• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mage Weapon vs Spell Book

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
How many of you run with a mage weapon day to day, and swap in a slayer spell book when doing PVM. How does losing possibly 5DCI effect you in PvM ?

Example, if I swap my weapon for a slayer spell book, to go do a spawn and lose 5% dci so I effectively have 40 DCI, do you suspect that would cause me survivability problems with the spawn ( not so much the boss, I don't get hit much when on my caster)?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I swap to a slayer book for PvM.

Last edited:

Crimson Hawk Moth

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the response. One last question, what about the loss of your weapon skill ? Do you feel this is a major hindrance in pvm ? ( I am trying to decide if I want to put wrestling back on my character)

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you lose a lot of defense, but that may not matter. it depends on your style of play.
imo, slayer spellbooks let you do so much more damage in pvm that i feel the offense is
worth the defensive sacrifice. (i tend to use a pet or summons as a shield so i'm not getting
targeted as often and don't miss the defense). but those won't help at all in a pvm/pvp
setting with the possibility of raids.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
If you unequip your Mage Weapon you have 0 melee defence and nothing to have DCI extend off of in the first place. So even getting DCI back to 45 makes no difference.

But to answer the first question, yes, I equip last between slayers/wep as needed.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you unequip your Mage Weapon you have 0 melee defence and nothing to have DCI extend off of in the first place. So even getting DCI back to 45 makes no difference.
This... DCI is useless without the mage weapon (or wrestling).

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Running a mage weapon in today's PvP is just plain stupid. Stupid in the sense that you can be disarm splintered then killed in multiple mele combinations. Archers swinging at 1.25 will mow you down before you can even re-equip. It has caused the general yew gate pvp to turn into who can run faster due to their connections. Add on top of that the simple fact that EC runs faster than CC and you have distinct advantages/disadvantages. Spawns and Chokes are a different story, you can fend fairly well but with HLD and a magical short you still can get eaten alive extremely fast. My mages now almost exclusively run anatomy/eval as either a stand alone or in conjunction with parry.

PvM it shouldn't matter at all because you are not going to sit there and tank the mob(s). So unequipping your mage weapon and losing all DCI to gain a slayer or SDI shouldn't effect you at all. Just kite around the mob(s).

Aragoni

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Technical Book = 1h
Shield = 1h
and mage weapon 1h too but you can only hold 1h mage weapon in combination white shield and not an mage weapon as bokuto together white an book .......

Thats not logic !
I want hold an slayer book white my bokuto !!

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On a human character with 120 eval you have the equivalent block chance of 80.0 skill with a book equipped.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In PvM Mages run away like a school child and scream.....J/K
As a PvM mage it's stick and move. Cast a few spells and move. Why get hit if you can keep distance between you and the Mob.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
For PvM I only time I use a mage wep is when I am wearing my luck suit *shrugs* and then I only use it just before the critter dies and when I open the corpse to check the loot. If it's a corpse I don't care to check I just run with the slayer book in hand.

For PvP? LMAO... that ain't me. Fingers are too slow for that junk these days.

Of course with all the slayer books you have out there now my dang pack is getting slap FULL... maybe the will create a spellbook binder one day or something sheshhh

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can you link this source?
From Uoguide.com

Evaluating Intelligence - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Defensive Ability
When combined with Anatomy, these two skills can be used to replace Wrestling or other melee skills for defense. Anatomy and Evaluate Intelligence need to add up to 220 to have the equivalent of 120 melee defensive ability. The result of the following formula is capped at 120, so having 120 in both skills does not give a greater benefit.

• Formula: ( Evaluating Intelligence + Anatomy + 20 ) / 2
Human toon = ( 20 anatomy + 120 eval + 20 ) / 2 = 80.0

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
From Uoguide.com

Evaluating Intelligence - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Defensive Ability
When combined with Anatomy, these two skills can be used to replace Wrestling or other melee skills for defense. Anatomy and Evaluate Intelligence need to add up to 220 to have the equivalent of 120 melee defensive ability. The result of the following formula is capped at 120, so having 120 in both skills does not give a greater benefit.

• Formula: ( Evaluating Intelligence + Anatomy + 20 ) / 2
Human toon = ( 20 anatomy + 120 eval + 20 ) / 2 = 80.0

But what takes precedent with JoAT? Wrestle or the Eval/anat combo? If it were wrestle you would have a 100% chance to get hit opposed to the 57% from the 80 defensive skill.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
The +20 in the formula comes after the /2, making it 90, IF the JOAT Anatomy works at all, which imo it doesn't.

The purpose of having melee defense on a Mage, aside from lack of interruption is also in combination with other skills. For example it's a lot easier to lead tame with melee defense than without it. You don't need to worry too much about failing Provoke attempts. So you don't get interrupted casting Wither. So you don't get killed by monsters that are faster than you such as Parragons when on foot etc.

It's easy to see the difference with/without melee defense, you just need to jump on TC go to an Ilsh spawn and get everything on you, then after you've a good idea of how much you get hit, drop the melee defense and then see how much you get hit.

As you can instantly swap between Mage Weapons/Spellbooks in either client there's not much reason not to have it.

Last edited: