour... that was not fun at all. I tried again with my mystic mage (with or without discordance, I don't remember) - but I didn't like both area damage spells of mysticism because of their small radius of effect.
I can do a rat spawn in like 20-30 minutes or so.

For the slimes, you need to have spell channeling on your weapon, their acid won't damage a weapon with spell channeling on it. Also, make sure you don't have the conjurer's trinket equiped when doing the rat spawn. It's painful- just sayin.

When on Baracoon use an AI weapon and momentum strike when he summons help. Pop evasion if you have parry.

Evasion also helps with the rat mages, much like me in the beginning you are probably dying to mana vamp. You can get away with dropping like anatomy for magic resist on this spawn if you need to. Or just take it a little slower on the 3rd level of the spawn.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I can do a rat spawn in like 20-30 minutes or so.
I just tried it again and succeeded. I think it took me 20-30 minutes, too. Didn't watch the clock, though.

For the slimes, you need to have spell channeling on your weapon, their acid won't damage a weapon with spell channeling on it.
Worked very well! A pity I could not add Area Damage to the weapon because of this (I crafted a kama for the Whirlwind).

Also, make sure you don't have the conjurer's trinket equiped when doing the rat spawn. It's painful- just sayin.
No problem, I don't have a trinket.

When on Baracoon use an AI weapon and momentum strike when he summons help. Pop evasion if you have parry.

Evasion also helps with the rat mages, much like me in the beginning you are probably dying to mana vamp. You can get away with dropping like anatomy for magic resist on this spawn if you need to. Or just take it a little slower on the 3rd level of the spawn.
I don't have enough parry for it to be useful, I think. And in the heat of the battle I never thought about it. But, this time I never died, it seemed really easy.

For those who are interested:

• Ilshenar
  • 300125 gold coins
  • Gauntlets Of Anger [Replica]
  • 0.4 Blacksmithing Scroll Of Transcendence

Etrigran

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Morning,
For an hour I took the role of merchant seriously. I bought empty bottles. And sold. Luna was not the best place on Chessy to sell.
My price point was to buy from 5-7 gp each. Oh and it can be done on both facets :), best selling price was in Tram. Beleive the price per bottles I got went from 32-27 GP. So it can be done.

Time 1 hour
Starting GP (not in check form) 76,105
Ending GP 185,355

More than double. Setting up with research took the longest. I'm going to see if every morning this week before work I can buy the bottles at this price point. And resell next Sunday. We'll see how that goes.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Also check Doom - if it's been active, and bandage, bolt and arrow prices are in the double digits (especially if they are in the 30+ range), you can make back the cost of buying a gold skull and then some by cutting up cloth for bandages (especially if you have a bod runner tailor with obscene cloth from cycling bods), farming arrows off centaurs (or bolts off meer captains - or both off changelings), hopping over to the gauntlet, and selling down the price of those 3 consumables at Nyx. The people doing the Gauntlet will thank you for it as well (Some people still want to have non-faction ornys, after all). A typical run allows you to take 20k items over to sell - 4k in the backpack, 16k in a ridden beetle. IF you can secure the beach long enough to get 2 packies over, that would be another 32k, but only worth the effort if the doom prices are 80+.

Cross over, run to nyx (keeping any of the pack animals alive is secondary - you just need to make sure to loot the packy corpses and drop the contents on the ground to come back for them), and start selling 500 at a time. Assuming that the items start selling back at 30 each, 20k works out to a minimum of 410k if you sell just 1 item, about 450k if you sell 7k of two items each, 6k of the other. If the prices are higher, profits get even greater.

And, don't worry about hauling the gold out - if you are overweight when you sell, the gold gets sent to your bank as a check - of course, you'll need to have room in your bank for about 40 checks to land there (100 checks if you manage to get a beetle & 2 packys in).

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Carry the arrows in the quiver that reduces the weight 50%... between a player and bug/pack animals, you can carry a LOT of arrows that way.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thing is... there are lots of things you can do in UO for gold. For me, I find things I am in the mood for and go for that. Sometimes I'll chop wood, other times I'll mine or fish and still others when I want to just kill as much as possible. While scripters have ruined a lot of the resource market, there is still gold to be had.

Just the other day, there were people running around covetous killing and not looting bodies. I got over 400 relic fragments from just looting corpses that went public.

