• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking for advice on +skill items 760 pt Tamer/Mage (part time T Hunter)

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Trying to find the best way to end up with :

Fulltime Skills Desired

120 - Taming, Lore, Vet
100 - Magery, Meditation

Swappable(Skills)

100 - Evaluate Intelligence, Resist Spells (Cartography, Lockpicking)

Swapping would be done with soulstones. I have crafters, so making items like +skill jewelry is no problem.

I found a Travesty with Lore/Taming but it is pretty expensive, although it would make it easy to build a more powerful suit. A scrapper with Magery/Med also occured for an idea. Then I have pts for Birds of Britannia Talisman, but there are much more useful talismans.

Can you run effectively with 115/115 Taming Lore? I see people not even using Resist Spells, would that be since a Tamer, I should not be getting hit much anyway? Mainly seeking item, suit building advice, but willing to listen to "your template sucks try this instead".

Edit 1 - Forgot to include that I wanted to use Novo/Etoile Bleue Set for luck boost and 2/6, since I already have the set. Can not see how to do it reasonably, so I think I am looking at Tome of Knowledge? (+15 Magery spellbook), and skills on rings. Losing only 10 luck overall, since I was going to use Spellwoven Britches for some Med help.

I do not see 100 Med as a MUST; Running 110 Taming is fine unless I run low on stable slots, I only need 120 for best chance to tame... and I planned on Honor Taming anyway.

Sound ok?

-Loren

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aside from swapping out for T-Hunting, what do you want to use the tamer for? PvP? PvM? Alot of solo hunting or are you usually with a group of players? PvM what do you like to hunt? What pets do you run, Greater Dragon? Dreadmare?

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Aside from swapping out for T-Hunting, what do you want to use the tamer for? PvP? PvM? Alot of solo hunting or are you usually with a group of players? PvM what do you like to hunt? What pets do you run, Greater Dragon? Dreadmare?
I do not run any pets yet. Have no idea what I would ultimately do when not Tmapping. I run my mage now as a T Hunter, and can only do L6 or L7 if they are Malas maps. Just looking to expand options, and saw the difference in typical PvM Mage Tamer and T Hunter Tamer was swapping out the 2 skills.

I do not PvP.

So thats: PvM, Solo, just about anything in Ilshenar, no pets yet.

Loren

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here would be my suggestion for a PvM tamer...

Race: Gargoyle
Pet: Greater Dragon or Beetle/Mare Combo

Skills:
Magery 85 base + 15 Tomb of Lost Knowledge = 100 Magery.
Taming 105 base + 5 Birds of Brit talisman = 110 Taming. (99% control chance on suggested pets. Swap out for skill jewels to tame when needed)
Lore 105 base + 5 Birds of Brit talisman = 110 Lore
Vet 100 base (see note below regarding treasure hunting)
Music 120
Discord 120
Med 85 base

Base skill = 720

Personally I find that the overall damage output of my pets against a discorded mob is greater than my damage output of my pet and my mage with eval against a non-discorded mob.

For treasure hunting you can swap out your 100 vet for 100 cartography and decode the maps and find the locations. Mark runes for each spot then swap out the vet for lock picking.

Suit
This leaves open the option to use the luck jewelry set. I would skip the spell woven britches (to me the big draw of swb is the SDI which doesnt help much without eval int) even though they can be altered for a gargoyle. I would focus on 100 LRC, 40 LMC, +25 hit point increase, Max mana regen and + mana increase. With 85 med and 20+ mana regen you should be more than fine on mana.

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Here would be my suggestion for a PvM tamer...

Race: Gargoyle
Pet: Greater Dragon or Beetle/Mare Combo

Skills:
Magery 85 base + 15 Tomb of Lost Knowledge = 100 Magery.
Taming 105 base + 5 Birds of Brit talisman = 110 Taming. (99% control chance on suggested pets. Swap out for skill jewels to tame when needed)
Lore 105 base + 5 Birds of Brit talisman = 110 Lore
Vet 100 base (see note below regarding treasure hunting)
Music 120
Discord 120
Med 85 base

Base skill = 720

Personally I find that the overall damage output of my pets against a discorded mob is greater than my damage output of my pet and my mage with eval against a non-discorded mob.

For treasure hunting you can swap out your 100 vet for 100 cartography and decode the maps and find the locations. Mark runes for each spot then swap out the vet for lock picking.

Suit
This leaves open the option to use the luck jewelry set. I would skip the spell woven britches (to me the big draw of swb is the SDI which doesnt help much without eval int) even though they can be altered for a gargoyle. I would focus on 100 LRC, 40 LMC, +25 hit point increase, Max mana regen and + mana increase. With 85 med and 20+ mana regen you should be more than fine on mana.
Thank you for such a detailed response. Pardon a few noob questions:

Why specifically a garg?
So 100 Vet is fine for heals then?

