• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

mage template Q's

Annonymous User

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excuse me if these numbers are not totaly correct but I am at work and can not look at exactly what my template is.

I have been away for a while so this template might be old and not even effective.

I would like any advice and pointers that anyone would be willing to provide me on my template.

swords 110
magery 110
eval 110
med 100
inscript 100
tactics 70
focus 15
resist 110

Will this template work for pvp ?

R

RichDC

Kinda, want to drop that focus though and another 5 points from somewhere else to hit 90 tactics (perform both specials).

Youll lose ground on Dexxers, youll lose ground on mages.

But i always have like these temps, solid attack, fairly solid defence and can work in a group.

Annonymous User

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
something I forgot to mention is. I normally run with a spell channeling cleaver is my weapon. I have a gm poisoner on another character.

The reason for this thread last night I took this toon to yew with a few guildies.

This guy keep jumping off his faction horse and would own me in about 2 maybe 3 seconds. I keep thinking I am doing something drastically wrong, or my template is gimp.

R

RichDC

Well as i said, you will lose ground to the pure templates.

The lack of parry means dexxers will probably chew you up, and the low resist/eval magery will mean mages should...make short work of you, i see these templates as more support for a decent group (its a trade of damge vs survivability)

mind you im no l33t pvper so dont take my words as gospel

R

RichDC

I hope thats not what im saying...ive just made one myself!!!

Ive gone for the bushido route myself but near enough the same...

I think its about tactics, im not saying its useless...Im more saying that it has its disadvantages over the pure temp routes...all that means(i hope) is that its that little bit harder and more strategic to play.

Annonymous User

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I have not had much luck with it, but that might be due to my skill level as well. I want to get rid of the tactics, but then I wont have infectious strike will I ? The main problems I seem to have is people out Damage me by far, and I never seem to have enough mana to stay in the game long.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're going to go tank mage drop the scribe, drop the focus, and raise everything else.

Keep a mortal, bleed, conc blow, and disarm weapon.

I used to like the tank mages, but you tend to sacrifice other mods when trying to fit 45 HCI in your suit. When your specs land in between spells they are still effective just tougher to play.

Annonymous User

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel more comfortable casting at a distance to be honest. The swords was their originally as a defense skill. I already have a necro mage that has 120 ss necro magery and eval. But I wanted to play something closer to a pure mage and not a necro/sw/ninja/thief/warrior/bow/mage :) So if I was to totaly drop the tactics out of my template what would I look at then. I am also not apposed to dropping the swords as well...

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well the "pure" mage is:

Magery 120
Eval 120
Med 120
Resist 120
Wrestle 120
Scribe 100

If you have a 720 cap maybe drop med to GM and pick up 40 chiv, or if you use the crystalline leave med at 120 and put the last 20 points in focus for a total of 40..

Some people prefer those but I find them to be boring.

My favorite mage so far is the parry mage. A group of 4 parry mages working together can overcome most any group.

Annonymous User

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am thinking of changing to parrying and this is what I came up with.
What do you think ?

magery 100
eval 120
parry 120
med 60
anat 100
resist 115 ish
scribe 100

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am thinking of changing to parrying and this is what I came up with.
What do you think ?

magery 100
eval 120
parry 120
med 60
anat 100
resist 115 ish
scribe 100
Parry mage I would do that or....

Magery 100 (120 w/ Crystalline Ring)
Eval 120
Parry 120
Wrestle 120
Resist 120
Necro 60
Med 80

Dex at 60-70 and carry agils, keep your int as high as possible for SDI (preferably 140). Try to hit 70 DCI as well to make it so HLD has no affect.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Parry Mage Template:-

120 magery
120 evalint
120 resist
120 parry
120 wrestle
120 ninja

1. Dont carry spellbooks
2. Carry a spell channel dci and hci shield if possible
3. 120 wrestle and human will guarantee your disarm or stun punch lowest mana requirement

Try to max below possible stats:-

a.) 40 lmc
b.) 70 dci if possible (60+ also good)
c.) 50 ep (this helps a lot)
d.) more mana regeneration suit
e.) 100 lrc is not needed unless you really too lazy to get reagents or buy reagents from other players
f.) fc 2, fcr 6

The suit are not very hard with the recent faction equipments.

