• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Let's play a game!

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Remember when you nervously gave your best sword to the guy working the blacksmiths in Brit so he could repair it for you(because not everyone had blacksmithing), and you gave him a tip when you got it back?
(and you actually could trust the guy to repair your weapon/armor for you and give it back to you)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Remember when you nervously gave your best sword to the guy working the blacksmiths in Brit so he could repair it for you(because not everyone had blacksmithing), and you gave him a tip when you got it back?
(and you actually could trust the guy to repair your weapon/armor for you and give it back to you)

:thumbup1:

and remember when the tide started turning and you had some extreme moments of panic until that trade window popped up showing the were handing it back...

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Remember the day you freshly began with UO coming from another game (Baldur's Gate - me), coming in your first dangerous situation (the first horrible monster was a mongbat in a long floor) and you - as usual using the blank key for pausing the game and there's no reaction.... ?

Holy. sh...t ;)... Never got so dramatically killed the first minutes i started a new gameplay :D....

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
remember faction bandages...
and that damn faction rune you could double click and it would automatically instant teleport you to a faction base no matter what.

So many lost kills on them runes..

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So surprised to have not seen this mentioned yet! But Remember Power Hours!

I remember mine were right down the line... Willa, Trilla, Galadriel, Vincent and so on... I had them all spaced out so I could do one after another and you'd want to do stuff with your friends and they would be like "Um no can't right now I'm in Power Hour.... give me like 20 min."...

Remember that?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Remember when you could blow yourself up with Blackrock?! That was SO much fun and the voices in your head... LOL Best things ever!

I miss it I wish they would turn that stuff back on... I loved Blackrock infecting things I'll never forget the hunt we went on to "rescue" a friend we had to kill 4 Ancient Wyrms. So we went down into Destard and were killing them first one no problem, second one easy, so we are waiting on the third one to spawn and I can't just stand there waiting so I'm running back and forth thru the area and I run into the back room just as it spawns and BAM It's blackrock infected and in vent I'm like "OH CRAP! You guys um... sorry!" I come racing back into the other room with everyone the Wyrm right on my tail I die at their feet from one fireball to the back and next thing I know everyone is dead and going WTH Malag! WTF are you carrying blackrock!?! and sheepishly I go.... "Um... Malag always has a piece on him." Just then one of our other guildmates comes on and says hey guys what's up? We are like come to destard Level 2 Oh and bring loads of bandages and rez us. We managed to finally kill him and it was one heck of a challenge such fun reminded me of dragons of old... And I grabbed the chest off him (remember those) and it's on display at our Castle as a reminder of our adventure... And yes we did kill one more after that but thankfully it was not infected!

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Vas Kal An Mani In Corp Hur Tym ;)

Nah, don't remember that at all lol. Still cast it after every patch hoping it somehow got turned back on :D

Remember when the Devs made it to where if you died in PvP you could not used Gen Chat until you were out of stat? Nah, me either but they should consider it :p

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember these things about pets?
When pets had the "fetch" command? I had a wolf carry 4000 stone of leather one time.
(Drop still worketh, by the way, but only for bonded pets.)
A pet could "guard" inanimate objects, such as a door, and if someone used the door, the pet would attack him, and he would be "flagged" attackable?
A pet could guard more than one thing at a time, and the "patrol" command would set the pet to walking between the two things?
Pets that looted (white wyrms)?

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember having to actually watch out for thieves... at all times.

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Remember when things would fall to the ground if they were handed to you and you didn't have room or weight capacity for them.

I lost the 43k gold I had saved up for my first house that way at East Britain bank in 1998 handing a bag of gold to a friend... You remember that sort of thing when it took you two weeks killing animals in the East Britain woods (dodging murderers and thieves), skinning them and selling the fur to NPCs.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Remember when terror in a can was first released and even the most diehard self-proclaimed Trammies showed up at the keep to do the spider spawns and face the reds?

