• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking for Archer help(template)

R

RedMan99

Ive played mage/tamer bard/tamer in all my time in UO and Im looking to expand my play to an archer and was just woundering what kind of builds are good... Mostly for PvM. Also what kinds of bows/gear I should use. Thanks:confused:

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A combination of archery and chivalry is nice or with Bushido.
Don't leave home without a good slayer bow. Super slayers are prefered ofcourse. I like the Horselord. Got double slayer on it. Thats a big group of monster to use against it.

A all 70 resist suit is always right. Virtue armor can help unless you want alot of extra dexterity.

R

RedMan99

Yea i was thinking of:

Tactis 110
Archery 110
anatomy 110
Healing 100
Reists 100
Chiv 80?

that would give me about 110 pts left any ideas?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How about Bushido and Chivalry? Might do a big impact of damage if you use Bushido moves with Enemy of One.

Or Maybe Focus to regain mana faster for spells. Unless you rely on jewelry for that.

B

Balian of Asgard

Yea i was thinking of:

Tactis 110
Archery 110
anatomy 110
Healing 100
Reists 100
Chiv 80?

ABC
120 arch
120 bush
80 chiv
110 tac
110 anat
100 heal

D

Downfall

What to look for in a bow:
Swing Speed Increase (a must have)
Damage Increase
Hit Spell

E

envinyatar

What to look for in a bow:
Swing Speed Increase (a must have)
Damage Increase
Hit Spell
I like to use a shortbow (cause its fast) with mana leech, hit lightning or fireball, and high ssi and di. But, those above me are right to say that slayers are the best. Since the Ophidians started dropping the turn-in items again, I have been there alot and my Ophid slayer bow is really paying off. I also use chiv and bushido.

115 anat
115 arch
115 tact
100 bush (will be 110)
100 chiv
100 heal

S

Solikos

115 anat
115 arch
115 tact
100 bush (will be 110)
100 chiv
100 heal
*Bump*

I'm considering changing up my Paladin's build for something along these lines. However, isn't spell resistance pretty handy? To a lesser extent, what about Focus? You use 100 Chivalry, but is that really needed as it doesn't actually make spells tougher, just better chance to cast?

What about something like:

120 Archery
120 Tactics
110 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Spell Resist
100 Bushido
50 Chivalry (or 70 with 720 skills)

Thanks,

~ Solikos

Nyses

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea i was thinking of:

Tactis 110
Archery 110
anatomy 110
Healing 100
Reists 100
Chiv 80?

I am a big fan of Focus, for the mana as well as the Stamina, it midigates the need to constantly use divine fury for Stam.

My favorite PvM Archer looks like this:

Archery 110 to 120 preferably
Tactics 110 at least
Anat 110 at least
Healing 100
Resist 100 at least
Chiv 80 ish
Focus 80 or 100

Basic but works great for nearly all PvM, including Doom.

C

Connor_Graham

This is my current build, and is maxxed out on damage output. Bows you want to use are Heavy Crossbow and Regular Crossbow, with Mana Leech as a requirement on any bow you go with. Mana Regen 6 at least is recommended for the suit, along with max LMC.

120 Archery
120 Bushido
120 Tactics
95 Anatomy
100 Healing (use enhanced bandages for 110 Heal amounts)
90 Resist
75 Chiv

S

Solikos

I've noticed that only about half of the templates here use Spell Resistance, and very few use Focus (but have high mana leech equipment demands). How important is Spell Resistance for a PvM Archer (assuming you will be fighting a wide range of monsters and raid high end stuff)?

120 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Bushido
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Focus or Spell Resist
60 Chivalry
(= 720 Total)

So what is more important in this PvM build, Spell Resistance or Focus?

I guess it boils down to a classic archery dilemma... Just how fragile can the Glass Cannon go?

Thanks,

~ Solikos

C

Connor_Graham

IMO Resist is a must have for an archer for the sole reason that archery has the slowest weapons in the game and every magic casting monster will hit you with either curse or clumsy right off the bat. Without Resist your swing speed goes to crap. I don't recommend Focus at all, especially after the last nerf to mana regen.

F

flogsta

How about this?

archery 120
anat 100
chiv 80
healing 100
tactics 100
music 100
peace 100

if you have 720 skill limit, the remaining 20 could be distributed as you like it.

S

Solikos

So I've been working on my template:

120 Archery
100 Tactics
100 Anatomy
100 Healing
100 Resist
120 Bushido
60 Chivalry

So far I've only got about 60 Bushido, but it doesn't seem to help much. Why is this such a high recommendation? Honoring opponents is neat the first couple times, then it just becomes another step in the process. Additionally, perfection never builds up over 3 due to a miss here and there which drains it back to zero. I assume that will get better as I near GM archery, but even then I'll be fighting tougher monsters that will be harder to hit. Some of the 'spells' seem melee based as well and require you to parry. Finishing moves are fairly useless most of the time, though I assume that is situational. That leaves Lightening Strike which I use as often as I can because it's the only skill that almost seems useful. With that said, why is Bushido worth 120 points? Pardon my wealth of ignorance, but can someone please enlighten me here?

Thanks,

~ Solikos

E

eolsunder

Ok a few answers since I play a bushido/paladin archer.

Bushido is good for archers for a couple reasons. 1) The main reason is honoring monsters so you do extra damage. This in itself is the MAIN reason for having bushido on a archer. In fact its much more important than having tactics except in rare situations. Solo hunting, Honor/bushido is infinitely better than having high tactics.

2nd, you can use lightning strike to increase damage occasionally. This works very well if you have decent mana regen due to weapon/armor. HCI plus the rare chance of more damage. That rare crit hit really increases damage on some foes.

Other than that, bushido isn't used for much else, even though a few powers can benefit you, but the main 2 are honoring and lightning strike. Bushido on archers is all offensive, no defense. You will greatly notice alot more damage vs foes when using honor/lightning strike in conjunction with your paladin abilities. But note, this build is greatly MANA intensive, especially since they nerfed both bow mana leech, plus mana regen suits for warriors.

120 archery (a must)
100 tactcs
100 healing
100 anatomy
100 resist
100 bushido
80 chivalry

This is a great basic layout for a archer/paladin samurai. You can get some catagories higher with items/age/adjustment. After this, work on raising bushido and chivalry up. tactics and anatomy don't need any more unless you are going for a specialized doom/peerless group archer. Tactics and anatomy over 100 provide a minimal damage boost compared to 120/120. Much better to have your bushido and chivalry up. You might even want tactics at 90 until you get higher in max skill levels.

The perfect layout would be close to

120 archery
120 bushido
100 tactics
100 healing
100 anatomy
100 resist
100 chivalry

so get as close to that as possible.

Now, as to focus. Focus would help you alot in this template, but sadly its a very tight template and focus isnt usually used. But you have to make sure you have a bow with high mana leech, plus a mana regen suit. Even with this you will be short on mana alot. If you switch focus for resist, your regens are a little better but you are easily smacked around with curses/poisons/paralyzes. A huge difference if you don't have any resists. I suggest keeping the resists.

M

Mythic

120 archery
120 tactics
120 anatomy
105 resist(jeweled to 120)
100 meditation
90 healing
65 chivalry

All weapons have an SSI of 40%(repeaters and shorts need only enough ssi to swing at cap, 10% and 25% respectavly for me)
HLA or HLD above 40%
Hitspell above 40%(preferably fireball or lightning)
DI is a bonus

full 70s suit, mr, stamina inc, LMC

But Im the oddball here i guess, everyone swears by these ABC archers. spose i should stone med and try bush. then again this temp doesnt really excel at PvM.