Str 70 (after chug 101) <-- not counting 25 dci glass (gives you 8 extra str)
Int 125 <-- 135 int with pendant of magi (150 after bless)
Dex 60 (after chug 91) <-- not counting 10 dex for crimson apron

Mana wise will be over 160 so should be very enough.

Good luck! ^_^

R

RichDC

You mean DO carry spellbooks right???

Spellbooks arent a weapon...you still use wrestle...and with the Invasion or clanins book available (10DCI on event 5DCI on clanins) you sure as hell want to be carrying one!

Edit: Why ninja as well? Im curious on that bit

T

Turdnugget

Ninja you get mirror image in case you're dismounted, works really well if done right. You can also throw DP darts (saves from casting poison spell) but you gotta drop spellbook. You also get animal form for when you get dismounted and want to run away.

Slayer, I see no meditation in your template... I can't imagine you'd last long in a fight with a mage.

Tank mages are a heck of a lot of fun to play... but are very tricky to get set up right with all the mods you need, and the fact you have to toggle your special move before or after you cast, you can no longer hold your special while casting, like before. As soon as they un-nerf that, i'll be making a tank mage again.

If you can get the right weapon/mods on your suit, you can be a pain in the arse for just about any mage. You do lose some pure fighting skill, but at the same time you pick up some sweet abilities... mortal wound, disarm, bleed, AI, concussion, paralyze, dismount etc...It just sucks you can't arm the special until after you've cast your spell, thus making tank mages that much harder to play today.

If you go the tank mage route, it's easier to carry regs instead of a LRC suit as this makes it a bit easier to reach the mods you need/want on a suit. It does make it a touch more difficult since if you die, and are looted, you've got to restock.

R

RichDC

I have just made a template im interested in testing(worked on test but who knows)

Bushido
swords
tactics
mage
med
eval
and...40SW

Think its gna be pretty sweet although i am worried about my DCI.

T

Turdnugget

If you don't want to use weapon specials...

I run a bushido/parry mage on test.

Mage
EI
Med
Resist
Bushido
Parry
50 (in whatever weapon skill, necessary to use evasion, can't be UBWS)

Template has worked really well for me there.

With the template you got Rich, be sure you're always carrying boxes/cures otherwise mages will have a field day with you =)

R

RichDC

Yea, i found that out in a duel lol

Ok i dont even have 100%lrc atm but still

I do kinda want the nervestrike and feint specials...got a SICK bokuto for him

SC no pen
Hit lightning 40ish
hit stam leech 40ish
HCI 5%

C

Chaosy

Rich, I've seen a few people running that template last time I was on LS and it's a lot less effective than you think. It's good against noobs but a semi-smart mage is going to mana vamp you and poison spam you as soon as he realizes you don't have resist. Also if you're worried about DCI, then I really don't recommend it. I saw a guy that also swapped med for parry... that didn't work out too well for him. I think he died in one combo after I disarmed and mana vamped him (I was on a tank mage)... (><)

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Mage
EI
Med
Resist
Bushido
Parry

With the template you got Rich, be sure you're always carrying boxes/cures otherwise mages will have a field day with you =)
I play this on prodo shard. I also play a wrestle/parry. I really like the bushido one because it's prety easy to tel when you're targetted, and you can just cast evade.

It saves me quite a bit. I like the wrestle(or ant) parry mage because you can't be disarmed... Either way both are strong defensive and good for group pvp.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You mean DO carry spellbooks right???

Spellbooks arent a weapon...you still use wrestle...and with the Invasion or clanins book available (10DCI on event 5DCI on clanins) you sure as hell want to be carrying one!

Edit: Why ninja as well? Im curious on that bit

Actually, if you stand at as a dueler's point of view, you will never understand this type of template... you need to think a wider level, like in an open field fight, team fight, dismounted situations, or any different environment.

Anyways, to answer your question:-

1. No carry spell book = because you are using 2 handed, so thus my point of having 50 ep = become pointless unless you are frequently disarming your spellbook to chug potion which is totally inefficient.

2. No carry spell book = If you notice, you just need to keep in mind of the following mods you are needed:-

a.) dci (60-70)
b.) lmc 40 <-- this is a must
c.) 50 ep <-- 50 enhance potion which greatly benefit parry mage as their stats on str or int do not need to be lowered by too much for dex
d.) sdi 15 <-- which is easy enough to obtain also by 2 jewelries slots
e.) mana regeneration <-- this is a bonus

Note: LRC 100 is NOT needed unless you really are one of the rich people out there that have tons of valorite hammers or barbed kits to burn

3. For why ninja??

Turdnugget got it correct.

mirror image and of course animal form after the 5 seconds passed which in case your horse is dead and you needed out of the dangerous situation on time

of course other benefits such as ninja dart, shuriken to disturb enemies or send trouble to stealth tamers.

