• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

List of things to do before customizing a castle?

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After being a proud owner of a legacy castle for a long time, it is time for a change. So I decided to customize my castle, probably checking out the castle cascade design.

Only thing is: my castle is stuffed full of all kind of things. Locked down rares, containers, house add ons of all flavour including an old guildstone, not locked down non-decaying items - a wild mix of things gathered in my 23 years of UO.

Obviously, I'm a little bit scared of losing anything in the customization process. So my question would be:

What is the checklist to go through before customzing a castle?

I guess re-deeding everything that can be deeded. Anything else? Or does the rest simply go into the moving crate? Any exceptions I should be aware of?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
re-deed any multi-tile add on, or add on that is a container, such as bandage fountain. Remove goza mats, crafted stone walls and carpets. If you have something that can't go into the moving crate the option to 'securely replace' on the house menu will be greyed out.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yes ANYTHING deeded....elven wash basin, vanity, boiling cauldron etc.

Stone crafted stuff...walls, floors, stairs, gozas and carpet.

If there is anything that you are afraid to lose I would put it in your bank or backpack because even though the process is smooth, glitches can happen so better to err on the side of caution always.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just to make the transition run a bit more smoothly I crate up stuff by room. That way it's easier to unpack and set back up as often the rooms will have the same stuff in them as the previous space. It also makes it "easier" to find some thing that I am looking for.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to make the transition run a bit more smoothly I crate up stuff by room. That way it's easier to unpack and set back up as often the rooms will have the same stuff in them as the previous space. It also makes it "easier" to find some thing that I am looking for.
So, you put everything manually in the moving crate? Or how do you manage this? Because the idea is very good!

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The individual room crates get put into the moving crate by the game mechanics.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
What I do when I move, is make wooden crates, use a wooden container engraving tool and engrave them with what's inside, sort of like you would do irl.

So each room would have it's own crates. If you have a kitchen, label boxes *kitchen: food* Kitchen: countertops* etc. Things like that.

Morgana Grim

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree with everything suggested about redeeding, packing up and labeling. Organize in the your boxes how it make sense to you for unpacking and redecorating. The issue if you do not do this....when you remove something from the moving crate you can not put it back. So without organization and labeling you could end up with a big mess, then trying to find items. It will save you the frustration of thinking items maybe be lost. Also, inside the moving crate, the gold boxes labeled "packing crate" could be stacked on top of each other. Don't be nervous if you look the first time and only see a few gold boxes. That freaked me out the first time I switched from old style to a custom....there were only like 12 packing crate gold boxes and I knew there should be more. It was a "whew" moment when I emptied the first one and another one was in it's place!!

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oh yeah, if you have max storage and almost max capacity in your castle....like I did :/

7200 items takes up a LOT of room! So lots of gold chests in the moving crate and they do stack, I did the same thing the first time Mogana...freaked out!

Geesh they need to warn you somehow! lol.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, I think I get it now.

Put stuff in labeled locked down boxes to know where they go after. I have to do this myself, but locked and labeled boxes will go into the moving crate wherefrom I then can pick what I need. Will do!

Thanks for the hints!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Take anything that you value and put it in a safe place bank box/back pack/blue bug. Clear out all vendors. I have done a few castle styles and I have never lost anything yet but I still pack away all the stuff I value before doing it.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The customization runs damn near flawless, don't listen to the tin foil hatters...redeed that which can be re-deeded...and HIT THAT BUTTON. Of all of the things in game, House Customization is one of the best codings they've done. When things go wrong, it's 999/1000 player error.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Garth is correct.

I did a 21 second video that shows, once you've re-deeded everything and taken out all the goza's and stone crafted stuff it's a mere seconds.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks everyone!

I followed your advice an put everything in labeled containers and it does make life a lot easier unpacking. Even though it's going to be a while until the new castle is completely decorated again.

And yes, it did go very smoothly once I redeeded everything. Apart from the minutelong search for that last stonecrafted tile I needed to find to complete the process.