• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Logging into a faction base

M

mutau

I wish faction bases were areas that you can't log into. They should be just like Champ spawn areas.

M

mutau

because it sucks? lol

we've seen it where a whole gang will log out, then log in the following day while half their guild is in front and we're engaged. just a wish and hope.

(let the flaming begin...)

W

wee papa smurf

I agree, iv always said that it would be better if you couldnt log into faction bases :thumbsup:

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
bit of an odd and unnecessary change imo. Considering the general unimportance of faction base fights it seems like its one change we can do without.

Cadderly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
bit of an odd and unnecessary change imo. Considering the general unimportance of faction base fights it seems like its one change we can do without.

Pretty scary when a faction player considers the most important aspect of guarding or raiding sigils is unimportant.

In regards to the original post, I would have to agree. It's pretty annoying having thieves log in behind your defenses.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
faction base fighting is pretty much an oddity at this point. pvp has gone back to the spawns. faction fights are now heavily tied back to controlling champs and fighting near gates.

M

mutau

faction base fighting and corrupting the sigils is also done to place guards in towns that the opposing factions 'should' control.

how messed up would it be for TB to recall into the town to find 40 SL guards at the front of their base? hmmm?

just adds a bit more fun to the game. thats all.

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you can place guards in front of the TB base?

Why can the other bases not get relocated to a town so We can place guards in front of your Bases.

This change shold be made LONG before logging in or out of bases is dealt with.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Faction guards are not an issue.. they are really easy to kill.

G

Gellor

Re: If you can place guards in front of the TB base?

Why can the other bases not get relocated to a town so We can place guards in front of your Bases.

This change shold be made LONG before logging in or out of bases is dealt with.
How about moving other bases OUT of town?

And as lynk said, guards aren't too hard to deal with... biggest issue is the 35 mind blasts at once that hurt :p

Or at the bare minimum remove all the aggressive spawn from Mag. Those are a pancake :p

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think CoM is the toughest base to defend, with the red NPCs it actually makes it a little more even with the other faction bases.

M

mutau

I like Gellor's idea of moving the base out of a town.

It sucks that Minax is only able to place poison traps while TB is able to place the other 3 types because they can place it in a city. I have to say it makes stealthing more exciting but its a nuisance.

And turning off the ghosts of Magincia would be hella nice. Or perhaps, let the faction monsters spawn in the base? Oooo ya. That would be very interesting.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If anything, the explosion traps and guards near CoM and TB bases just helps to make up for their shortcomings. The bases really were a lot more even before they made the recent base-zone changes.

Now, Minax and SL base are so ridiculously easy to defend in comparison to TB and CoM.

G

Gellor

Now, Minax and SL base are so ridiculously easy to defend in comparison to TB and CoM.
Could you give me an example of what makes Minax and SL bases soo easy to defend? And then examples of what make TB and CoM bases difficult?

From what I've seen of Min, TB, and CoM, they all have a nice choke point bridge. TB and Com have the added benefit of town guards and non-poison faction traps.

Then again, I started factions only recently and play on a non busy faction shard where Min and Com are really the only guys playing with sigils... and frankly Com guys aren't too bright:p SL and TB don't do sigils.

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The mountain pass in Minax is one long-ass choke, and a death trap. Raiders area easy to flank, and nox traps are highly effective. Their alamo-style base makes for a great fallback position. The one downside to this base USED to be the ability for attackers to gate/recall right to front of the "alamo", but that is no longer possible. Minax base really has no weakness anymore.

SL...well...the entire damned base is a choke point, with a couple 1-tile chokes that no other base has. Its 3 levels, offering multiple fallback opportunities. A single detective placed in the corner of the sig room can passively and actively reveal through all levels, making stealth useless. The recent addition of the "chaos gate" allows defenders to avoid death, only to pop back out a moment later fully healed. The sole downside is this base is vulnerability to the e-field exploit. However, there are only very particular tiles this can be done on, and a faction that knows what its doing can turn this exploit against the users of it.

TB base. In order to "hold the lanterns" (4-tiles wide) by the signup stone, you must also defend and control the wall and Poor Gate. You had best keep a ship refreshed in the moat, or the OJ can use this to pop onto the bridge behind you. Defending from the portcullis only works against groups that are either none-too-bright, or haven't been defending long. Against a smart enemy, the portcullis is TB's enemy.

This really leaves TB's one effective defensive spot: The 2-tile and 3-tile wide choke directly in front of the sig room. The enemy stands on a very open area in which to attack you from, allowing them lots of maneuverability. The side-rooms allow for them to avoid damage/death, as well as to get a nice full view of the defense. Defending from this position, it can be damned hard to put any of the attackers into stat. The base also has a bit of an e-field exploit vulnerability.