4. To answer Turdnugget about the mana regeneration problem

- again, if you are looking at the dueler's point of view, it is really hard to understand this template. This template is for you to be better in the defensive side and supportive to your teammates as a whole and should not be acted as uberness in dueling.

Thus far, with max int, and enough mana regeneration on your suit, it is over 1 mana per second for guaranteed with this template.

Another interesting part is you might want to find out, whether be an elf or be a human.

If you are an elf, you will need at least stamina regeneration 2 on 1 part of the armor for not needing to chug refresh potion constantly for evening riding on horse back.

but if you are human, you would get extra 3 mana regeneration + 2 stamina regeneration so there is no need for 1 piece of your armor to need stamina regenreation.

If again in dueler's point of view, I would rather make a necro mage to finish people faster than using all other kinds of wierd templates.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If again in dueler's point of view, I would rather make a necro mage to finish people faster than using all other kinds of wierd templates.
From a duelers point of view, you wouldn't have necro at all...

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From a duelers point of view, you wouldn't have necro at all...
That is a little bit biased.

If your opponent is a necro mage, why not?

UO is very fair, there shouldn't be any limit unless otherwise notified before duels.

There is no standard in duels unless otherwise have rules stated beforehand.

If you tell me, no necro template before duel, then its fine, pure mage only, no potions, no wrestle, also fine... but needed to state otherwise.

But if there is no rules stated beforehand, why cant we have necro in duels?

T

Turdnugget

Before UO got polluted with a bunch of gimp skills...duels were pure mage or hally/katana swinging mages.

There is no standard in duels
That was the case years ago. There were standards. It was skill vs. skill. You didn't have to wait for someone to run to the bank to grab potions. You didn't have to worry about asking for a pure mage duel.

Duels today are not what they used to be. With an item based UO I think that mage duels in particular have lost a lot of what they once were. Real talent.

Today's UO still does take talent/timing/skill, but it's not the same as what it used to be. Fun.

Slayer, even as a field fighter/supporter/defensive template...I think your suit would be better off with more MR. Especially as a support style character. If you're in charge of dispelling, healing, curing, wall of stone etc etc... that can get mana intensive. I'm not trying to say your template is completely useless, but would be better with some more med/MR in it.

As for this statement...
why cant we have necro in duels
I don't duel necros because I hate seeing duels turn into level 3 and below duels. If a necro gets off strangle, the other person has to go into magic arrow/harm/clumsy defense mode while keeping themselves healed. It's very boring to see fights that don't really involve any combos other than an explosion here and there, mostly harm/magic arrow/poison.

J

jayar

Hi, I'm back after about 5 years. A TON of things have changed.....My mage has always been my main character, and before I was a Pker from hell. I finally managed to get rid of the Evil Lord title and have given up the whole murdering aspect of the old UO style. Time for me to have some fun RPing it up.

I'd like to find out what Templates are best for PvE now. Preferably a template that will allow me to solo some dungeons and higher end areas.

Currently I have:

100 Med
100 Magery
99.5 Resist
97.8 Inscription
100 Eval Intel
100 Anatomy
59 Spirit Speak
30 Focus

Any suggestions on a new template format as well as Gear I should go for? I was considering dropping Anatomy for Poisoning as well.

Malice Faldain, former Evil Lord of the Obsidian Fang.

C

Chaosy

I don't think it's viable to make a mage template without at least some meditation these days. Even in a field fight against a good opponent, you're gimping yourself out of mana.

Jayar: you probably want to make a new post regarding template help, otherwise this thread will probably get cluttered with random tangent responses to everyone. As for a quick template for PvE, I'd go:

120 magery
120 eval
120 med
120 necro
120 ss
120 spellweaving

P

psodennis

Mage
EI
Med
Resist
Bushido
Parry

I play this on prodo shard. I also play a wrestle/parry. I really like the bushido one because it's prety easy to tel when you're targetted, and you can just cast evade.

It saves me quite a bit. I like the wrestle(or ant) parry mage because you can't be disarmed... Either way both are strong defensive and good for group pvp.
May I ask what kind of armors and weaspon are you going to use for bushido mage (for PvM)?
LRC or Def Chance Increase, or other things else ?

