• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Lets talk about .... Avatar book and bookmarks

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Looking through this thread it is quite apparent to me that only a handful of players even care about these gadgets one way or another. I invite, anyone that cares, to stalk me all they want over the next few weeks until it no longer becomes an option. It is obvious that Luc plans to introduce player controls into the game where you have a choice to share this information or not. I do not see this as a dire emergency that calls for the game to come to a halt. If you need to halt your game play to protect your privacy then you have that choice now.

You have obviously seen the information available on the gadgets. Fill the information with eroneous data that means nothing to you and log off until it is fixed to your specifications.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Looking through this thread it is quite apparent to me that only a handful of players even care about these gadgets one way or another. I invite, anyone that cares, to stalk me all they want over the next few weeks until it no longer becomes an option. It is obvious that Luc plans to introduce player controls into the game where you have a choice to share this information or not. I do not see this as a dire emergency that calls for the game to come to a halt. If you need to halt your game play to protect your privacy then you have that choice now.

You have obviously seen the information available on the gadgets. Fill the information with eroneous data that means nothing to you and log off until it is fixed to your specifications.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gracie, I certainly don't think anything in a game can be deemed "a dire emergency." I also think the majority of players have no clue about the widgets, gadgets or avatar book. I am an experienced player who does read Stratics and (not as religiously) the wiki/blog, and I was taken completely by surprise by this development.

You and I are players who could care less who stalks us. I have known players who have had serious stalking issues in this game to the point they have had to seek "real life" assistance from the police and EA. One should not have to feel their real lives are being negatively impacted by having their right to quiet enjoyment overridden by a widget linked to the Internet.

We have means in game to limit stalking and unwanted interaction. That should extend to third party programs that EA provides game information to. Means to limit participation SHOULD have been in place prior to implementation.

Considering that the worst aspects of this game have revolved around griefing, opening up a feature that makes all forms of griefing more convenient makes no sense. At this time the focus is on attracting players to the game. Encouraging negative game behaviors is not in the best interests of the game.

I also think it is unwise to unleash features to the world at large. I can see why the Avatarbook feature appeals to devs as a marketing tool. Whilst I have no interest in Facebook, Avatar networking could be fun and benign. On the other hand, even that should be something players sign up for -- not an internet showcase where all avatars are showcased whether the player consents or not.

Consider this: players who are angry at the way the game treats them could very well. decide to rant on their pages. This would not be a good advertisement, would it.

The history of this game has proven that some people will cause grief and drama as sport. Why encourage it?

I

imported_JimDog

I've disabled functionality from my gadget that is either not available in the game or could cause privacy concerns. The following are no longer shown: <ul> [*]Last login date/time [*]Current location [*]Motives [*]Skill locks [*]Bookmarks [*]Friend current locations [*]Lot history [*]Roommate current location [*]List of avatars on lot [/list] Sorry for not addressing this earlier. I haven't been keeping up with the board due to the holidays. Please note that although I removed these items, they're still accessible through the game's web services for those that know how to manipulate them. They're just not as easily accessible now.

(It may take an hour or so for these items to disappear. Google caches gadget source code for a period of time.)

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

I've disabled functionality from my gadget that is either not available in the game or could cause privacy concerns. The following are no longer shown: <ul> [*]Last login date/time [*]Current location [*]Motives [*]Skill locks [*]Bookmarks [*]Friend current locations [*]Lot history [*]Roommate current location [*]List of avatars on lot [/list] Sorry for not addressing this earlier. I haven't been keeping up with the board due to the holidays. Please note that although I removed these items, they're still accessible through the game's web services for those that know how to manipulate them. They're just not as easily accessible now.

(It may take an hour or so for these items to disappear. Google caches gadget source code for a period of time.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Bummer. I've really had fun watching all the comings and goings when unable to login to the game.

G

Thanks JimDog, it was nice of you to respond at all, to the few people that were posting here.

I do think it is interesting, tho, that players have asked for years for a way to see if their roomies are ever logging into the game or opening the house.....so they can boot deadbeat roomies, to make room for more interested players.

You gave us such a method, and now because of a few issues with a few people, it is taken away again. Kinda throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Hopefully, some method will be devised for player's to manage the level of privacy they have, and you can make your widget, fully functional again.

