• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lost Skills?

L

Legacyee

Hi
I hope someone can help
My game crashed with a virtual memory problem (it was too low, and has been fixed now) but this happened with a couple of my characters and both times i lost skills from the skills gump (plus icons for spells off the main page)
I can't get access to the skills, my tamer has no Lore or Taming plus others and I can't see the level my fisherman is at.
any help please :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
delete the skill group file from the character data, by going into the character's folder from outside the game, then restart the game.

OR

If you have a character with a similar skill outlay with a good copy (even if on another shard), go to that character's folder, and copy the file over into the character folder missing the data.

Similarly, one can do the copy trick for the desktop settings, but it would probably be be quicker to just rebuild your spell icons from scratch (as it is likely you might want to add or delete a few spells from your list, even if the character being copied from is the exact same profession)

L

Legacyee

Thank you Basara
I think i've done what you said but i still can't get the skills in my skill gump, so I can't lock off any that are hidden or use skills like animal lore because it doesn't appear in the skill section on my paperdoll

B

Babble

I think you can recreate them under a new tab in the skill list

L

Legacyee

Thanks for your answer Babble
I have tried to recreate them a few times and failed, do you know how i should do it because i am just guessing and failing...alot
I really only want to use aninal lore at the moment but some of the others i need to lock off
Any help is appreciated (i will try almost anything)

B

Babble

As shortcut at the moment you can set keys as macro to the skills you need to play.

Just checked it and I was wrong that you can recreate the skills you can only move them to a skill group you like, but not recreate them.

B

Babble

In your documents/EA games Folder you have a folder with your account name and the character name
In the character name folder is a skillgrp.mul
Delete the file then restart UO and it should rebuild the skill list

O

OK Lumberjack

I'm having the same problem. I've deleted skillgrp.mul from the folder and restarted UO. Same skills missing as before.

Is there anything else to try?

And any idea why this happens? With me, there was never any crash, just random missing skills from the skill menu, when the character is created.

L

Legacyee

Thank you Babble
I forgot about the macro shortcut,so at least i can use Animal Lore again
I have tried deleting the skillgrp.mul and restating but alas it made no differents
I think i may have to try something bigger, like deleting UO and reloading the whole thing,not sure if it will work or how to do it yet
I will wait a bit longer just in case someone can think of another way
But if I do and it works I shall post on here
@Lumberjack if you have the same problem from creating a char then i feel this is going to take a little while to fix, I hope you have more luck than me

B

Babble

Did it replace a skillgrp.mul?

Last resort is a new install, but is a bit annyoing for something so small

You can try to delete the whole character folder and let it be rebuilt

Hmm in the UO folder (Programs/EA Games /UO ... )there is also a skillgrp.mul.
Can you delete this one and also the one from the character folder and restart UO.
Tried it an UO worked.

O

OK Lumberjack

I deleted skillgrp.mul from that character's folder and copied the folder from a character with a non-defective skill group. That seems to have done the trick. I had to shuffle things around, of course, but at least I did have all of the skills.

L

Legacyee

I have tried this a couple of time but there is no change, are there 2 places where i can find my chatacters skillgrp.mul, because i can find only one in that characters folder

B

Babble

UO folder (Programs/EA Games /UO ... )there is also a skillgrp.mul.
At least I had one extra which seemed to do nothing

UO before had a default setting which it used and I think it gets that from the UO files in the programs folder.
If you check you will also find a macros.txt there which a new character gets.

So try to delete the skillgrp.mul in the Programs/EA Games /UO.... folder. Maybe your skillgrp.mul there is defect and that is why it does not work.

If you make a new char does the new char have a broken skill sheet?

L

Legacyee

I have found 2 skillgrp.muls and deleted them both but there must be another one somewhere because I still can't get the lost skills back.

Only 2 of my 7 characters have this problem (these are the only 2 that crashed and they have different missing skills)the rest are okay, and because they are all used making a new character is not a option

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Copy one of the files from a working character's folder to the non-working ones, and then if they show up, edit them to get them back the way you want.

L

Legacyee

Hooray
Thank you Basara,Babble and OK Lumberjack

I found the other skillgrp.mul and deleted it then copied any pasted someone else's, and ...all is well now
Thank you all very much for your help