• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Major Problem! HELP!

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Before I start, let me say that I have already uninstalled and re-installed UO twice on my system and it did not fix this problem. I've never had it happen before and I'm hoping someone can help.

I cannot set macros, I cannot pull a skill out of my skill menu from my paperdoll, I get a fatal error and the game shuts down.

Also when I log out...to get back to the shard selection screen, I get this:

THEN when I click ok...the game shuts down.

HELP!

Last edited by a moderator:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
How would I do that? o_O I am a total noob when it comes to computer stuffs!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Note the full path that the error shows you. You need to find and unhide this folder.

2) Go to your C: drive, then navigate to this folder (or until as far a you can go)

3) This is how to show hidden folders for Windows 7 (Google for "show hidden folders windows XP" if you are using Windows XP):
  1. Open Folder Options by clicking the Start button
    , clicking Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options.
  2. Click the View tab.
  3. Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.
4) Now, right click the folder and select properties, then untick the "Hidden" checkbox

5) Repeat from step 2 until you reach the actual folder shown in the error message in step 1

If the issue is caused by hidden folders, this would unhide all the required folders and allow you to install.

Last edited:

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ok that's not working....like if I go to log out to get back to the character selection screen, change a macro or even look at my skills I get this fatal error:

could not create directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\C:\Users\xxxx(MY NAME)\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Legacy\Usesr Data/xxxx(ACCOUNT NAME)/Origin/xxxx(CHARACTER NAME)

I can go to the folder, in each character folder I have 6 items: chardata.mul desktop.uos macros2d Multicache.net skillgrp.mul and uo.cfg

:/ help....

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can you confirm that's the error message that you are getting? If so, I believe the extra "C:" is the problem:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\C:\Users\xxxx(MY NAME)\Documents\EA Games\Ultima Online Legacy\Usesr Data/xxxx(ACCOUNT NAME)/Origin/xxxx(CHARACTER NAME)

Not sure how the installer managed to accept a path listing the root folder "C:" drive twice.
Normally, the colon is not an allowed character for subfolders, maybe a glitch in a previous installation.

Try the following and see if it works:
1) Reboot
2) Do not start UO
3) Uninstall UO
4) Reboot once more
5) Reinstall UO, but this time, select to install it in another folder entirely instead of "C:\Program Files xxx", install it to something like "C:\Games\Ultima Online Classic"

If that works, you can delete the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Ultima Online Classic\C:" (or the folder above it if Windows give you an error).

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
http://i46.***********/2s67cs5.png
This is the error I am getting...when I either open my skill menu to pull one out, look at other skills, make a new macro or log out to the character selection screen I get this fatal error. :/ I will try following your instructions and see if that works :) Thanks!

Kayhynn

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Delete the desktop folder within Ultima Online and see if that fixes it

Ashtoll

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I am having the exact same problem. Just started after the roll back... All works fine in the EC. I did notice that the Charlie Brown tree and the Snow/Grass tiles we got were not showing up, so I used the UOPATCH exe to see if for some reason the patch wasn't going through. I, also, uninstalled and re-installed, but no good. One char doesnt even log in, others I can log in but when I log them out I get that same error.

Ashtoll

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I FIXED IT! Re-installed by changing the destination install directory to C:\Ultima Online... forget about the Program Files x86 stuff...