I

imported_Raevyn_baby

Eh, it was kind of interesting and personally I don't care who sees when I play, who I have bookmarked, where I go and how long I stay at a place......

G

<blockquote><hr>

Thanks JimDog, it was nice of you to respond at all, to the few people that were posting here.

I do think it is interesting, tho, that players have asked for years for a way to see if their roomies are ever logging into the game or opening the house.....so they can boot deadbeat roomies, to make room for more interested players.

You gave us such a method, and now because of a few issues with a few people, it is taken away again. Kinda throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Hopefully, some method will be devised for player's to manage the level of privacy they have, and you can make your widget, fully functional again.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am absolutely gobsmacked that you and Gracie - two stalwarts of fair play, have decided to endorse a method of stripping players of any expectation of privacy in this game.
Is that where you stand now? If it's fun for you, it should be allowed, regardless of it's impact on others? Maybe we should take away the accept/reject button so if you want to dipkiss or piledrive someone, they can't stop you. Or how about bringing back the 'Roomie Invite' message even if you are already settled?
Oh, what the hell - let's just take away the boot/ban/iggy options too, for those whose fun is interrupted while griefing other players and lot owners.

It's SIMPLE! If the info isn't available in-game, it SHOULD NOT be available anywhere else. If I want someone to have info about me or my sim, it should be MY CHOICE to give it out!

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I am absolutely gobsmacked that you and Gracie - two stalwarts of fair play, have decided to endorse a method of stripping players of any expectation of privacy in this game.
Is that where you stand now? If it's fun for you, it should be allowed, regardless of it's impact on others? Maybe we should take away the accept/reject button so if you want to dipkiss or piledrive someone, they can't stop you. Or how about bringing back the 'Roomie Invite' message even if you are already settled?
Oh, what the hell - let's just take away the boot/ban/iggy options too, for those whose fun is interrupted while griefing other players and lot owners.

It's SIMPLE! If the info isn't available in-game, it SHOULD NOT be available anywhere else. If I want someone to have info about me or my sim, it should be MY CHOICE to give it out!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said, Donavan.

Thanks, Jimdog, for taking player concerns into consideration. I think your dohickey was very clever. If you can figure out how to make it possible for players to exclude their sims from it I think that will make it really great.

I

imported_remflyer

Thankyou JimDog for now limiting your widget to information that does not go beyond what is available in the game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*reads my reply*......*reads Donovan's reply*......*reads my reply, again*

Boy, you sure did put a lot of extra words into my post.

How is lamenting the loss of *one* feature of JimDogs widget, wholesale support of a full and complete loss of player privacy, or any of those other things you accuse me of supporting?????

Although the ability to know who opened the house and when, has never been *in* the game, it has always been a frequently asked for feature.

Seriously, chill out, dude, Luc is fixing the privacy issues and......nobody is watching you....really...

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
The privacy issue is not just an issue of a few people Gilly. Privacy was a huge concern when the "Where Am I" button was put on our UI with the majority of players demanding the ability to block it.

If some players wish to have all the abilities this widget offered then I have no problem if there is an opt in button for those. You only get to see your avatars and those of other players who opt in for those advanced features.

With an opt in button you could even demand that potential roommates opt in also. That way you could keep track of how long they keep your lot open if that's important to you.

G

Basically I really like the widget for the most part, we just need a way to control what we allow to be seen from inside the game. So if I have it set to private you cant see my info on the widget. The last login date is on Avatar Book, tho I dont think its correct right now. This is a good feature, especially if you want to make sure your roomies are logging in. I know we've discussed this issue in the past. As far as worrying about my sims activities being available on the open web, who but other sims would care?

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

The last login date is on Avatar Book, tho I dont think its correct right now. This is a good feature, especially if you want to make sure your roomies are logging in. I know we've discussed this issue in the past. As far as worrying about my sims activities being available on the open web, who but other sims would care?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. Watching roomies to see that they check in seems creepy to me.

As for your last question, I can tell you who would care. I've known people in game who had jealous ex's, jealous spouses, jealous stalkers -- all of them would LOVE seeing the date and time of log ins and other activities. A rl stalker would find the specifics of your game activity a boon if they could detect a pattern in your game play that was of use to them.

