• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lost Beetle

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Logged on to my smith today and my giant beetle that I've had for years was missing. It seemed to still show up under my followers but it was nowhere to be found so I paged a GM waited a few minutes, checked my followers again and it was gone so I canceled my help request. Is there any point in paging? I'm assuming it's long gone but I thought I'd ask here. Sucks since I had it so long.:(

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ouch... sometimes there is sometimes there isn't never know till you try... but since the followers say 0 that is rough.

Did you happen to check the stables?

Sadly though when you log off if you aren't "on" your beetle and sometimes even when you are the beetle can become unhappy throw you off if you log out somewhere where you don't instantly log... if it does this it'll sometimes toss you off and wander away...

Sometimes also if you log out and aren't on your beetle if it has anything "in" it ... it won't instantly log with you and therefore goes wild and leaves...

Somtimes if you have just recently killed something such as a mongbat outside your house you don't instantly log... and in this time the beetle can become unhappy toss you and wander away.

Now that they have changed decay times on things it's hard to say when that happened... but generally used to be when they would "go wild" it would drop it's pack and wander away the pack would stay in-game for 2 hours after the pet left... however now that decay times seem sped up by quite a lot that can be as short as 10 to 20 min...

Generally though with a bonded pet if it doesn't seem to be with you recalling, logging in and out quick and having an all stop all stay handy can help ... but if the count moves to 0 you've likely lost your beloved pet.

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ouch... sometimes there is sometimes there isn't never know till you try... but since the followers say 0 that is rough.

Did you happen to check the stables?

Sadly though when you log off if you aren't "on" your beetle and sometimes even when you are the beetle can become unhappy throw you off if you log out somewhere where you don't instantly log... if it does this it'll sometimes toss you off and wander away...

Sometimes also if you log out and aren't on your beetle if it has anything "in" it ... it won't instantly log with you and therefore goes wild and leaves...

Somtimes if you have just recently killed something such as a mongbat outside your house you don't instantly log... and in this time the beetle can become unhappy toss you and wander away.

Now that they have changed decay times on things it's hard to say when that happened... but generally used to be when they would "go wild" it would drop it's pack and wander away the pack would stay in-game for 2 hours after the pet left... however now that decay times seem sped up by quite a lot that can be as short as 10 to 20 min...

Generally though with a bonded pet if it doesn't seem to be with you recalling, logging in and out quick and having an all stop all stay handy can help ... but if the count moves to 0 you've likely lost your beloved pet.
Thanks for the response. Checked the stables wasn't there and zero followers so I don't think I'll page. I'm sure I was mounted when logged but maybe I wasn't, live and learn I guess. I probably had it for 10+ years never lost a pet I had so long:sad3:. Anyway thanks again.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The same seemed to have happened on our shard. Alliance member logged in on mount and said it suddenly vanished. It couldnt be found anywhere.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I logged in while training fishing a couple weeks back to find my character on foot on his ship with his beetle missing yet still showing on his follower count. Logged out and in and the follower count dropped to zero instead of pulling the beetle back to him. Had to get a new one.

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I logged in while training fishing a couple weeks back to find my character on foot on his ship with his beetle missing yet still showing on his follower count. Logged out and in and the follower count dropped to zero instead of pulling the beetle back to him. Had to get a new one.
That sounds exactly like what happened with me. Inside my house though.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
about 8 years ago i lost my pack of 5 fully trained different colours hellcats. Had them for years and lost them all in one go to a stable bug. Stabled them all, went back the next day and they were all gone. I paged GM back then but GMs are not allowed to reinburse you with new items or pets if they get lost or whatever. So no point paging when stuff like this happens unless its to report the bug itself. Ive got a new pack of hellcats since there but still haven't finished training them lol.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
about 8 years ago i lost my pack of 5 fully trained different colours hellcats. Had them for years and lost them all in one go to a stable bug. Stabled them all, went back the next day and they were all gone. I paged GM back then but GMs are not allowed to reinburse you with new items or pets if they get lost or whatever. So no point paging when stuff like this happens unless its to report the bug itself. Ive got a new pack of hellcats since there but still haven't finished training them lol.
Ouch...

Hardest loss I ever had was my beloved WW I had for a very long time... shortly after Doom was released we went to nail it and someone had summoned the Skeletal Dragon... Everything was fine right up until it was nearly dead... and then suddenly it turned on my WW and somehow released it's bond.... and killed it nearly instantly. All I could do was stare at the corpse of my beloved friend and cry... I made a memorial garden for my dear departed friend and wrote an Ode to Ice...