Looks very tweakable, could always change 1 slot and go up to 115/115 + Birds, or, use a different Talisman.
Gives me a lot to think about. I had not considered going Bard/Tamer/Mage. Only thing I can see going wrong here is having to do Disco twice (ugh) since project #2 is a Archer/Bard ... maybe I will do that one Peace/Provo... could always swap for Disco... hmm.

-Loren

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you for such a detailed response. Pardon a few noob questions:

Why specifically a garg?
So 100 Vet is fine for heals then?

Looks very tweakable, could always change 1 slot and go up to 115/115 + Birds, or, use a different Talisman.
Gives me a lot to think about. I had not considered going Bard/Tamer/Mage. Only thing I can see going wrong here is having to do Disco twice (ugh) since project #2 is a Archer/Bard ... maybe I will do that one Peace/Provo... could always swap for Disco... hmm.

-Loren
I think you will find 100 vet is more than enough for most single mobs, especially once they are discorded. For instances where 100 vet is having a hard time keeping up (crowds of mobs) you can always supplement with magery and heal.
I prefer gargoyles for the ability to fly (move at mounted speed) when hunting with 5 pet slots. I tried the elf route at first, but OMG I hated walking!

The ability to swap out bard skill could also aid you. For really high level maps it can be nice to provoke the mobs on each other and use the pets to finish off at the end. The down side of this approach is that when you fail to incite anger, they come after you.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I prefer to do my t-hunting with a character with Mystic/Magery/Focus/Spellweaving/Mining/Lockpicking/Cartography.

I run 100 mystic with +15 on jewels, 100 magery for gate travel, 120 focus for max power on mystic spells, 110 spellweaving for arcane empowerment, 89.1 mining, 100 lockpicking and 100 carto.
With this build and a level 4 focus, I can solo level 6/7 maps on pretty much any facet. I prefer not to deal with Ish and Toku maps due to the local spawn, which make their return not worth the trouble of digging those maps.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I prefer to do my t-hunting with a character with Mystic/Magery/Focus/Spellweaving/Mining/Lockpicking/Cartography.

I run 100 mystic with +15 on jewels, 100 magery for gate travel, 120 focus for max power on mystic spells, 110 spellweaving for arcane empowerment, 89.1 mining, 100 lockpicking and 100 carto.
With this build and a level 4 focus, I can solo level 6/7 maps on pretty much any facet. I prefer not to deal with Ish and Toku maps due to the local spawn, which make their return not worth the trouble of digging those maps.
If you have a Locker you can ditch the mining and use the locker for the map coordinates and open yourself up some skill points there. Even with no mining, it gets you within like a 15x15 tile plot that is very easy to grid out and get the map.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
My oldest account just turned 3 years old, so getting a locker is out of question for a looooong while. :)
Everyone else at Legends is saving their picks for shard shields too, so buying one in the market would be just as hard. :p

I wouldn't need it too much since with the EC, I usually find the exact spot of the chest in very few tries, but you know... I am too lazy to drop that skills and use those points elsewhere. XD

Darius Bloodbain

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
There's not really a wrong way on tweaking your template and trying something new, or something
that will work to your advantage. My nephew has a Peace tamer. I have a pure mage tamer. we both have soul stones so we can try different things if we so desire. I scrolled my guys magery up to 120 and pack a tome of lost knowledge, so when i don't have a pet in tow, I can throw Ev's without chance to fail. I take it that when you change up to treasure hunting, you are going to use a pet to dispatch the chest guardians.
That works well, especially when doing chests alone.
I been using Mystic skill on my t-hunter as of late, and that works pretty well also.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When it comes to boosting skills on your tamer, I'd always recommend that you boost less important skills like meditation rather than taming. Two reasons - first, it's safer to forget your med jewels than to command a pet without your taming jewels. Secondly, you aren't tied to using those skill items in every suit you use. Which makes it much easier to build a luck suit or a taming suit and the worst that happens is your mana regen is slower. For any tamer based template I build, I allocate real skill to the taming components first and then if I don't have enough real skill for all the other skills, I boost the least important supporting skills like meditation. It's also much cheaper to buy those items, anything with taming skill tends to be expensive :D

Taming at 115 will do you just fine. 110 can be fine too depending what pets you're running with. I'd try 110 and if you're unhappy with your control success, go to 115.

As for treasure hunting, my friend used to run a disco tamer based template and he did pretty well with it, I'm not sure what his exact skills were but he was able to solo the level 6 maps if he was careful. That would be my first choice as a template, though you could still do the maps with a mage tamer. I'd try running round test centre if you can and try the different templates out, then you'll have a better feel for what works without committing to anything.