It is one thing for players IN the game to attempt this. You may know who they are and can put them on iggy, ban them, whatever. For some players it has been a nightmare trying to keep tabs on in-game griefers. But, for non-players to be able to log your computer activity is a very, very, VERY bad idea.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Yikes. Watching roomies to see that they check in seems creepy to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

*Why would you think it was 'creepy' to want to know if a roomie-and-run player has quit the game or just plays when the others don't?
*Why would it be 'creepy' for a property owner to want to know when their house is being opened and by whom?
*Why would it be 'creepy' to want to reward the most active roomie with more priviledges....and need some way of knowing who *is* the most active roomie?
*Why would it be creepy to want to know when your roomies play, so you can meet up with them?
*Why would it be 'creepy' for a roomie to want to know when the owner is on, so they can discuss problems? (For build priviledges, the owner and roomie both need to be on the lot and different time zones can make that problematic.)
*Why would anyone think it is 'creepy' to want to know what is going on with your *own* house???

*How could it be considered 'creepy' to track someone you are throwing a surprise party for, to make sure they do not show up in the middle of preparations? Or to coordinate the timing, so everyone jumps in on them in unison?

It is one thing to advocate for personal privacy, but another altogether to sneer at a game concern of countless players for a last 5 years and imply that there is no sane reason for anyone to need information about when someone else is available in the game, and that only the creeps and the crazies would have any reason for keeping track of someone's where abouts.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

Yeah, I think it is creepy to spy on roomies.

I know there is a competitive nature that drives players to want control over other players and roomies, I just don't understand it. I have never taken in any roomies unless I know them fairly well. I've always treated roomies like friends, not employees or irresponsible children. I just can't get into the control thing.

In all the years I've been in game, I never required roomies to be on site at any certain time. It was up to them to decide how competitive they wanted "their" house to be. In the early days, before I had experience, I took in a few roomies who stopped signing in, leaving me with their stuff to deal with. That is what taught me to only take in players I knew. As for keeping in touch, there are in game IMs, Stratics PMs, email and the various other instant messaging systems.

If being in charge of other players floats your boat, and they like having someone control their time in game, I'm not going to criticize. I don't think it is a necessary requirement or expectation for all players, though. And I certainly don't think an Internet accessible system should be available for people to spy on players from outside the game. As I have stated before, it isn't only those wanting to keep tabs on their roomies who will be doing the spying.

PS: I've thrown my share of big surprise parties, and they worked without participants being able to spy from outside the game. In fact, I think it would suck out some of the fun to have that much control.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*reads my reply*......*reads Donovan's reply*......*reads my reply, again*

Boy, you sure did put a lot of extra words into my post.

How is lamenting the loss of *one* feature of JimDogs widget, wholesale support of a full and complete loss of player privacy, or any of those other things you accuse me of supporting?????

Although the ability to know who opened the house and when, has never been *in* the game, it has always been a frequently asked for feature.

Seriously, chill out, dude, Luc is fixing the privacy issues and......nobody is watching you....really...

[/ QUOTE ]
If that one feature is all you are talking about - then I apologize for mis-reading.
However, that feature, like ALL features should be in-game only.
I am four-square against outside-the-game access to sim/player info.
I might be talked into agreeing for minor info (nothing more than I can see for myself in-game). But nothing more.
Information is power and the more the griefers and stalkers have, the more pleasant their days will be.
Then there's this: The more info available, the easier it is for hackers to get a handle on you. There is an electronic trail from the game to your computer, and hackers are very good at finding ways to follow it - this kind of stuff just makes it a little easier.
Not to mention that EA doesn't seem to be too discreet as to what info they put out there.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

*TTL*
Anyone who is infatuated with widgets, gizmos, gadgets and whizbangs should take a few minutes and Google the topic of widgets to see a catalog of warnings. An excerpt from a September 2007 article entitled "Attackers Wild about Widgets."

Cyberspace faces a growing threat from attackers who are able to compromise computers through flaws in widgets, add-on tools that allow users to do more with their various Web applications...
[web security firm] Finjan found in its research that widget environments from operating systems to third-party applications are plagued with inadequate security models that allow malicious widgets to run. The firm also found vulnerable widgets in programs from the likes of Microsoft, Yahoo and MySpace. In fact, the company said, Microsoft and Yahoo have already released security advisories and patches to address some of the problems it found...As Widgets become common in most modern computing environments -- from operating system to web portals, their significance from a security standpoint rises," said Yuval Ben-Itzhak, chief technology officer of Finjan in an interview Monday. "Vulnerabilities in widgets and gadgets enable attackers to gain control of user machines, and thus should be developed with security in mind."

This is only one example. If you spend a few minutes surfing, you'll find many articles spotlighting the potential widgets offer hackers. EA seems to be opening the door for anyone who wants to design a widget to do so. How are we to know what we are inviting into our operating systems by accepting these? There is no guarantee the content is clean.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I know there is a competitive nature that drives players to want control over other players and roomies, I just don't understand it. I have never taken in any roomies unless I know them fairly well. I've always treated roomies like friends, not employees or irresponsible children.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are free to play the game any way you want to, no one is going to make you accept all types of players as roommates. You have embraced a certain, selective style of play, that excludes the majority of players (anyone, you don't know fairly well), which is your choice, but *the game* is not all about how you chose to play, but about enabling everyone to chose their *own* style of play.

There have always been as many styles of house management, as there were houses.
*Some people give everyone a chance...even total strangers...inviting anyone who asks to be a roomie.
*Some actively seek out strangers, newbies and the homeless, inviting almost everyone they meet to be a roomie.
*Some people run their houses like they are a business....since in terms of the game, some of them really are businesses, and ask for certain 'work' hours, to make sure the 'business' prospers.
*Some role play and chose roomies on their ability and willingness to play along.
*Some feel an obligation to keep a busy house open for their patrons, and chose their roomies on the basis of their willingness and ability to help them do so.
*Some chose good friends to be roomies, or casual acquaintances, only, or just newbies.
*Some consider their roomies as equal partners with full rights, immediately.
*Some consider their roomies with caution, and give rights after a trial period.
*Some consider their roomies perpetual guests, and never give rights.

Some styles are intense, some controlling, some laid back, some lackadaisical, and some are downright careless and indifferent. But *all* of them are valid, and none of them are *wrong*. Nor does it mean, that the people who do chose to play in various ways, should be denied the tools that would help them to play the way they want to play.

Luc has acknowledged the privacy concerns and is working on a fix, but not everyone is as worried about stalkers and pixilated privacy, as the (often noted) minority of posters on Stratics.....only a bare handful of even that minority, has posted in opposition to JimDog's widget....and I hope that whatever controls Luc creates, does not punish everyone else, in the process. In other words, that he does not 'throw the baby out with the bath water'.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

It's not a matter of control over roomies. It is a matter of caring and concern. All of my roomies and I care about each other and have often worried needlessly when we haven't seen each other. We all have our own lives and schedules to deal with so we often miss each other in game. Yes, we often use the in-game email system to keep in to contact but many times just knowing that I have logged in helps rumors from starting.

I have another property that is specifically for taking in new players and giving them a home. It is always full of roomies. Many of these players are on trial accounts and might move in one day and then never login again. Why should I have to wait for EA to clean up inactive sims when I can see that this roomie has been inactive since their 2week trial ended. I can easily boot them and then make room for another new player. Just because I don't see someone in the game doesn't mean they haven't been logging in while I was away from the game. The last loggin feature is very helpful when running a homeless shelter.

As for why the lot information feature has to be removed is beyond me. I can easily visit any house in town to see who is on the lot. I rather liked being able to see who was on the lot before I went through the trouble of entering the property. Especially with the current slow landings and possibility of getting stuck while entering some lots.

I completely support an in-game feature that allows players to select stealth mode so they can remain private. However, there are many of use that do not care and welcome the ability to keep track of each other.

G

It should be something we must OPT IN to use, not something forced upon us and then possibly we'd be given the right to opt out of it, far too many in game know nothing about this and it isn't fair to them.

It's none of YOUR (a general your) business what I do with my game time. If they can't make it so I can choose who gets to see what I consider private information, then I choose to OPT OUT.

As for you people thinking it's a great way to track when your roomies are on, don't forget they have many slots to use now. Just because one of their sims, that lives in your house, hasn't shown up while you are online in weeks, doesn't mean they aren't playing a different sim and avoiding you completely.

And for the lot information showing who all is on a property.. that completely undermines a persons ability to hide in game. You should be forced to physically land on a property to be nosy about who is there. At least in that way your prey knows they've been found. It's much too convenient for stalkers to check on every open lot to find who they are looking for otherwise.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

You should be forced to physically land on a property to be nosy about who is there. At least in that way your prey knows they've been found. It's much too convenient for stalkers to check on every open lot to find who they are looking for otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing who is on a property is a gold mine for spammers. It's bad enough when they land and take an inventory of visitors. With this gadget there is no need to land at all.

Nonetheless, for me the potential security problems posed by widgets is more than enough reason to avoid using them. My office does not allow widget use for that reason. Personally, I think it is a mistake for EA to be inviting problems.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

You should be forced to physically land on a property to be nosy about who is there. At least in that way your prey knows they've been found. It's much too convenient for stalkers to check on every open lot to find who they are looking for otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing who is on a property is a gold mine for spammers. It's bad enough when they land and take an inventory of visitors. With this gadget there is no need to land at all.

Nonetheless, for me the potential security problems posed by widgets is more than enough reason to avoid using them. My office does not allow widget use for that reason. Personally, I think it is a mistake for EA to be inviting problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

As Cntrygrl mentioned. We all have more than one sim in the same city now. It is easy enough to use one to enter properties to check on this so-called "prey" without ever entering the lot with the sim they are apparently trying to avoid.

G

It's such a shame that nosy people need to be inconvenienced, poor things would have to actually log in to the game and go house to house snooping rather than just stalk from a web page. And OMG, what if the doors are locked and they can't see who is there? It would ruin their day of play. What is this world coming to...

edited to add: just in case I better add this, because God knows, some here won't recognize it.

/sarcasm

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

As Cntrygrl mentioned. We all have more than one sim in the same city now. It is easy enough to use one to enter properties to check on this so-called "prey" without ever entering the lot with the sim they are apparently trying to avoid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you replied to my post I am guessing you mistook my mention of security threats as a reference to stalkers. Stalkers are one risk, but I was speaking of the risk posed by widgets in general. Hackers can compromise computers using widgets.

Another quote which I have bolded for emphasis: "New attacks that exploit widgets and gadgets are imminent, according to the latest Web Security Trends Report from Finjan. Finjan's Malicious Code Research Centre has studied changing trends in attacks used by hackers to gain information or control of a user's PC and predicts that the increasing use of widgets is exposing computer users to a whole host of attacks. All types of widget environments, including operating systems, third-party applications, and web widgets, have inadequate security models that could allow malicious widgets to run."

That risk outweighs any game advantage I've seen in any widget so far.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I know there is a competitive nature that drives players to want control over other players and roomies, I just don't understand it. I have never taken in any roomies unless I know them fairly well. I've always treated roomies like friends, not employees or irresponsible children.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are free to play the game any way you want to, no one is going to make you accept all types of players as roommates. You have embraced a certain, selective style of play, that excludes the majority of players (anyone, you don't know fairly well), which is your choice, but *the game* is not all about how you chose to play, but about enabling everyone to chose their *own* style of play.

There have always been as many styles of house management, as there were houses.
*Some people give everyone a chance...even total strangers...inviting anyone who asks to be a roomie.
*Some actively seek out strangers, newbies and the homeless, inviting almost everyone they meet to be a roomie.
*Some people run their houses like they are a business....since in terms of the game, some of them really are businesses, and ask for certain 'work' hours, to make sure the 'business' prospers.
*Some role play and chose roomies on their ability and willingness to play along.
*Some feel an obligation to keep a busy house open for their patrons, and chose their roomies on the basis of their willingness and ability to help them do so.
*Some chose good friends to be roomies, or casual acquaintances, only, or just newbies.
*Some consider their roomies as equal partners with full rights, immediately.
*Some consider their roomies with caution, and give rights after a trial period.
*Some consider their roomies perpetual guests, and never give rights.

Some styles are intense, some controlling, some laid back, some lackadaisical, and some are downright careless and indifferent. But *all* of them are valid, and none of them are *wrong*. Nor does it mean, that the people who do chose to play in various ways, should be denied the tools that would help them to play the way they want to play.

