• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lost Bonded Packy

R

RenaLynne

Okay, this is not a rant, its a question. Story is...I just finished up an IDOC, was recalling home, pet didnt follow. Went back, packy's MIA, did the whole log out log back in thing numerous times, still no packy. Went to stables, no packy...checked my follower count...did not register me having it. :cursing:

So Im guessing went wild, yada, yada. Anyone know if, for future reference, the items drop to ground when it goes wild after being previously bonded? Do they get sucked into the tunnel of lost UO items? No biggy, sh*t happens and all that, but I would like to know if there was any chance in retrieving lost items if you catch it in time.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
when they have stuff in them they actually bug. this si gonna sound silly, but if it happen not too long ago, run around where you last saw it calling it and see if it comes out of hiding. also keep an eye out for a blue pack, all packys leave thier items behind when they go wild in a blue pack, bonde or not. hope that helps

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rena,

I am sorry you lost your pet. Even though they are "pixels" it is especially painful losing a bonded pet, because they share our adventures in the game, and we get used to seeing them. I recently lost a pack horse that I had as my crafter's companion for years.

I do not play on a shard that has recall, but will guess that what applies with pets for the gate spell also applies to recall, so one thing to remember, is that with the new pet AI, you must instruct your pet to follow you before you recall. If the pet has any items in its pack, it will NOT use the auto stable function when you log out - it will remain in its current location. This means if your pet did not follow you when you recalled, then you must return to the previous location, locate it, and command it to follow you.

I have not found any set timer for an animal to go wild - it is based on how quickly their happiness degrades after being separated from their owner, and that seems to vary.

As mentioned by another, if your pack animal goes wild, a little backpack with the items it was holding for you will drop to the ground, just like a vendor does when it is dismissed with goods and/or dressed with items. If someone kills your pack animal, the items will drop to the corpse and are subject to the normal corpse decay timer. Player corpses turn to bones after 7 minutes, and completely decay after 14 minutes...I have never timed a pack animal corpse, but to be safe I would go with the assumption that it decays like a monster corpse, which is much sooner - a few minutes at most.

Items in the UO world if left undisturbed on the ground will decay within 3 hours. I have done some thorough tests with timers for this, and 3 hours is the upper limit, unless the item is "bugged" - no item I have tested has ever lasted beyond 3 hours.

Special items such as "newbied" items will decay within 90 seconds.

Hope this info helps you avoid a future tragedy!

-Skylark

R

RenaLynne

Thanks for your replys, next time I will be more careful. I shouldve searched around on the ground more. Oh well, lesson learned and all that. Thanks guys:)

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for your replys, next time I will be more careful. I shouldve searched around on the ground more. Oh well, lesson learned and all that. Thanks guys:)
This is kind of wierd.. but something similar happened to my friend. He just started playing again recently.

We bonded a few swamp dragons for him. We died while pvping so I told him to log out before his swampy got killed. He did, we got ressed up and we logged out and back in to have the pets come. Mine came and his didn't. We recalled to the stables to claim it, but it wasn't stabled, it was sitting by the Moonglow Inn in felucca, next to the animal trainer.

Every time that he dies and logs out his pet goes there. I can't explain it.

It also did not show as a follower slot for him until he said all follow me on the same screen as the swampy. Not sure if that helps, but it might be worth a try.

R

RenaLynne

Hmmm...wish it was sitting all peaceful somewhere for me:D Yea, I tried last night ran around deperately calling for the stubborn thing, nowheresville. Werid that it travels to some other town, never heard of that before.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this occurrence is happening more and more. i know friends who have lost numerous bonded pets--i lost my bonded swampy. a friend lost her blue beetle. her story is a little different in that she was just sitting on it and all of a sudden it threw her off and face-planted into a wall and died. i was there so i know she isn't making it up. something is definitely wrong with the code or whatever.

R

RenaLynne

Whaaa??? Thats crazy! Faceplanted a wall and died? OMG:D Ok, not funny.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've had that happen a few times on my crafters and their packs and beetles and once on my pally archer with my swampie (never got another one). But never any other char types, just those, so maybe a bug in there??

Ori