Any mainly, what is your damage output weapon or magic ?

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Ultimate Mage aka. Parry-Scribemage (720 Skillcap)

Get Faction DCI glasses, crimson, orny, heart of the lion. Pendant of The Magi, Stitcher's Mittens, Spell-Woven Britches, Quiver of Infinity and some good sleeves & ring. You'll also need Library Talisman - A Grammar of Orcish (+5 Resisting Spells & +7 Anatomy).

73 Anatomy (80 w/ bonus)
120 Eval Int
120 Parrying
120 Magery
115 Resisting Spells (120 w/ bonus)
100 Inscription
72 Meditation (82 w/ bonus).

Resists with the Glasses, Orny, Heart, Stitcher's & Spell-Woven will be 62-43-47-45-48 (+5 elemental resists for free w/ inscription). Other mods are: LMC 30%, MR6, Int +18, Dex +15, Str +8, HPI10, HPR2, LRC 80% & DCI 45% (+ shield). If you want a little bit of HCI for the occasional parablow/disarm you should get the 15/15 SC0 faction shield. Otherwise you can get a Shield of Invulnerability for the DCI and some odd physical res.

With the stat bonuses in mind and assuming a +25 stat scroll I would go 45-50 base dex, 90-95 Int and the rest in strenght.

The next thing to do is to get either
1)LRC20% FCR2-3 ring & sleeves with LMC 8% + MR/HPI/MI
2)Kickass LRC 20% LMC 8% sleeves + faction crystalline ring (can up meditation to 120)

Unfortunately my skill cap is only 700 so I cant really make a proper parry-scribemage (I had to settle for a plain parrymage with wrestling). I also have a pure mage and I suggest you make one in addition to making a parry-scribemage as well so you can switch characters if the situation requires so.

You'll have a slight disadvantage when dueling pures but then again if you got a pure-mage as well you can switch to it. On the other hand you'll be able to take much, much more punishment in group PvP from melee/archers and you can win 2v1 or maybe even 3v1 situations more easily.

Hope this helps.

G

GFY

If your new to playing a spell caster, I would start out simple.

Magery 120
Eval 120
Med 120
Resist 120
Wrestle 120
Inscription 100
Focus 20

Put together a suit that has at least 60 in each resist, 100 LRC, 40 LMC, and 45 DCI, 2/6 faster casting/cast recovery.

Learn to combine your spells for maximum effect and to use your magery and mana for offense (killing) and defense (healing & curing).

Once you get used to this template you can go and play around with spellweaving, necromancy, etc...

Learn the basics, it will make using a spell casting template easier and more fun to play, then you can go and play around with other templates.

Just MHO, and also how I learned playing spell casters.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May I ask what kind of armors and weaspon are you going to use for bushido mage (for PvM)?
LRC or Def Chance Increase, or other things else ?

Any mainly, what is your damage output weapon or magic ?
It's not a PvM template. Your damage output would be way too low.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Parry Mage Template:-

120 magery
120 evalint
120 resist
120 parry
120 wrestle
120 ninja
I like the idea behind this build, but I think the skill allocations are off.

Building a mage without med OR resist is a really bad idea. One mana vamp takes you out of the fight completely.

I plan on changing my Parry/Necro to the following template for experimentation purposes:

100 Mage (120 with crystalline)
120 Resist
120 Eval
120 Parry
100 Anatomy
85 Ninjitsu
75 Meditation

Use the Arcane shield with orny/crystalline for 3/6 casting of image.

Gives you a little over 50% success rate for Llama or Ostard form, 100% success on images.

Stats I would go (before items) 80 str, 60 dex (crimmy + pots puts you at 80 even after a curse) , 115 int.

As always, I like to stack DCI to 70 on these builds.

A group of 4 mages like this would pack a punch when spells synch up, and would be a pancake to kill because everytime someone gets dmounted they just spam images and res their horse or spam for 5 seconds and form away while being xhealed.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the idea behind this build, but I think the skill allocations are off.

Building a mage without med OR resist is a really bad idea. One mana vamp takes you out of the fight completely.

