• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Looking for a crafting tutor!

Saemon Havarian

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hello all!

First let me say that I am coming back to the game yet once again, and I am hoping I can make it last this time. It always comes down to two things that usually force me to pack up the house and close up shop for a bit. One being the lack of an active guild with members to play with. I am going to try much harder to look for one here on Catskills this time around.

Second, is crafting. I have the gathering part down, but the production aspect eludes me. There are so many outdated guides spread out over numerous websites that all it does is confuse me. This is the part that usually stresses me out. I am not sure what the first step in creating a bow for my archer even is anymore. Is it reforging, runic fletching kit, is imbuing down after a weapon is made? I am hoping I can find someone with a great deal of patience to kind of take an old player under their wing for a bit and get me started at the very least. This may have to start at the very beginning! LOL!

There are plenty of things in the game I can do reasonably well of course, however it ultimately ends up with me needing a piece of armor, an entire suit, or a weapon for one of my characters to progress to the next level. I do not have the bankroll to buy much of what is offered on vendors atm, but I hope to start working on fixing that soon.

Thank you for advance for any help or suggestions you can spare!

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
The most popular way to go (aka Post Imbue Enhancing):
1. Crafting (normal tools, normal material)
2. Reforging
3. POF'ing
4. Imbuing
5. Enhancing (forged metal of artifacts)

Cheaper way:
1. Crafting (normal tools, normal material)
2. Reforging
3. Enhancing
4. POF'ing
5. Imbuing
(you may lose an item when enhancing it without forged metal of artifacts. if you imbue a resist you lose material bonus in this resist)

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You can get some pretty decent stuff - if you don't have to be uber and don't have much money - just by crafting and imbuing, without reforging and enhancing - I would at least become familiar with that first off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LowdownandShifty

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I agree with @Yadd of Legends: Just start by crafting and imbuing.

Crafting:
Materials:
Most of the time, you should craft your items using standard materials (i.e. iron ingots, regular boards, regular leather). I only use special materials when I'm planning a very low-end item (e.g. I use Ash wood to craft GM blackstaffs for clearing slimes since it gives a +10% Swing Speed Increase and it's going to break anyway.) If you want to add a property from a special material, you can always enhance later. @CorwinXX gave some good advice above about enhancing and where it should come in the process.

Weapon Durability: Some items can be crafted with varying durability (e.g. black staff, broadsword, katana), whereas others have a constant durability (e.g. radiant scimitar, leafblade). If the weapon has varying durability, craft a bunch and try to pick the one with the highest durability. (You can craft items with 90+ durability. If you just picked the first one you crafted, you might have gotten 40 durability and burned 5 PoF charges just getting it to 90 durability. So, the extra 100 boards/ingots are well worth the trouble.)

Armor Resists: A crafter cannot craft an all 70's suit without imbuing/enhancing. So, the best crafted pieces are those than will minimize the number of imbues required to get to all 70's; the more imbues you save on resists, the more you'll have to use on adding properties. So, when crafting a suit, make the most expensive piece first (usually the chest piece since it requires the most materials) and look for resist profiles that minimize 1-2 resists (these will be the resists you'll later imbue). I look at the Delta Profile (DP): the difference between a piece of armor's resist profile and the non-exceptional version's resist profile.

For example, a non-exceptional Platemail Do has the following resist profile: 5/3/2/3/2. If I craft an exceptional Platemail Do that has a 10/11/7/4/3 resist profile, then the DP is (10/11/7/4/3) - (5/3/2/3/2) = 5/8/5/1/1. The double 1's shows this a decent piece for imbuing later.
  • DP(0/0/8/8/4) would be the best piece I've ever seen, having two 0's.
  • DP(5/9/5/0/1) is a fantastic piece since it has a 0 and a 1. (I often try to start my best suits here...)
  • DP(1/9/2/2/6) is a good piece. It has a 1 and two 2's. (...but here is okay too)
  • DP(5/2/7/3/7) is a bad piece.
  • DP(5/5/5/5/5) is horrible because it has nothing below a 5.
Once you pick you main piece, start making your subsequent pieces to fit in with the main piece. So, If I know I've got a chest piece with DP(0/1/7/7/5), I won't likely need another piece with low physical resist. That means I may keep a pair of leggings with DP(1/7/3/6/3) for another suit, but I won't include it in this suit.

Note: If the armor is built for a sampire, aim for most pieces to have a 0 or 1 in the DP's fire resist. Sampires require 95 fire resist on their suit (since they lose 25 to necromancy's vampiric embrace): that is 15+ fire resist on each piece => a lot of imbuing fire resist.

That brings me to my final point: studded armor gets an extra +1 total resist per piece, and has max imbued fire resist of 19 (c.f. http://www.uoguide.com/Armor). This means I pretty much always make studded leather armor for my sampire: I can imbue 19 fire resist on 4 pieces, and enhance with barbed leather and I'm already at 84 fire resist, with 2 pieces not even included. Woodland armor is great if you're making really high-end suits (It can be enhanced with heartwood which gives a random bonus property. I put a link below to @Lynk's suit); however, I like enhancing with barbed/horned leather. (Review the enhancing bonuses on ingots, leather, and boards for more details)

Imbuing:
Some helpful hints for saving money while imbuing:
  1. Imbue at the Queen's soulforge (if you have the loyalty) or else at the Royal City soul forge to leverage the success chance bonuses.
  2. Imbue properties that require relic fragment first, then those requiring enchanted essence, and finally the magical residue ones.
  3. When you fail while using special ingredients, you don't lose the special ingredients: You only lose the magic imbuing ingredient and some gems. So, sticking to rule #2 is more important than imbuing your special ingredient properties.
  4. The next most important factor for imbuing order is gem cost (diamonds > star sapphire >... > amber). Find the next most expensive property by comparing gem_cost*number_required*success_chance against each of your remaining properties. Rule of thumb: "Just imbue the property that requires most expensive gem next."
  5. You can get a great weapon without needing any special ingredients. I personally really like the radiant scimitars that @Lynk posted (http://stratics.com/community/threads/my-newest-sampire.239329/) They are relatively cheap to make and only require special ingredients for the slayer property. If you have a slayer talisman, you could just ignore the slayer property and add something else if you like.
Powder of Fortifying
PoF MUST be done before imbuing. That bears repeating: PoF MUST be done before imbuing! You don't have to PoF all your items; only those you want to keep for a while. When you do PoF an item, you can usually just add a few charges to it (4-5). Since my characters are still developing (and I'm broke), I have yet to PoF an item to 255; besides, I would outgrow the item long before it breaks (this is especially true with armor). Rule of thumb: PoF the item according to the amount of time you plan to use it. If it's a uber piece, Pof it to 255. If it's a good piece, PoF it to ~150.

Finally, get smart about enhancing for durability. Dull Copper adds +100 durability to an item (heartwood has a chance to add +50). If you really like a metal item that's getting low on durability--one that you didn't already enhance--you can enhance it with Dull Copper to bring its durability back up. I use this on weapons a lot.

I hope this helps as you get started. Feel free to ask more and I'll do my best to help answer your questions.:party:

Last edited:

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The suit in that post is incredibly old. That was crafted way before LMC bonuses and before reforging.

Everything I make now is studded, the 5 hci benefit can be obtained through reforging. No point to woodland armor any longer.