• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Mage Tamer?

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
My son is interested in this and now I'm interested lol. He wants to be a mage but also would like to ride and control something like a nightmare. Is this viable? Sounds like a lot of skills, but never played a tamer so I'm not sure. Help please!

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well, I'm kinda thinking

animal taming
lore
vet
magery
eval int
med
resist spells

Seems resist is the skill not used so much in the above template. I'm not really comfortable not having it. I'm thinking with suits, scrappers, jewelry, etc I can expand on the above. Hmmm any thoughts? :p

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have run that template and really liked it...get your pet to engage and stand back a safe distance and fire spells

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I run the following (off the top of my head)

120 taming (+30 on jewels)
120 lore
100 vet
120 mage
115 eval
100 hiding
80 stealth (10 on cloak)

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have several mage tamers on different shards, always built like this:

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Med
120 Taming
120 Lore
100-120 Vet

If I go 100 vet I just throw on 20 focus, as it helps elven characters with stamina loss. I don't use resist on these characters, never saw the need for it. I carry apples, petals, and a trapped box to combat curses/poison/para. Suits are set up for max dci and a mage weapon for defensive purposes. I don't PvP with tamers, so the lack of resist on a PvM template like this has never been a problem for me.

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I started out with the same template, it works very well.

After awhile, well, actually, when I returned 7 months ago and wanted to tame a GD for myself, I dropped Med and resist, and added music and peace. As a peace tamer, there didn't seem to be anything that is tameable that was out of reach (taming is 115, vet is 115, lore is 120). After getting a good GD, and fighting more than taming, dropped peace, and picked up Disco. What a way to fight!

Good luck, its a lot of fun.

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of my tamers is a mage tamer with vet/lore/taming, magery/med/eval/spellweaving (scrolled and jeweled to 120). It's a fun template, though I'm still working on mastering the spellweaving end of it. It's nice to be able to participate offensively with magery (whereas my tamer bards have no med/eval and therefore can't do much but heal).

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I love my Mage/SW/Tamer. I get to cast offensive spells as well as heal, with Word of Death being GREAT to end the fight with. The downside was I had to drop Med for SW. But I do have a lot of MR so it works well. You might try it.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
120 Taming
110 Lore
120 Eval Int
120 Magery
120 Resisting Spells
55 Chiv
90 Vet (I use enhanced bandages so my vet heals at 100)

This is a fantastic template for farming pets. All my taming skills are scrolled up to 120 and I use a separate set of jewels to bring my taming skills up to 120/120/120 for stable slots, and to rez pets. I think I have 55 skill points in my suit, and I use a second suit that has lower skills, but still high enough to control all pets at 99%, doesn't have all 70's resists, but has high mana regen and high sdi for pvm. I use my primary suit and template for pvp as well, and because I use the enhanced client I can switch jewels and suits instantly with the press of a button.

Darius Bloodbain

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Capt. Lucky,
I have same template as your first post in the thread. Has worked well for me for years.
I do like some the other peoples templates who posted too.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I should note that my template requires that you keep your karma very high, or the chiv won't be much use for curse removal, which is what I use it for.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I should note that my template requires that you keep your karma very high, or the chiv won't be much use for curse removal, which is what I use it for.
Since I'm doing this on a Dread Lord that's good info, lol. It's my son's account and I don't normally think much about negative karma. Although I did have some pixies (or something, can't remember) kick my butt with this character. Mostly cause I had no idea they were gonna go bat crazy on me, lol.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm just tanking up this character for my son :) After that it's not my problem. He wants a mage that can ride a dread mare, all I know lol I'm not even a tamer... guess I might learn a little though in the process.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mage/Tamer is basically the original Tamer template. I have 2 old Mage/Tamers on Napa.
Zeus is 120 Taming/120 Lore/GM Vet/GM Magery/GM Eval/GM Med/80.0 Resist.
Aries is 110 Taming/110 Lore/GM Vet/GM Magery/GM Eval/GM Med/GM Resist.
Both use Swords of Prosperity for -0 Mage Weapon and 200 Luck, and Aries uses the Birds of Britannia Talisman to bring him up to 115 Taming/Lore. The build is very solid, capable of using the pet for damage, while being able to dish out some damage yourself with Slayer spellbooks.

Another build i like using, is the Disco Tamer. Taming/Lore/Vet/Magery/Med/Music/Disco. Discord makes opponents alot easier for your pet to tear through, but you yourself can't deal much damage, asides from Despair with a Slayer instrument.

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mage/Tamer is basically the original Tamer template. I have 2 old Mage/Tamers on Napa.
Zeus is 120 Taming/120 Lore/GM Vet/GM Magery/GM Eval/GM Med/80.0 Resist.
Aries is 110 Taming/110 Lore/GM Vet/GM Magery/GM Eval/GM Med/GM Resist.
Both use Swords of Prosperity for -0 Mage Weapon and 200 Luck, and Aries uses the Birds of Britannia Talisman to bring him up to 115 Taming/Lore. The build is very solid, capable of using the pet for damage, while being able to dish out some damage yourself with Slayer spellbooks.

Another build i like using, is the Disco Tamer. Taming/Lore/Vet/Magery/Med/Music/Disco. Discord makes opponents alot easier for your pet to tear through, but you yourself can't deal much damage, asides from Despair with a Slayer instrument.
I have a mage/tamer very close to these temps and they are a lot of fun. Key to my suits are SD, LMC, and MR. All 70's and throw in some MI and Int and you should have a pretty solid suit. It is tough to finish off the template without topping off some skills with jewels or other items but for a PVM template you will be able to deal damage yourself and have your pet tank/damage for you and use vet to heal your pet reserving your mana for mage spells and bardsongs.

But I actually prefer my bard/tamer. I have a similar template to this except I've dropped med and added peace so i'm basically a disco/peace/tamer and magery has basically become a utility skill. I can use disco for debuffs, peace for crowd control and my pet for tanking and damage. Basically I just sit back and control the fight. The drawback to not having Med on this template is the mana required for the upkeep of bardsongs. With LMC and MR built into my suit I can sustain one bardsong for myself and my pet indefinitely but two songs will drain me in about 3-4 minutes which really isn't that horrible.

No matter what other skills you choose being a tamer is a very fun template.

...oh and mares are fun but if you can get a cu as a mount i would advise going that route. They don't have magery but have higher dps when trained as well as having far superior survivability compared to a mare. Oh and they have healing and can heal themselves as well as you in a pinch.