• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Katlene

I thought id stick this one up as a 'hopefully' easy to find reference when it comes to luck issues. Its been a point of interest to how it works for a while for many people. Here is this, from Draconi for everyone to refer to.

The way that Luck factors into loot distribution has been addressed many times, but never has any dev team member ever explained what actually happens *after* a Luck roll is successful. So: What really happens when a character’s Luck roll is successful? We know that loot amounts and intensities go up, but by how much? And what decides by how much?

Wow. Finding the answer to these two questions has been an adventure. I’m going to answer them both at the same time, since they’re connected.

First off, you should know that this discussion is focused on the monster loot generation system. Every monster (every mobile, really) in the game has the opportunity to have a basic set of loot available when it dies. These loot tables are assigned to each type of monster in a set of predefined files, which contain the type of loot available and the range of item property intensities to add on to them. It is possible to generate loot outside these files, and some systems (like the Doom artifact system) take luck into consideration when making rewards. However, for the sake of these two questions, I’m going to ignore everything but how normal loot generation actually works.

Luck, in this way, can affect:
Number of items
Number of properties on items
Intensity of properties

A “luck roll” is defined as a roll against a chance of 1:100.

Before this roll is done, your luck is modified to fit that scale, so your luck directly converts to a percentage of chance that your luck will modify the loot.
The formula is: chance = round(luck ^ (5/9)). Results are rounded to the nearest whole number.
Luck Chance
0 0%
100 13%
200 19%
300 24%
400 28%
500 32%
600 35%
700 38%
800 41%
900 44%
1000 46%
1100 49%
1200 51%
1300 54%
1400 56%
1500 58%

This chance is evaluated as the RNG versus your luck. So if it rolls 30, and you have a luck result of 56, you win. The RNG can roll from 0 to 99, then tests whether its roll is less than your result.

I can officially verify that it’s impossible to “roll over” with too much luck, and not get anything.

Number of Items

Within each loot definition for the monster, there are a total number of items that it can potentially create. This is random, ranging from one to the max number available.
The luck roll can add one more item to each definition, if that number doesn’t exceed the max.

For example, let’s make up a case where we have two loot definitions:
The first definition has jewelry, max 3. It rolls between 1 and 3. Alas, the result was 1. You only get a bracelet.
If you make your luck roll here, this will increase by one. You now get two items.
The second definition has weapons and armor, max 3. It rolls between 1 and 3. The result was 3. Thus, you might get a bow, a shield, and a mace.
You already rolled 3 (the max), so luck is ignored.

Number of Item Properties

The same thing described above works exactly the same for the number of properties on an item.

Item Property Intensities

Finally, the luck roll also modifies the actual intensity of any magic property, as long as it doesn’t exceed the property’s max.

This part is somewhat tricky. Every loot definition has an intensity range attached. This actually modifies the range available compared to the item property’s actual range.
For instance, Damage Increase has a range of 1 to 50. A loot definition might declare an intensity range of 0.25 to 0.3. This would mean that the available range for DI is really 13 to 15 for that item.

The initial intensity is a random number within that range. In our case, let’s choose 14.
If we make our luck roll, our intensity is increased by 10% of the *item property’s max value*. So, 10% of 50 is 5. Our result is 19. However, that’s outside of that nice 13 to 15 range we established: it’ll cap at 15.

And that’s how luck affects the loot tables!
-Draconi

L

Luna Lagger

This is called Plagiarism.

And you call yourself a role model, you should be taken of the news reporting team immediately, this has disgusted me and the folks around me.

It is blatant that you are doing it, just give it up.

T

Teeshy

It's not plagiarism, she said it was from Draconi =P

There's been a couple minor clarifications made to that original post too, like he thinks the loot tables are broken - can't say I've ever taken any notice of luck at all =) Never bothered putting it on any of my characters, they get incidental luck, that's it =)

F

Farscape

And you guys wonder why people do not post here
all you do is flame whine and be down right rude and arrogant so in that case all your posts are trolls
There is nothing wrong with information being posted for others to read
Since you lost your pvp thread due to your maturity now all you do is pick pick pick
go get a life leave othere who are trying to help the forum alone
Go be a bully elswhere we are now in 2009 where this sort of thing is not acceptable
Thanks Kathlene for putting up with these posters please keep going sooner or later they will fade away
Now they will flame me for they can not help themselves
LoL as if it worries me go for it

K

Katlene

All good i dont care what they think. thier opinions mean nothing.
They have there own little domain now but they still cant resisit coming here.
Quite sad really.

It would of been impossible to research myself because...
The way that Luck factors into loot distribution has been addressed many times, but never has any dev team member ever explained what actually happens *after* a Luck roll is successful.

P

Paradox_

All good i dont care what they think. thier opinions mean nothing.
Which is why you reported posts in the PvP thread and got it shut down for us. Because clearly the stuff in there you didnt care about, right?

You trying to be the 'mum' for us, why dont you just **** off?

K

Katlene

Well your very wrong there actually as i wasnt even in town when that thread got chopped. id been away for 3 days and it was gone when i came back.
Ovr also checked it often so whether someone reported posts or not wouldnt matter because he'd get rid of the 'bad' ones anyway.