M

Mythic

The perfect layout would be close to

120 archery
120 bushido
100 tactics
100 healing
100 anatomy
100 resist
100 chivalry

QUOTE]

I see some minor adjustmensts here(other then the math being off a good 20 points)
120 archery
120 bushido
120 tactics
gm anatomy
gm resist
90 healing
70 chivalry
Darn quote not workin heh

E

eolsunder

I know the math is off a big, 740 points for that, thats why i said "as close to this as possible"

Again you don't need tactics at 120. Simply use the tactics/anatomy charts and you will see the minimal damage 120 tactics gives over 100. Same with anatomy. You will do alot better having your other skills up more. I have chivalry at about 85 and its still annoying with certain abilities getting them to take effect.

The only reason to take tactics/anatomy to 120 is if your making a maximum damage group hunter for peerless/doom to try for high damage rights, but you can probably benefit with a melee/samurai alot more they tend to be able to dish out more damage faster.

M

Mythic

I also didnt take into account the fact you might have been suggesting that jewelry or armour be used to add additonal skill points.
But I should point out that the template I gave as example is that of a PvP template. and I thouroughly enjoy Meditation on this charector, just cant seem to bring myself to drop it or stone it

then again this temp doesnt really excel at PvM.
As far as 120 tact, Ill always take it to 120 if its on any of my templates

And sorry for the next part its a little off topic but It could be benificial information for Redman, you may have heard a lot of people tell you that MR can replace meditation or focus on a template, that meditation has been nerfed, or whatever aye, but heres the deal. As I understand it (and I usually have a good understanding of things) They have removed the MR cap(used to be 18) on items, However for each additonal point of MR its effects are lessened somewhat on a scale like uh hooterbug(dam my mind just went phooey, my vocabulary isnt what it used to be)And furthermore that Meditation and Focus would make the MR property you have more effective.
Theres some MR, Int, Med, Focus formula that I dont remember or know exactly how to explain. Im sure someone has the link somwewhere(dont remeber it either):coco:

E

eolsunder

cap is still on, but mana regen on armor is now dependent on your meditation level (and focus i think also) . So warriors who nomally don't use any meditation or focus (due to class/skills) are nerfed alot, almost down to 1/2 strength compared to what they were. Combined with the nerf to mana leech on bows, archer warriors who need lots of mana (paladin/bushidos, etc) have a hard time getting it back.

You definitely need a high mana leech bow, and a great mana regen suit to do well now as a paladin/bushido archer. There are a couple other ways to regain mana (honoring, necro wraith form), and maybe even going vampire for a tiny bit.

Don't do pvp much, but i assume a pvp archer is not going to have bushido at all on their template, since honoring and lightining strike, not so valuable in pvp on a archer. And they will have resist at 120. Probably most choose ninja archers in pvp. I would only have bushido on a pvm archer which can benefit from the damage more.

pvm archer. bushido
pvp archer.. ninjitsu

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pvm archer. bushido
pvp archer.. ninjitsu
Incorrect.

I have a bush/chiv archer with just enough necro to use items to get into vampiric embrace.

Nothing quite like using a magical shortbow and doing 35 dmg crits + hit delay spell at max swing speed even when I'm at 1/2 stamina, not to mention 4/6 chiv healing and casting confidence when running away. Plus you can ride a lesser hiryu.

It depends on your play style and how you like to fight.

I use this template for factions and pvm. Ending stats after items comes to be 110 hitpoints, 155 stamina, 95 mana

120 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Bushido
115 Resist
35 Necro (to get into vamp embrace)
110 Med
100 Chiv

M

Mythic

cap is still on
according to the developers they have removed the hard cap on MR

Don't do pvp much, but i assume a pvp archer is not going to have bushido at all on their template, since honoring and lightining strike, not so valuable in pvp on a archer. And they will have resist at 120. Probably most choose ninja archers in pvp. I would only have bushido on a pvm archer which can benefit from the damage more.
Lightning strike, Evasion(even without parry) and Confidence. PvP archers(the majority) swear by ABC