• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Magic Mastery on a pet

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
so in order to put Magic Mastery on a pet it has to have Magic.
but when you put Magic Mastery on that pet does that kill off the normal Magic skill?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
so in order to put Magic Mastery on a pet it has to have Magic.
but when you put Magic Mastery on that pet does that kill off the normal Magic skill?
You cannot add regular magery to a pet, you can only add magery mastery. Cost is 1501 training points unless the pet already has magery, in which case it only costs 1 training point. The pet continues to cast magery spells and will occasionally teleport and sometimes cast magic reflection.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
its a Bane Dragon i have, i put Magery Mastery on him then i stopped and was like..... oh crud is that gonna delete off his magic???

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I hope you put AI on first.

You chose Magery mastery. It will still do all the spells magery does and now it will do the mastery abilities.

It will now teleport when you don't want it to. There is something about Bless and Magery Mastery.

So no, you did not kill off any of it's magic skill.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

You chose Magery mastery. It will still do all the spells magery does and now it will do the mastery abilities.

It will now teleport when you don't want it to. There is something about Bless and Magery Mastery.

Just make sure you get your cook to make blackrock stew, or he will not do his AoE, 1 stew every 24 hours. The stew is not too hard to make. If you have a friend who is a cook, he will help you if he has done the quest. The quest is not a big deal, just you have to know how to get to the place in abyss etc. You need the stew for the Lethal AoE and also bonding, and loyalty. Have fun with the pet. These are cool..
I suspect that most of them can make Chiv spec, but you will not get to 120 tact, they do if you go 115-110 tact, use Khaelor's tools and spend the training points carefully.
Sadly, people are paying gobs of gold for the "upper banes" because they think only those can make Chiv spec.
In reality I suspec ALL can make good, functional Chiv/Ai.
Also it is true that as soon as you put Chiv on these, the market for them shrinks, as NO PVP player would want it, just PVM. Your build is actually spanning all markets, including PVP. Nice, if you ever want to sell. And these fully trained and 120'd sell VERY extremely well. Much more than dogs fully 120'd.(Ive seen at least 2 times as much if not 3).
As Pawain said, nice if you put AI on it, possibly also Goo Aoe, though it will take 100 points extra, and these don't have too many points.
Magery mastery is actually the entire magery spectrum of spells, plus a few more frequent ones like teleport.
They Do bless themselves a lot, and if they cast negative spells with reflection and they are getting hammered then ride the pet and move on, wait for the spell to wear off etc.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
its a Bane Dragon i have, i put Magery Mastery on him then i stopped and was like..... oh crud is that gonna delete off his magic???
You must put AI on it..Use Khaelor's tools, they are massively helpful for this especially because the training points are tight for these. On Khaelor's pet spec sheet, try Goo also. See if the points are enough. So Magery mastery, AI, then Goo if you want Goo. If you want Goo, you must put that first. I would take the pet to TC1 and spec it there first. You did not ruin the pet. Just careful where you put the points. Also this is a pet you want to 120 Wres. Probably want to 120 ALL except : Magery and even Eval. (unless you plan to sell it sometime).
With a little care about the resists, and some tweaks it should become a beast..

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
haha, well i guess my brain must have kicked in at some point because i put AI on him when i made him.
i had done this bane up a couple months ago then parked it and havnt used it.
then a guild mate took his and 120'd it and that got me thinking about mine and if the Magery Mastery may have messed him up.

so thats good then, everything is good.

ultima2005

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
What’s everyone’s preference between magery and MM? I have a PP AI/Magery mare I’m finishing and leaving a point in case I want to switch to MM.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Magery Mastery completely changes the pet's spellcasting AI. The pet will alternate between FS and E-Bolt casts, with Mind Blast replacing FS against highly Fire resistant foes (such as GDs). The pet will actively Teleport next to it's target. The pet will occasionally attempt a Death Ray channel, but this ends up being a waste of Mana if the pet is tanking, since any hit taken interrupts the channel, plus the pet stops meleeing during a Death Ray channel. When low on Mana, the pet will attempt to Mana Vampire mana back from the opponent (which fails against most high end opponents), and starts casting the lower level spells such as Lightning, Fireball, Harm, and Magic Arrow. The pet will also cast Magic Reflection which lowers it's Physical Resist, while raising it's Elemental Resists, and will also cast Bless on the opponent (yes, you read that right, it's bugged). Magery Mastery pets also love to switch targets on their own, and they have no AoE.

Sadly, the pet most suitable for Magery Mastery, the Serpentine Dragon, which has up to 1,030 INT (making for some pretty beefy Mind Blasts and mana regeneration rate), has such little STR that their magic potency still can't compensate for it, and a Magery Mastery Serpentine Dragon still ends up getting far out damaged by a Chiv+AI pet, even when the Serpentine Dragon is delivering 150 damage MBs to Greater Dragons. Magic damage simply doesn't compare to melee damage for pets.