I have seen many things come and go since but that was the most devastating loss and since then I will not risk a pet ... if there is a chance or I hear that pets are vanishing such as from the Roof encounters and such... It makes me not want to participate. I just don't think that the DEVs truly understand how much our pets mean to us. To lose a companion like that... it's not something you can just go out and tame another one...

It rather reminds me of folk who don't understand when your cat or dog dies... how heart-wrenching that can be... it's like losing a child or your best friend. Certainly we all realize that pets don't live forever... but the bonds formed in the short time you get to spend with them are just as strong. And yes... you can form a bond with pixels. I've had some of my Beetles and such for ages... Which when forced to choose between getting a new Dragon Turtle or keeping that first ever tamed Nightmare or WW... The choice is always from the heart.

I'm hoping with new taming and pet revamp they will consider this...

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That sucks :( Yeah im a tamer boy down to the core. Every game i play, if theres a pet class im choosing it lol. Yeah our pets aren't just a piece of armour or a weapon you buy and then upgrade further down the line. You spend years hunting with them and put in a hell of alot of time training them, especially back then before there was this Whisper mastery. Always a deep wound when you lose one to a bug etc :(.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Weird things can happen, though....

In the first year or two of AoS, there was an event in Trinsic on Lake Austin. The attendance and demon spawn levels were insane. I didn't have time to switch from my beetle to my swampie, and died on the Paladin album. I tried for several minutes to get out, dead, before I was telestormed to Cove. I got rezzed, then returned to Trinsic as the event was waning. I couldn't find my beetle, and my followers were at 0. I can't remember if I even managed to get my body before it decayed. I replaced the beetle with another, and gave it the same name.

Almost two years later, I have a new guild, new friends, and more. I'm out doing low-level t-maps with my beetle, when one of my guildmates calls me, and tells me that he sees my beetle in Cove, dead, way up on the mountain behind the buildings. I tell them that I have my beetle with me, but they insist they are seeing it.

I go to Cove, and there's a beetle ghost up on the mountain, only barely visible. I'm riding my replacement beetle. I say "All Follow Me", and the ghost beetle jumps down the mountain to my side, and suddenly my control slots read 6/5. I can't do anything with it. I have one of my friend's vet rez the ghost, and suddenly I have two beetles.

So, I trade them the beetle, switch characters, and have them trade the beetle to my mage, who then feeds it, and bonds it. I still have it to this day.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

In the first year or two of AoS, there was an event in Trinsic on Lake Austin. The attendance and demon spawn levels were insane. I didn't have time to switch from my beetle to my swampie, and died on the Paladin album. I tried for several minutes to get out, dead, before I was telestormed to Cove. I got rezzed, then returned to Trinsic as the event was waning. I couldn't find my beetle, and my followers were at 0. I can't remember if I even managed to get my body before it decayed. I replaced the beetle with another, and gave it the same name.

Almost two years later, I have a new guild, new friends, and more. I'm out doing low-level t-maps with my beetle, when one of my guildmates calls me, and tells me that he sees my beetle in Cove, dead, way up on the mountain behind the buildings. I tell them that I have my beetle with me, but they insist they are seeing it.

I go to Cove, and there's a beetle ghost up on the mountain, only barely visible. I'm riding my replacement beetle. I say "All Follow Me", and the ghost beetle jumps down the mountain to my side, and suddenly my control slots read 6/5. I can't do anything with it. I have one of my friend's vet rez the ghost, and suddenly I have two beetles.

So, I trade them the beetle, switch characters, and have them trade the beetle to my mage, who then feeds it, and bonds it. I still have it to this day.

THIS is the feel good story of the decade!!!!!!!

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the response. Checked the stables wasn't there and zero followers so I don't think I'll page. I'm sure I was mounted when logged but maybe I wasn't, live and learn I guess. I probably had it for 10+ years never lost a pet I had so long:sad3:. Anyway thanks again.
Lost the best Dread Mare I ever owned to this, I feel your Pain :sad4:

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One big question for everyone losing pets, when did you logout of the game? Was it anywhere near server down? There is still a bit of a time warp to do with the shard backup so you can get some odd behavior if you logout too close to server down.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This deserves some spooky halloween style legend about the beetle that haunted the mountains of Cove....

JohnnyO

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lost the best Dread Mare I ever owned to this, I feel your Pain :sad4:
One big question for everyone losing pets, when did you logout of the game? Was it anywhere near server down? There is still a bit of a time warp to do with the shard backup so you can get some odd behavior if you logout too close to server down.
Can't remember when I logged out, I think I must have just logged while dismounted. Hadn't even thought about it til today but I probably had a bunch of stuff in it as well. It's like adding insult to injury. :gee: