• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Leurocian/Dev Team Please look at this idea

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know I posted this on another thread but I think that one has gotten a bit buried in all the other posts so I thought I would post it here for you and others to consider as I really think this is a good idea. I know it would be fairly complex in programing but if it brings back some community gathering then I think it is at least worth some consideration.

I would like you to consider and look into the idea about using the trade window to do enhancements/imbuing and repair. If that is not possible could you make a special type of box or chest at certain areas like say Brit Smithy and maybe Luna or one in the new SA(This might be a deedable item as well that folk could have at their house) that would work somewhat like the Vendor contract only this would be a repair/service contract where you would put your item that you would like to be enhanced/imbued or repaired into and then you would get a target cursor to target the crafter of your choice and that crafter would "agree" to do the enhancement/imbuing and/or repair and a price would be settled on and this way both the crafter and the owner could "see" the item in the box but ONLY the item owner could remove the item from the box... this way if it breaks both folk get the message? Do you suppose that would be possible???? I think it would work... and I think it would bring folk back to communities... you might actually do away with repair contracts if you could do that and then you could actually have crafters plying their trade once more around the ole anvil so to speak at the town shops.

S

Sir Kenga

This would be perfect. I think it had to be done long ago instead of repair contracts deeds.

PsychoKinetic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If the development team can properly implement this, it would be a HUGE boost to not only the community but the game in general.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Adding repair deeds instead of simply allowing trade window repairs was one of the more flabbergasting decisions UO has made.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Adding repair deeds instead of simply allowing trade window repairs was one of the more flabbergasting decisions UO has made.
Oh I agree... I know something like this should have been done instead but that is past...... with the idea of a new disk on the horizon this is the perfect time to try to get something like this implimented.

F

Fox (Europa)

If the trade window was used for this then it needs a 'Confirm' box to tick. You don't want to get the situation where someones offers to buy an item, asks to look at it then can destroy it by trying to enhance/repair it against the seller's wishes.

Other than that - excellent idea!

Fox

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If the trade window was used for this then it needs a 'Confirm' box to tick. You don't want to get the situation where someones offers to buy an item, asks to look at it then can destroy it by trying to enhance/repair it against the seller's wishes.

Fox
That's why I suggested the special "box" be placed at various crafting areas.. for public use. I think the "Box" would work much, much better than the trade window for that very reason. This way the crafter and the item owner both have to agree to the Transaction.

D

Dicimiie

If this were to be implemented, replacing the commodity deeds and bringing back customer/crafter interaction once again, I would come back. I said this two weeks ago, and I'm saying it again.

Commodity deeds were the single biggest reason why I left originally. And they are why I only played for 6 months the second time.

I'm primarily a crafter, specifically a smith/tailor, and I so miss the days of crafters hanging out at the forge with a line of people waiting to have items repaired. I never charged for my services (although I never turned down a tip :) ). I did it because that is what I enjoyed doing. Imbuing sounds like it might be a step towards bringing the interaction back some, but being able to repair was my primary goal... always.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is an old idea re-hashed yet again. By now, the UO dev's are aware of this.

...and yes. It is a very good idea.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I very much miss both crafting and hanging out at the smithy and going there to get my repairs.... I recall I would specifically search out my favorite smith his name was Pork Chop Jesus.... I was always disappointed if he wasn't there.

S

Sir Willy

I really dont see why this would be to hard for them to do. I mean they basically changed Uo's interface to match wow's anyways, why not take the enhance items from wow too, but in this case, enhance/repair

M

Martyna Z'muir

Anything that enhances player to player interaction in a secure fashion should be implemented. Repair deeds should go they way of the dinosaur.

Enhance the usefulness of the crafter characters beyond mules and vendor inventory fillers.

Heck, go one step further to increase player interactions - Decrease the vendor count of ANY house to 5. Down with the tacky mega-malls!

TandaBSK

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the idea of community is great! I won't even use my crafter to enhance etc for any stranger. I've been accused of stealing an item before because folks can't see what happens to what they give you.

There was a lot of good times standing at the smithy shop talking about who is fighting what. What works etc.

A

Ariakas_RKR

Great idea Malag! I think this would help with social interactions in game bring back some old parts of UO.

B

Brucie Kibbutz

Did you check your PM's? You probably got a message something along the lines of:

"Your message was ignored by: The Development Staff of UO"

Seriously, good idea. Good ideas get ignored. But hey, maybe you'll make it on to one of the two Five on Friday questions. That's of course unless Jeremy wants to know why her pack closes when she dies and she "digs deep" to find out why in the code.

E

Evilminion

This really is a good idea. :) :)

On the one hand, I don't mind repair deeds; they're certainly handy when I don't feel like stripping a character and dumping his stuff in a box for my crafter to fix up. But on the other hand, I really do miss the days when the blacksmith's shop in Britain was almost more crowded than the bank, with everyone standing around and conversing while having their armor banged back together. It definitely gave the town a sense of community.

I'd love to see that again!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thank you for the replies. Keep them coming as I don't want to let this die. Perhaps with enough positive response the Dev's will take notice... and perhaps give some thought on the idea...

eve

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, yes..... a thousand times yes.

get rid of the deeds..... get the crafters back in the shops.... in all those depressingly empty cities....

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This has been brought to the attention of the powers that be already.

Truly happy to see you still hard at work.

One question I would love to ask that we didn't get asked. Since embuing is coming will we finally get the ability to embue/enhance/repair in a trade window?
Hi Phantus!

I don't know of any immediate plans to allow imbuing/enhance/repair in a trade window. I'll mention this to the team and get their input on it. This is a good question.

Thanks!

Patrick "Leurocian" Malott
Lead Game Designer, Ultima Online
Mythic Entertainment, an EA Studio

eve

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good phantus......... then the idea has been planted....

now maybe we need a show of hands (or posts, as it were) from others who would like to see this put in place.

we lost so much when they added the deeds.........

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe instead of a special window or checkbox, just have it so when someone tries to repair/imbue an item in the trade window, the owner of the item gets a pop up box that says "Allow <player name> to attempt to repair/imbue <name of item>?"

That way they can just click no if they need/want to.

E

Eslake

Fox
That isn't a problem either.
Open Trade window with items.

One or the other attempts a repair or enhance on item(s) in the window.
The window changes from a Trade window to a Repair window.

The repair/ehance has not happened yet, and does not until both check their Accept gem. No items ever trade, and the repair/enhance attempt occurs only if both agree to it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's not a half bad idea....... Anything is better than the repair contracts.... something that brings back some actual interaction...... and gives my crafters a use again other than just for my own personal use. I so miss standing about the forge listening to the talk of the day.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On top of the trade window for items modification there is the matter of the soul forge needed for imbuing. If that is made in a central area and not as a home addon it will allow that brit forge community feel to occur once again where people amass around the grand soul forge to to do their work. I'd like to see that happen and hope that is the goal and plan of the soul forge. It would be a missed opportunity if not.

J

JiggleNuts

I hate to say it, but this idea has been posted, and posted, and reposted for the past oh... 4, 5, maybe even 6 years. The devs really don't listen to players in this game... hence everyone I used to know in UO is long gone.

Believe me, we had discussion groups to work out the changes that crafting needed to be "reborn" in UO. This thing about imbuing seems to have come directly from our discussions... however we suggested it upwards of 3-4 years ago (maybe even longer). Does it really take that long to see that 'essential' game systems like crafting are totally useless in UO?

It's sad... I come to the forums once in a while to check up on UO, but I can't seem to bring myself to actually log in.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I think the best way would be to use the tradewindow but it would need new options where the owner of the item could mark "allow repair" or allow enhanging.
Using that options would inactive the trade option so the item always will go back in the owners backpack after the repair/enhanging are done if it do not break or if the window is canceled.

The owner will have to mark that options each time he want to allow repair or enhanging.

That will stop players from abusing it to break items they ask to see in a tradewindow.

You could add an options more. "Only allow if min []GM, []Legend crafter"

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As problematic as the trade window is now I really don't think they could do it right and I'm sure this would somehow get abused to either dupe or destroy things or worse yet somehow steal things from other characters which is why I really thing it needs to be a stationary box... either something that is at all NPC craft shops and/or something that a player can place in their home... though I'd rather it was only at NPC craftshops..... Though perhaps a person could have a special "token" talisman that you could wear as a crafter that someone else could click and "initiate" a transaction such as repair, enhancement or embuing... and that would bring up a "special" trade style window that was "one way only".... But then how would you propose the crafter got paid???? Perhaps an agreed price would be put in and it would "auto" withdraw from the asker to the crafters bank... but I don't know..... Otherwise doing it with the regular trade window as it is now I think would be FAR too risky.

C

Connor_Graham

Though perhaps a person could have a special "token" talisman that you could wear as a crafter that someone else could click and "initiate" a transaction such as repair, enhancement or embuing... and that would bring up a "special" trade style window that was "one way only".... But then how would you propose the crafter got paid???? Perhaps an agreed price would be put in and it would "auto" withdraw from the asker to the crafters bank... but I don't know..... Otherwise doing it with the regular trade window as it is now I think would be FAR too risky.
I would much prefer a way for crafters to be able to Enhance or Imbue wherever they happen to be. I drop runes for my vendor house regularly, after which I'll sit at my house with one of my crafters, either filling Bods or burning runics, so that I may interact with my customers as they come by. My customers appreciate my personalized type of service, and I'd hate to lose that rapport, which I would if I had to leave the house every time someone wanted something enhanced or imbued.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would much prefer a way for crafters to be able to Enhance or Imbue wherever they happen to be. I drop runes for my vendor house regularly, after which I'll sit at my house with one of my crafters, either filling Bods or burning runics, so that I may interact with my customers as they come by. My customers appreciate my personalized type of service, and I'd hate to lose that rapport, which I would if I had to leave the house every time someone wanted something enhanced or imbued.
I own a "Bazaar" Where on occasion my crafter and other crafters from the RP community go and we do crafting on demand sort of ..... creating anything we can ..... However most folk totally don't get the concept..... and ask for things like..... "Can you make me a pair of sleeves with 20/22/15/5/25?"..... Or I want a Clothing Bless Deed...... Or Can you make me a Demon slayer Bow? Things that aren't possible..... or they want things that aren't craftable..... they ask for BODS..... and other things... yeah Unfortunatly most don't get the concept.... but then unless your actually redoing your house deco do you really need a craftsman most time? I mean others usually just wanted repair contracts or something... which is sad... I finally just gave it up.... But it's still a dream of mine... as well as doing house design and deco on contract.

C

Connor_Graham

but then unless your actually redoing your house deco do you really need a craftsman most time?
My crafting vendor is my most successful vendor, with the 2nd most successful being my runic-made weapon & armor vendor. When people see me at my shop, they can put in a request for me to make some runic warforks or whatever, or simply interact with me to negotiate a bulk purchase. The point being that I do my personal interaction with my crafters and resource gatherers right there in my own house. My customers appreciate this, and depend on it in a lot of cases. when they're looking to fill a specific need they may have. If I was forced to be absent from my shop to imbue or enhance something at a time when my customers would normally expect me to be there, then I'd be losing out not only on sales, but also on the personal interaction that my shop offers.