The bases sheer size sucks. If even a single OJ mage manages to log into the base, or break through the defense, he can wreak havoc with a mission of harassment. The damned place is nearly as big as a town, with the upper and inner walls to evade through. If a thief can get your sig and makes it out to the court yard, you can just about forget finding it before it refreshes. An entire army can log in from within your base, and be so far from the defense nobody will ever know it (as in, their stabled animals showing in the screens corner).

Okay. CoM base. I don't need to touch this one. CoM base sucks in all aspects, has a very big vulnerability from ships, has no real choke point...Forget this base. I don't envy those that defend it.

Now, before these two items get brought up again:
Guards - Fun, but not effective and easily killed. They can't be kept in any tactical point of the base, so they serve more as a delaying tactic than anything. For TB or CoM to have any use with guards, they must defend at the front of the base. From this position, they can also be attacked by enemy guards. So any faction can use the guards to really accomplish the same means. They just have to take the town first.

Explosion traps - Can no longer be defended from a tactical point in either CoM or TB base, and so are easily disarmed. If you don't have a trap remover in your guild/alliance, than you simply aren't prepared for factions. Most TB and CoM defenders don't waste their valuable trap slots on these anymore. Its all about the nox, baby.

Anyhow, sorry for the rambling paragraphs and crap. I'm a bit too drunk. :danceb:

G

Gellor

Nonel... TYVM for you insight.

If you don't mind, can you recommend a shard to watch faction battles on? I'd like to watch some good faction battles :thumbsup:

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly, I do not know anymore. Great Lakes was THE destination for true faction battles in the post-AoS UO. But the base fights have died recently...

However, the sigils on said shard will be coming up soon (tomorrow, I think, but I'm terrible with timing)...and I'm going to do my best to make sure some damned fine raids and defenses get going.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly, I do not know anymore. Great Lakes was THE destination for true faction battles in the post-AoS UO. But the base fights have died recently...

However, the sigils on said shard will be coming up soon (tomorrow, I think, but I'm terrible with timing)...and I'm going to do my best to make sure some damned fine raids and defenses get going.
Dang and of course they come up when I have to work!

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Never FEAR!

Torem and Anthuis RIDE AGAIN! and Maybe Dea, Pyro and Jamin if you are all unlucky enough for the planets to align like that. TEE HEE!

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never FEAR!

Torem and Anthuis RIDE AGAIN! and Maybe Dea, Pyro and Jamin if you are all unlucky enough for the planets to align like that. TEE HEE!
YEA! Poor Gracie is so out of practice, I am sure she will die alot!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never FEAR!

You're back?? Hmmm.

Did anyone here get on Retribution before the end of the open beta and look at the new champ spawn areas? (I know JC did. I checked out his house that was sitting almost on top of one of the altars.)

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never FEAR!

Once again we are on opposite teams!

Cardell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's about time you come back! Geez!
Its like.. cocaine.. it pulls me back.. every time... I don't even like the game.. I think its the Devs... I'm attracted to the devs.. There is nothing more enjoyable to me, than watching people screw up over and over and over again and seriously not know they are doing it. It's a joke. It's amazing. It's an amazing joke, that makes me lol every time its told. I don't want to miss the next time someone tells that joke... how could I? I know its gonna make me laugh.

U

UltimateNoob

Pretty scary when a faction player considers the most important aspect of guarding or raiding sigils is unimportant.

In regards to the original post, I would have to agree. It's pretty annoying having thieves log in behind your defenses.
I don't mind when enemy faction members try to log out in my base. Whenever I go there the first thing I do is track, reveal, and kill any faction enemy. Even better if they are timing out cause when they log in they will be in stat. And if they log in when I'm there, no problem... I welcome every opportunity to fight.

U

UltimateNoob

I think CoM is the toughest base to defend, with the red NPCs it actually makes it a little more even with the other faction bases.
The red NPCs attack the CoM people too.

U

UltimateNoob

Everything depends on who controls each town.

The order faction bases are in Britain and Magincia, which gives a slight advantage for factions that control those towns and a slight disadvantage for factions with bases in enemy controlled towns. Trinsic is part of this too... strategically it is an extension of Magincia since almost all the sigils pass through the trinsic pixie dust.

The chaos factions have less variation in the security of their bases, but the chaos factions can defend their sigils by trapping and guarding the towns containing the order faction bases. The fight doesn't have to happen at your base. If you know who's stealing your sigils you don't have to keep them out of your base - you can try to trap them IN your base and kill them or go to their base and try to keep them out and kill them.

M

mutau

the convo ended on the 19th of last month and you revive the thread? go start one.