• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lookin for a shard to call home

S

SteelTiger

Hey there!

I'm new to uo but not to mmo's in general.

I loved all the old ultima games growing up.

What shards should i consider?

I can't seem to find any guides that describe what each shard culture is like.

I'm lookin for a shard that offers good roleplay and good fun without a lotta kids.
I've noticed many shards and i've setup a character on Pacific and am learning the game that way.

Thanks in advance!:confused:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Pacific's a good compromise between a lower population but more mature shard, and the crowded shards of the East coast server (where there's a lot more action, but also a lot more people acting like 8 year olds).

Ask around on the Pacific forum below for advice.

M

Mortagoth

Hmm Pacific is somewhere I should take a look at. I havent yet decided where to call home myself. What are the peak times Basara?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
not sure - I don't play there myself - but it is the largest and most active of the west coast shards. I play Lake Austin, which truthfully would be too low population for most people to come to unless one already has ties to it.

The time I've spent visiting the large east-coast shards makes me glad I chose to play a smaller shard.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahoy and welcome aboard!

I am partial to Catskills myself, but here is a link to the shard forums; Shard Forums - Stratics Forums. You should be able to get a feel for the different shards, population, PvP, PvM, RP and trading by looking through them.

Good luck!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Atlantic. Atlantic is the most populated shard, which means more folks to play with, more vendors, more events, etc. We also have a strong mix of PvM, PvP, and role play guilds. :)

B

Beer_Cayse

yuh - but with all that population isn't there a good amount of kiddies as well? LA ain't large but we seem to have very few immature beings.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Atlantic has more adults and more kids; Lake Austin has fewer adults and fewer kids.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey there!

I'm new to uo but not to mmo's in general.

I loved all the old ultima games growing up.

What shards should i consider?

I can't seem to find any guides that describe what each shard culture is like.

I'm lookin for a shard that offers good roleplay and good fun without a lotta kids.
I've noticed many shards and i've setup a character on Pacific and am learning the game that way.

Thanks in advance!:confused:
If you pick Pacific, let me know and I'll do what I can to get you settled in.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Baja.

It isn't the largest shard but we have a mature community of RPers and PvPers.

We have a first class Roleplayers Alliance with several guilds ranging from the militaristic Town Guard of Britain to the up and coming Pirate Fleet. We are seeking more talented roleplayers to add to this growing community.

We have Event Moderators who have managed to instill a sense of intrigue and conflict in our stories. We have a series of realistic and ongoing stories that often pit players against one another, IC and in PvP / PvM Situations. We are in an interim period as the Event Moderators develop the next scenario but you will be seeing a number of Halloween events in the coming weeks.

Where we are lacking is Vendor Stores. But most people have craftsmen who would be more than willing to get you what you need or draw up a custom order.

Should you have questions or wish a tour shoot me a Private Message.

U

Ultreia

Legends is a great shard. Mostly older players, most of the players are also experienced. Not a super busy shard. If you are looking for PvM, good place. You don't have to wait in line to do things. :) Legends would welcome you!