Stop trying to blame me for things i am not guilty of.

I loved reading the pvp thread. it was hilarious. Ive also been reading the other one too. There are no words to describe it.
For the closure of the stratics pvp thread youve no one else to blame but you and your cronies for not being able to follow the very simple guide lines put into place.

Now, If you dont mind this thread is actually about how the luck rolls in game not how pvp-ers lucked out.

B

Bladron

This is called Plagiarism.

And you call yourself a role model, you should be taken of the news reporting team immediately, this has disgusted me and the folks around me.

It is blatant that you are doing it, just give it up.
No it's not, you probably never made it academically past about year 10, because you have no clue whatsoever. Ergo, shut up. You're being a pansy.

I mean, Kat may be an insufferable blight on the forums, but at least come up with realistic reasons to attack her. It's far more fun because then she flips out and cries when you call her out on the truth, rather than this utter bull****.

You're not a very good flamer at all.

K

Katlene

Its blite on these forums *laughs*
But thats rich coming from you blad!
Ive never flipped out and cried from them calling me out on the truth, its never happened!
Plus i have meds to stop flip outs in general :D :spider:

B

Bladron

Its blite on these forums *laughs*
But thats rich coming from you blad!
I'm famous and loved and heralded every time I show up. We're polar opposites.

Plus i have meds to stop flip outs in general :D :spider:
You have no idea how little this surprises me. It's speaks for itself that I expect you to be on some sort of crazy 'sperg-meds.

F

Fink

This info really ought to be stickied somewhere for All Time so idiots who don't get uber loot can be pointed to it, rather than have them clog up FoF with stupid Luck questions all the time.

K

Katlene

If why i posted it in here fink...
May have to get Ovr to clean out the rubbish though. Seem to be tickets all over the place too. :lick:

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No it's not, you probably never made it academically past about year 10, because you have no clue whatsoever. Ergo, shut up. You're being a pansy.
Defending your online woman?

I mean, Kat may be an insufferable blight on the forums, but at least come up with realistic reasons to attack her. It's far more fun because then she flips out and cries when you call her out on the truth, rather than this utter bull****.

You're not a very good flamer at all.
See, if we aren't very good at flaming... then why on earth did you just flip out and rage at what Luna said? Clearly we got to you, maybe you should be my next target, I mean you sure are quite easy.

id been away for 3 days and it was gone when i came back.
Ovr also checked it often so whether someone reported posts or not wouldnt matter because he'd get rid of the 'bad' ones anyway.

Stop trying to blame me for things i am not guilty of.

I loved reading the pvp thread
. it was hilarious. Ive also been reading the other one too. There are no words to describe it.
For the closure of the stratics pvp thread youve no one else to blame but you and your cronies for not being able to follow the very simple guide lines put into place.
Bull**** you got several posts deleted because you simply couldn't handle reading things that weren't PG. You knew what the PvP thread would bring, you knew who would say it, you knew you couldn't handle it and yet you still made it your business to go in there and report peoples posts... even ones that had nothing to do with you. I made a post that was there for several days and then you decided hey I'll stick my nose in other people's business and low and behold it got deleted. Katlene, you've just become my next PoC.

Have fun.

K

Katlene

err i am in poc. and good luck with idle threats pet.
Now can people stop derailing the thread please. Its about luck not me.

Petrify

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
err i am in poc. and good luck with idle threats pet.
Now can people stop derailing the thread please. Its about luck not me.
So it's okay for you to ruin the pvp thread but we can't do the same to you?

K

Katlene

oh get over yourself all ready! i didnt do squat to your precious thread i wasnt even in town when what ever happened happened so stop looking for a scape goat when the only people to blame are you and your fellow pvp-ers
Its the rules you all broke that would of been the reason of its closure so now you have a pvp specific forum with no rules so there is nothing for you to whige about what so ever.
And to add cream to the top theres no me posting HUZZAH!

B

Bladron

Defending your online woman?
Yes, yes I am. You shall now refer to me as Sir Bladron to show me the respect I deserve as a whiteknight. Please do not leave fingerprints on my shining armour of +10 virginity. Didn't you know the secret to getting laid is to call your fair princess an insufferable blight? You really should try it brosef, it's amazing how well it works.

See, if we aren't very good at flaming... then why on earth did you just flip out and rage at what Luna said? Clearly we got to you, maybe you should be my next target, I mean you sure are quite easy.
Not really. I called Luna a ****** because you don't understand the simple concept of plagarism in the slightest sense. That wasn't 'raging out' by any stretch - I actually retyped what I said at least once to tone down any 'abuse' (hah) in the post due to the draconian, pussified, oversheltered rules that stratics enforces.

I couldn't give a toss if Kat goes and plays chicken with a freight train as a result of this thread eating her very soul to the core. I was simply pointing out Luna's incredible stupidity. The fact that it was as a result of something Kat said was immaterial - Luna could've said it to fink or you and I would've called him out all the same. Am I your whiteknight too if I were to do it to something he said directed at you?

Use your head, even if it only works at a glacially slow pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.