I haven't touched maps myself so I can't really offer advice on that front. Other than the obvious one of make sure your pet stands between you and the spawn, otherwise you will be targeted and attacked. Often you'll see tamers stand under their pet, that gives them a good start point to move in whatever direction is safest as soon as they see stuff spawn.

Make sure you have macros set to cast invis on yourself and heal yourself too. The invis one is really useful for tamers :)

Wenchy

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
When I do Maps with The mage now, I use no mining at all, I have EC and Pinco. Swaps nothing and runs Magery/Eval/Med/Inscription/Cart/Lockpicking/Resist Spells. I let Med creep to 120, I do not notice it really. I was using Luck 'Bleue' set, but having a bit of trouble with timing. Not dieing at all, but fizzle/run away. Made myself some jewlery and pushed int to 150, and Magery to 120. Never failing on EV or Meteor Strike/Chain Lightning + Demon Slayer spell book (or undead) .. cleans up Malas maps nicely. An Explosion + Flamestrike combo is good for 300+ on a slayer hit

Anc Wyrms make me nervous, and having gotten quick at Malas 6 and 7, I stopped doing other ones. The way I read things, the Tamer Thunter is superior to the Mage T hunter. Now, I have been interpreting that as superior when doing Treasure Maps.... now this is turning into a Thunter specific question.

As it stands, I precast 2 EV's and recall 2 screens away when chest pops. I try and recast an EV. and when it lets me, I know it is time to run back in and feed more. At that time I start mopping up. Minotaurs are actually the slowest to go, since I need to let EV do most of it, on a L7 with Mino Genreral, all of it lol except for finisher. That being said, if a Tamer Thunter would not clear a chest 'faster' or be able to do maps on different facets faster (Mage takes me about 10 mins start to finish for a L6, I loot all ((2 trips)) and blow stuff up at home), I would be dissapointed; My goal is not 'different', my goal is 'better,faster,stronger (hee hee)'

Edit - The problem I have with Maps not on Malas, is things like Anc Wyrms tend to dispel EV's alot, and often.

-Loren

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When I do Maps with The mage now, I use no mining at all, I have EC and Pinco. Swaps nothing and runs Magery/Eval/Med/Inscription/Cart/Lockpicking/Resist Spells. I let Med creep to 120, I do not notice it really. I was using Luck 'Bleue' set, but having a bit of trouble with timing. Not dieing at all, but fizzle/run away. Made myself some jewlery and pushed int to 150, and Magery to 120. Never failing on EV or Meteor Strike/Chain Lightning + Demon Slayer spell book (or undead) .. cleans up Malas maps nicely. An Explosion + Flamestrike combo is good for 300+ on a slayer hit

Anc Wyrms make me nervous, and having gotten quick at Malas 6 and 7, I stopped doing other ones. The way I read things, the Tamer Thunter is superior to the Mage T hunter. Now, I have been interpreting that as superior when doing Treasure Maps.... now this is turning into a Thunter specific question.

As it stands, I precast 2 EV's and recall 2 screens away when chest pops. I try and recast an EV. and when it lets me, I know it is time to run back in and feed more. At that time I start mopping up. Minotaurs are actually the slowest to go, since I need to let EV do most of it, on a L7 with Mino Genreral, all of it lol except for finisher. That being said, if a Tamer Thunter would not clear a chest 'faster' or be able to do maps on different facets faster (Mage takes me about 10 mins start to finish for a L6, I loot all ((2 trips)) and blow stuff up at home), I would be dissapointed; My goal is not 'different', my goal is 'better,faster,stronger (hee hee)'

Edit - The problem I have with Maps not on Malas, is things like Anc Wyrms tend to dispel EV's alot, and often.

-Loren
If you are not already a tamer already, you really should consider the Mystic route suggested by Bealank. Your strategy will stay about the same, but the Rising Colossus will kill faster than the EVs. For those mobs like the AW you can ebolt them with a dragon slayer then WOD to finish them.

Race: Would still prolly recommend Garg, but it is less annoying because you can mount up until you are ready to cast if you are human or elf.

Skills:
Magery 120
Eval 120
Mystic 120
Focus 120
Spellweaving 120
Cart 100 swapped with 100 lockpicking after the maps are decoded.
Hiding (or anything else you may want to use if you are an elf or gargoyle - wont matter if you are human with JOAT)

Suit:
100 LRC, 40 LMC with all the mana regen, + mana, and SDI you can pack in.

