• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

mage/tamer template questions - specific skill points

Saria of Atl

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hello all,

I've been playing a mage/tamer off and on (more off than on) for a few years now and am hoping to fine tune my skill set.

right now I'm at
106 animal taming
110 lore
100 vet
100 magery
100 eval int
100 med
71 resist spells

I'm not necessarily looking to completely renovate my skills, just wondering where I should put the extra 13 skill points. for example, I've read that veterinary over 100 is of little use. I'm wondering what suggestions you all have as to where to cap these skills. also, if any are "too high" and you feel the points could be better used elsewhere, feel free to give your opinion on that as well.

it may help if I mention that I'm mostly a PVE or PVM type, working mostly champ spawns, peerless and the like.

thanks!

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd try push taming to 120 and maybe lore 120 (there is a talisman that adds +5 to both) might be handy.

How about music and barding skill in place of the resist and med?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It's all just a matter of opinion really. Like that old TV show, Different Strokes for different folks.....

Personally I would drop the resist and put that 71 along with the additional 13 on Spellweaving. Then I would look at anyway possible I could add 36 skillpoints into the suit on the char (a nice 3 mod scrappers, birds of brit talis, jewls -Crys ring for +20 Mage etc) and finally make it to 120 sw. But hey, that's just my .02. The way I play my mage tamer the benefits of SW FARRRRR outweighs what little benefit resist spells has these days.

Saria of Atl

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks for the replies!

I've never looked much into spellweaving but good suggestion. I'll have my research cut out of me on that one. how do you find it helpful to a tamer?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Honestly to me, gift of life alone is worth the 120 points lol. Die and insta rez :)

There are alot of other spells that complement a tamer..

Gift of renewal - heals a little health each second -based on SW level and level of your arcane focus

Ethereal Voyage - Lets you get to those hard to reach places without being targetted

Wildfire/Essence of Wind - Decent area effect spells, wind is not quite as good as wither, but hits the entire screen.

Thunderstorm - Great when running a spawn of spell casters or Wyvern renowned and those forgotten servants. It slows their casting times.

Attunement - Absorbs "X" amount of damage done to you.

Word Of Death - Makes almost ANY champ or high end critter die fast towards the end.

Those are primarily the spells I use. To me they complement the mage/tamer VERY well.

Last edited:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have soulstones, then you could simply shuffle that template around without "getting rid" of anything that's hard to train. I tend to shuffle skills even to my crafters if necessary so I don't flush anything before I'm sure.

If you're happy to have points in meditation just to support a mage, then I think spellweaving is a great idea. I kinda find spellweaving on the boring side, so I ended up making a necro mage tamer with enough spellweaving that she could cast gift of life/renewal/summons and just help me out. That is a really tight template though, you're squeezing in GM necro+spirit speak and about 50-60 in spellweaving :D You can add skill boosting items in though. It is funny rounding up the early levels of a champ around your pets and wither-spamming a mountain of corpses though! And it's something different. However, it's not what I'd call an "easy" template and there are situations where that negative karma is going to be awkward. I stopped trying to keep mine positive, but it does mean that taming cu sidhe with her is quite challenging hehehehe!

I turned my mage into a stealther/herder because she was my main tamer at the time and I wanted one tamer who I could send out to stealth round spawns loring critters and herd them to a safe spot for taming. At the time I was taming a lot of pets to sell, so making that easier made sense :) She ended up like:
120 tame
120 lore
120 vet
100 magery
100 hiding
100 herding/eval (soulstone swaps)
60 stealth (+ stealth items are in her normal suit so she can easily hit GM as necessary)

The vet/lore are at 120 on that char because I vet as my main healing option, and you heal more points of damage with higher skill, so it was worthwhile for me to boost vet/lore on her. It's also helpful to always be able to rez a pet - if I'm hunting with 2 and one is killed, I need to rez that dead pet ASAP to prevent pet 2 from dying.
In your case, I wouldn't raise your vet/lore if you're going spellweaver/mage because the SW/mage is giving extra heal support. I cap all my other tamers at 110/110/110 at most, with scrolls eaten so they can boost to 120 as needed. I notice a difference between the different skill levels, but the ones with lower skill have higher offensive power to compensate for that.

Wenchy

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have soulstones, then you could simply shuffle that template around without "getting rid" of anything that's hard to train. I tend to shuffle skills even to my crafters if necessary so I don't flush anything before I'm sure.

If you're happy to have points in meditation just to support a mage, then I think spellweaving is a great idea. I kinda find spellweaving on the boring side, so I ended up making a necro mage tamer with enough spellweaving that she could cast gift of life/renewal/summons and just help me out. That is a really tight template though, you're squeezing in GM necro+spirit speak and about 50-60 in spellweaving :D You can add skill boosting items in though. It is funny rounding up the early levels of a champ around your pets and wither-spamming a mountain of corpses though! And it's something different. However, it's not what I'd call an "easy" template and there are situations where that negative karma is going to be awkward. I stopped trying to keep mine positive, but it does mean that taming cu sidhe with her is quite challenging hehehehe!

I turned my mage into a stealther/herder because she was my main tamer at the time and I wanted one tamer who I could send out to stealth round spawns loring critters and herd them to a safe spot for taming. At the time I was taming a lot of pets to sell, so making that easier made sense :) She ended up like:
120 tame
120 lore
120 vet
100 magery
100 hiding
100 herding/eval (soulstone swaps)
60 stealth (+ stealth items are in her normal suit so she can easily hit GM as necessary)

The vet/lore are at 120 on that char because I vet as my main healing option, and you heal more points of damage with higher skill, so it was worthwhile for me to boost vet/lore on her. It's also helpful to always be able to rez a pet - if I'm hunting with 2 and one is killed, I need to rez that dead pet ASAP to prevent pet 2 from dying.
In your case, I wouldn't raise your vet/lore if you're going spellweaver/mage because the SW/mage is giving extra heal support. I cap all my other tamers at 110/110/110 at most, with scrolls eaten so they can boost to 120 as needed. I notice a difference between the different skill levels, but the ones with lower skill have higher offensive power to compensate for that.

Wenchy

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok I love my Spell Weaver Mage Tamer

Skills Real then Modified with items and jewelry

Lore 105 / 114
Tame 102 /120
Vet 110 / 110
Eval 105 / 105
Med 90 / 90
Mag 95 / 120
Spell 113 / 113

works very nicley ad a disco helper out and nothing can stand in my way.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I went with Human tamer and made suit accordingly

JOTA wraith form is really nice with spellweaving

Colgarra

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ok I love my Spell Weaver Mage Tamer

Skills Real then Modified with items and jewelry

Lore 105 / 114
Tame 102 /120
Vet 110 / 110
Eval 105 / 105
Med 90 / 90
Mag 95 / 120
Spell 113 / 113

works very nicley ad a disco helper out and nothing can stand in my way.
Ok, I can see the SW/Med - but why the Magery/Eval instead of Disco/Music? What Magery spells are you using that would be worth more than a "disco'd" critter?