• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking for training tips for Magery...

G

I havent made a new Mage character since 8x8 training was around and you needed regs to do so. So before I start training skills, Id just like to know what methods are being used today for training Magery.

I

imported_GFY

Best way IMHO is to find a 100% poison mage weapon with -29 or so magery. Then go fight a golem. Make sure the weapon skill your using is locked down so you gain magery not weapon skill.

You can also try ole' school mage training. Put some pieces of cheap armor with high LRC together to reach 100. Find a crystal ball, snow globe, or a pet summoning ball. Then go out and cast spells on the ball that are about 20 points below your level. (4th level spells at 60, etc.)

If you can find a 100% poisoning, mage weapon, with spell channelling, you can combine the 2 methods and gain even faster.

G

You can just target a spell book in your backpack. I usually equip a -29 spell chanelling mage weapon and cast lower circle spells.

G

Once u get to higher skill another trick besides -29 wand is to go by Swoop and get the Satyr to discord you. I usually run in throw a spell back off (try to lure out of desert if in) and cast invis once he discords you invis so he stops attacking then just follow him around, as long as you stay close by him you seem to stay discorded for a long time. Great for training skills at high levels if you knock them back to low level good gain areas instead.

I

imported_GFY

Another tip:

As you get closer to the 720 skill cap you'll gain slower. If you soulstone a skill or 2 you can gain much faster. For best results keep skill cap below 300

K

Kith Kanan

good lrc, lmc, mr suit and vampire form , then energy field on self until done

I

imported_ElRay

<blockquote><hr>

Best way IMHO is to find a 100% poison mage weapon with -29 or so magery. Then go fight a golem. Make sure the weapon skill your using is locked down so you gain magery not weapon skill.

[/ QUOTE ]

when using this method it doesnt matter if your weaponskill is turned up or not, the only skill that will be raised is magery

I know this because im gaining magery right now with my wep skill turned up

B

Bill Gates

I tried the 100% poison damage mage weapon a few nights ago and beat on a golem after having it guard me and I could NOT get it to work.
My char is in a guild, the golem was green and I was outside of town protection. What was I doing wrong? I would really appreciate any help you can offer!

I

imported_GFY

Leave the guild to train.

You could try training in Fel but I think you need to be unguilded.

Alagos Galadrim

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I tried the 100% poison damage mage weapon a few nights ago and beat on a golem after having it guard me and I could NOT get it to work. My char is in a guild, the golem was green and I was outside of town protection. What was I doing wrong? I would really appreciate any help you can offer!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a guess....is your magery over 70? I believe you have to be higher than 70 to train on the golem - and I believe the golem must be made by a GM tinker.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Leave the guild to train.

You could try training in Fel but I think you need to be unguilded.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. You need to be in a guild so the golem will take "damage" to gain. Since it's a 100% poison weapon, the golem will take very little damage. In order to gain in a skill, a creature/player must be able to take damage.

I've trained several weapon skills with a golem (some to 120) and I can confirm I have always been in a guild. Won't work if your not.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I tried the 100% poison damage mage weapon a few nights ago and beat on a golem after having it guard me and I could NOT get it to work. My char is in a guild, the golem was green and I was outside of town protection. What was I doing wrong? I would really appreciate any help you can offer!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a guess....is your magery over 70? I believe you have to be higher than 70 to train on the golem - and I believe the golem must be made by a GM tinker.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is also wrong. It's 80 weapon skill to be able to gain off a GM crafted golem. Keep in mind if your using a mage weapon to gain magery off a GM crafted golem, your "displayed" skill will need to be 80 or higher magery.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

In order to gain in a skill, a creature/player must be able to take damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoting myself for the win!

The one exception to this is what is known as "blue pet training". Pets will gain magery, eval, and meditation from casting on each other whether or not you are guilded and they are taking damage or not. They will NOT gain in melee skills though, i.e. wrestle, tactics, anatomy unless they are taking damage from each other. But from casting spells they will gain magery skills like any other player/creature would.

NeXeD LeGeNd

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
best way to train magery =)

This takes a while and you need a friend.

Get a tamer friend to start taming cu sidhes and dropping em on a boat that is right next to your boat. Quite litterally the more cu sidhes the better. Go in wraith form! Then all you gotta do is chain lightning the crap out of them.

T

talith

<blockquote><hr>

Another tip:

As you get closer to the 720 skill cap you'll gain slower. If you soulstone a skill or 2 you can gain much faster. For best results keep skill cap below 300

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this because of the GGS gains only, or do all gains get slower as you near the skill cap. Reason i ask is i am near my skill cap, and if i can make all gains come faster by stoning some skills, thats what i will do.

E

eolsunder1

Easiest way..

Have as high mana regen as possible. mana regen suit, med, focus, lich form with wisp.

cast spells to train on yourself up to a med-high level, like 70-80. equipt spell channeling mage weapon to lower your magery down. repeat. Then go to satyrs in twisted wield and have them discord you. The combination discord/mage weapon will let you train up faster.

Also, eating a magery PS will let you train lower levels much faster. If you have one, use it right away. If you can afford one, buy a nice one (110 or 115's ) arent super expensive.