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I vaguely recall being able to fish while remaining hidden.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Remember when we had Third Dawn and your character could dance, wave, blow a kiss, and fall down?
On the same lines remember logging out of the third dawn client and into the "classic" client so you could be in ilshenar in 2-d?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
On the same lines remember logging out of the third dawn client and into the "classic" client so you could be in ilshenar in 2-d?
Yes because it was soooo laggy in Third Dawn you'd die if you didn't.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Ok back on remember the first year we had Trick or Treating and you had to fight yourself sometimes and then it would change you to a random monster! I LOVED that! Or the April Fools that everyones character changed... I recall I think Poly and I became the Harrower or something and Pab was the image from dryad allure I think... was so funny and unexpected.

Gem

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Remember when houses had to be refreshed weekly by opening the door or they would collapse, and you needed a key to get into your house? If the key was stolen by a thief they literally could lock you out of your own house forever.

I'm so glad they changed that....
And there were different keys for INTERIOR doors....

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So surprised to have not seen this mentioned yet! But Remember Power Hours!

I remember mine were right down the line... Willa, Trilla, Galadriel, Vincent and so on... I had them all spaced out so I could do one after another and you'd want to do stuff with your friends and they would be like "Um no can't right now I'm in Power Hour.... give me like 20 min."...

Remember that?
Don't forget the great 8x8 training I miss those days

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Remember when you could talk while hidden?
when you could mine and LJ while hidden.
you could cast sacred journey and hit your hide button in the second between when the mana left and you actually went to the new location so youd arrive hidden.
then you could LJ or mine or whatever.
then the red would cast a area spell and you could stealth away.

i really use to enjoy that.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
gahd, the memories that are flooding back from all the stuff people are bringing up!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So we were just talking about dying in game and we remembered a few more things about death in-game...

Remember when you died and you had to loot your corpse one thing at a time? And if you took too long in Tram your corpse went PUBLIC and EVERYONE could take your stuff. (though it would flag them)...

J. E. Tamer

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember before there were guilds and people would instead "jacket" their name with the guild name?

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember watching people fish in their houses with water tiles that the developers forgot to lock down?

Philly

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Remember when there were no lockdowns in houses and nothing decayed? A Hoarders dream come true!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't know but I remember taking my tamer/bard to Ophidian Mound back in the day because that was THE place to gain bard skills. Remember Enticement?

Lord Taliesin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Remember when you couldn't bring mounts back from T2A?

I imagine newer players being confused by some of the old signs still up regarding pets at T2A entrances, not to place houses in certain areas and not to attack guards over the moonglow fence.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Remember what VDP stands for? :smile2:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Remember the old Noto system, where attacking a blue would lover your notoriety and a newbie, who mistarged a monster and hit a blue player would become red and when Great Lord/Lady was very respected
Attacking good or neutral a few times could make you Dread Lord/Lady. You did not have to kill them, attacking was enough to drop your notoriety
Evil Lord/Lady and Dread Lord/Lady was not allowed in town. Dishonored?, dastardly and dark Lord/Lady was safe in town but could be attacked outside.
Begging capped at dastardly
Snooping capped at dastardly
Stealing capped at dark lord
Hacking up corpses, Attacking good or neutral, Killing good or neutral could drop your notoriety down to Dread Lord

Yepp! Now "Power Hour" is the hour after I click on the lucky statue ;)
The diff is, Powerhour did start the moment you logged in after server down, with the luck statue, you can choose to start it, when no friends is on. I still wish I could turn it on and off, so if a friend need me, I turn my luck hour off and can reactivate it when I'm back to hunting.

Remember what VDP stands for? :smile2:
Think it was the price an item would get on the vendor, so if I wanted to keep the best bows for my self, the ones that did most damage, I would keep the ones who got a high VDP and sell the rest.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
remember when you needed a want or staff with item ID on it to see what you had looted?
or you needed to have item ID skill.

same for spell scrolls.

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Think it was the price an item would get on the vendor, so if I wanted to keep the best bows for my self, the ones that did most damage, I would keep the ones who got a high VDP and sell the rest.
I remember a long thread on the Blacksmith's forum, about how the VDP was calculated. :smile2:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Armor had weight that actually affected stats. You had to be very careful what you wore or dex or stam was taking a hit. If you were wearing plate, then you were a brute.