• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Linux - UOCartographer - Mono 2.6.4

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone have any luck getting UOCartographer to run under Linux using the recently released Mono 2.6.4?

I think with this update to Mono, UOC should work now. However, I haven't been able to test as only Mono version 2.4.4 is available in the ubuntu repositories and I haven't had time to build it from source.

http://mono-project.com/Main_Page

Edits:
I run Ubuntu 10.04 on a netbook. All versions are those currently the most recent available in the standard repositories.

1) UO installs under wine with no issues

2) UOAssist installs under wine with no issues
-To run it you need to also install IE 6 (or 7) and under the UOA settings select "Method 3 (Newest)" under loading.

3) Vent installs under wine and runs perfectly if you follow these instructions:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=923017

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone?

Well UOC doesn't work on the Mac version of mono 2.6.4 so probably not worth the risk to system stability to try it under Ubuntu.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Anyone have any luck getting UOCartographer to run under Linux using the recently released Mono 2.6.4?

I think with this update to Mono, UOC should work now. However, I haven't been able to test as only Mono version 2.4.4 is available in the ubuntu repositories and I haven't had time to build it from source.

http://mono-project.com/Main_Page

Edits:
I run Ubuntu 10.04 on a netbook. All versions are those currently the most recent available in the standard repositories.

1) UO installs under wine with no issues

2) UOAssist installs under wine with no issues
-To run it you need to also install IE 6 (or 7) and under the UOA settings select "Method 3 (Newest)" under loading.

3) Vent installs under wine and runs perfectly if you follow these instructions:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=923017
I haven't had a chance yet to set up the newest Mono, i usually just wait for the Ubuntu repositories to update. Though I'd assume that since Mono isn't a straight translation of the .NET runtimes it (UOC) may still need to be compiled under Mono to run properly, as to Ventrilo..Why are you running it under WINE when there is a Linux Native alternative that works just as well?

Might want to check out Mangler, Yes Vent works but I have had issues with it in the past from time to time that's why I went digging for a Linux Native client.

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about Mangler.

It would appear that UOC crashes due to WinForms 2.0 not being fully implemented in Mono.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Now I just need that last piece, UOC.

Proof:

Yea Mangler is great, plus when you connect and disconnect it plays old Pac-Man sound bits.

http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=31435

I redid the "Ultima Online on Linux" page for Stratics a bit back, none of the UO Stratics staff use Linux is what I gathered from talking to Petra about it.

I honestly think UOCartographer would work under WINE if the author of it hadn't picked .NET 2.0 SP2 as the platform to compile it under. For some reason SP 2 and WINE always gives me fits, plain 2.0 or 1.1 is fine, but when you toss in the service packs :-(...

I did a complete wipe of the Linux Partition earlier today so I'm still setting a few things back up, I might have to try and compile and install the new Mono just to check some things out.

My new Linux Mint 9 desktop :)

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nice desktop. I've heard a lot of good things about Linux Mint.

I just upgraded to Ubuntu [vanilla] 10.04, with a few tweaks from some of the netbook-centric distros to maximize utility of the small screen. I am absolutely amazed at how easy everything was to setup. Very Mac-like experience.

My biggest issue with Linux is heat, since I make use of tmpfs and keep my browser cache in RAM. Linux has come a long way. Very surprised more people aren't giving it a shot.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Nice desktop. I've heard a lot of good things about Linux Mint.

I just upgraded to Ubuntu [vanilla] 10.04, with a few tweaks from some of the netbook-centric distros to maximize utility of the small screen. I am absolutely amazed at how easy everything was to setup. Very Mac-like experience.

My biggest issue with Linux is heat, since I make use of tmpfs and keep my browser cache in RAM. Linux has come a long way. Very surprised more people aren't giving it a shot.
Yea Linux has come a long way... Tried it about 5 years ago for the first time.. didn't really like it then. Decided about 6 months ago to give it another shot and WOW was a whole different ball game. I really like Mint though it comes with all the Codecs for watching DvD's pre-installed and the Flash Player Plug-in for Firefox already done out of the box. Since I use a 64 bit distribution that alone was well worth it to use Mint over Ubuntu I hated installing Flash on Ubuntu it downloads soooo slow sometimes. Plus I still have access to all the Ubuntu repositories which are probably the best out there in the Linux world.

Oh I did try to get Mono 2.6.4 to run Cartographer.. it was a no go for me..sucks but I guess we have to wait until either Mono or WINE improves to handle those aspects of the .NET platform they currently don't what I don't like is I can install the 1.1, 2.0 frameworks in WINE but not the Service packs :-(