Luc has acknowledged the privacy concerns and is working on a fix, but not everyone is as worried about stalkers and pixilated privacy, as the (often noted) minority of posters on Stratics.....only a bare handful of even that minority, has posted in opposition to JimDog's widget....and I hope that whatever controls Luc creates, does not punish everyone else, in the process. In other words, that he does not 'throw the baby out with the bath water'.

[/ QUOTE ]
One time you post and it sounds like you are in favor of handing out this info thru this widget - but then you say you are not (I think), then it sounds like you are in favor of it again and even poo-poo those of us who are trying to lay some knowledge about security on players so they will know what's at stake.

So, okay - I would like to know exactly what your 'baby' (that we shouldn't throw out) consists of.
What info does your 'baby' offer to those who would use facebook/avatarbook to look inside the game at us ignorant sims.
What do you endorse?
What do you stand against?

Cuz, I'll tell ya, your position has me more confused than a monkey peeling a rubber banana.

G

<blockquote><hr>

It's such a shame that nosy people need to be inconvenienced, poor things would have to actually log in to the game and go house to house snooping rather than just stalk from a web page. And OMG, what if the doors are locked and they can't see who is there? It would ruin their day of play. What is this world coming to...

edited to add: just in case I better add this, because God knows, some here won't recognize it.

/sarcasm

[/ QUOTE ]
This brings up the question:
What if the doors ARE locked? Can the widget see behind them for a list of the occupants?

G

Even if we were opting to use the hide where we are in game option, the widget showed not only where we were, but also a history of where we'd been including the time arrived at a lot and the time we left.

Now I'm not positive it showed who all is in a locked house, I didn't test that myself, but considering hiding in game doesn't help, I assume it can.

G

<blockquote><hr>

It's not a matter of control over roomies. It is a matter of caring and concern. All of my roomies and I care about each other and have often worried needlessly when we haven't seen each other. We all have our own lives and schedules to deal with so we often miss each other in game. Yes, we often use the in-game email system to keep in to contact but many times just knowing that I have logged in helps rumors from starting.

I have another property that is specifically for taking in new players and giving them a home. It is always full of roomies. Many of these players are on trial accounts and might move in one day and then never login again. Why should I have to wait for EA to clean up inactive sims when I can see that this roomie has been inactive since their 2week trial ended. I can easily boot them and then make room for another new player. Just because I don't see someone in the game doesn't mean they haven't been logging in while I was away from the game. The last loggin feature is very helpful when running a homeless shelter.

As for why the lot information feature has to be removed is beyond me. I can easily visit any house in town to see who is on the lot. I rather liked being able to see who was on the lot before I went through the trouble of entering the property. Especially with the current slow landings and possibility of getting stuck while entering some lots.

I completely support an <u>in-game feature</u> that allows players to select stealth mode so they can remain private. However, there are many of use that do not care and welcome the ability to keep track of each other.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not that you don't have a point - as long as that kind of feature is available only IN-GAME. That's the whole argument. Widgets such as this present new security concerns to all who use them - and I am NOT talking about TSO only. I am talking about REAL LIFE.
Using these things is like Russian Roulette with the personal info on your computer.

Your computer safety is dependant on two things:
Your security software, and the determination of the person trying to defeat it.

The more info he has, the easier his task. Toss in the security glitches, code flaws, backdoors, unforseen loopholes, wormholes, and plain ol' stoopid mistakes inherent is this type of 'gadget' and your chances of being breached has just gone up by several orders of magnitude.
Choose convenience over security and you will most likely see a helluva lot more inconvenience than you bargained for.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Cuz, I'll tell ya, your position has me more confused than a monkey peeling a rubber banana.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are possibly confused, because you keep trying to apply everything I address to other poster's remarks, to you.

I don't care if you want to advocate for personal privacy options; I don't care if you want point out security vulnerabilities for the dev's, or builders of widgets, to address.

What I do care about, is having anyone that wants to play with the new widgets be called 'creeps' or 'psychotic' stalkers and lambasted for daring to be interested or amused with the widgets, by less than a handful of people, who are obsessively paranoid about keeping the whereabouts and doings of their little pixilated ids, a state secret.

