• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking of a UO alternative or a similar game to supplement UO? Check out Linkrealms

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This would be a great topic for our Off Topic subforum, as it has nothing to do with UO!

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This would be a great topic for our Off Topic subforum, as it has nothing to do with UO!
It has plenty to do with UO. Go look at the game. It is probably the closest improved clone to date and has the potential to be better than UO since it has current code and has nothing to do with EA's shenanigans.

Ultimately its about playing a game and having fun . The UO that vets played is long dead and gone.

No one is fixing the account problems.

No one wants to fix the scripting issue as it will kill subs even though they can very easily.

I am sure I am not the only one who would love to see UO redone by a team that gives a dam.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well, the colors are brighter than UO but less believable to me
Otherwise I don't know how you could possibly know anything about gameplay from watching a few cartoons

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The colors are hurtful to the eyes ... really high intensity! The somewhat gliding walk is alive and well I see.

But ... and this is rare, so mark this date well. I agree with Aran ... this thread is more suited to OT. While we can compare the game to UO, it is not a UO-based topic.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
How many of you would visit a General Gaming Forum? (we need fewer forums not more) See... off topic to me is that a lot of people seem to be quitting cable and satellite tv.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
...The UO that vets played is long dead and gone... I am sure I am not the only one who would love to see UO redone by a team that gives a dam.
1. UO is not "dead and gone", and vets are probably the reason it's still here.
2. I believe the team does care very much. They are a small, under-funded team who are doing what they can to keep UO going.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many of you would visit a General Gaming Forum? (we need fewer forums not more) See... off topic to me is that a lot of people seem to be quitting cable and satellite tv.
I visit multiple general gaming forums.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
You missed the point.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remind me again the maximum number of players on a server at any one time? Is it 64?
Thats still probably more than most of the shards on UO currently :D

What is the maximum number of players per ‘shard’?

We want to be sure that ‘shards’ are easy enough for anyone to run and small enough for them to be run on almost any computer. The 64 player limit mentioned in previous interviews is only the number we are sure we will be able to support at this early stage in development and will likely increase between now and alpha. Clusters, on the other hand, will support much larger numbers by connecting ‘shards’ together. This is what separates Shards Online from other player-run games by allowing thousands of players to play in the same player-run universe simultaneously.

Morbeous

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Linkrealms look awful. Looks like its a game project. Even flash based games look better than this. I would suggest Shards online for a true game like UO. At least that looks modern and plays well too. Oh and I have played both games by the way

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats still probably more than most of the shards on UO currently :D

What is the maximum number of players per ‘shard’?

We want to be sure that ‘shards’ are easy enough for anyone to run and small enough for them to be run on almost any computer. The 64 player limit mentioned in previous interviews is only the number we are sure we will be able to support at this early stage in development and will likely increase between now and alpha. Clusters, on the other hand, will support much larger numbers by connecting ‘shards’ together. This is what separates Shards Online from other player-run games by allowing thousands of players to play in the same player-run universe simultaneously.
Yeah that's what I thought. That's the end of it for me. 64 players? Joke.

One thing I will grant to Shards Online is that it really has captured the UO EC feeling of skating on ice when you move. Crap.

Briken

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been several UO reboot/copy attempts but all have failed. For how early the game is claiming to be in, it shows great promise.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the concept looks good but from what if read it's not open world. It's a bunch of linked zones that you have to find that transit points between. And also a complete gank fest the second you step outside of a beginner zone. Combine that with the hideous garish graphics and I'll give it a miss.

Shame really as the basics looked decent. I'll stick to Black Desert Online and Albion Online.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SotA is the next version of UO. They have even recreated Pax Lair. Biggest problem I see with it is you need a Newer PC. That and you have to have deep pockets. $50 just for a basic home.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would say shards online is shaping up to be more like a "next UO" than shroud of the avatar.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just watched some videos about Shards . It would be a contender if Cidatel can make it of the ground. The kickstarter fund is not alot of money video game company. Then again look at all the people that went nuts over Mine Craft.

With how EA cut the Development Team down to 1/3 of what it was with SA. It's time to start looking for the next game. This is just my opinion UO probably has another two to three good years left in it. Arena Net has kept Guild Wars running with 1 person overseeing the game.

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I have no predictions for the outcome of uo. I will say with as little money as I spent and as many hours of enjoyment I got out of it, I can let it go happily enough. I will always have a fond spot in my mindfor the game, it was one of the few I enjoyed enough to invite people to play it. That being said I think it got me at just that right time to have such an impact on me, and other games have not engaged me in such a way since. And many of the 'classical' keep em paying 'n playing techniques of the industry do not apply to UO, but they still tried it, like low % drop rates, gear treadmill, etc.. but the gear was not what got me about uo. It was literally a little recreation of fantasy life.. got tired of romancing a digital hottie, or get mad at them go grab a beat stick and kill some ogres, and place a 7x7 by the sea, and sell some recall scrolls for a little recurring income. Meet back up with your ex digi hottie and tell them how stupid u were back in the early 2000s.. just the total tasty randomness. No real structure to it, no real sense to be had in it. PvP totally optional unless you feel u need a powerscroll and don't want to pay for it. The nearly limitless scope of the game is what got me. Build a house, betray your guild, build up your guild, lead hunts, kill someone because they robbed u, learn how to make weapons and armor, sell your wares, corner markets, dress however u want. Solo hunt, guild hunt. Share spoils however u want. No real outside structure. and the bit that I found like how items drop in pack can be worked around, like I used to hunt melisande with friends and if I got a cc, or a hatchet I'd ask around if someone needed, or sell it, no soul bound no obstacle to getting peoplegear if they needed help. i never betrayed my guilds, but i know a bunch of people get their kicks causing drama, I just rather run with people I can give my all with and for the most part uo is generally comprised of these types. But the few who do rob from their homies have made their niche within the game, and I begrudge them none either. Everybody plays as they want, riding whatever hot new template or going totally bizzaro mage/blacksmith swordsman. And the game accommodates just about everybody. No such business in almost all other mmorpgs. I suppose to many it is a weakness also. I dunno, until I see a real deal 'successor' to hi in that sense, I'll never get into another online game like this one. I'm jabbering, but i just enjoy uo. Loved uo

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the game window of Linkrealms, but I dislike the UI

I like the UI of Shards online, but I dislike the Colors and Designs.

SothA looks nice, but is no option for me, as I will never play other than isometric 2D-games.

Over a decade ago there was a game, that made everything perfect. IF there was ever a design and UI that would have been the ideal solution for UO, it was Baldur´s Gate/Icewind Dale.

Last edited:

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the game window of Linkrealms, but I dislike the UI

I like the UI of Shards online, but I dislike the Colors and Designs.

SothA looks nice, but is no option for me, as I will never play other than isometric 2D-games.

Over a decade ago there was a game, that made everything perfect. IF there was ever a design and UI that would have been the ideal solution for UO, it was Baldur´s Gate/Neverwinter Nights.
Du hast Icewind Dale vergessen ;)

arkiu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I strongly suggest looking into Elderlands. Its a top down 2d game with retro graphics, a fantastic UI, seemingly lots of content, and a pretty awesome Dev (Lothgar). He is very active with the community and seems to take suggestions/answer questions very rapidly. I asked him several general questions regarding the game and he answered all of them very thoroughly within an hour or two. I believe they are shooting for an August release but it may be pushed back a little, and the game has been in development for 8 years? At least that is as far back as some of the forum posts go on the website (Elderlands). I was able to get into Beta but I'm not positive its open yet - there has been no official open beta announcement as far as I know.