• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Little advice for a returning player

Dai Shan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hello,

I am a returning player to Europa shard. I quit playing around 12/2001, so it's been a while ;)
I have an old mage(/tamer) that 'd like to play again. I'm a casual player and propably will just PvM.

My skills and stats are:

STR 101
DEX 25
INT 104

Magery 100
Eval 100
Meditation 100
Wrestling 99
Resisting 83
Hiding 51

Animal taming 81
Animal lore 86

A bit of an mix-and-max that worked at least back in 2000. I'm thinking of maybe dropping taming completely, there was no Vet back in the days either. Hiding isn't necessary either. So my questions are:

1. Do I need wrestling still?
2. What skills would compliment a nice PvM build for a mage? I know there are tons of templates for a mage, but still...
3. Gearwise I need to check quite a bit, since I'm 2000 style dressed in clothes ;)

Thanks in advance.

Drowy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, training taming is pretty hard, so I wouldnt drop it. Maybe start another character without taming. Common tamer builds are Taming/Lore/Vet/Magery/Disco/Music/Medi or Taming/Lore/Vet/Magery/Eval/Medi/Spellweaving. Skill heights depend on suit, how much skillpoints you got there already.
Common Mage templates are Magery/Eval/Medi/Resist/Mysticism/Focus or Magery/Eval/Medi/Resi/Necro/Spirit Speak or Magery/Eval/Focus/Resist/Myst/Spellweaving.

Sir-Crogus

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I enjoy the **** out of my archery/tamer :p but seriously to get yourself to a point to grind out a tamer or crafter I love my sampire...

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
1. Yes, though you can also use defensive wrestling (a combination of Eval + Anatomy that works out 20 points cheaper than having Wrestling), or Mage Weapons, which use your Magery skill as a weapon skill (for the same purpose of melee defense). Mage Weapons come in no end of varieties but generally have penalties which you can counter by over equipping properties in other areas of the suit.

2. Necro, Spellweaving, Mysticism, all Bard skills which also now have a set of spells, Inscription, Resisting spells is semi optional I'd say play with it until/unless you know how to play without it.

3. It'll take a long time (especially if you're casual) to get used to the gear that's available now. But to keep it simple try and get all 70's in resists, 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 2/6 casting. Also note that there is no spell damage increase cap in PvM so assuming you're using that as your main damage output you can equip lots of it and use slayer spellbooks (super slayers such as repond/reptile/undead etc, do less than specific slayers such as orc/ophidian/dragon etc) so try and find some of those available too.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like Lord says, spellbooks of the major slayers are especially nice to have. Depending on if you have an alt./friend that can raise your pets when they die (if you're sticking with taming), you may want to think about veterinary skill. There is no point though in my opinion holding onto wrestling if you're going to be a stealth/tamer (which are fun by the way).