I looked at JimDog's widget for the first time, after he had disabled most of the functions on it....and saw what could have been the closest we have ever gotten to the <u>house logs</u>, that players, have been asking for, since beta. The functions were specifically "Last Login" and "History of lots visited". With those two functions, interested homeowners could establish a chart of the time the house open and which of the roomies was doing most of the work, information of deep interest to many homeowners.....yet, it is suggested that to do so, would be the perversion of the century!

Oh and just for [censored] and grins, they could throw in the "List of Avatars on lot" and find out who likes to use their lot, when they are not around....how absolutely evil of them!

G

This thread is starting to remind me alot of the infamous friend **** thread of days gone past.

G

<blockquote><hr>

You are possibly confused, because you keep trying to apply everything I address to other poster's remarks, to you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or possibly it's because you have a penchant for posting in a confusing manner.

What *I* care about is being put down for trying to point out the problems with these gadgets and trying to help people to protect themselves.

You, and a few others seem to see this gadget as THE most benevolent item ever to come to TSO.
What is in your best interest is to develop a little 'obsessive paranoia' of your own and START caring about personal privacy.
The issue of 'name-calling' is trivial in comparison.
There is nothing, nothing, nothing that can be accomplished with a "widget" that can not be duplicated in-game - but the risk is MUCH smaller.
What I think is that too many people are infatuated with the "cool" technology and are willing to take any risk to get it.

Oh, and just for grins - at the risk of ticking you off some more - all the lot owners are entiltled to is a log of hours spent <u>on the lot</u> by the roomies. They have no need or right to a history of their travels and certainly not any info regarding log-ins (except for their own lot).
In your own words, chill out.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care if you want to advocate for personal privacy options; I don't care if you want point out security vulnerabilities for the dev's, or builders of widgets, to address.

What I do care about, is having anyone that wants to play with the new widgets be called 'creeps' or 'psychotic' stalkers and lambasted for daring to be interested or amused with the widgets, by less than a handful of people, who are obsessively paranoid about keeping the whereabouts and doings of their little pixilated ids, a state secret.

I looked at JimDog's widget for the first time, after he had disabled most of the functions on it....and saw what could have been the closest we have ever gotten to the <u>house logs</u>, that players, have been asking for, since beta. The functions were specifically "Last Login" and "History of lots visited". With those two functions, interested homeowners could establish a chart of the time the house open and which of the roomies was doing most of the work, information of deep interest to many homeowners.....yet, it is suggested that to do so, would be the perversion of the century!

Oh and just for [censored] and grins, they could throw in the "List of Avatars on lot" and find out who likes to use their lot, when they are not around....how absolutely evil of them!

[/ QUOTE ]
You complain that anyone who wants to play with the new widgets are called 'creeps' or 'psychotic' stalkers and then you turn around and call those of us concerned about security, stalkers and griefers as being obsessively paranoid. Sounds a bit hypocritical to me.

I thought JimDog's widget was very well done and may be useful for those who would like to have the abilities it offered. My problem with it was that it bypassed our in-game "Where am I" disable button as well as showed our bookmarks and other private information without our permission.

From what I have read on this thread and the blog, the Dev's have already responded to players' concerns about Facebook showing their bookmarks by defaulting to private. What I do not understand is why they fixed Facebook privacy defaults but did nothing to protect players' privacy on their Web Service's database.

My hope now is that they either stop giving out access to player information which has always been kept private (my preference) or create a new player database available to programmers that only show those players who have privacy clicked off in game.

C

Creed84

actually the facebook is just a redundant feature and serves no real purpose except to take up more memory space and to cause problems. It is just a bells and whistle that has no entertaining value. I looked at it and tried and said... meh.

- It takes you out of game. If you are on a laggy property well lol get ready to have more lag. It is not even connected to the game, you have to register to use it. Can anybody really tell me how much the face book and other tabs in game, that let you access webpages outside of the game, as adding to the gaming experiense? You could pretty much do that any way by opening your browser while in game and if you had those pages bookmarked, opened them up. I kept my thoughts to myself for a while since they were added. Just right now, I really would like to understand how those "widgets" really impact the experience on TSO? I do not see it. I still just open up my browser, goto my bookmarks there and open the webpage, I can even just have them on one browser with the tabs available.