Still, I think that champ spawns are the way to go, when comparing time and loot/possible loot. It only sucks when you get idiots there who screw up everything. Like with Cora, I've pretty much stopped doing Cora because of one idiot who thinks that just because she's in WoD range, that it's ok to WoD her at anytime, who cares if it ends up killing everyone else, as long as they get to WoD. And are too stupid to realize that waiting a fraction of a second that she dies faster and everyone still gets loot.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Thing is... there are lots of things you can do in UO for gold.
I guess this is true, but let's rethink your 600k gold per hour that you had mentioned - a number that probably not everyone will achieve, by the way. And let's talk about desire as UO has become a highly item centric game.
Desire: Dread War Horse. Price tag: 100 million gold coins.
I am not saying you *need* the horse - whatever that means. But you feel a true desire for that horse.
At 600k gold per hour you will play UO full time for a month. And you will probably soon feel hatred for the repetitive tasks that you have to do for 600k gold per hour. I suppose you have to be very concentrated to achieve that. If you don't play full time, it should take you well over one or two years saving up for the horse. After waiting for so long there will be a new price tag: 200 million gold coins.
I don't think 100 or even 200 million gold coins are unachievable, but I assume there are better ways than farming that yield you 600k gold per hour (or rather less for most of us). There are just a few among us like me who don't know about those "better ways", so if anyone wants to share, I bet a lot of players would be thankful. Playing full time just isn't an option! :D

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, at the risk of diverging off this thread....

Once you have a little gold, you can buy/sell artifacts to make money on the side as well....

But, you have to think why do those things cost that much? It's all the scripting/duping/RTM transactions that are the cause of that. When you are duping over 125 mil a day in gold, that adds up quick. Then you cause the prices to raise on everything, control the market, set the prices beyond what most normal people can accumulate and you have a market for your gold.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
but I assume there are better ways than farming that yield you 600k gold per hour (or rather less for most of us). There are just a few among us like me who don't know about those "better ways", so if anyone wants to share, I bet a lot of players would be thankful. Playing full time just isn't an option! :D
You can farm medusa for slither, peerless for crimsons, other high level things for artifact drops. Get 1 crimson drop, that's like ~20mil atm. Which if you really put the effort into it, popping between tram and fel to get keys, having 3-4 people doing the quest at the same time, or more- you can build up a lot of keys quick. For a while (I want to say like 6 months) I was with a group that was doing 20-40 Melisande's each morning.

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Very well then, NuSair. You taught me to solo the baracoon, maybe you'll also teach me to intelligently farm gold / artifacts / whatever so I can buy me a Dread War Horse. Thank you.

Esdejie

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi all. Interesting thread for anybody.
For my own: things differ according you want immediate gold or long term gold.
Gold for now will be now but will be less; i. e., go farming on a good spot, like faery drags in SA or Tomb of the kings (Ter Mur-side entrance of SA), or vasting done-by-other champs...
Gold for later is more but is later: that is all indirect gold, involving vendors or chat annoucements. For that you can farm rare and often needed imbuing regs (seed of renewal, abyssal cloth, crystalline balckrock, crystal shards...) or even farm certain arties by soloable bosses: slither by Medusa, crimson by Melisande or, easier: tangle by Navrey, tinker's legs by demons or faery drags, basilisk breastplate by ratmen...
Never forget: hasard will bring you your best sales, if you take time to read the general chat :)

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
make a stealth char and check champ spawns with a bag of sending. i know people that have picked up 1 mln per day. last week i grabbed about 1.5 mln over the course of the day while checking spawns. many pvp guilds dont bother picking up gold.

L

lancelot99

Just back myself (left just after ML) and have been hunting with the Mainstream pets (GD and CU Shide) which are ok but slow... i tried a bake and rune against swoops .... wow killed it so fast then another spawns straight away.... 2000-3000 gold per kill soon adds up like a money making machine!

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder that no one has mentioned ...
IDOCs can yield lots of gold. Same with x-sharding. (Buy stuff on a lesser populated shard and sell on another with higher population.) Though both need some effords before you get around with them. (Identifying rares at IDOCs, spotting out IDOCs, researching market prices on scrolls/artefacts etc)

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder that no one has mentioned ...
IDOCs can yield lots of gold. Same with x-sharding. (Buy stuff on a lesser populated shard and sell on another with higher population.) Though both need some effords before you get around with them. (Identifying rares at IDOCs, spotting out IDOCs, researching market prices on scrolls/artefacts etc)
Can IDOCs provide a steady income? Once in a while I got argued into looking for idocs. I never found one.
How common are they? Especially on lower populated shards one would have a hard time to finde one, I suppose...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Typically it's feast or famine with IDOCs - sometimes you can get lucky and score a rare item, or a lot of valuable ones. Other times you might end up with a book of cloth BODs (none of which will fit a CBD large). Really, it's a crapshoot.

My advice for them is that you're better off going for light weight, high-item-count, containers away from the crafting areas. If something really rare is locked down in plain sight, you'll be lucky if there aren't a half-dozen people trying to grab it, so the chance of being the one to get it is low.

The best IDOC I ever did was where I shoved a bunch of chests into my 2 packies and beetle (I was on my tailor doing a bod run at the time, and someone told me to come over because the house was about to drop). The chests had about 6-8 Ethys, 20+ vet reward monster statues (both statues and ethys up to 5th year), a dozen other vet rewards as deeds, and a bunch of other semi-rares (double exceptional stuff, a practice weapon, pre-AoS weapons & jewelry, etc.). Everyone else had concentrated on the heavy chests and the rares visible in the house, and I had little opposition. All told, the combined items effectively tripled my account's net value at the time, though very little of it ever got sold, instead allowing me to save vet reward slots for later things).