Loren

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
If you are not already a tamer already, you really should consider the Mystic route suggested by Bealank. Your strategy will stay about the same, but the Rising Colossus will kill faster than the EVs. For those mobs like the AW you can ebolt them with a dragon slayer then WOD to finish them.

Race: Would still prolly recommend Garg, but it is less annoying because you can mount up until you are ready to cast if you are human or elf.

Skills:
Magery 120
Eval 120
Mystic 120
Focus 120
Spellweaving 120
Cart 100 swapped with 100 lockpicking after the maps are decoded.
Hiding (or anything else you may want to use if you are an elf or gargoyle - wont matter if you are human with JOAT)

Suit:
100 LRC, 40 LMC with all the mana regen, + mana, and SDI you can pack in.
Thanks for all the replies. That is interesting. It would require more finesse in approaches, and I would need more separation of initial spawn before engagement. Knowing I am not going to fizzle, riding in mounted with a pre-casted EV, or Meteor Strike and being able to flee -I mean Tactically Retreat - immediately after dropping ordnance is addicting easy style. I do not even run protection, but I definitely would if using a 5 slot pet. Minotaur style guardians switch aggro, for varying lengths of time, as soon as they take damage from a cast, so the mobility of full speed mounted is part of my strategy.

That template is interesting. I will give it some thought.

Loren

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for all the replies. That is interesting. It would require more finesse in approaches, and I would need more separation of initial spawn before engagement. Knowing I am not going to fizzle, riding in mounted with a pre-casted EV, or Meteor Strike and being able to flee -I mean Tactically Retreat - immediately after dropping ordnance is addicting easy style. I do not even run protection, but I definitely would if using a 5 slot pet. Minotaur style guardians switch aggro, for varying lengths of time, as soon as they take damage from a cast, so the mobility of full speed mounted is part of my strategy.

That template is interesting. I will give it some thought.

Loren
Sounds like a gargish mystic would be perfect... mounted speed with a 5 slot RC that you don't have to worry about keeping alive, you just cast another when it dies.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I usually just drop it before the chest pops, invis, wait for it aggro something and move away quickly to invis a bit farther away.
Then when it is about to end or die, I cast arcane empowerment, drop a new RC and invis again.

You should be able to do this quickly enough before stuff aggro on you. Also, cast invis and cast it again shortly after if there are casting capable monsters among the spawn. They will cast reveal at you, but if you cast invis shortly after that, they will forget about you.

For big stuff like ancient wyrms, I try to drag one per time a bit farther away from the spawn and keep dropping RCs on it until the WOD range kicks in. Then WOD away and move on to the next.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

A question on level 6 and 7 Maps with that template that you are using....

I assume that you need to single out Monsters and fight them one at a time (using a Colossus, right ?).....

If so, do you find yourself lacking time to finish up the kills before the chest vanishes ?
That is, is the killing of the Guardians plus the aditional spawning monsters taking too long with such a template that you run out of time and the treasure chest vanishes at times ?

Do you prefer to use the hiding skill at Guardians spawn or to recall away ?

Thanks.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
A question on level 6 and 7 Maps with that template that you are using....

I assume that you need to single out Monsters and fight them one at a time (using a Colossus, right ?).....

If so, do you find yourself lacking time to finish up the kills before the chest vanishes ?
That is, is the killing of the Guardians plus the aditional spawning monsters taking too long with such a template that you run out of time and the treasure chest vanishes at times ?

Do you prefer to use the hiding skill at Guardians spawn or to recall away ?

Thanks.
I only need to single out the toughest monsters such as greater dragons, those frost wyrms and ancient wyrms and those pesky changellings from ish maps.
Most time I ever took to kill all the spawn with this template was one hour, and it was because it was a level 7 ish map. Then I had plenty of time to loot what was of interest and disband the chest.
After that I have never bothered with ish and tokuno maps. They don't pay for the trouble.

For fel and tram maps, most time it took to me to clear the spawn was 30 minutes, because 2 frosts, 2 greaters and an ancient wyrm spawned with the chest.
And I use the invisibility spell instead of hiding or recalling away.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A few years back I ran the THB on cats and did community treasure hunts as well as solos. This was my template
115 tame
115 lore
115 vet
115 Margery
100 lock picking
100 music
100 peace

If I wasn't treasure hunting I would swap out LPfor med
I ran a 60s suit 100% ltc and good mana regen. I kept protection on at all times and designed my suit to compensate with higher phys res
I set up a macro to area peace when ever I ran into difficulties.

I am just returning g so I can't promise this will still work....but I know one thing...I hope to try it again sometime now that I am back.

There us to be a trick with decoding maps....I would put my GM cart on this character first....decode all the maps I had...then stone cart and put lp back on. The map would read decoded by rellik and then I could still use it later even with no cart on my template.