Last edited:

Dantes

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Magery Mastery is great. I have built up two PP NM's with MM/AI already, sold one. They're good for PvP or PvM. Of course not the best for PvP, people like dismount/disarm/para for specials. But it can still hold it's own. Especially on a Bane. I built up a Chiv/AI Bane, wish I would have changed one or two things, but I'm always looking for another high intensity bane to build. I had a Chiv/AI PP NM for about 12 hours, didn't get to test it out too much. But I know Chiv/AI is what works well in PvM.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Magery Mastery completely changes the pet's spellcasting AI. The pet will alternate between FS and E-Bolt casts, with Mind Blast replacing FS against highly Fire resistant foes (such as GDs). The pet will actively Teleport next to it's target. The pet will occasionally attempt a Death Ray channel, but this ends up being a waste of Mana if the pet is tanking, since any hit taken interrupts the channel, plus the pet stops meleeing during a Death Ray channel. When low on Mana, the pet will attempt to Mana Vampire mana back from the opponent (which fails against most high end opponents), and starts casting the lower level spells such as Lightning, Fireball, Harm, and Magic Arrow. The pet will also cast Magic Reflection which lowers it's Physical Resist, while raising it's Elemental Resists, and will also cast Bless on the opponent (yes, you read that right, it's bugged). Magery Mastery pets also love to switch targets on their own, and they have no AoE.

Sadly, the pet most suitable for Magery Mastery, the Serpentine Dragon, which has up to 1,030 INT (making for some pretty beefy Mind Blasts and mana regeneration rate), has such little STR that their magic potency still can't compensate for it, and a Magery Mastery Serpentine Dragon still ends up getting far out damaged by a Chiv+AI pet, even when the Serpentine Dragon is delivering 150 damage MBs to Greater Dragons. Magic damage simply doesn't compare to melee damage for pets.
That's not a very positive review for Magery Mastery.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
That's not a very positive review for Magery Mastery.
It is a real review, the best at leat I've seen so far, and very much appreciated. There are positives and negatives in MM, you just got to know both. The "gimps" in MM do not always happen, just nice to know when they happen, so you can pull the pet off if in PvM. There is no "pulling" in PvP lol. I think his pet is going to be an awesome pet, and that it will have a great resale value if/when he wants to unload it..

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have a unicorn with magery mastery. I think it does higher damage than regular magery, although to be clear I have no hard test numbers, just in my experience it seems to use flamestrike and ebolt more. I've never seen or noticed it cast bless on a mob. It does teleport once in awhile, which is OK with me. I have seen it cast magic reflection before, doesn't seem to do it very often and in some cases it's the appropriate thing to do.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used to have 3 of the Banes and when the taming update hit I jumped in and trained one up. That one hit the vanishing pet bug and I have been slow to train the remaining 2. I have just started leveling up one of them and have been trying to figure out what to do. here are the current stats. I was thinking magery mastery but then not sure what else. Any helpful things of what to do or not to do would be great. bane dragon.PNG

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I used to have 3 of the Banes and when the taming update hit I jumped in and trained one up. That one hit the vanishing pet bug and I have been slow to train the remaining 2. I have just started leveling up one of them and have been trying to figure out what to do. here are the current stats. I was thinking magery mastery but then not sure what else. Any helpful things of what to do or not to do would be great. View attachment 96013
Looks like you can make a Chiv/AI out of him. But before you do anything, you need to play with the numbers in the CAH website. If you want Chiv/AI for decent PVM damage pet, you not be able to 120 all, but you may try. Also : If Chiv --> Do not scroll Magery or Eval, as pet will never use them (Sry but Ive seen Chiv/AI banes with magery /Eval scrolled and just could not believe it).
Two points : 1> CAH it first as mentioned, then post the proposed picture here with what your plan is. Get opinions. This is the most critical point.
2> Regardless of the above, GO TO TC1 and move the pet there and spec it there with the above numbers, and see how all will fit.
3> Aw well this is extra bonus : Such pet you want to 120 as much as possible (as long as you have points left). Like said above, you may have to gimp something. (i.e. Tactics 115 etc. or something else) if there are not enough points. You may want to make few copied to TC1 and have several tries on it before you commit to your home shard.
** Finally careful who you listen to in-game. I would ask all pertinent info here on Tamers forum Stratics. People are honest, and theyll go out of their way to help you most of the time.
Good luck with your banes I hear they make good pets now days!

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been messing with the CAH planner and will post my first rough draft. Currently my next bane has reached the next level and is just waiting for me to pull the trigger on what to add. Thanks for the input