I plan on changing my Parry/Necro to the following template for experimentation purposes:

120 Resist
120 Eval
120 Parry
100 Anatomy
85 Ninjitsu
75 Meditation
Drop anatomy to 80 as you get 120 defensive skill from 80 Anat & 120 Eval. I guess you'll need to test the template in the field a couple of times to find out if you need the extra med, ninjitsu or split the points between both skills.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Drop anatomy to 80 as you get 120 defensive skill from 80 Anat & 120 Eval. I guess you'll need to test the template in the field a couple of times to find out if you need the extra med, ninjitsu or split the points between both skills.
The formula is:

(Anatomy + Eval + 20) / 2 = Defensive

(80 + 120 + 20) / 2 = 110

(100 + 100 + 20) / 2 = 120

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The formula is:

(Anatomy + Eval + 20) / 2 = Defensive

(80 + 120 + 20) / 2 = 110

(100 + 100 + 20) / 2 = 120
Did you take that from UOGuide? I'm pretty sure there's a typo on the UOGuide formula. The correct one is (Eval+Anat)/2+20. The statement from UOGuide "At 100 in both you will have the equivalent of 120 in dodging skill. " implies as well that the formula indeed is (Eval+Anat)/2+20.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you take that from UOGuide? I'm pretty sure there's a typo on the UOGuide formula. The correct one is (Eval+Anat)/2+20. The statement from UOGuide "At 100 in both you will have the equivalent of 120 in dodging skill. " implies as well that the formula indeed is (Eval+Anat)/2+20.
Where did you see the other formula?

The one I have is off of EA's support website.

Anatomy: Increases amount healed, increases damage done by a weapon you are using. Also if you have anatomy and evaluating intelligence it will act as if you have wrestling for all defensive purposes. The formula is (Anatomy + Evaluating Intelligence + 20) / 2 = Defensive Wrestling

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cf...mNoX3RleHQ9YW5hdG9teSBldmFs&p_li=&p_topview=1

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Odd, I've been running with 80 Anat 120 Eval necromage and now my Parrymage.. I get hit as much as I do on my puremage with 120 wrestling (DCI ofc capped).

Fire up a post in the UHall or something to clarify this :D

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Did we get clarification on the defensive wrestling equation using anatomy & eval int?

-OBSIDIAN-

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Support website is linked above, UOGuide formula concurs, not sure if we'll get anymore clarification.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I can pretty safely say that 80anat+120eval = 120 defensive equation. Was fighting 2 archers and a ninjitsu-fencer on my parrymage yesterday. Managed to kill one of the archers and redlined the other like 3 times. All of them had 45% HCI and 120 weapon skills. I got hit as much as when I play my pure mage (not counting the parries of course).

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't get me wrong, I'd rather it be that way because thats 20 extra med points for me.

But everything I've seen contradicts that.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

120 Resist
120 Eval
120 Parry
100 Anatomy
85 Ninjitsu
75 Meditation

Use the Arcane shield with orny/crystalline for 3/6 casting of image.

Gives you a little over 50% success rate for Llama or Ostard form, 100% success on images.

Stats I would go (before items) 80 str, 60 dex (crimmy + pots puts you at 80 even after a curse) , 115 int.

As always, I like to stack DCI to 70 on these builds.

A group of 4 mages like this would pack a punch when spells synch up, and would be a pancake to kill because everytime someone gets dmounted they just spam images and res their horse or spam for 5 seconds and form away while being xhealed.
I've tested this in a PvP setting for 3 days (playing solo), here are my findings.

I ended up going 120 wrestle, 80 ninja, and 60 med instead of the Anatomy route.

I can honestly say this is my new favorite mage template.

I got dismounted and swarmed by archers. All I did for 5 seconds was chain mirror images. The nice thing is if you parry the shot, your image doesn't get hit. The first time I just did images until I could mount my horse. The second time they killed my faction horse, by the time it was dead I was in animal form through a 1 tile alley with 4 mirror images blocking their pursuit.

The Shuriken hit chance is very low at 80 ninja, but I still chuck them. I figure if I have 3 people with me we can all go for dmg spells and each chuck a shuriken so no one has to cast poison.

Mana was kind of a pain, it was slow to come back but I was still able to get quite a few kills. I may switch to anatomy but I really like the stun punch bola.

Another fun little trick when you're fighting dexers. Dismount, spam mirror images, back on mount, now do your mana dump. It's really easy to get off big spells, especially on archers.

IMO - this is the perfect template for group mage fighting. Ridiculous survivability with enough damage output for a synch of 3 ppl to drop anyone.