• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(RP) Lords and Ladies of the Medieval Court of Baja.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In August I suggested the Townships of Baja (e.g. Golden, Dawn, Horseshoe, Berg) should gather each month in the manner of Chesapeake and Lake Superior. That each town could send delegates to a centralized and neutral location to discuss Trade Agreements and Matters of War.

You can view the original suggestion here.

I have since changed my mind. We are a Medieval shard better suited to Middle Age reconstruction and Feudal governance than imitations of Chesapeake and Lake Superior.

Instead of a Township Summit - a strictly political enterprise based more on the tropes and idioms of the United Nations than Medieval European Culture - I suggest we instead hold a Medieval Court. With all the associated etiquette and rituals.

To those unfamiliar with the term, the Court of a monarch or nobleman was an event in which his or her servants and guests would attend the Lord of a Region or Castle. To a monarch most of these were advisors or diplomats. It was through Court that much of the surrounding realm would be governed. It was also the center of High Culture. Court was the closest thing to Medieval Social Networking.

To Baja this would be a gathering of Lords and Diplomats at a centralized and neutral location in which each could exchange thoughts, alliances can be formed and broken, and political intrigues could flourish.

It wouldn't be a strictly political gathering. You could bring an artisan seeking the patronage of a Lord or Lady. There would be musicians, dancing, and food so that it would have the air of a Tavern Night but the purpose of a Township Summit. The evening would end with a banquet and a toast from the Lord of the Castle.

Because this event was inspired by the Count of Berg I suggest this be hosted by the Count and Countess at Castle Berg if available. I can imagine characters such as Magdalena Canzione [QSA] and Inga Bjurnfude [Gold] doing the catering and serving. Characters such as Master Heathard [Gold] could provide entertainment. Happy Fool [MT] could play the Jester.

The Lords and Ladies of the Realm - whether recognized townships or smaller enterprises such as Knighthoods and Trading Companies - would be invited to attend and share in the festivities (and intrigues) of this regular gathering.

Thoughts?

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Count me in. Looks like I need to work on some one-man performances. In fact, I need to do more of those, in general. That is the troubadour code, after all.

O Horatio....

C

Count of Berg

It would be our honor to host any meeting or continuing series of meetings at our home. Our home is of course open to any who seek a forum whether or not Berg may have an immediate interest in those affairs. Be these gatherings a Royal Court, I would be duty bound to offer all my hospitality to the Crown.
Be these gatherings Landed Courts, Manor Courts, Academic, Cultural or other, all may also enjoy our hospitality but I do ask that a herald be sent ahead to coordinate such affairs with the Lady of the Castle, so that I am assured a war party is not approaching.
If these meetings are to be full courts I would ask all Nobles and their attending staff to follow proper protocol to insure a respectful and delightful evening. Agenda, proper attire, dance cards, etc, etc, etc.
I noted the generous offer of craftsmen and servants in aid of hosting these gatherings. However, I must insist proper protocol be followed in that any of the working class first secure the consent of their Lord and Lady. I could not think of putting out my cousin nobles of their comforts for our own purposes. Although I might spend a hefty sum of our treasury to secure the services of Magdalena Canzione and Inga Bjurnfude, I am not sure starting an armed conflict with their Lord and Lady would be a noble pursuit.
The house would welcome all bards and entertainers. Just a few weekends ago we were enraptured for hours by the likes of Leileo, James, DixieLoneStar, Tarrin, Adam, Peter Terrant and Master Heathard. And we know there must be countless others that would like the opportunity to have their voices heard.
The County of Berg's house sign welcomes all and will always do so.

Warmly,

The Count of Berg

I

Ivan - MT

I passed your post WardenDragon over to our forums so Happy Fool can see it, I don't believe he views these boards regularly.

Brytt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Inga Bjurnfude reminded me that any patron of Golden who considers her their subject is likely to next be seen in public sporting bruises.

While Golden's council would represent our township on a geopolitical level, I don't think any of us think of ourselves as nobility in a social class system. However, as entertainers, we might have been granted honorary lord/ladyships simply as a favoured performance troupe and liquor merchants of the true nobles.

This can fit in fine within the framework of a Medieval Court. Think of it like Thanksgiving Dinner, there would probably be some kind of "kids table" for the distinguished townsfolk and entertainers. That's where we fit in.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very good.

I propose the first such event be held in Late November / December. We would develop a reason the Britannians host their own Thanksgiving Feast. Thus the Banquet.

Perhaps a tale related to the Breaking of the World or the Ascension of Cantabrigian. Thoughts?