• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Levelling Question

D

dzang

Okay, I am a returning player, but I've been out of the loop for years now. I started a completely new account and am making a mage. While starting out someone was nice enough to give me a full LRC suit and a Tome of Lost Knowledge to start me out (something completely unexpected.)

My question is: Since the Tome of Lost Knowledge gives me +15 to Magery I want to know if this is going to slow me down on levelling magery as I get into the 90's.. I'm at 88.5 magery right now, but gains are few and far between at this point. Is using the Tome what's slowing me down on gains or am I just too impatient?

Am I progressing my character at the right rate? I've been playing now for four days and I'm at:

Meditation: 107.9
Focus: 100.0
Magery: 88.5
Evaluate Intelligence: 89.3
Resisting Spells: 79.8
Necromancy: 60.3
Spirit Speak: 60.0

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The tome only effects your magery skill when held.

You need to not hold it when you are training as your chance to gain is based on the difference between 100% and your chance to succeed at a specific spell beign cast. it will still work as a normal spellbook in your pack - it just won't give the bonuses. Even holding it, you can gain on level 8 spells, but it will be as if you were casting it at your modified level. +15 gives you (roughly) a +24% chance to cast spells, if you already have the minimum skill to cast them, which might put you in the range to cast some spells at around optimum gain chance, while making it impossible to gain on others.

is the 88.5 with or without the book in hand? And have you used a powerscroll of magery yet?

D

dzang

I made it to where I am now with it in my hand and casting Earthquake. I haven't used a Magery powerscroll yet, as they are pretty expensive to buy as compared to some of the other ones. In addition to the LRC suit and the Tome I was given, I was also given a 1mil gold check, but I've been saving that to keep the suit and tome insured as I die a lot. ^_^

But thank you for the info, and I'll put the Tome in my backpack and go back to flamestrike for gains.

G

You might also consider holding a weapon with 'mage weapon' property, this will lower your skill and allow you to gain from lesser spells. You can also use it as a melee weapon and gain through fighting with it.

D

dzang

I was not even aware that there was such a thing, but I'll keep my eye out for one and try it out. Thanks for the tip. ^.^

P

Prudentis

1. Ask someone fo a 110 magery powerscroll. They are very common.
2. equip a -29 magery wand. This way you reach a modified magery of 59.5 which will enable to gain nicely on 5th or even 4th level spells. You do not gain skill like a real 59.5 magician, but since you use much less mana, you will be able to cast more often thus increasing your real gains over time.

D

dzang

Really? I didn't think they were common enough that people would just give them away... I saw them on vendors for 125K. I'm on Atlantic, does that makes a difference? I know items usually vary in price and available between different shards...

P

Prudentis

First of all, don't trust Luna prices.
Luna vendors are for high level stuff for veteran players, who have much more money than time, mostly

And, while I might misused the word "common", they are much more common than the 120's powerscrolls, which are the really expansive ones.
I am pretty sure, that you will be able to find some helpful veteran players, who will be willing to give you the lower ones for free.

D

dzang

LULZ! That tickles me on the inside that you knew exactly where I saw prices like that. *laughing* Alright, I'll ask around new haven and see if anyone will help me out. At the very least I can pick up a wand there. I see them laying around all the time. <^_^>

G

figure Luna prices as top-end +20%. wander the countryside or haunt auctions and you might just find what you want a lot cheaper.

Example: Bracelet of Health was on LA Luna priced a 10 mill. Saw it on another place for 3 mill but hadn't the cash for it. Four months later nabbed one for 450K at an auction. The economy had dropped in the meantime but it was still 1.5 mil in Luna at that time.

Nailed an all-70s Barbed Exceptional suit (included one ring with Fire +4 for 450K off a vendor right outside Destard Tram on LA. With a slight adjustment to jewelry, I still have all 70s but with some better mods on regen and stat buffs.