• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Swordsmanship] Longsword vs Bladed staff (for Sampire)

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I had been using Katanas with my sampire character and decided to re-make the suit and try to go for 180 stamina and use a Longsword.

Then after trying out the Bladed staff I noticed this working quite well. I can get max swing speed with 150 dex and 20% SSI on the staff. This let me boost my strength to 150 and also gain an extra 10 mana.

To use the Longsword I would have to drop from max strength and loose some mana to achieve 180 stamina. Also I would need 30SSI on sword and 5% on a ring.

I wanted to know if there are any major disadvantages to using the Bladed Staff over the Longsword? From what I can tell the bladed staff is 1 point less base damage. Also the staff is two handed so I can't really use pots. I can live with these.

Is there any difference with leeches etc on the different weapons or anything like that?

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I had been using Katanas with my sampire character and decided to re-make the suit and try to go for 180 stamina and use a Longsword.

Then after trying out the Bladed staff I noticed this working quite well. I can get max swing speed with 150 dex and 20% SSI on the staff. This let me boost my strength to 150 and also gain an extra 10 mana.

To use the Longsword I would have to drop from max strength and loose some mana to achieve 180 stamina. Also I would need 30SSI on sword and 5% on a ring.

I wanted to know if there are any major disadvantages to using the Bladed Staff over the Longsword? From what I can tell the bladed staff is 1 point less base damage. Also the staff is two handed so I can't really use pots. I can live with these.

Is there any difference with leeches etc on the different weapons or anything like that?
Slower swinging weapons have higher leech properties if the SSI is the same (so a longsword would have higher leech properties vs the bladed staff if the SSi on both is the same, but since you wcalculate with 20SSI vs 30SSi I have no idea how that would relate).
In addition to that, the bladed staff is two handed, compared to the one-handed longsword. So consider that if you are a pot user or not.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah for the setup I have at the moment I can get max swing with the staff by imbuing 20%

For the longsword I would need to imbue 30% then +5% on the ring. I'd also need to rebuild my suit to accomadate this.

I was wondering if its worth it?

Mirt

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For me the pot use makes it worth it. There is nothing like being able to get in that quick emergency heal.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I use Bladed Staffs for exactly the reasons you mention. With 20 SSI on the Bladed Staff my HML is 62 at max imbue. Not too shabby if you ask me. Potless, I run with 150 HP, 72 Mana, and 165 Stamina. I'm happy with that. The difference between 14-16 and 15-16 base damage just isn't worth it to me. Also, I like the 2H weapon as I parry more with my bush/parry combo than with a 1H weapon. If you can get to 55 SSI and use a Hammer Pick with 180 stamina with 16-17 base damage that might be worth it, but I haven't messed around with a spreadsheet to see if I can pull that off. My guess is I'd loose too much mana from my suit which would still make the Bladed Staff a superior choice.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Potless, I run with 150 HP, 72 Mana, and 165 Stamina. I'm happy with that.
Yeah pretty much exactly the same as me. 150 STR, 160 STAM and 86 Mana.

I could re-build to get 180 stamina and max swing, but it means a whole suit re-build around this ring I found.

I'll run with the bladed staffs for a bit.