• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Loging on erases my macros

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have a back up of my macros. for the ingame macro client. Everytime I log on it erases my macros for my main charactor. its infuryating beyond beliefe. Any clue? any people who have had this happen.

T

Teeshy

Are you playing KR?

*edits* I was about to post that in KR you need to set your macros up, then log out to main menu to "set" them - but as I was typing it, I suddenyl couldn't remember if it was log out to main menu, or exit game completely, am trying to find out, but if you're not playing in KR it will be a moot point ;))

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Chara names are not the same are they.?. I had that problem on 2 characters, even tho one was all caps vs all small letters it would erase them every time. Also if by chance you do a space after imputing log on info it will log you on but no macroes. How you can tell this is when you log off it will say, Unable to write to file "xxxx"

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When I've had that happen it was for one of two reasons:

1. I used a disguise kit and changed my name.

2. I accidentally put a space in after my account name....

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a back up of my macros. for the ingame macro client. Everytime I log on it erases my macros for my main charactor. its infuryating beyond beliefe. Any clue? any people who have had this happen.
Might wanna see if Rico got em.

Did you hide them in a pouch?

Did they weigh more than 12 stones?

I heard they were going to make macros stealable...and not insurable. I heard it makes the game more fun.

I heard that if you have to make new macros every time you log in, it takes the game off "Easy Mode", and people will enjoy it more.

...la.

rolleyes:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
When I've had that happen it was for one of two reasons:

1. I used a disguise kit and changed my name.

2. I accidentally put a space in after my account name....
Incognito can do it too...If I'm not mistaken

B

BartofCats

this also happens when your folder itself is bugged in such a way that nothing can be written into that particular characters folder. I dont know the technical term for it, but its like a bad sector right where the character data file is. When this happened to me i had to as much as a pain in the arse this is, your going to have to re-install the game.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
sorry no i only play 2d. but if i copy over the entire char file, including
macros2d desktop.uos multicashe and all that
the macros work until the next time i log in.

names and all are fine. its the exact macro folder the char used before just off the old hard drive. its been working for about a week btw, this just started happening.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
another thing to add. even when i have the macros working. if i go into my UO macros to add or look at them. there is nothing there. and if you try to but in a new macro. nothing happens. you cant even enter the hot key but you can choose the effect.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i like where were going with this. due to my life, im going to agree it has to do with bad sectors. RIP macros. prepare to be destroyed. thanks for the imput all. and yeah. anything that changes names ingame. can hurt.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This may work as a "solution" of sorts. Take your macro backup and copy it to the root of your game install. Now all characters who don't have macros set up will use that copy.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can only copy like the macro txt file. can't copy the desktop files i don't think. tinker with it. the macro.txt file is definitely copyable.

also remember UOAssist files are in a different location and you must back them up and replace them separately

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yarp.
Well i guess i fixed the problem. completly deleted the char folder and started over. no biggie tho. however. totally new problem, If you would call it that. when i make my new macros, they work and all its just that when i make them under the keystroke, it doesnt show that i want F8 to hide. but when i apply the macro F8 hides. whats the deal with that. its just *blank* use skill hide. when you should the F8 there. oh well.

F

feath

I'm having this problem too, only its with UOAssist. Every time i log in, the marcros are gone. For all characters.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you can only copy like the macro txt file. can't copy the desktop files i don't think. tinker with it. the macro.txt file is definitely copyable.

also remember UOAssist files are in a different location and you must back them up and replace them separately
Yes, that's right. It's scary that I am agreeing more and more on what beerdude is saying, maybe it's those new hops I'm groing...

Shameless plug on one of my previous post on how to copy macros from one char to another (and what not to copy):

http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=786442&postcount=6

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yarp.
Well i guess i fixed the problem. completly deleted the char folder and started over. no biggie tho. however. totally new problem, If you would call it that. when i make my new macros, they work and all its just that when i make them under the keystroke, it doesnt show that i want F8 to hide. but when i apply the macro F8 hides. whats the deal with that. its just *blank* use skill hide. when you should the F8 there. oh well.
Erm...narp?

Not exactly sure what you mean in the last 2 sentences, but if you are saying that everytime you use F8, it tries to hide you instead of what you just added, that means you already have a macro for using F8 to hide.

Edit your macros.txt (or macros2d.txt depending on the client you are using and which cd you installed from). Then look for F8, I'm pretty sure there's an instance of F8 that is calling "+U s e S k i l l H i d i n g"

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm having this problem too, only its with UOAssist. Every time i log in, the marcros are gone. For all characters.
Ok, UOA is a different animal altogether. UOA only saves your macros when you exit UO. If you only logout or if UO crash, the settings doesn't get saved.

Also, if there are other problems saving the settings, like permissions etc it also won't get saved. Some troubleshooting steps:

Go to "UOAssist\UOA-Settings\<logon name>\<shard>\<avatar>" and see if you find any macro files eg UOA-Macro1.cfg, UOA-Macro2.cfg etc

1) Try to create a new text document in this folder. If you can, this should rule out an I/O, NTFS permission or path too long error. If you do, post the error.

2) Now login that character, record a macro, exit UO

3) See if a new macro file has been created

4) If not search the UOA folder for all files changed in the last day to see if it's updating some other profile.

If instead of <avatar name>, you see a bunch of numbers, you are using a setting in UOA that allows you to differentiate between chars with the same name. In this case, sort the folders by date and login the character, record a macro and exit UO, then do step 4.

5) If no file is created, something else is preventing UOA from saving the settings. Check your PC's event log (under applications) to see if the UO client has crashed. If so, see if you can fix it.

6) Also, if you have no macros you want to salvage, exit UO and rename the folder "UOAssist\UOA-Settings\<logon name>" to "UOAssist\UOA-Settings\bak.<logon name>". Then try logging on and creating macros again.

Littleblue

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think he is saying that the on the macro creation screen in options, there is a little box where you would type 'F8' to be your key and then choose it's action. The F8 is not showing in the box, but the macro still works. If that made any more sense. =P

K

Kyrie_Elaison

It will be like that until UOA gets caught up with the current client.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think he is saying that the on the macro creation screen in options, there is a little box where you would type 'F8' to be your key and then choose it's action. The F8 is not showing in the box, but the macro still works. If that made any more sense. =P

WINNER!!!!!!!!